ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#2041 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Are we really thinking about bringing back Duda??
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,166

Post#2042 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Are we really thinking about bringing back Duda??

only the mets...
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,416

Post#2043 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:02 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:How about Eduardo Nunez for that athletic infielder? I think I'd like him or Frazier for 3B but preferably Nunny.

And where will you play Cabrera? 2B?
We've got Rosario as a lock as SS. Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Possibly Reyes too if he signs.
TJ. Rivera, Reyes, Flores or Cabrera at 2B. That's 4 guys for 2 positions if we sign Reyes.
With Jay Bruce, our outfield is stacked, especially if Conforto can play CF.
We're looking pretty, pretty good if our pitching stays healthy.

Yes, 2B and let Rivera or Flores back him up. I wouldn't mind signing Jose on the cheap too. Maybe we trade Cabrera at the deadline. He's a relatively inexpensive asset that a contending team might value. Especially since he's a switch hitter.

The pitching is another matter. Honestly, what hope do you have that Wheeler, Matz and Harvey are going to put together the type of year we've been lead to believe they're capable of? I would say it's pretty small. So I'd like to see us pick up a fairly reliable vet starter. Don't know who's out there so maybe it's not even possible at this point. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Also, we don't really know if Conforto will have any difficulties coming back from this shoulder injury. And what about Cespedes? Are we going to get a full year from him or will he suffer another muscle injury?

There's a lot of "ifs" on this team. Pretty much at every position.

TBH, I'm not very optimistic about this season.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#2044 » by reub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:How about Eduardo Nunez for that athletic infielder? I think I'd like him or Frazier for 3B but preferably Nunny.

We've got Rosario as a lock as SS. Cabrera and Flores at 3B. Possibly Reyes too if he signs.
TJ. Rivera, Reyes, Flores or Cabrera at 2B. That's 4 guys for 2 positions if we sign Reyes.

Yes, 2B and let Rivera or Flores back him up. I wouldn't mind signing Jose on the cheap too. Maybe we trade Cabrera at the deadline. He's a relatively inexpensive asset that a contending team might value. Especially since he's a switch hitter.

The pitching is another matter. Honestly, what hope do you have that Wheeler, Matz and Harvey are going to put together the type of year we've been lead to believe they're capable of? I would say it's pretty small. So I'd like to see us pick up a fairly reliable vet starter. Don't know who's out there so maybe it's not even possible at this point. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Also, we don't really know if Conforto will have any difficulties coming back from this shoulder injury. And what about Cespedes? Are we going to get a full year from him or will he suffer another muscle injury?

As pitiful as Harvey was last year I believe that money talks and he'll have a good year. Matz' innings should be limited to 5 and I believe that Callahan will be doing this a lot with most of his pitchers. We've got about 7 or 8 starters and we only need half of them to be healthy at any one time. I'm high on Montero too. Callahan, being a pitching coach, should help a lot there.
We're fairly deep in relief believe it or not.

OF depth: Conforto. Bruce, Cespedes, Lagaras, Nimmo. That should be enough.
IF depth: Dom Smith/Bruce, Cabrera, Reyes, Flores, Rivera, Rosario. That's decent depth although I wouldn't mind one upgrade there like Harrison.
Our catchers did well near the end of the season and I'm hopeful there.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#2045 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

I feel like I been saying this every year for the last two years but we have basically had "murphy's law" ever since letting Murphy go. All we need is average luck and we should have a very competitive season. What makes our path difficult is the Nationals (with said Murphs). Basically they are the measuring stick we have and if right now we are a tad short.

What should make you feel more optimistic is that as far as pitchers go we have Harvey, Wheeler, Noah, DeGrom, Matz, Lugo, Gsellmen which is more than a rotation. Add in one vet innings eater (Doug Fister would be my choice) and you can comfortably use the latter two out of the pen on the cheap. Lugo, in particular, has some dominant stuff to play with.

Again the gaping hole we have is at C. Right now we have a sub .300 with pop no defense C who is always hurt.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#2046 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 am

Thrift Store shopping at it's finest. You can't even justify a lefty/righty platoon with Smith.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2047 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 am

Manhattan Project wrote:

Thrift Store shopping at it's finest. You can't even justify a lefty/righty platoon with Smith.

I thought that part of the justification for the Bruce signing is that he could be a backup LH first baseman. WTF? :crazy:
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2048 » by reub » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

I thought that part of the justification for the Bruce signing is that he could be a backup LH first baseman. WTF? :crazy:

There's nothing wrong with adding another 30 home runs and 90 RBI if the Wilpons can afford it. Duda's a good first basemen too. Imagine a righty pitcher facing an outfield of Cespedes, Conforto and Bruce with Duda at 1B? That's a lot of firepower. Plus Duda looks like he'll come cheap.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2049 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

There's nothing wrong with adding another 30 home runs and 90 RBI if the Wilpons can afford it. Duda's a good first basemen too. Imagine a righty pitcher facing an outfield of Cespedes, Conforto and Bruce with Duda at 1B? That's a lot of firepower. Plus Duda looks like he'll come cheap.

Bad injury history (back) and a putrid second half last season. I'm not sure he a bench piece since he's never show that he can do that and he's super streaky. I think it's best to find bench pieces that can play more than one position.
Free Palestine
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#2050 » by TMU » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:39 am

Adrian Gonzalez loses a ton of credibility for going on a vacation while his former team, the Dodgers, was still competing during playoffs. With that said, it's a low-risk high reward move. Thanks Atlanta Braves, for contributing to the Wilpons charity event.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2051 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm

TMU wrote:Adrian Gonzalez loses a ton of credibility for going on a vacation while his former team, the Dodgers, was still competing during playoffs. With that said, it's a low-risk high reward move. Thanks Atlanta Braves, for contributing to the Wilpons charity event.

I mean Gonzo was once one of the better hitters in all of baseball, but the fact he’ll have to beat out Smith for a job is sort of alarming. Mets sending a loud message to Smith, get in shape and win this job. Reportedly he’s been getting in good shape, but that’s always the talk this of the year.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#2052 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm

*enters to Scott Hall entrance music*

Hey yo...I like the deals for Adrian Gonzalez, Syndergaard, deGrom but Harvey Pekar had more moxie than this Matt Harvey kid. :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2053 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Signing Adrian Gonzales is a dumb move. The guy is a cancer and only cares about his own stats. He won't be any help to Dominic Smith. Fcking Wilpons.
Free Palestine
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#2054 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm

we signed the corpse of Gonzo smh
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2055 » by reub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Signing Adrian Gonzales is a dumb move. The guy is a cancer and only cares about his own stats. He won't be any help to Dominic Smith. Fcking Wilpons.

Gonzalez is going to cost us about 500Gs for the season. Where do you get a five time All Star for that kind of money?
The way I look at it is that we still have money left over after this free signing to bring in another good player.
You guys are a little too negative right now for me. Where you see the negatives I see the possibilities.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2056 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:44 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Signing Adrian Gonzales is a dumb move. The guy is a cancer and only cares about his own stats. He won't be any help to Dominic Smith. Fcking Wilpons.

Gonzalez is going to cost us about 500Gs for the season. Where do you get a five time All Star for that kind of money?
The way I look at it is that we still have money left over after this free signing to bring in another good player.
You guys are a little too negative right now for me. Where you see the negatives I see the possibilities.

But he's not an All Star anymore. He's a washed up player who, from what I've heard/read, is a bit of a prima donna. I know it's a low risk move but I'm afraid that this guy will become a distraction if he's not getting regular playing time.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2057 » by reub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

But he's not an All Star anymore. He's a washed up player who, from what I've heard/read, is a bit of a prima donna. I know it's a low risk move but I'm afraid that this guy will become a distraction if he's not getting regular playing time.

He can be released at any time if he performs poorly. The risk is nil and you just can't ignore over 300 home runs and 5 All Star games on his resume. There's literally no downside.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#2058 » by TMU » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 am

I mean Dominic Smith needs to get in game shape and earn his playing time at 1B. It's never okay to see a young athlete come to the big leagues so out of shape. Seriously, WTF.

Getting Adrian Gonzalez reminds me of the time when we got Delgado who joined the Mets at mid 30s and gave us 3 solid seasons. Except this time with Gonzalez, we didn't give up a single player and actually have the damn ATL Braves pay for most of his contract. :lol:

I agree with Reub. If he doesn't pan out, sack him.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2059 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:32 pm

TMU wrote:I mean Dominic Smith needs to get in game shape and earn his playing time at 1B. It's never okay to see a young athlete come to the big leagues so out of shape. Seriously, WTF.

Getting Adrian Gonzalez reminds me of the time when we got Delgado who joined the Mets at mid 30s and gave us 3 solid seasons. Except this time with Gonzalez, we didn't give up a single player and actually have the damn ATL Braves pay for most of his contract. :lol:

Delgado was also coming off a MVP type season, was showing no signs of slowing down at all. Gonzo was battling herniated disk problems last year, big difference. I'm not saying that Gonzo is washed up and can't play anymore, we've seen plenty of examples of older first basemen who went on to have some nice years at his age. Delgado, Texeria, Pujols and I'm sure there are more examples. We're not even paying him anything, I think it's half a million which even the Wilpons would agree is nothing.

Just reading up on Smith, last offseason he lost 24 pounds and eventually put some back on. Back in November the stories were already coming out that he lost some weight and was getting in shape. Your right, you never want to come into the season looking like Mo Vaughn.

However we saw this last offseason... we had a ton of guys coming off injuries/surgeries, and we saw how that played out for most of them. I hope Gonzalez comes in and is ripping the seams off the baseball, I'm just a bit more skeptical and openly rooting for Smith to beat him out because I want to see the kids put foward the effort.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2060 » by reub » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm

TMU wrote:I mean Dominic Smith needs to get in game shape and earn his playing time at 1B. It's never okay to see a young athlete come to the big leagues so out of shape. Seriously, WTF.

Hey I'm rooting for Smith too. But his offense was weak and for a guy with a reputation as a good defender he was terrible. He pulled off some of the most boneheaded plays at 1B that I've ever seen. They were just dumb and showed very poor instincts.

Return to New York Knicks