ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC

GIMME_DATT
Rookie
Posts: 1,242
And1: 586
Joined: Apr 16, 2014

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1601 » by GIMME_DATT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:58 am

Read on Twitter
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1602 » by reub » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 am

The Mets just traded Jay Bruce to the Indians for minor league reliever Ryder Ryan. We're stocking up on relievers for sure. He's in Single A.
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1603 » by reub » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 am

This probably means that Dominic Smith is getting called up. This is the absolute right time to get our prospects' feet wet.
User avatar
treiz
RealGM
Posts: 11,767
And1: 528
Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Location: London, England
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1604 » by treiz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Anybody else confused by the trade? Was that really the best offer Sandy got for Bruce?

On a lighter note, I guess Smith is coming up soon.
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1605 » by reub » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:49 pm

treiz wrote:Anybody else confused by the trade? Was that really the best offer Sandy got for Bruce?

On a lighter note, I guess Smith is coming up soon.


I guess that it was. It does seem ridiculously low.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,536
And1: 12,622
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1606 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm

reub wrote:The Mets just traded Jay Bruce to the Indians for minor league reliever Ryder Ryan. We're stocking up on relievers for sure. He's in Single A.


Nolan Ryan's son? :D
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,536
And1: 12,622
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1607 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 pm

reub wrote:
treiz wrote:Anybody else confused by the trade? Was that really the best offer Sandy got for Bruce?

On a lighter note, I guess Smith is coming up soon.


I guess that it was. It does seem ridiculously low.


Maybe the plan is to bring Bruce back season? :dontknow:

So our starting OF now is Cespedes, Conforto and .... ? Granderson?
User avatar
treiz
RealGM
Posts: 11,767
And1: 528
Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Location: London, England
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1608 » by treiz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 pm

reub wrote:
I guess that it was. It does seem ridiculously low.


I would've been happy if we got that for Grandy, but for Bruce? Bruce has actually been productive this year. Hopefully Sandy will provide some clarification.

HarthorneWingo wrote:Maybe the plan is to bring Bruce back season? :dontknow:

So our starting OF now is Cespedes, Conforto and .... ? Granderson?


Still a bit bizarre since they could've offered him a QO for next year right?

I'd assume it'd be Grandy since he's next up (along with Cabby) in the (potential) trading block.
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1609 » by reub » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 pm

treiz wrote:
reub wrote:
I guess that it was. It does seem ridiculously low.


I would've been happy if we got that for Grandy, but for Bruce? Bruce has actually been productive this year. Hopefully Sandy will provide some clarification.

HarthorneWingo wrote:Maybe the plan is to bring Bruce back season? :dontknow:

So our starting OF now is Cespedes, Conforto and .... ? Granderson?


Still a bit bizarre since they could've offered him a QO for next year right?

I'd assume it'd be Grandy since he's next up (along with Cabby) in the (potential) trading block.


I heard on the radio today that the QO for Bruce would have been round $18 million. The Mets didn't feel that he was worth that much. That's what they said anyway.
User avatar
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,382
And1: 3,244
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: A Man's Gotta Have a Code.

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1610 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 pm

reub wrote:I heard on the radio today that the QO for Bruce would have been round $18 million. The Mets didn't feel that he was worth that much. That's what they said anyway.


Still you gotta offer him that QO, at worst he doesn't take it and we get a pick for him. There's no doubt in my mind the Mets wanted to trade him in the offseason and recoup something for him, but we lost Herrera for nothing who at one time was a good prospect for us. Bottom line was the Mets did this trade to save money, can't say I'm surprised.

At least Sandy is addressing the bullpen, just hard to know if any of these guys will amount to anything.
Utah Jazz
Jokic x Plumlee x Noguiera
Gordon x Sabonis x Ellenson
Winslow x Fournier x Carter
Hield x Turner x Luwawu-Cabarrot
Russell x Dragic x Valentine
Image
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1611 » by reub » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:I heard on the radio today that the QO for Bruce would have been round $18 million. The Mets didn't feel that he was worth that much. That's what they said anyway.


Still you gotta offer him that QO, at worst he doesn't take it and we get a pick for him. There's no doubt in my mind the Mets wanted to trade him in the offseason and recoup something for him, but we lost Herrera for nothing who at one time was a good prospect for us. Bottom line was the Mets did this trade to save money, can't say I'm surprised.

At least Sandy is addressing the bullpen, just hard to know if any of these guys will amount to anything.


I believe that the Mets thought that at worst Bruce would take the QO.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,536
And1: 12,622
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1612 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Yep, bad move by the Wilponzis. Comforting is fine in CF and he'll get better. Besides, there are no other centerfielders on the free-agent market this off-season other than Lorenzo Cain who is 31 years old.

Maybe they think they can re-sign him for less money during the off-season?
User avatar
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,382
And1: 3,244
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: A Man's Gotta Have a Code.

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1613 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 am

Catcher: Lucroy/Castillo/Ruiz. Not exactly anything of note here... I know Castillo can hit, not a clue if he can manage a game.
First Base: Smith
Second Base: I expect it to be Rivera, Reyes or Flores. There's no second basemen on the market.
Short Stop: Rosario
Third: Moustakas would make a great addition here, but I just don't see it.
OF: I'd love to make a run at Carlos Gonzalez, especially due to the year he's having, might even get him cheaper. I wouldn't mind Cain at all, he can hit and certainly play a good CF. Can't see us splurging on JD Martinez. Hell I'd sign Ichiro, one of my favorite OF's of all time.
Utah Jazz
Jokic x Plumlee x Noguiera
Gordon x Sabonis x Ellenson
Winslow x Fournier x Carter
Hield x Turner x Luwawu-Cabarrot
Russell x Dragic x Valentine
Image
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 39,566
And1: 4,870
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: los angeles

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1614 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 am

smith is good but peter alonso is having a very good season that could make him expendable
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
User avatar
mpharris36
RealGM
Posts: 45,038
And1: 17,564
Joined: Nov 03, 2010
     

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1615 » by mpharris36 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:01 am

blueNorange wrote:smith is good but peter alonso is having a very good season that could make him expendable



:lol: :lol: :lol:
BAF Spurs:

C - Anthony Davis/Zach Collins/Georgios Papa
PF - Dragan Bender/Noah Vonleh/JMM
SF - Jaylen Brown/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Dahntay Jones
SG - Tim Hardaway Jr/Wayne Seldon/Tomas Satoransky
PG - Kris Dunn/Shabazz Napier/Fred VanVleet

$47 cap remaining
User avatar
treiz
RealGM
Posts: 11,767
And1: 528
Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Location: London, England
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1616 » by treiz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 am

reub wrote:
I heard on the radio today that the QO for Bruce would have been round $18 million. The Mets didn't feel that he was worth that much. That's what they said anyway.


I just saw the interview that Sandy gave and it sounds like he was prioritising getting Smith some at-bats to prep him for 2018 as opposed to getting anything substantial in return for Bruce (As well as the money saved of course).

Also just read from DiComo that the Yankees and the Mets had a deal in place for Walker almost two weeks ago. Now my question is, was Sandy being petty? :lol:
reub
Veteran
Posts: 2,759
And1: 998
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1617 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yep, bad move by the Wilponzis. Comforting is fine in CF and he'll get better. Besides, there are no other centerfielders on the free-agent market this off-season other than Lorenzo Cain who is 31 years old.

Maybe they think they can re-sign him for less money during the off-season?


Keith Hernandez called the Bruce trade a straight salary dump tonight. I can't really argue with him either.

Allegedly they could have had two better prospects from the Yankees but would have had to pay most of his remaining salary.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,536
And1: 12,622
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1618 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yep, bad move by the Wilponzis. Comforting is fine in CF and he'll get better. Besides, there are no other centerfielders on the free-agent market this off-season other than Lorenzo Cain who is 31 years old.

Maybe they think they can re-sign him for less money during the off-season?


Keith Hernandez called the Bruce trade a straight salary dump tonight. I can't really argue with him either.

Allegedly they could have had two better prospects from the Yankees but would have had to pay most of his remaining salary.


Yep. That's what I heard too though I haven't done any research or read any articles about them, so who knows? But it makes Wilponzi sense. If we would have offered Bruce a qualifying offer of $18M, we could've also gotten a first round pick for him. Moreover, who's going to play CF if Forto moves to RF? Ok, Legares is now off the DL until he injures that thumb again in 5 games. So we can't count on him to be our every day CF next season and the only FA CF who is available this season is who an upgrade over Forto is a 31 year old Lorenzo Cain who will be looking for a long term deal as he probably sees this as his last shot at a big contract. Honestly, I think Forto done a pretty good job in CF from the limited action I've seen, even though the metrics don't support that. I'm also taking into account that this was his first season playing the position without the opportunity to train during the off season for it. He's an excellent athlete and a smart kid who I believe will make himself into a more than adequate CF. Maybe we'll bring Bruce back this off season.

What OF would you prefer?

Cespedes-Conforto-Bruce?

or

Cespedes-Cain-Conforto?

Has Conforto ever played RF before? If not, it's another new position he'd have to learn.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 40,536
And1: 12,622
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1619 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 am

treiz wrote:
reub wrote:
I heard on the radio today that the QO for Bruce would have been round $18 million. The Mets didn't feel that he was worth that much. That's what they said anyway.


I just saw the interview that Sandy gave and it sounds like he was prioritising getting Smith some at-bats to prep him for 2018 as opposed to getting anything substantial in return for Bruce (As well as the money saved of course).

Also just read from DiComo that the Yankees and the Mets had a deal in place for Walker almost two weeks ago. Now my question is, was Sandy being petty? :lol:


Bruce could've played RF while Smith got his ABs at 1B. The player that gains the most from this move is Curtis Granderson and Juan now the he's off the DL until he gets hurt again.
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 39,566
And1: 4,870
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: los angeles

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1620 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 am

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:smith is good but peter alonso is having a very good season that could make him expendable



:lol: :lol: :lol:

alonso has plus plus power and has had a great season displaying power

.534 slugging and he started off real slow

perfect world nl adopts dh
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image

Return to New York Knicks