ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Sign Willy Hernangomez! Multi yr deal

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,831

Re: Knicks Sign Willy Hernangomez! Multi yr deal 

Post#561 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am

Leave it to the Knicks to go big when the league goes small. Sad. (Trump voice)
Basketball1981
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#562 » by Basketball1981 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:48 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Yet Nowitzki didn't really start to see a lot of time at 5 until later in his career.

I think you cannot really compare the situations that well because Nowitzki played mainly during an era where the stretch 4 was rather the exception (a la Rashard Lewis) than the norm. At that time, playing the 4, Nowitzki had to mainly guard the paint and midrange. Very rarely would PFs shoot many threes. PFs would rather play the midrange game or in the paint.
Today the role of a PF is entirely different. Actually a SG,SF and PF play very similar on offense. It was way different during Nowitzki's time. What was a 4 during Dirk's career is now a 5.

Well, since the 4's during Dirk's career are 5's now, and KP is a true 5, then logic follows he can't really effectively guard modern 5's either. Knicks need to get crackin and deal KP and Willie now for a pair of 6'8" guys who represent modern PF's and the soon to be modern C.

I think you missed my point. What is a 4 today, was a 3 during Nowitzki's time. That means, if you compare KP guarding 4s today, it'd equal Nowitzki guarding 3s back in the day. That's just a bad look IMO.
Nowitzki never turned into a good defender. But during his time there wasn't a VAST difference between how Centers or PFs played the game. Both positions played in the paint and out to midrange. There were a lot of teams with a 7foot Center and a 6'10/6'11 PF. Thus Nowitzki could get by guarding these type of players while providing a huge matchup nightmare on offense. The same thing is imaginable for KP if he plays the 5. He'll be able to guard the paint (what he does best), while not having to chase around the 3 pointline. Same as Dirk.
KP guarding the PF position today is almost like guarding a wing player mostly. For Dirk this would have been a disaster on defense and for KP it limits his effectiveness on defense. Just looking at it physically, do you want a 7'3 guy chasing 6'8 guys on the perimeter, around screens, closing out etc.? It will take a huge toll on him and his body short term and longterm. Him sitting mostly in the paint and contesting shots is what his game should be about. That is much more likely with him guarding the 5. Add to that the fact that most Centers nowadays to not have much of a post game so if that is weakness of KP, it won't get exploited too much hopefully. Ultimately it'll depend on how bad his post defense is....if it is really terrible, than I can see why Hornacek wouldnt want to put him there. However if it is somewhat adequate, I see the advantages vastly outnumber the disadvantages of KP playing 5.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,831

Post#563 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 am

Basketball1981 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:
I think you cannot really compare the situations that well because Nowitzki played mainly during an era where the stretch 4 was rather the exception (a la Rashard Lewis) than the norm. At that time, playing the 4, Nowitzki had to mainly guard the paint and midrange. Very rarely would PFs shoot many threes. PFs would rather play the midrange game or in the paint.
Today the role of a PF is entirely different. Actually a SG,SF and PF play very similar on offense. It was way different during Nowitzki's time. What was a 4 during Dirk's career is now a 5.

Well, since the 4's during Dirk's career are 5's now, and KP is a true 5, then logic follows he can't really effectively guard modern 5's either. Knicks need to get crackin and deal KP and Willie now for a pair of 6'8" guys who represent modern PF's and the soon to be modern C.

I think you missed my point. What is a 4 today, was a 3 during Nowitzki's time. That means, if you compare KP guarding 4s today, it'd equal Nowitzki guarding 3s back in the day. That's just a bad look IMO.
Nowitzki never turned into a good defender. But during his time there wasn't a VAST difference between how Centers or PFs played the game. Both positions played in the paint and out to midrange. There were a lot of teams with a 7foot Center and a 6'10/6'11 PF. Thus Nowitzki could get by guarding these type of players while providing a huge matchup nightmare on offense. The same thing is imaginable for KP if he plays the 5. He'll be able to guard the paint (what he does best), while not having to chase around the 3 pointline. Same as Dirk.
KP guarding the PF position today is almost like guarding a wing player mostly. For Dirk this would have been a disaster on defense and for KP it limits his effectiveness on defense. Just looking at it physically, do you want a 7'3 guy chasing 6'8 guys on the perimeter, around screens, closing out etc.? It will take a huge toll on him and his body short term and longterm. Him sitting mostly in the paint and contesting shots is what his game should be about. That is much more likely with him guarding the 5. Add to that the fact that most Centers nowadays to not have much of a post game so if that is weakness of KP, it won't get exploited too much hopefully. Ultimately it'll depend on how bad his post defense is....if it is really terrible, than I can see why Hornacek wouldnt want to put him there. However if it is somewhat adequate, I see the advantages vastly outnumber the disadvantages of KP playing 5.

I got your point. I was being sarcastic.

I'm mixed on KP being a 5 eventually. On the one hand, I think he should, on the other, not sure it'll ever really be in his makeup, physically (bulk wise - not sure he'll even get Gobert sized. Hell, not sure he'll get Camby sized). Also, it relegates WillyB to the bench, not that it's terrible. But even WillyB on the bench means still have 10 minutes a game where KP is a 4, as they play together. Basically, last year. The rotations seemed to go Melo out, Willy in, to a degree. Not for each other, but I recall more Willie/KP pairings than Willie/KP/Melo lineups. Anyway, maybe only 10 mpg of Willy and KP is better than 30. I still think KP and Willy can get more points then they give up, but maybe that's just a recipe for a 45 win team going nowhere. Not sure. On the other hand, if going with KP or Willie at C means the other is redundant, moving KP might make more sense than Willie. At least Willie can really play the 5.

Return to New York Knicks