ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#4961 » by blueNorange » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm

also way to not answer the question if nimmo is a platoon player, then what is realmuto.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#4962 » by Rich Rane » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 pm

I remember Victor Victor Mesa mentioned here during the season so I wanted to update you guys that the Marlins signed both him and his brother.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,204

Post#4963 » by mpharris36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 pm

blueNorange wrote:also way to not answer the question if nimmo is a platoon player, then what is realmuto.

because lagares hits much better vs lefties and nimmo is considerd a below average center-fielder defensively...so you put a better defensive OF who hits better vs a certain type of pitcher = platoon

JT Realmuto for some reason as a righty struggles vs lefties (i will acknowledge that) but he is an elite defender which negates platooning.

there is your answer.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#4964 » by mpharris36 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 pm

blueNorange wrote:and i'm telling you realmuto is good only because catchers across baseball suck.

you can't say realmuto is the best and then go ahead and trash grandal when they put up the same production.

in a vacuum...numbers don't always tell the entire story. We should have figured this out by now with constantly having sandy sign the jay bruces and todd fraziers of the world...grandal is right in that same boat.

do no want old slow players that for a lower average. Our whole team we didn't have someone hit over 250 last year (not counting mcneil) just because of small sample size.

JT hits 300 with RISP
Grandal hits 230 with RISP

one guy you can hit in the middle of your order...grandal fits into the 6th or 7th spot...we have enough of those guys already...

ROSTER

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4965 » by blueNorange » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 pm

i must've been under a rock when realmuto became this consistent hitter. he's a solid hitter that doesn't draw any walks, thus having a low obp. meaning realmuto slumps he's useless at the plate

grandal is also a good defensive player, and unlike realmuto doesn't have a bad back.

so realmuto gets away with not being a "platoon" guy because he's an elite defensive player? so should the mets start lagares everyday? on the opposite isn't nimmo an elite offensive hitter with his .400 obp? does that make it okay for him, because i don't think you realize just how good nimmo is.

nimmo grades out positive defensively in lf fyi.

again jt realmuto is a good player that becomes "great" because there's no catchers. but really he's not even a top player in baseball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#4966 » by mpharris36 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 12:10 am

blueNorange wrote:i must've been under a rock when realmuto became this consistent hitter. he's a solid hitter that doesn't draw any walks, thus having a low obp. meaning realmuto slumps he's useless at the plate

grandal is also a good defensive player, and unlike realmuto doesn't have a bad back.

so realmuto gets away with not being a "platoon" guy because he's an elite defensive player? so should the mets start lagares everyday? on the opposite isn't nimmo an elite offensive hitter with his .400 obp? does that make it okay for him, because i don't think you realize just how good nimmo is.

nimmo grades out positive defensively in lf fyi.

again jt realmuto is a good player that becomes "great" because there's no catchers. but really he's not even a top player in baseball.

he has also improved every year...walk rate and OPS...so I don't see why that can't continue to improve.

I think we are not on the same page. I am suggesting we should be absolutely in on him terms of trade to gauge the value. I'm not suggesting trading multiple top 100 prospects for him.

It's one position we don't have blocked by an overpaid bum so its a position we can improve and he's the best available in my eyes. So I don't see why you wouldn't inquire to see what the marlins want.

Damn even the braves and nats tried for him last year...they must be stupid to want to acquire him too?

As far as nimmo goes I like him. But he can't play LF here because that is where conforto plays. And RF will be taken by Bruce (who we shouldn't have signed in the first place). So that leaves CF as the only open position. And he doesn't grade out well there.

ROSTER

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#4967 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 1, 2018 12:25 am

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:also way to not answer the question if nimmo is a platoon player, then what is realmuto.

because lagares hits much better vs lefties and nimmo is considerd a below average center-fielder defensively...so you put a better defensive OF who hits better vs a certain type of pitcher = platoon

JT Realmuto for some reason as a righty struggles vs lefties (i will acknowledge that) but he is an elite defender which negates platooning.

there is your answer.

Realmuto is a lifetime 279 hitter up to this point in his career and lets remember that the Marlins converted him from a SS to playing catcher full time so he's still getting better at playing catcher. He's so much better a player then Grandal on offense and defense and i really don't think it's all that close. Grandal is alright but better as a platoon player then a full time player like Realmuto is. Not sure what BnR is thinking on that one.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4968 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 1, 2018 1:31 am

you say he’s better but no not really, legitimately neck and neck offense/defense production wise.

you don’t trade a good player that’s under control for someone that’ll command a contract bigger than what grandal will get in the open market.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#4969 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 1, 2018 2:14 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803656-superstar-catcher-jt-realmuto-can-be-mlbs-biggest-offseason-steal?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

Superstar Catcher J.T. Realmuto Can Be MLB's Biggest Offseason Steal
ZACHARY D. RYMER
OCTOBER 31, 2018

Let the bidding for Major League Baseball's best catcher begin.

According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Miami Marlins' plan as of early October was to try to extend All-Star backstop J.T. Realmuto, who's slated for free agency after 2020.

But that would have only worked if there was mutual interest in an extension. Speaking Tuesday on MLB Network Radio, CAA Sports agent Jeff Berry made it clear his client would just as soon be traded:

@MLBNetworkRadio
J.T. Realmuto's agent, Jeff Berry, says his client has told the #Marlins, "he's not going to sign an extension in Miami." Berry also expects Realmuto to be traded before Spring Training. #JuntosMiami

The Marlins aren't obligated to meet Berry's expectations. They can hold on to Realmuto, 27, and hope he changes his mind sometime in the next two years

The rational thing to do, however, is...well, not that.

This is not the first time Berry has advocated for Realmuto to be traded. He started singing this tune last offseason after the Marlins traded Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna and Dee Gordon. Berry said Realmuto "would like to be traded to another organization before spring training so he has an opportunity to compete for a championship."

The Marlins did little in 2018 to convince Realmuto their rebuild will be swift. They lost 98 games and allowed 220 more runs than they scored. According to Bleacher Report's rankings, they also exited the minor league season with MLB's No. 27 farm system.

In light of these circumstances, it's in the Marlins' interest to see what they can get for Realmuto. And this offseason, they should be able to get a lot.

In addition to the World Series champion Boston Red Sox, the Oakland Athletics, Washington Nationals, Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks are contenders who got negative wins above replacement from their catchers in 2018.

The New York Mets, Milwaukee Brewers, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays did better, but they could use upgrades nonetheless.

Elsewhere, the Houston Astros (Martin Maldonado) and Los Angeles Dodgers (Yasmani Grandal) stand to lose their primary catchers in free agency. The Los Angeles Angels also have an opening, given that Maldonado played for them before he was traded to Houston in July.

Even the New York Yankees, who have some catching up with the Boston Joneses to do, could be a possibility—particularly if the Marlins are open to a swap involving Gary Sanchez, an established slugger who's younger and more controllable than Realmuto.

In any event, Realmuto won't come cheap in a market such as this one. If not an established star like Sanchez, he's bound to cost a team a couple of top prospects. To the latter end, seven of the 12 squads listed above—the Angels (No. 14), Rockies (No. 13), A's (No. 12), Dodgers (No. 10), Phillies (No. 8), Astros (No. 7) and Rays (No. 5)—have deep farm systems for the Marlins to choose from.

But before anyone interprets that as a warning, let's be clear Realmuto can be more than worth the trouble.

Realmuto has gotten better every year since breaking into the majors in 2014. His latest step forward took him to 4.3 WAR, which was one more than any other catcher.

Much of that has to do with his bat. The improvement of his OPS mirrors that of his increasing WAR, and he's coming off career highs in OPS (.825) and home runs (21).

It helps that Realmuto is fine-tuning his approach to perfection. In 2018, he achieved his best balance between swinging at strikes and taking balls:

That led to another step up for his walk rate but more so improved the quality of his contact. Both his average exit velocity (88.9 mph) and his hard-hit rate (38.5 percent) reached new peaks.

Just as it did for Yelich, a move away from Marlins Park would almost certainly unlock further offensive potential for Realmuto. His career road OPS is 170 points higher than his career home OPS, and some of his non-homer fly balls and line drives would have cleared the fences even at Kauffman Stadium.

As it is, Wilson Ramos is the only catcher who had a higher OPS than Realmuto in 2018. If he continues to improve and benefits from a more hitter-friendly home park, he can become MLB's best offensive catcher in 2019 and 2020.

Realmuto's talents don't end there. He was the fastest baserunner among all catchers in 2018. He's also one of the position's most well-rounded defenders.

He threw out a career-high 38.2 percent of base stealers in 2018, mainly with the help of the fastest pop time in the game. He got the ball to second base in an average of 1.9 seconds.

Last but not least, Realmuto has also made good on his desire to become a better pitch framer.

Though he rated slightly below average in 2018, the trend in his percentages tells a more optimistic tale:

2015: 83.8 in-zone strike%, 7.5 out-of-zone strike%
2016: 83.3%, 7.6%
2017: 85.7%, 7.8%
2018: 86.9%, 8.1%
Altogether, you can't ask for a better catcher than Realmuto. Since he's only 27 years old and has multiple talents to hone, there's a good chance he will become a better All-Star or even an MVP-caliber talent over the next two seasons.

In the meantime, it's probable he won't be in a Marlins uniform the next time he sets foot on a major league field. It's just a question of which of his many possible suitors wants him the most.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4970 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:03 pm

beautiful article, realmuto is still being overrated due to there being no catchers in baseball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#4971 » by reub » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:52 pm

Rich Rane wrote:I remember Victor Victor Mesa mentioned here during the season so I wanted to update you guys that the Marlins signed both him and his brother.

Victor Victor we will miss you miss you.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#4972 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:00 pm

blueNorange wrote:beautiful article, realmuto is still being overrated due to there being no catchers in baseball.

So you would not trade Wheeler to get him?
Free Palestine
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,572

Post#4973 » by Lord Commander » Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:11 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:beautiful article, realmuto is still being overrated due to there being no catchers in baseball.

God no. I'd give them a choice of Matz/Lugo, and a low level position player.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4974 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:34 pm

Lord Commander wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

God no. I'd give them a choice of Matz/Lugo, and a low level position player.

The deal I heard mentioned was a 3-way. We would send Wheeler to the Brewers and they would send Miami all these prospects and Miami would send Realmuto to us.
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4975 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:22 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

who else are the marlins offering to get wheeler?

because wheeler's gonna be very good going forward.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4976 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:45 pm

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

who else are the marlins offering to get wheeler?

because wheeler's gonna be very good going forward.

I agree. He's developed into ace material. But we need to get a real MLB catcher. We cannot go forward with d'Arnaud, Plawecki, Mesoroca and Nido. Just can't do it. So, who would you suggest we get? I was thinking we could just sign Wilson Ramos as a free agent and bring him home. I don't know what kind of salary he would command though.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4977 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 1, 2018 10:20 pm

Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#4978 » by blueNorange » Thu Nov 1, 2018 11:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Metsblog says that the Mets need to go after Manny Machado:

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/with-brodie-van-wagenens-win-now-goal-mets-need-to-sign-manny-machado/300105336

it makes so much sense, give him the world as long as he plays 3b.

groom rosario into a cf once gimenez is ready.

sign grandal

c - grandal
1b - alonso
2b - mcneil
3b - machado
ss - gimenez
lf - nimmo
cf - rosario
rf - conforto

nimmo
machado
mcneil
alonso
conforto
rosario
grandal
pitcher
gimenez

:nod: :nod: :nod:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4979 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 2, 2018 12:02 am

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Metsblog says that the Mets need to go after Manny Machado:

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/with-brodie-van-wagenens-win-now-goal-mets-need-to-sign-manny-machado/300105336

it makes so much sense, give him the world as long as he plays 3b.

groom rosario into a cf once gimenez is ready.

sign grandal

c - grandal
1b - alonso
2b - mcneil
3b - machado
ss - gimenez
lf - nimmo
cf - rosario
rf - conforto

nimmo
machado
mcneil
alonso
conforto
rosario
grandal
pitcher
gimenez

:nod: :nod: :nod:

They said Grandal was atrocious in post season. Why not Ramos instead?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4980 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 2, 2018 5:02 am

Omar will be Brody’s too adviser.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/11/report-minaya-will-be-van-wagenens-top-adviser.html/

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks