ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#5521 » by reub » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:04 am

All 36 of Peter Alonso's 2018 home runs, excluding the 6 he hit in the Arizona Instructional League.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,437

Post#5522 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 6, 2018 7:58 am

reub wrote:All 36 of Peter Alonso's 2018 home runs, excluding the 6 he hit in the Arizona Instructional League.

We should've trade Alonso and Matz for Goldschmidt

Realmuto
Goldschmidt
Cano
Machado
McNeil
Conforto
Pollack
Nimmo

deGrom
Syndergaard
Wheeler
Lugo
Vargas

Diaz
Miller
Gsellman
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#5523 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:07 pm

reub wrote:I saw this on Reddit:

"Yasmani Grandal (C): 4/$64m ($16m AAV)

Jeurys Familia (setup): 3/$33m ($11m AAV)

AJ Pollock (CF): 4/$60m ($15m AAV)"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewYorkMets/comments/a3hd95/updated_salary_commitments_for_2019_how_much_the/

The author says that we should have at least $32 million to spend this year just to equal last year's salary structure of $150 million.
If we hike the salaries just a little to $157 million we can sign all three of the guys listed above.
I'd make one change and sign Andrew Miller instead of Familia with that $11m AAV.

https://www.chatsports.com/new-york-...-diaz-14963874

Where the Mets’ payroll stands after the trade for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz
The Mets shed some money from their 2019 payroll while adding a long-term commitment to Cano.
By Vasilis Drimailitis

Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports
On Opening Day last year, the New York Mets’ payroll came in just north of $150 million according to Cot’s Contracts. That number placed them in the middle of the pack and resulted in another fourth-place finish. Enter Brodie Van Wagenen, former agent and first-time general manager, who was tasked with repairing the team’s roster while maintaining a reasonable payroll that will likely reside in the $155-$160 million range on Opening Day.

Van Wagenen made his first big splash when he landed Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz from the Seattle Mariners. In doing so, he strategically chose to absorb $100 of the $120 million owed to Cano—who is still a solid hitter despite his age—over the next five years while acquiring a young, electric arm who is under club control for four more years. It’s a risky move, but one the new GM is well-equipped to make since the team had zero money guaranteed to players following the end of the 2020 season.

One of the focal points of the trade was the $20 million the Mariners are including in the deal. According to Cot’s contracts, the money will cover $5 million in 2019 and $3.75 over the final four years. In the short term, Van Wagenen was able to lower the team’s current payroll figure. The Mets entered the offseason with approximately $92.5 million in salary commitments. In packaging Jay Bruce ($14 million) and Anthony Swarzak ($8.5 million) as part of the deal while adding Cano’s $19 million, the club saved $3.5 million in 2019 while adding a shut-down closer and an impact bat.

Last week, the Mets tendered contract offers to seven of eight eligible players. When factoring in the arbitration raises listed on Cot’s Contracts, the payroll would rise to a little over $129 million for 13 players. When adding in club-controlled players like Brandon Nimmo and Amed Rosario, the 2019 payroll comes in at roughly $136 million, a number which includes the entire cost of Yoenis Cespedes and David Wright’s contracts. That affords Van Wagenen up to $24 million to spend when working off a realistic estimate of $160 million.

Mets 2019 Payroll
Player 2019 Salary
Yoenis Cespedes $29,000,000
Robinson Cano $19,000,000
David Wright $15,000,000
Jacob deGrom* $15,000,000
Todd Frazier $9,000,000
Juan Lagares $9,000,000
Jason Vargas $8,000,000
Noah Syndergaard* $6,750,000
Zack Wheeler* $5,750,000
Travis d'Arnaud* $4,000,000
Michael Conforto* $3,750,000
Steven Matz* $3,000,000
Kevin Plawecki* $2,000,000
TOTAL $129,250,000
*Arbitration Estimate from Cot's Contracts
In 2020, the Mets will shed Todd Frazier from the payroll and will also likely not exercise the team options on starter Jason Vargas and center fielder Juan Lagares. Other notable free agents include Travis d’Arnaud and Zack Wheeler, both of whom have been with the team since 2013. The recently-acquired Diaz will be entering his first year of arbitration and should be due for a significant raise, as will Nimmo and Robert Gsellman. At this time, the Mets have about $64 million in guaranteed commitments for next season, with 11 arbitration-eligible players on the 25-man roster. Cespedes and Wright’s contracts will also officially come off the books at the conclusion of the 2020 season, which leaves Cano as the only player under contract going into 2021.

In the long-term, the possibilities are endless and the Mets have the opportunity to positively shape their team starting with the current offseason. One of the main areas the club will need to address is their starting pitching. After Wheeler, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, and Steven Matz will become free agents in 2021, 2022, and 2022, respectively. Locking up their young starting pitchers — at the very least, the reigning Cy Young winner — should be one of Brodie’s main goals this offseason.

Beyond the rotation, Michael Conforto, Nimmo, and Rosario are arbitration-eligible through 2022, 2023, and 2023, respectively, and could also be considered for team-friendly, long-term deals in the not-too-distant future. The lack of commitment should also encourage the team to make to make a big splash and sign Bryce Harper or, at the very least, spread the money around and sign a number of players that can fill a multitude of needs.

The question of payroll is constantly looming over the team’s head in the post-Madoff era, and it’s understandably an issue that surfaces whenever the team makes a big roster move. Luckily, a lack of long-term commitments should afford Van Wagenen the opportunity to continue to act boldly this offseason as he shapes not just the short-term (2019, 2020) roster, but the long-term plan as well.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5524 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:08 pm

Realmuto is going to happen. Marlins want Rosario. We would prefer to trade Nimmo and Gimenez. In either case, this trade will result in a hole either a SS or in the OF and, according to Metsblog, Brody won't fill it with "a bed of pennies" if you get my drift.

AmazinAvenue.com would prefer to see us sign Yasmani Grandal as a free agent.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/12/6/18127633/mets-analysis-yasmani-grandal-free-agency-catcher

-Harth
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#5525 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Realmuto is going to happen. Marlins want Rosario. We would prefer to trade Nimmo and Gimenez. In either case, this trade will result in a hole either a SS or in the OF and, according to Metsblog, Brody won't fill it with "a bed of pennies" if you get my drift.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/12/6/18127633/mets-analysis-yasmani-grandal-free-agency-catcher

-Harth

There's supposedly 14 teams in on Realmuto so i don't have us being able to out bid a lot of teams that simply have better prospects or even young major leagues players to trade for him. I think the Dodgers are the dark horse that could come out of nowhere and get him. I think we could get him but it would have to be us giving up a lot to beat the other teams.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5526 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:04 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Realmuto is going to happen. Marlins want Rosario. We would prefer to trade Nimmo and Gimenez. In either case, this trade will result in a hole either a SS or in the OF and, according to Metsblog, Brody won't fill it with "a bed of pennies" if you get my drift.

-Harth

There's supposedly 14 teams in on Realmuto so i don't have us being able to out bid a lot of teams that simply have better prospects or even young major leagues players to trade for him. I think the Dodgers are the dark horse that could come out of nowhere and get him. I think we could get him but it would have to be us giving up a lot to beat the other teams.

Depends who the Marlins value. But if we lose out on him, go after Grandal.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#5527 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:09 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

-Harth

Depends who the Marlins value. But if we lose out on him, go after Grandal.

I agree and am a little shocked that we haven't heard Grandal's name floated around more so far this offseason. Maybe it's cause teams don't wanna give up the draft pick it will take to sign him but either way i'm a big Grandal fan and would love to get him.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#5528 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:58 am

i've come to my senses and remembered realmuto is only good because catchers across baseball is poor and because of that we shouldn't have to give up rosario who's more valuable than realmuto.

avoid realmuto, sign grandal instead.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5529 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:59 am

trading nimmo for realmuto is equally stupid.

realmuto's being overrated.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#5530 » by reub » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:58 am

Why would we sacrifice good, young major league talent for Realmuto when Grandal is out there for nothing except cash? This would make me question Brodie's judgment.

Brodie said to Francesca that he reads all of the tweets addressed to him. I think I'm going to try that.

Addendum: Wasn't Realmuto one of Brodie's clients?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5531 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:25 am

blueNorange wrote:trading nimmo for realmuto is equally stupid.

Overrated? Well, here are all the ways in which he is arguably in the best catcher in baseball according to Mike Petriello, an analyst for MLB.com and the host of the Statcast podcast. You're the one who loves stats, right?

https://www.mlb.com/news/jt-realmuto-may-be-mlbs-best-catcher/c-282201118

1. Realmuto has the fastest pop time and the best caught-stealing percentage

2. Realmuto has been baseball's best hitting catcher.

3. Realmuto is baseball's fastest catcher

4. Realmuto may be baseball's best all-around catcher
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5532 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:31 am

reub wrote:Why would we sacrifice good, young major league talent for Realmuto when Grandal is out there for nothing except cash? This would make me question Brodie's judgment.

Brodie said to Francesca that he reads all of the tweets addressed to him. I think I'm going to try that.

Addendum: Wasn't Realmuto one of Brodie's clients?

Realmuto has two more years of arbitration before he becomes and UFA. Grandal is a FA now, so he'll cost a lot more money along with giving up the pick. Maybe Brody thinks Giminez is the real deal. I dunno.

AmazinAvenue.com supports signing Grandal as a FA. But, as two Mets fans commented

Since 2012 (or whatever sample size you want to use instead), Grandal has the most passed balls in the major leagues and by a fairly decent amount (although the rate is nowhere near as bad as Gary Sanchez)

Reply: He led the league in passed balls in 2014, 2016, and 2017

And he was benched in the playoffs for passed balls.
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5533 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:06 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:trading nimmo for realmuto is equally stupid.

Overrated? Well, here are all the ways in which he is arguably in the best catcher in baseball according to Mike Petriello, an analyst for MLB.com and the host of the Statcast podcast. You're the one who loves stats, right?

https://www.mlb.com/news/jt-realmuto-may-be-mlbs-best-catcher/c-282201118

1. Realmuto has the fastest pop time and the best caught-stealing percentage

2. Realmuto has been baseball's best hitting catcher.

3. Realmuto is baseball's fastest catcher

4. Realmuto may be baseball's best all-around catcher

being the best catcher in baseball is as credible as being the only sane person in an mental institution.

he's the best catcher by default because there's no good catchers in baseball.

why should we trade talent that'll play 150+ games for a catcher that HAS HAD back issues in the past and will only give you 115-120 games because he needs days off.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5534 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:07 am

trade rosario who has tools to put up a big season for realmuto

or

trade nimmo who's already a better offensive player than realmuto

OORRRR

keep rosario/nimmo, and sign grandal who's also a good defensive/offensive catcher?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,197

Post#5535 » by mpharris36 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:22 pm

blueNorange wrote:trade rosario who has tools to put up a big season for realmuto

or

OORRRR

keep rosario/nimmo, and sign grandal who's also a good defensive/offensive catcher?

i do see your point and I probably wouldn't trade for Realmuto with the marlins asking price but something about Grandal completely worries me...I don't see him succeeding in NY at all.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#5536 » by reub » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:40 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:trade rosario who has tools to put up a big season for realmuto

or

OORRRR

i do see your point and I probably wouldn't trade for Realmuto with the marlins asking price but something about Grandal completely worries me...I don't see him succeeding in NY at all.

Our team cries out for another good highhanded hitting bat. Wilson Ramos is out there too. Why trade two emerging, young major league assets like Rosario and Nimmo who will be under control for a long time?

I hope that Brodie's not here to sacrifice our entire future for a one or two year run and make a name for himself before he moves on.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#5537 » by mpharris36 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:57 pm

reub wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

or

OORRRR

Our team cries out for another good highhanded hitting bat. Wilson Ramos is out there too. Why trade two emerging, young major league assets like Rosario and Nimmo who will be under control for a long time?

I hope that Brodie's not here to sacrifice our entire future for a one or two year run and make a name for himself before he moves on.

Ramos is a liability defensively and is always hurt...I would be leary of him too. I think that is the main issue there really isn't a good available C in the open market. I probably would be most happy with Maldanado even if he can't worth sh*t because I know the pitching staff will be in good hands and the running game will be limited with him behind the plate.

Grandal and Ramos worry me for different reasons. It's probably why Realmuto is so tantalizing because he is so far the best catcher in the sport right now its not even funny.

ROSTER

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#5538 » by whocares1 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:10 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

or

OORRRR

Yes Grandal gives me Jason Bay vibes which is why he shouldn’t be offered anything longer than 3 years, but we can’t settle for Maldonado either. We need a C that can hit.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#5539 » by mpharris36 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:12 pm

whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

or

OORRRR

Yes Grandal gives me Jason Bay vibes which is why he shouldn’t be offered anything longer than 3 years, but we can’t settle for Maldonado either. We need a C that can hit.

I disagree our biggest issue is we have had catchers that can't control a run game. If our catcher hits 8th then it doesn't matter to me if he hits 220 to be honest. Just play elite defense and handle a pitching staff.

Go sign a OF that can hit so we don't have to pay grandal or ramos who don't do anything for me.

ROSTER

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#5540 » by whocares1 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:17 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I disagree our biggest issue is we have had catchers that can't control a run game. If our catcher hits 8th then it doesn't matter to me if he hits 220 to be honest. Just play elite defense and handle a pitching staff.

Go sign a OF that can hit so we don't have to pay grandal or ramos who don't do anything for me.

I’d understand if we had a strong lineup, but we really don’t. Nobody on the team is a consistent threat, and thus I don’t think we have the luxury to sign players knowing from the jump that they’re easy outs. I don’t think we just need a Rene Rivera type, though obviously Maldonado would be an upgrade. If Conforto, Rosario, and others make a serious jump then I guess Maldonado would be fine.

Return to New York Knicks