ImageImageImageImageImage

[Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, GONYK, King of Canada, j4remi, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, K-DOT, Thugger HBC

User avatar
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 49,382
And1: 15,035
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
Contact:
         

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too - Mecca's got a book on pg 51 

Post#1141 » by magnumt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:40 am

Capn'O wrote:...


Thought you might enjoy this:

Read on Twitter


Watch it fully.

—Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio


magnumt6
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 50,942
And1: 37,755
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too - Mecca's got a book on pg 51 

Post#1142 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 am

magnumt wrote:
Capn'O wrote:...


Thought you might enjoy this:

Read on Twitter


Watch it fully.

—Mags :beer:


Right on :-) This is about my speed right now.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Payton/Napier
SG: G. Harris/THT/Korkmaz
SF: Little/KCP/Dekker
PF: Isaac/M. Leonard/Vanderbilt/
C: Nurkic/M. Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
User avatar
King of Canada
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,549
And1: 10,977
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
 

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too - Mecca's got a book on pg 51 

Post#1143 » by King of Canada » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:10 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
This is spot on and actually how I built my Sonos empire - via Craigslist. Out of everything I own, only three came to me via straight retail - the Play 5 Gen 1 my wife got as my first speaker 10 years ago, a Play 1 on major Black Friday sale a couple of years ago to finish out the kids rooms (we use them as their alarm clocks), and a sub as a housewarming gift from my mother when we moved into our house. Everything else has been 50% or more off by carefully trolling Craigslist, to the point where I literally don't look anymore because I have no more space in the house (and outdoors) on my Sonos network.

But yeah, the hardware is so impressive because it lasts so long and Sonos isn't constantly pushing new tech (well recently they started and it's a little annoying, but I digress), they just have their baller wireless speakers and push software updates to keep older versions of the same speakers up to date. They really are fantastic. We have music playing throughout our house from 6:30 AM until 9 PM at night every day.



I purposely do not have Alexa in my house and have specifically stayed away from any Sonos Ones because I want nothing to do with that technology in my life. The Sonos app is pretty awesome and serves all my needs perfectly from my phone or the dedicated Fire tablet we velcro mounted in the kitchen to act as a controller in case a phone/laptop wasn't nearby.


I wish it was easier to add a record player to the mix. Frankly I’m surprised that Sonos hasn’t partnered with somebody to make one. I don’t want to shell out a ton for a connect or amp, but they’d probably also charge a fortune for a record player anyway.


It's super easy to connect your record player, but yeah, you need the Connect (the Connect:Amp is for hooking up wired speakers to your Sonos network, and more expensive than the Connect). I've gotten a Connect for under $200 on CL before, waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Sonos will never make any specific player hardware - the app allows immense access to digital content, and cleanly. They're only going to make wireless network speakers and the the conversion/adaption devices to integrate non-digital music into that ecosystem. But never the actual direct component hardware.


You been following the Ikea/Sonos speakers? The press event is tomorrow. They should be good. I will probably get the shelf speaker and mount it up under my kitchen cabinet.

https://m2.ikea.com/ca/en/news/ikea-sonos-symfonisk-speakers-collaboration-pub0f4bd579?itm_campaign=SYMFONISK_Brand_desktop_en&itm_element=hpbanner_desktop&itm_content=SYMFONISK_Brand
BAF Pacers :king:
R. Rubio l S. Livingston l J. Evans l J. Hands
D. Mitchell l J. Okogie l K. Nunn
L. Doncic l J. Richardson
Zion l R. Anderson l C. Boucher
KP l T. Chandler l A. Pasecniks l J. Porter

RIP mags :beer:
User avatar
SelbyCobra
Head Coach
Posts: 6,184
And1: 8,552
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too - Mecca's got a book on pg 51 

Post#1144 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:53 pm

King of Canada wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
I wish it was easier to add a record player to the mix. Frankly I’m surprised that Sonos hasn’t partnered with somebody to make one. I don’t want to shell out a ton for a connect or amp, but they’d probably also charge a fortune for a record player anyway.


It's super easy to connect your record player, but yeah, you need the Connect (the Connect:Amp is for hooking up wired speakers to your Sonos network, and more expensive than the Connect). I've gotten a Connect for under $200 on CL before, waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Sonos will never make any specific player hardware - the app allows immense access to digital content, and cleanly. They're only going to make wireless network speakers and the the conversion/adaption devices to integrate non-digital music into that ecosystem. But never the actual direct component hardware.


You been following the Ikea/Sonos speakers? The press event is tomorrow. They should be good. I will probably get the shelf speaker and mount it up under my kitchen cabinet.

https://m2.ikea.com/ca/en/news/ikea-sonos-symfonisk-speakers-collaboration-pub0f4bd579?itm_campaign=SYMFONISK_Brand_desktop_en&itm_element=hpbanner_desktop&itm_content=SYMFONISK_Brand


I have not! I'm at full saturation in my house - I have 21 Sonos speakers running in my network - so I've not been actively looking for anything new in the last year or two. I'm really intrigued to read the reviews on these new guys - the Ikea badging has me a little leery, but I'm definitely open to seeing how they perform.

Then again, even if they're relatively mediocre I'm sure their sound will be dramatically improved if you put them in a room with a sub...hmm...
Image
User avatar
King of Canada
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,549
And1: 10,977
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
 

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too - Mecca's got a book on pg 51 

Post#1145 » by King of Canada » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:58 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
It's super easy to connect your record player, but yeah, you need the Connect (the Connect:Amp is for hooking up wired speakers to your Sonos network, and more expensive than the Connect). I've gotten a Connect for under $200 on CL before, waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Sonos will never make any specific player hardware - the app allows immense access to digital content, and cleanly. They're only going to make wireless network speakers and the the conversion/adaption devices to integrate non-digital music into that ecosystem. But never the actual direct component hardware.


You been following the Ikea/Sonos speakers? The press event is tomorrow. They should be good. I will probably get the shelf speaker and mount it up under my kitchen cabinet.

https://m2.ikea.com/ca/en/news/ikea-sonos-symfonisk-speakers-collaboration-pub0f4bd579?itm_campaign=SYMFONISK_Brand_desktop_en&itm_element=hpbanner_desktop&itm_content=SYMFONISK_Brand


I have not! I'm at full saturation in my house - I have 21 Sonos speakers running in my network - so I've not been actively looking for anything new in the last year or two. I'm really intrigued to read the reviews on these new guys - the Ikea badging has me a little leery, but I'm definitely open to seeing how they perform.

Then again, even if they're relatively mediocre I'm sure their sound will be dramatically improved if you put them in a room with a sub...hmm...


21 holy #$%#!!

The lamp apparently will be very close to the Sonos One, but just a step below sound wise. The shelf speaker will be lesser, but will only cost $100 US. They will be stereo pairable, have Airplay 2, and work as surrounds (and fit into the whole sonos system with existing speakers). I guess the quality is supposed to be pretty good. I bet a smaller/cheaper sub isn't far behind.

I've got my two Play 1s as surrounds, but would consider getting two of these instead and moving the Play1s elsewhere. That being said, Sonos is likely to come out with a surround pair soon anyway that'll be slightly less (I think so anyway).
BAF Pacers :king:
R. Rubio l S. Livingston l J. Evans l J. Hands
D. Mitchell l J. Okogie l K. Nunn
L. Doncic l J. Richardson
Zion l R. Anderson l C. Boucher
KP l T. Chandler l A. Pasecniks l J. Porter

RIP mags :beer:
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
Posts: 6,028
And1: 877
Joined: Feb 24, 2003

Re: BaF Season Two: Playoffs begin Sunday April 14 (Announcement on page 61) 

Post#1146 » by SuperflyKnick » Sat May 4, 2019 7:37 am

[quote="bishnykfan"]Time to start a new thread...

Old Thread: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1772900#p70620761[/qu





I started posting on this site 2008 ... been always following...been I’m many states Minnesota , then Boston , but always it’s been knicks even though they sucked balls ....
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
Posts: 6,028
And1: 877
Joined: Feb 24, 2003

Re: BaF Season Two: Playoffs begin Sunday April 14 (Announcement on page 61) 

Post#1147 » by SuperflyKnick » Sat May 4, 2019 7:38 am

Hope when we move my son will be nyc
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 50,942
And1: 37,755
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: BaF Season Two: Playoffs begin Sunday April 14 (Announcement on page 61) 

Post#1148 » by Capn'O » Sat May 4, 2019 2:27 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:Hope when we move my son will be nyc


Hey man - I moved your posts to the community thread. The BAF thread is a self contained game a few of us are in.

No worries and cheers! Hope our Knicks have a great summer.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Payton/Napier
SG: G. Harris/THT/Korkmaz
SF: Little/KCP/Dekker
PF: Isaac/M. Leonard/Vanderbilt/
C: Nurkic/M. Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
EricAnderson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,831
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 28, 2008

O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1149 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm

I’ve been seeing this lady for just a few weeks and she recently told me she was molested as a kid. I felt horrible for her obviously because that’s the most vile horrific act to me someone can do. I’m wondering for those of you who’ve been with people who’ve been molested how was the relationship?

I only ask because people I know who’ve been with someone who’s been molested they tell me how much it still affects them to this day and how hard it is to navigate a relationship with them unless they’ve been to some kind of therapy to deal with it.

My only experience with someone who’s been through it is a good friend of mine and while she’s a good person it affects her greatly to this day. She’s extremely flaky she seeks out men who are bad for her and she can be volatile.
User avatar
Futureisnow
Head Coach
Posts: 6,776
And1: 959
Joined: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1150 » by Futureisnow » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

A study by The Crimes against Children Research Center estimates that 1 in 5 girls are victims of child sexual abuse. 1 in 5. It’s fairly common. I’m usually surprised when I’m dating someone who it hasn’t happened to. My relationships with these women were like any other, but in the early phases I don’t initiate any sexual activities out of respect for what they’ve been through.
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 24,462
And1: 9,152
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1151 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm

I did at one point but that was one of her issues among several. I myself had a few things going on at the time. It turned out we were each not the right person for each other at that particular time.

My advice would be to take it real slow. Slower than you would usually go even if you start developing some feelings.
A new era or error?
EricAnderson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,831
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 28, 2008

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1152 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 28, 2019 2:27 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I did at one point but that was one of her issues among several. I myself had a few things going on at the time. It turned out we were each not the right person for each other at that particular time.

My advice would be to take it real slow. Slower than you would usually go even if you start developing some feelings.


If you don’t mind me asking what we’re some of her issues from it? Was flakiness one?
User avatar
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
Posts: 24,462
And1: 9,152
Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Location: New York City the best city in the world
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1153 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I did at one point but that was one of her issues among several. I myself had a few things going on at the time. It turned out we were each not the right person for each other at that particular time.

My advice would be to take it real slow. Slower than you would usually go even if you start developing some feelings.


If you don’t mind me asking what we’re aome of her issues from it? Was flakiness one?


Yes she was extremely flakey and manipulative. I’m also pretty sure she had undiagnosed bi-polar going on because she would have major mood swings. I do think the abuse and her childhood in general was a big factor.
A new era or error?
EricAnderson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,831
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 28, 2008

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1154 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 28, 2019 2:34 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I did at one point but that was one of her issues among several. I myself had a few things going on at the time. It turned out we were each not the right person for each other at that particular time.

My advice would be to take it real slow. Slower than you would usually go even if you start developing some feelings.


If you don’t mind me asking what we’re aome of her issues from it? Was flakiness one?


Yes she was extremely flakey and manipulative. I’m also pretty sure she had undiagnosed bi-polar going on because she would have major mood swings. I do think the abuse and her childhood in general was a big factor.


Yeah that’s what my friend does and why I’m apprehensive. She’s also an alcoholic because of it.

Getting molested kinda stunts your growth mentally and how to deal with people. Your trust of people gets broken at such a young age that it stays with you unless you get help.
User avatar
Meat
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,068
And1: 2,509
Joined: Jun 30, 2013
       

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1155 » by Meat » Tue May 28, 2019 4:47 pm

EricAnderson wrote:I’ve been seeing this lady for just a few weeks and she recently told me she was molested as a kid. I felt horrible for her obviously because that’s the most vile horrific act to me someone can do. I’m wondering for those of you who’ve been with people who’ve been molested how was the relationship?

I only ask because people I know who’ve been with someone who’s been molested they tell me how much it still affects them to this day and how hard it is to navigate a relationship with them unless they’ve been to some kind of therapy to deal with it.

My only experience with someone who’s been through it is a good friend of mine and while she’s a good person it affects her greatly to this day. She’s extremely flaky she seeks out men who are bad for her and she can be volatile.

statistically i'm sure you\we've all dated multiple victims of abuse
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 54,321
And1: 22,600
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1156 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue May 28, 2019 5:20 pm

No, but I got a lot of lap dances from women who have.
Image
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,731
And1: 12,960
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1157 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 28, 2019 7:19 pm

this is a serious matter. i would stay away from message board psychoanalysis of victims here.

listen. be supportive. respect space and boundaries. you have something to be mindful of, but it doesn't have to dominate your thought. the person you're dating who has opened up about this to you has to live on his/her own terms. be grateful that you've been trusted with this. but i would advise being as normal as possible.

this can easily become your issue and about you when it shouldn't be.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
EricAnderson
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,831
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 28, 2008

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1158 » by EricAnderson » Tue May 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:this is a serious matter. i would stay away from message board psychoanalysis of victims here.

listen. be supportive. respect space and boundaries. you have something to be mindful of, but it doesn't have to dominate your thought. the person you're dating who has opened up about this to you has to live on his/her own terms. be grateful that you've been trusted with this. but i would advise being as normal as possible.

this can easily become your issue and about you when it shouldn't be.


Oh I agree I’m just looking to see other people’s experiences that’s all.

Like I said I have a friend who it happened to and while I love her I see the damage it’s done on her and how hard it would be to maintain a relationship under those circumstances.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,731
And1: 12,960
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1159 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 28, 2019 7:45 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:this is a serious matter. i would stay away from message board psychoanalysis of victims here.

listen. be supportive. respect space and boundaries. you have something to be mindful of, but it doesn't have to dominate your thought. the person you're dating who has opened up about this to you has to live on his/her own terms. be grateful that you've been trusted with this. but i would advise being as normal as possible.

this can easily become your issue and about you when it shouldn't be.


Oh I agree I’m just looking to see other people’s experiences that’s all.

Like I said I have a friend who it happened to and while I love her I see the damage it’s done on her and how hard it would be to maintain a relationship under those circumstances.


understood. that was more a general statement to the group, which is why i avoided pronouns and all. wasn't trying to single you out.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,731
And1: 12,960
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: O.T.- Have you ever dated someone who was molested as a kid? 

Post#1160 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 pm

EA- but now that we're talking... this forum isn't your only source of life/relationship advice, is it?
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)

Return to New York Knicks