ImageImageImageImageImage

[Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: OT: Maya Moore 

Post#401 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:59 pm

Pretty difficult to compare achievement in an individual sport like tennis to team sports. Serena has been so dominant too because frankly not too many players have been on her level.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Ralphie96
Starter
And1: 54

Post#402 » by Ralphie96 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:06 pm

i wish they would just lower the rims for the wnba. the ball is smaller. i believe the 3 point line is shorter. why not just finish it off and lower the rim?
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

OT-Check out my Nephew 

Post#403 » by DrCoach » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:39 pm

This is his 9th grade mixtape, He has a lot of potential.

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#404 » by DrCoach » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:40 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Are you crazy?? Do you know how much work Serena has put in??? Before 2011????

Maya Moore currently has 40% of the career Serena has. Serena has put in 15 years of year-round tennis of which she has either won a grand slam or made a grand slam final.

Also, just my opinion, but tennis in general is a much more difficult sport than basketball. Physically, mentally, and in the women's case, just as bad from a financial standpoint for those outside the top rankings.

Im not knocking Maya, she is amazing, but its ridiculous to compare her to one of the greatest ATHLETES man or woman of all time
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#405 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:52 pm

DrCoach wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Are you crazy?? Do you know how much work Serena has put in??? Before 2011????

Maya Moore currently has 40% of the career Serena has. Serena has put in 15 years of year-round tennis of which she has either won a grand slam or made a grand slam final.

Also, just my opinion, but tennis in general is a much more difficult sport than basketball. Physically, mentally, and in the women's case, just as bad from a financial standpoint for those outside the top rankings.

Im not knocking Maya, she is amazing, but its ridiculous to compare her to one of the greatest ATHLETES man or woman of all time

agreed. If you ask me she is not even worthy to be compared. Maya has a lot of accolades, but the dominance is no where near Serenas.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Re: O.T. Netflix - Marvel's Luke Cage 

Post#406 » by mugzi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:10 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
mugzi wrote:Binged watch season 1 this weekend. Love this show. Casting is excellent, personally I liked Jessica Jones but I liked this show more. Some of the cameos were great, especially the musical ones. Great hearing Method Man doing his thing at the end.

Diamondback is a great villain, season 2 is going to be bananas. Dont want to wait a year though, lol.

Mugzi put a spoiler that sh*t man! Not everyone has finished seeing it yet.

My bad!!! Didn't think I gave much away.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

OT: New music find: Smooth Sailin' by Leon Bridges 

Post#407 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:13 am

I just heard this song this morning in the car and was floored (figuratively speaking of course).

New music from Leon Bridges, "Smooth Sailin'."

Thoughts?

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too 

Post#408 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 am

Where the f*ck is Shammgod? I'm getting concerned about him. Has anybody seen him around here lately? I haven't seen him here since the draft.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#409 » by magnumt » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Where the f*ck is Shammgod? I'm getting concerned about him. Has anybody seen him around here lately? I haven't seen him here since the draft.

He posted in a thread like a week ago IIRC.

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#410 » by CJackson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:56 pm

So now hackers are using malware to hijack the Internet of Things to launch DDOS attacks. This is fugged
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#411 » by magnumt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:14 am

CJackson wrote:So now hackers are using malware to hijack the Internet of Things to launch DDOS attacks. This is fugged

They took down some big sites today. Netflix, Twitter, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

Rumor has it, they used people's cameras as a launching point (via NYT)! :o

--Mags

magnumt6
CJackson
General Manager

Post#412 » by CJackson » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:30 am

magnumt wrote:
CJackson wrote:So now hackers are using malware to hijack the Internet of Things to launch DDOS attacks. This is fugged

--Mags

about half a year ago I read a couple of articles that said the iOT is completely unsecured and a hacking disaster waiting to happen.

Seems kind of pathetic that technologists are so eager to roll out new things without vetting them for downside
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#413 » by magnumt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:57 am

CJackson wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

about half a year ago I read a couple of articles that said the iOT is completely unsecured and a hacking disaster waiting to happen.

Seems kind of pathetic that technologists are so eager to roll out new things without vetting them for downside

Somewhat. But that wasn't what triggered this. Truth be told, The Cloud was a big factor here.

With so many companies reliant on few dedicated cloud managed servers, it causes a cascade effect. When they did a DDOS on one such client manager (DEV is the company name), down went the reliant.

--Mags

magnumt6
CJackson
General Manager

Post#414 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:18 pm

magnumt wrote:
CJackson wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

Somewhat. But that wasn't what triggered this. Truth be told, The Cloud was a big factor here.

With so many companies reliant on few dedicated cloud managed servers, it causes a cascade effect. When they did a DDOS on one such client manager (DEV is the company name), down went the reliant.

--Mags

Well, check this out. Last night I watched episode 6 of the new season of Black Mirror (moved from BBC to Netflix).

In the story are mechanical bees created to continue the job of plant pollination to replace collapsing bee colonies. A hacker takes over their network and does bad things. Scary stuff, because it didn't feel like sci-fi any longer.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#415 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Love Black Mirror.

Damn, there is a lot of quality TV last 5 years.

I got two strong recommendations to watch Westworld.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#416 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Love Black Mirror.

I've watched 3 out 6 episodes of Black Mirror's new season so far.

Sometimes they feel almost too purposefully sterile as if each premise is hermetically sealed into its own reality. I would like a little more intrusion of worldly details that anchors it in the present. But that is a small gripe, because what it generally does well is hack into a current aspect of the human-technological interface and mine its implications successfully.

And just these three episodes the last few days has had an effect on me. It prodded me to reconsider some things in my own life and that is a pretty strong recommendation for any piece of art. I had already been having a running internal dialogue about disconnecting from tech more lately and focusing more on reading and writing (per the other thread).

The main thing going for contemporary TV is the quality of narrative storytelling is high in many cases and is rewarding viewing, but it does mean if you don't limit casual TV viewing outside of specific high quality shows it sucks your time along with the web and if you are involved in doing any form of tech or coding or just working on a screen yourself.

The political threads were a black hole. Not complaining about it being closed. I felt a duty to combat fraudulent lies just this one period of time because of my feeling of a looming threat, but in the end such activities are dead ends. Choosing quality time can become an under-appreciated skill in an information society.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#417 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:57 pm

CJackson wrote:

Sometimes they feel almost too purposefully sterile as if each premise is hermetically sealed into its own reality. I would like a little more intrusion of worldly details that anchors it in the present. But that is a small gripe, because what it generally does well is hack into a current aspect of the human-technological interface and mine its implications successfully.

And just these three episodes the last few days has had an effect on me. It prodded me to reconsider some things in my own life and that is a pretty strong recommendation for any piece of art. I had already been having a running internal dialogue about disconnecting from tech more lately and focusing more on reading and writing (per the other thread).

The main thing going for contemporary TV is the quality of narrative storytelling is high in many cases and is rewarding viewing, but it does mean if you don't limit casual TV viewing outside of specific high quality shows it sucks your time along with the web and if you are involved in doing any form of tech or coding or just working on a screen yourself.

The political threads were a black hole. Not complaining about it being closed. I felt a duty to combat fraudulent lies just this one period of time because of my feeling of a looming threat, but in the end such activities are dead ends. Choosing quality time can become an under-appreciated skill in an information society.

True words. When it comes to quality TV show, as I hear of them, I just open up notepad and add them to a running list I have. I don't even bother to categorize drama from comedy from animation...just a big ol list. Then I get to them, or have to look up what they are about, and decide to watch them, when I have time. So there is stuff that is good, that is old, that I've never seen, like Freaks and Geeks, or Community - which I heard about several years ago, but haven't found the time. Totally let Parks and Recreation slide along, even though I love the clips. No time. I'll get to it soon, with Portlandia, etc. In fact, I started Utopia, but a little bit back, so when I was in the conversation with an old friend about "Westworld" I couldn't even remember the name of the show, and I wanted to recommend it. I only remembered now. Same with movies, only worse. I'm like a digital hoarder. I grab them as they look interesting, and file them away. Later I'll go back to that drive and I'm like "WTF are some of these titles"
CJackson
General Manager

Post#418 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:

True words. When it comes to quality TV show, as I hear of them, I just open up notepad and add them to a running list I have. I don't even bother to categorize drama from comedy from animation...just a big ol list. Then I get to them, or have to look up what they are about, and decide to watch them, when I have time. So there is stuff that is good, that is old, that I've never seen, like Freaks and Geeks, or Community - which I heard about several years ago, but haven't found the time. Totally let Parks and Recreation slide along, even though I love the clips. No time. I'll get to it soon, with Portlandia, etc. In fact, I started Utopia, but a little bit back, so when I was in the conversation with an old friend about "Westworld" I couldn't even remember the name of the show, and I wanted to recommend it. I only remembered now. Same with movies, only worse. I'm like a digital hoarder. I grab them as they look interesting, and file them away. Later I'll go back to that drive and I'm like "WTF are some of these titles"

Get Amazon's Cloud for $29.95, unlimited storage. I have terrabytes uploaded and organized in folders to my liking and the search function really finds everything fast. I have hundreds of movies and shows there and I just download it whenever I want to watch one. They let you stream the video if it is under 20 minutes only which is good for some of my shorter how-to videos. I've even uploaded DVDs in their original VIDEO_TS format. Then you have a searchable, refined file management structure for everything that is centralized and not located on a collection of drives and discs. You can keep the drives and discs as backups or free them up for new stuff. Amazing deal
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#419 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 pm

CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:

Get Amazon's Cloud for $29.95, unlimited storage. I have terrabytes uploaded and organized in folders to my liking and the search function really finds everything fast. I have hundreds of movies and shows there and I just download it whenever I want to watch one. They let you stream the video if it is under 20 minutes only which is good for some of my shorter how-to videos. I've even uploaded DVDs in their original VIDEO_TS format. Then you have a searchable, refined file management structure for everything that is centralized and not located on a collection of drives and discs. You can keep the drives and discs as backups or free them up for new stuff. Amazing deal

Yearly price? Interesting. I signed up at one point for unlimited for storage for free from some company I can't remember; pre-beta user, but dropped once they started charging. Plus their client software was sort of whack. They were using interesting checksum idea where any duplicate data was shared among all users. They were using Amazon servers of course - Amazon is one of the largest hosters around, aren't they?
CJackson
General Manager

Post#420 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Yearly price? Interesting. I signed up at one point for unlimited for storage for free from some company I can't remember; pre-beta user, but dropped once they started charging. Plus their client software was sort of whack. They were using interesting checksum idea where any duplicate data was shared among all users. They were using Amazon servers of course - Amazon is one of the largest hosters around, aren't they?

I got my prices mixed up

Amazon Music is 29.95 per year
Amazon Drive is 59.95

Both are bargains

Only with the Music do they check for dupes and used their MP3 if it matches yours. The limit is 250,000 songs and I've uploaded lots music that Amazon does not have. Plus, they now include lots of music and books with Amazon Prime so it covers a lot of the more popular songs or bands

Amazon Music works very well as a jukebox you can run off of your iOS devices. Their android app is no good. The web interface is good. So you can run your whole music library off your iPhone or iPad or your desktop to wireless headphones and speakers or to a stereo system.

Drive is truly unlimited and they do not compare anything. Upload whatever you want, including archiving music on Drive as backup after you put it on Amazon Music. The search function keeps improving and is now pretty fast. For uploading I use a free version of CloudBerry which maps my Amazon Drive account just like a windows tree on one side and my PC on the other side. So I can basically move stuff visually in my own file management environment directly from my drives to the cloud which is way better than using their upload utilities which are not as good

I wouldn't trust this much data with anyone else. I have some complaints about Amazon as a company, but they are the one whose servers I expect to be around for decades so I feel safe holding my stuff there until some invents a glass ball that holds 100 TB

Google Drive is superior for uploading and then streaming your own videos as there are no length limits or for uploading and reading books directly from the cloud, but Amazon is the best and should be the longest lasting safe way to max out your storage needs

Return to New York Knicks