ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, King of Canada, Capn'O, mpharris36, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi, K-DOT, Thorn, GONYK, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion

reub
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,428
And1: 1,936
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4581 » by reub » Fri Aug 3, 2018 9:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:There is no joy in Yankeeville tonight.

Should we reach across the divide and try to console them on their beatdown by the Red Sox?


lol, no I don't think now is a good time. Best just to lurk and jerk. :lol:


They're giving Adams a Chance to pitch on Saturday. Good luck!
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 48,525
And1: 18,380
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4582 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 3, 2018 10:11 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:There is no joy in Yankeeville tonight.

Should we reach across the divide and try to console them on their beatdown by the Red Sox?


lol, no I don't think now is a good time. Best just to lurk and jerk. :lol:


They're giving Adams a Chance to pitch on Saturday. Good luck!


Instead of a deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. :lol:

Throwing Adams into a huge series like this is how you ruin a pitcher's psyche. I hope at least it's at Fenway, for his sake.
Image
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,600
And1: 291
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4583 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 1:47 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
lol, no I don't think now is a good time. Best just to lurk and jerk. :lol:


They're giving Adams a Chance to pitch on Saturday. Good luck!


Instead of a deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. :lol:

Throwing Adams into a huge series like this is how you ruin a pitcher's psyche. I hope at least it's at Fenway, for his sake.



It is.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 48,525
And1: 18,380
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4584 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 4, 2018 5:45 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
They're giving Adams a Chance to pitch on Saturday. Good luck!


Instead of a deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. :lol:

Throwing Adams into a huge series like this is how you ruin a pitcher's psyche. I hope at least it's at Fenway, for his sake.



It is.


What happened to all that hitting you guys have? One one hit last night. :noway: Tankees might get swept.
Image
User avatar
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,697
And1: 4,518
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: The game ain't in me no more. None of it.

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4585 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Aug 4, 2018 6:55 pm

Comparing deGrom's season to Felix's Cy Young year, it's amazing.

Felix went 13-12 that year, had an 2.27 ERA.
deGrom is going to have a better H9, BB9, HR9, SO9 at this rate.
Literally the only thing Felix had on him is complete games and wins obviously.

Scherzer is having another great year, but man let deGrom get one.
Utah Jazz
Drummond x Plumlee x Zeller
Jokic x Harrell x Faried
Barnes x Ross x Luwawu-Cabarrot
Crabbe x Curry x Burks
Russell x Mills x Bayless
Image
Lord Commander
Head Coach
Posts: 6,405
And1: 892
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
     

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4586 » by Lord Commander » Sat Aug 4, 2018 9:04 pm

The Sawx longdicking the Skanks...I FREAKIN LOVE IT!!!
BLACKFEET 2010
General Manager
Posts: 8,040
And1: 1,995
Joined: Jun 26, 2009

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4587 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:06 am

Wheeler with another impressive start.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 48,525
And1: 18,380
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4588 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:46 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Wheeler with another impressive start.


He's finally developed some consistency in repeating his release point and control. 70% strikes again. I have to say, even with Matz's recent dead arm, I'm glad we kept all of them.

McNeil with a 4 for 4 game. That kid has a sweet stroke and I love that huge bat his uses. He also seems to hand 2B very well. Nimmo seems to have hit a bit of a wall. His average has sunk down to almost .240.

With some luck and some smart moves in the off season, dare I say, we could be good next year. It's just our fcking owners I have no confidence in.
Image
BLACKFEET 2010
General Manager
Posts: 8,040
And1: 1,995
Joined: Jun 26, 2009

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4589 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 3:57 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Wheeler with another impressive start.


He's finally developed some consistency in repeating his release point and control. 70% strikes again. I have to say, even with Matz's recent dead arm, I'm glad we kept all of them.

McNeil with a 4 for 4 game. That kid has a sweet stroke and I love that huge bat his uses. He also seems to hand 2B very well. Nimmo seems to have hit a bit of a wall. His average has sunk down to almost .240.

With some luck and some smart moves in the off season, dare I say, we could be good next year. It's just our fcking owners I have no confidence in.

I have no confidence in ownership to bring in the right FO pieces to right this ship.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 48,525
And1: 18,380
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4590 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 5, 2018 4:17 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Wheeler with another impressive start.


He's finally developed some consistency in repeating his release point and control. 70% strikes again. I have to say, even with Matz's recent dead arm, I'm glad we kept all of them.

McNeil with a 4 for 4 game. That kid has a sweet stroke and I love that huge bat his uses. He also seems to hand 2B very well. Nimmo seems to have hit a bit of a wall. His average has sunk down to almost .240.

With some luck and some smart moves in the off season, dare I say, we could be good next year. It's just our fcking owners I have no confidence in.

I have no confidence in ownership to bring in the right FO pieces to right this ship.


I'm afraid of the same. Jeff is a control freak with a fragile ego. He doesn't have the balls to hire a guy and say "He's my guy. I'm stepping out of the way."
Image
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 42,465
And1: 7,236
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4591 » by blueNorange » Sun Aug 5, 2018 7:25 am

i sound like a broken record but mets not trading wheeler is such a great move.

dude is pitching like an ace.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 42,465
And1: 7,236
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4592 » by blueNorange » Sun Aug 5, 2018 7:27 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Wheeler with another impressive start.

he's added the splitter and it's a deadly one.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
Knickfan1982
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,600
And1: 291
Joined: Mar 19, 2016
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4593 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 1:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Instead of a deGrom, Wheeler or Syndergaard. :lol:

Throwing Adams into a huge series like this is how you ruin a pitcher's psyche. I hope at least it's at Fenway, for his sake.



It is.


What happened to all that hitting you guys have? One one hit last night. :noway: Tankees might get swept.


The short answer is that we're missing two big bats (Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez) and had to replace them in the lineup with Shane Robinson (since Clint Frazier is recovering from a concussion) and Austin Romine/Kyle Higoshika. While Gary was struggling as well the presence of both in the lineup makes it a much scarier lineup for pitchers. One mistake and boom. Plus Gleiber is struggling a bit as well but he's a rookie so it was bound to happen eventually. So that's what going on right now.

The long answer is that as a team we're too dependent on the long ball. We have a frustrating inability to drive in runs when we have guys on base. We have a team average of .249 with runners in scoring position. Sure, that's better than the Mets who only have a .228 batting average with RISP but that's 8th best in the American league and behind every other AL playoff contender. Its well behind Boston and Houston who have .285 and .284 in those situations respectively. So while I think we'll bounce back this issue combined with our starting pitching woes have made me a little skeptical about our chances of getting our 28th championship this year.
User avatar
NYKnickerbocker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,534
And1: 2,064
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
Location: Queens
       

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4594 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:16 pm

blueNorange wrote:i have to watch trout and betts play more, those 2 are on hall of fame/all time great paths.

Since the death/sacrifice/murder of David Wright, Betts has been my favorite player. He’s just been absolutely amazing this year.
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 29,748
And1: 11,330
Joined: May 26, 2008
   

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4595 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 5, 2018 3:26 pm

blueNorange wrote:i have to watch trout and betts play more, those 2 are on hall of fame/all time great paths.


jose ramirez might be the best hitter in baseball, plays every position, and switch hits.
BAF - Brooklyn Nets
1 | Ben Simmons | Trey Burke
2 | Victor Oladipo | Wayne Ellington | Wade Baldwin
3 | Caris LeVert | Garrett Temple | Jarell Martin
4 | Trey Lyles | Derrick Jones. Jr | Ivan Rabb
5 | Joel Embiid | Moe Wagner | Salah Mejri
reub
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,428
And1: 1,936
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4596 » by reub » Sun Aug 5, 2018 8:19 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
blueNorange wrote:i have to watch trout and betts play more, those 2 are on hall of fame/all time great paths.

Since the death/sacrifice/murder of David Wright, Betts has been my favorite player. He’s just been absolutely amazing this year.

Trout has better numbers than Betts or Ramirez.

Trout's WAR is 7.9.
Jose Ramirez is 7.2.
Betts is third at 6.8.
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 42,465
And1: 7,236
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4597 » by blueNorange » Mon Aug 6, 2018 3:54 pm

all aboard the vientos hype train, coming out of the draft he had a ton of upside and it's looking like the mets nailed it(so far) :D

.538 slugging, .908 ops

he has 9 homeruns now, not 8*****

15. Mark Vientos, 3B, Mets
Team: Rookie-level Kingsport (Appalachian)
Age: 18
Why He’s Here: .478/.520/.913 (11-for-23), 4 R, 1 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Last year’s second-rounder has done quite well for himself in a return to Kingsport after a season-ending cameo there in 2017. He’s already swatted eight home runs and is among the Appalachian League’s leaders in many offensive categories. The most impressive part, perhaps, is the amount of contact he’s making. He’s whiffed just 24 times in 37 games, good for a strikeout rate of just 14.7 percent. Add in his 9.2 percent walk rate, and you’ve got a pretty darn good first full year.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
reub
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,428
And1: 1,936
Joined: Aug 18, 2015
 

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4598 » by reub » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:28 pm

blueNorange wrote:all aboard the vientos hype train, coming out of the draft he had a ton of upside and it's looking like the mets nailed it(so far) :D

.538 slugging, .908 ops

he has 9 homeruns now, not 8*****

15. Mark Vientos, 3B, Mets
Team: Rookie-level Kingsport (Appalachian)
Age: 18
Why He’s Here: .478/.520/.913 (11-for-23), 4 R, 1 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Last year’s second-rounder has done quite well for himself in a return to Kingsport after a season-ending cameo there in 2017. He’s already swatted eight home runs and is among the Appalachian League’s leaders in many offensive categories. The most impressive part, perhaps, is the amount of contact he’s making. He’s whiffed just 24 times in 37 games, good for a strikeout rate of just 14.7 percent. Add in his 9.2 percent walk rate, and you’ve got a pretty darn good first full year.


I like that he makes contact. Never cared for all or nothing, undisciplined free swingers who'll hit 30 homers, bat .220 and strike out 150 times.
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 42,465
And1: 7,236
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4599 » by blueNorange » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:52 am

zack wheeler has a 2.2 bwar this season, his previous career high was his rookie year when he had 1.2!

he's a pitcher with great stuff that's finally put it together.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
User avatar
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,697
And1: 4,518
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Location: The game ain't in me no more. None of it.

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4600 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 7, 2018 1:09 am

blueNorange wrote:zack wheeler has a 2.2 bwar this season, his previous career high was his rookie year when he had 1.2!

he's a pitcher with great stuff that's finally put it together.


It's actually crazy that he's 28 already, but yeah you hope that he's finally put it together like a Kluber or Scherzer. Considering how many "pitches" his arm has actually thrown, he should have a lot of dominant years ahead of him.
Utah Jazz
Drummond x Plumlee x Zeller
Jokic x Harrell x Faried
Barnes x Ross x Luwawu-Cabarrot
Crabbe x Curry x Burks
Russell x Mills x Bayless
Image

Return to New York Knicks