ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#5541 » by mpharris36 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:17 pm

per Jon Heyman

New York Mets

— The Mets have checked in on J.T. Realmuto, who appears to be their next big target. This shouldn’t come as a surprise since they have no definitive starting catcher. (Travis d’Arnaud needs to be taken along slowly after Tommy John surgery …

— The Marlins are targeting Amed Rosario and Brandon Nimmo in talks. Michael Conforto may not be quite as interesting to them because he has two more years of service time. It’s hard to see the Mets giving up Rosario. They were pleased by his progress in his rookie year …

— The Mets are prioritizing defense at catcher. So if they don’t get Realmuto, Martin Maldonado remains a viable option …

— The Mets have talked about Marwin Gonzalez, as they consider infielders who can play multiple positions. Mike Moustakas could also be a fit as Todd Frazier had his first injury-plagued year last year and Peter Alonso is unproven. Moustakas is capable of playing first base as well as third …

— Alonso, according to one scout, is a “typical today player.” That means he has a nice launch angle and hits lots of homers but is not necessarily a great athlete …

— The Mets have considered A.J. Pollock, GM Brodie Van Wagenen told Jim Bowden of The Athletic. One concern is that while talented, Pollock has been somewhat injury prone. The Mets have been decimated by injuries at times, including in center, where Juan Lagares has been out a lot. It’s easier to understand why they like Pollock, but he may not be a perfect fit for them for that reason …

— Travis Sawchik noted that of the five biggest contracts in history, three of them have now been traded to New York, with Robinson Cano ($240 million, five years in) joining Alex Rodriguez ($252 million, three years in) and Giancarlo Stanton ($325 million, three years in) …

— Someone could quibble about whether the Mets overpaid to add Cano and star closer Edwin Diaz, who Brodie Van Wagenen called “the best closer in the game,” but they deserve credit for following through on their promise to try to win in 2019. The Mets got $20 million in the deal, as first reported by Fancred, but some thought it could have been $30 million or $40 million considering that the Mets appeared to have leverage (Cano has a full no-trade, which Van Wagenen negotiated himself in quite a coincidence) and over-35 players (even good ones like Cano) have been devalued. In any case, give the Mets credit for spending to win …

— The Mets also drew praise for keeping the versatile Jeff McNeil, who made quite an impression late, out of the deal …

— Justin Dunn, a former No 1 pick from Freeport, L.I., was part of the deal, and Tim Healey of Newsday writes about the loss of the local product (who also recently hired Van Wagenen’s old agency, CAA) …

— One scout said he believes Dunn is a reliever. He believes Jarred Kelenic is a big loss, however, and will be an “above average major league.” While that sounds like faint praise, in scout parlance that’s a compliment. Another scout said he is “super athletic,” which is praise we can all understand …
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#5542 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:28 pm

rosario and nimmo for realmuto, lol

rosario has too much potential and nimmo is the better player.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5543 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:32 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
reub wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
i do see your point and I probably wouldn't trade for Realmuto with the marlins asking price but something about Grandal completely worries me...I don't see him succeeding in NY at all.

Our team cries out for another good highhanded hitting bat. Wilson Ramos is out there too. Why trade two emerging, young major league assets like Rosario and Nimmo who will be under control for a long time?

I hope that Brodie's not here to sacrifice our entire future for a one or two year run and make a name for himself before he moves on.

Ramos is a liability defensively and is always hurt...I would be leary of him too. I think that is the main issue there really isn't a good available C in the open market. I probably would be most happy with Maldanado even if he can't worth sh*t because I know the pitching staff will be in good hands and the running game will be limited with him behind the plate.

Grandal and Ramos worry me for different reasons. It's probably why Realmuto is so tantalizing because he is so far the best catcher in the sport right now its not even funny.

best catcher?

did willson contreas retire?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5544 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:35 pm

anything out of heyman's mouth is pure BS if the player's agent isn't scott boras, who uses heyman as a mouthpiece.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Post#5545 » by mpharris36 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:11 pm

blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
reub wrote:Our team cries out for another good highhanded hitting bat. Wilson Ramos is out there too. Why trade two emerging, young major league assets like Rosario and Nimmo who will be under control for a long time?

I hope that Brodie's not here to sacrifice our entire future for a one or two year run and make a name for himself before he moves on.

Ramos is a liability defensively and is always hurt...I would be leary of him too. I think that is the main issue there really isn't a good available C in the open market. I probably would be most happy with Maldanado even if he can't worth sh*t because I know the pitching staff will be in good hands and the running game will be limited with him behind the plate.

Grandal and Ramos worry me for different reasons. It's probably why Realmuto is so tantalizing because he is so far the best catcher in the sport right now its not even funny.

best catcher?

contreras is not better then Realmuto...thats crazy talk
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5546 » by blueNorange » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:33 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

best catcher?

contreras is not better then Realmuto...thats crazy talk

realmuto just had his career best ops .825.

excluding this down year, contreas' first 2 seasons. .845 ops and a .855 ops.

on top of that he can play lf/rf/3b/1b because he's versatile.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#5547 » by Mecca » Fri Dec 7, 2018 6:56 pm

Trading MLB ready young talents for Realmuto would be v dumb. Catcher position is dead. Maldonado is the smart way to go for Mets. Invest in Miller & an OF over trading big for JT.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#5548 » by reub » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:38 pm

MLB.com is saying that we would have to trade 1B P. Alonso, LHP S. Matz, LHP D. Peterson, and SS R. Mauricio to acquire Kluber.

I might just make that trade.

DeGrom Thor Kluber Wheeler
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#5549 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:46 pm

whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:trade rosario who has tools to put up a big season for realmuto

or

trade nimmo who's already a better offensive player than realmuto

OORRRR

keep rosario/nimmo, and sign grandal who's also a good defensive/offensive catcher?

i do see your point and I probably wouldn't trade for Realmuto with the marlins asking price but something about Grandal completely worries me...I don't see him succeeding in NY at all.

Yes Grandal gives me Jason Bay vibes which is why he shouldn’t be offered anything longer than 3 years, but we can’t settle for Maldonado either. We need a C that can hit.

I have no problem going with a defensive catcher if we upgrade our offense in CF with a good bat. We don't have to have .280/.300 AVG hitting players at every position. I'm starting to go off of all the Realmuto, Grandal, Maldanado and Ramos talk and thinking about seeing If J.Lucroy can have a bounce back year offensively. He's fine at handling a pitching staff and the A's pitching staff was really good last year but the guy used to have a good bat as well so maybe give him a try on a cheap 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option or something. I was all about getting A.Hedges back from the Padres in the Thor trade talk but looks like Thor will be staying now but maybe we can still get Hedges from them a little cheaper.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,700

Post#5550 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:02 pm

Mecca wrote:Trading MLB ready young talents for Realmuto would be v dumb. Catcher position is dead. Maldonado is the smart way to go for Mets. Invest in Miller & an OF over trading big for JT.

That's funny coming from a fan of the team that won't play a 45 HR hitting catcher IN THE POST SEASON because he can't catch the ball. :P :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5551 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:03 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Yes Grandal gives me Jason Bay vibes which is why he shouldn’t be offered anything longer than 3 years, but we can’t settle for Maldonado either. We need a C that can hit.

I have no problem going with a defensive catcher if we upgrade our offense in CF with a good bat. We don't have to have .280/.300 AVG hitting players at every position. I'm starting to go off of all the Realmuto, Grandal, Maldanado and Ramos talk and thinking about seeing If J.Lucroy can have a bounce back year offensively. He's fine at handling a pitching staff and the A's pitching staff was really good last year but the guy used to have a good bat as well so maybe give him a try on a cheap 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option or something. I was all about getting A.Hedges back from the Padres in the Thor trade talk but looks like Thor will be staying now but maybe we can still get Hedges from them a little cheaper.

Query: So where other potential playoff teams are only giving up one out in their lineup, you are ok with giving up two outs?
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#5552 » by reub » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:08 pm

reub wrote:MLB.com is saying that we would have to trade 1B P. Alonso, LHP S. Matz, LHP D. Peterson, and SS R. Mauricio to acquire Kluber.

Let's do this.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#5553 » by Mecca » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Mecca wrote:Trading MLB ready young talents for Realmuto would be v dumb. Catcher position is dead. Maldonado is the smart way to go for Mets. Invest in Miller & an OF over trading big for JT.

That's funny coming from a fan of the team that won't play a 45 HR hitting catcher IN THE POST SEASON because he can't catch the ball. :P :lol:

Lol but I disagree with Boone- he’s a bozo.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5554 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:38 pm

reub wrote:
reub wrote:MLB.com is saying that we would have to trade 1B P. Alonso, LHP S. Matz, LHP D. Peterson, and SS R. Mauricio to acquire Kluber.

Let's do this.

I thought Cleveland is looking for OFs.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#5555 » by reub » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:29 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

Let's do this.

\
Agreed. It's probably not going to happen...at least this way.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#5556 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:39 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
Let's do this.

\
Agreed. It's probably not going to happen...at least this way.

That's not to say I wouldn't give up that package. Looking forward to the Winter Meeting Trade and Free Agent Extravaganza.
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#5557 » by blueNorange » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:12 am

well you also think mets should trade alonso because he’s 23
LOL Y U MAD THO?
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#5558 » by TMU » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:19 pm

reub wrote:

Let's do this.

That's it? That doesn't seem right. Otherwise, I would do it in a heartbeat.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#5559 » by reub » Sun Dec 9, 2018 4:36 pm

The Winter Meetings start tonight. How long before Brodie makes a trade?
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#5560 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:55 pm

reub wrote:The Winter Meetings start tonight. How long before Brodie makes a trade?

The only player i'm hearing about trade talk for with the Mets is Realmuto and there's so many teams in on him i'm not sure he'll be traded all that quick if the Marlins sit and wait for the best offer. They don't have to trade him so they can wait it out. Unless Brodie just goes crazy headed again and just blows the Marlins away which scares the crap out of me.

Return to New York Knicks