ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,195

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#2101 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 am

Everbody, let's welcome back to the NY Mets ....drum roll.... Mr. Jose Reyes

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/25/16934154/mets-sign-jose-reyes-new-york
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#2102 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Everbody, let's welcome back to the NY Mets ....drum roll.... Mr. Jose Reyes

Wright at third.
Reyes as SS.

Good ole days.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2103 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:24 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Everbody, let's welcome back to the NY Mets ....drum roll.... Mr. Jose Reyes

Wright at third.
Reyes as SS.

Good ole days.

Bobby Bonilla is still on the Mets payroll.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2104 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

Wright at third.
Reyes as SS.

Good ole days.

Bret Saberhagen still is as well. He only gets a measly portion of what Bonilla does, so he doesn't have his own day so people forget that. He gets only a quarter million, so hey don't forget that.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2105 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
Wright at third.
Reyes as SS.

Good ole days.

Bret Saberhagen still is as well. He only gets a measly portion of what Bonilla does, so he doesn't have his own day so people forget that. He gets only a quarter million, so hey don't forget that.

We need pitching depth so ...
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#2106 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I wouldn't say we need pitching depth because we have a ton of depth now but they just have health issues. Hopefully M.Callaway and D.Eiland can help with that with the way they say they're gonna use our starters.

Plenty of depth here though
Syndy
DeGrom
Harvey
Matz
Wheeler
Montero
GeSellman
Lugo

I still think we sign another starter but not a bigger name like L.Lynn (even though that's who i want) but more like Liriano or J.Vargas or maybe they do bring B.Colon back. I also think we end up signing one of E.Nunez or T.Frazier. I'd rather have Nunez but will obviously take either and if we do get either then our lineup looks much stronger.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#2107 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

I wouldn't say we need pitching depth because we have a ton of depth now but they just have health issues. Hopefully M.Callaway and D.Eiland can help with that with the way they say they're gonna use our starters.

Plenty of depth here though
Syndy
DeGrom
Harvey
Matz
Wheeler
Montero
GeSellman
Lugo

I still think we sign another starter but not a bigger name like L.Lynn (even though that's who i want) but more like Liriano or J.Vargas or maybe they do bring B.Colon back. I also think we end up signing one of E.Nunez or T.Frazier. I'd rather have Nunez but will obviously take either and if we do get either then our lineup looks much stronger.

2B--E.Nunez
CF--M.Conforto--when he's healthy and it will be J.Lagares and Nimmo splitting time there until he is.
LF--Cespedes
1B--A.Gone
RF--J.Bruce
SS--A.Rosario
3B--A.Cabrera
C--T.DarNaud

Not a bad lineup at all
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2108 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Plenty of depth here though
Syndy
DeGrom
Harvey
Matz
Wheeler
Montero
GeSellman
Lugo

It's one of the few times we actually see eye to eye, we have the depth for pitching. Obviously we're going to have to carry six starters just because of the constant injuries we've seen the past few years. Thor and DeGrom are obviously 1-2. After that who knows whose going to be 3-4-5. Wheeler is his arm back? Is Harvey finally healthy after the surgery? Gsellman probably will serve as the bullpen/sixth man. Montero is a huge wildcard, if Callaway really is a pitching whisperer, maybe he can finally get through to him.

I would use one of the starters to actually go after a catcher or second basemen just because of the depth.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#2109 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Plenty of depth here though
Syndy
DeGrom
Harvey
Matz
Wheeler
Montero
GeSellman
Lugo

It's one of the few times we actually see eye to eye, we have the depth for pitching. Obviously we're going to have to carry six starters just because of the constant injuries we've seen the past few years. Thor and DeGrom are obviously 1-2. After that who knows whose going to be 3-4-5. Wheeler is his arm back? Is Harvey finally healthy after the surgery? Gsellman probably will serve as the bullpen/sixth man. Montero is a huge wildcard, if Callaway really is a pitching whisperer, maybe he can finally get through to him.

I would use one of the starters to actually go after a catcher or second basemen just because of the depth.

I think with Harvey it's mostly mental, he didn't have his same control either but his velocity was there last year so a lot of what Harvey has to fix is gonna be on him to get his head right and his confidence back and then hopefully Callaway and Eiland can help him with his control. I'm actually a fan of Montero and really love his stuff but it seemed that his biggest thing was getting past the 4th and sometimes 5th inning but up until the 4th or 5th he'd be pretty good and he did finish the season out pitching better so maybe he can pick up where he left off. Wheeler and Matz are mostly about staying healthy, well Wheeler also has his games where he loses his control but i'm looking forward to both of them coming into the season healthy....please come into the season healthy guys. Not worried about Syndy or DeGrom at all.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2110 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Sort of how NBA players would train with Hakeem and learn low post moves, I wish we could pay and this is going to hurt to say, John Smoltz and Greg Maddux to just come and talk with our guys. I hated both of those guys as a Met fan, but from a pitching standpoint, they were brilliant technicians. Smoltz battled injuries, he had Tommy John, and adapted his game more than any pitcher I can remember ever. In this era it's all about pitchers who can just throw hard and have filthy wipeout stuff, Maddux was truly special. He just knew how to pitch, we saw how effective Colon was with essentially two pitches. Maddux was just an absolute freak.

I truly believe our staff could learn so much from those two.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2111 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 pm

I wish Wilmer Flores would be given a chance to be the everyday starter at 3B or 2B. There was no real good reason to pick up Cabs option if we were going to bring back Jose.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#2112 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I wish Wilmer Flores would be given a chance to be the everyday starter at 3B or 2B. There was no real good reason to pick up Cabs option if we were going to bring back Jose.

I'm a big Wilmer fan and would of liked to see him get the chance to start at 2B as well over A.Cabrera. I don't want Flo playing at 3B though because his two biggest issues on defense are his range and more importantly for a 3Bman his throws to 1B. He made a lot of bad throws from 3B when he's played there before. I actually think he always did a good job on defense when he played 1B.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2113 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:56 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I wish Wilmer Flores would be given a chance to be the everyday starter at 3B or 2B. There was no real good reason to pick up Cabs option if we were going to bring back Jose.

I'm a big Wilmer fan and would of liked to see him get the chance to start at 2B as well over A.Cabrera. I don't want Flo playing at 3B though because his two biggest issues on defense are his range and more importantly for a 3Bman his throws to 1B. He made a lot of bad throws from 3B when he's played there before. I actually think he always did a good job on defense when he played 1B.

Agreed. I would rather see him at 2B too. I hope Calloway gives him a shot. Wilmer's approach at the plate has improved each year. And last year he hit RHPs better.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2114 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:11 pm

The debate on who sucks worse - Josh Smoker or Josh Edgin - just took another turn. And just so that it's clear that I am not taking sides in this battle between two respected members here: I DON'T REMEMBER WHO BACK WHICH RELIEVER! I SWEAR! :usa:

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/27/16940246/mets-smoker-reyes-designated-for-assignment-new-york

The Mets continued their somewhat puzzling offseason by designating left-handed relief pitcher Josh Smoker for assignment to make room for Jose Reyes on the 40-man roster.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#2115 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Agreed. I would rather see him at 2B too. I hope Calloway gives him a shot. Wilmer's approach at the plate has improved each year. And last year he hit RHPs better.

It used to annoy the crap out of me last year and the year before when people kept on saying Wilmer isn't good hitting against RHP's and they would say the same about Conforto that he isn't good against LHP's but when you got Terry not giving either of them enough chances against those pitchers then how the heck are they supposed to get better against them? Of course they're gonna hit against the opposite handed pitcher to the way they bat but that goes for most, if not all MLB players, but you gotta give them at bats against them for them to get comfortable against them and both Conforto and Flo showed that they can hit them especially Flo last year.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#2116 » by TMU » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Yeah, what the hell did we get Reyes for? Unless there's a significant upgrade in the infield, I'd also like to see him get more ABs and play at 2B. He's a decent bat with power. Swings pretty well. I mean, what did he hit? 18 HR batting 270 with decent OPS less than 400 AB. Give him more playing time, and you'd see that he's worthy starter.

Ever since the crying incident, I always look forward to seeing him AB.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#2117 » by reub » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:The debate on who sucks worse - Josh Smoker or Josh Edgin - just took another turn. And just so that it's clear that I am not taking sides in this battle between two respected members here: I DON'T REMEMBER WHO BACK WHICH RELIEVER! I SWEAR! :usa:

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1/27/16940246/mets-smoker-reyes-designated-for-assignment-new-york

The Mets continued their somewhat puzzling offseason by designating left-handed relief pitcher Josh Smoker for assignment to make room for Jose Reyes on the 40-man roster.

Smoker was my boy. I come home from a cruise to the Bahamas and now I have to deal with this? I'm crushed.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#2118 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:31 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:The debate on who sucks worse - Josh Smoker or Josh Edgin - just took another turn. And just so that it's clear that I am not taking sides in this battle between two respected members here: I DON'T REMEMBER WHO BACK WHICH RELIEVER! I SWEAR! :usa:

Smoker was my boy. I come home from a cruise to the Bahamas and now I have to deal with this? I'm crushed.

Bahamas? Then the question is "Why did you come back?"

You should change your handle to "Even Steven." :lol:

Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2119 » by reub » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

Bahamas? Then the question is "Why did you come back?"

You should change your handle to "Even Steven." :lol:

Haha! I may be "Even Steven" for now but my tan will be fading and Smoker will probably never be back.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#2120 » by reub » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 pm

As for why I came back from the Bahamas? Well, the ship left the damn port. That's why.

Return to New York Knicks