ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Suicide Squad

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

OT - Suicide Squad 

Post#1 » by Smash3 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 7:35 am

Anyone catch this yet? Was pretty good, the story had some problems getting into a flow in the begining but after a while it became pretty good. Without Will and Margot though it wouldn't have been nearly as good they carried the movie. The new Joker was overhyped, didn't deliver at all.

Also at the premiere there was a girl who was dressed up as Harley, but they took away her bat for safety reasons :lol:
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Re: OT - Suicide Squad 

Post#2 » by Kampuchea » Sat Aug 6, 2016 9:57 am

I thought it was entertaining, and also quite forgettable.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#3 » by NYKBaller » Sat Aug 6, 2016 11:04 am

It suffered from the same problems as xmen apocalypse did, no real story just recruitment and battle. No twists, turns nothing. Will was good tho
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Knicked_Up
Sixth Man
And1: 59

Post#4 » by Knicked_Up » Sat Aug 6, 2016 12:56 pm

Pretty mediocre movie. Leto sucked as the Joker. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were good the rest forgettable.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,224

Post#5 » by Knicks Byke » Sat Aug 6, 2016 1:22 pm

havent seen the movie but the best part about that trailer is bohemian rhapsody playing in the background
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 6, 2016 2:00 pm

I collected the original run of Suicide Squad in the 80s and at the time, there was nothing like it in comic books. Problem is, today every other comic book is like this one. If you remember, the 80s was a weird time in American history because the intelligence branches were making some dark deals to de-stabilize countries as well as pit foes against each other. Writer John Ostrander was allowed to use mostly obscure characters, which played into the "red ensign" component of these Catch-22 missions to hell.

These characters are supposed to be 100% remorseless. Lesson to be learned, there's not much difference between a hired killer and "good" military man like Rick Flag who was trained to be one.

Now, the problem with the movie is simple. Media and society does NOT want you to believe that remorseless individuals exist. Enter Will Smith playing Deadshot who is a killer but he makes up for it, making sure his daughter is doing her geometry homework. Deadshot loves his SON (in the book) but he's 100% REMORSELESS. He has respect for people, colder than he is. The Diablo character is a horrific stereotype, right down to his back story.

That said, the movie has MORE of a theme than BvS: Dawn of Justice: Every one even the dangerous ones lament over lost love.

Now, the final act would have been more interested if....

Spoiler:
The Joker got his hands on the Enchantress' heart and was trying to bargain the heart for Harley. The Tension would have been racheted up to 10+ AND the movie could go in any direction, creating suspense.

As it stands, the fight choreography NEEDED the guys from John Wick.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#7 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sat Aug 6, 2016 3:11 pm

I was going to see it but passed after the rotten tomatoes review
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#8 » by kane » Sat Aug 6, 2016 5:53 pm

FirePjax wrote:I was going to see it but passed after the rotten tomatoes review

lmao some DC fans started a petition to get RT taken down
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,086

Post#9 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 6, 2016 6:01 pm

I saw it, I thought it was pretty good.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#10 » by N8isScofield » Sat Aug 6, 2016 6:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I collected the original run of Suicide Squad in the 80s and at the time, there was nothing like it in comic books. Problem is, today every other comic book is like this one. If you remember, the 80s was a weird time in American history because the intelligence branches were making some dark deals to de-stabilize countries as well as pit foes against each other. Writer John Ostrander was allowed to use mostly obscure characters, which played into the "red ensign" component of these Catch-22 missions to hell.

These characters are supposed to be 100% remorseless. Lesson to be learned, there's not much difference between a hired killer and "good" military man like Rick Flag who was trained to be one.

Now, the problem with the movie is simple. Media and society does NOT want you to believe that remorseless individuals exist. Enter Will Smith playing Deadshot who is a killer but he makes up for it, making sure his daughter is doing her geometry homework. Deadshot loves his SON (in the book) but he's 100% REMORSELESS. He has respect for people, colder than he is. The Diablo character is a horrific stereotype, right down to his back story.

That said, the movie has MORE of a theme than BvS: Dawn of Justice: Every one even the dangerous ones lament over lost love.

Now, the final act would have been more interested if....

Spoiler:
The Joker got his hands on the Enchantress' heart and was trying to bargain the heart for Harley. The Tension would have been racheted up to 10+ AND the movie could go in any direction, creating suspense.

As it stands, the fight choreography NEEDED the guys from John Wick.

I definitely agree with your take on what would have made the final act more interesting. That would have been awesome. I'm a little annoyed they cut a ton of Leto's scenes because I didn't feel like I got to properly judge his performance given the little screen time he has. The RT score is a little absurd but I wasn't signing any petitions over it lol. Overall it was a fairly enjoyable 2 hours featuring underdeveloped characters. I would like to see more of them in other projects where they can stretch their legs a bit more. I especially want more Amanda Waller. I thought Viola Davis was exceptional as the
Spoiler:
actual villain in the movie
. I also really liked Deadshot and Harley even if they did depart a bit from the more canon versions I grew up with. I'm also somewhat curious about this rumor of WB hiring a trailer company to recut Ayer's original cut and then auditioning the 2 for focus groups. I would much rather live and die by what the director intends(even Synder) than a bunch of suits desperately trying to artificially make a movie appeal to the masses. Overall I liked it much more than BvS. It wouldn't feel like a chore to watch it again. I'll probably go see it one more time in 4DX this time.
AllanH20
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,883

Post#11 » by AllanH20 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 7:22 pm

"I'm ready to be an animal for this city."
- Joakim Noah
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#12 » by magnumt » Sat Aug 6, 2016 7:57 pm

Smash3 wrote: Without Will and Margot though it wouldn't have been nearly as good they carried the movie.

That's why they're getting their own Solo Movies. :lol:

Btw, anyone hear that Suicide Squad will likely crush Guardian of Galaxy's August numbers?

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#13 » by magnumt » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:09 pm

kane wrote:
FirePjax wrote:I was going to see it but passed after the rotten tomatoes review

RT has really become a joke tho, and far from what it used to be. Don't even get me started on Meta Critic. :lol: :nonono:

There's A LOT of movies that have gotten lesser RT ratings but CRUUUUUSHED box office numbers and recieved good star ratings. Jurrasic World, Ant-Man, etc.

Point is, people need to use their own judgement & instinct.

--Mags

magnumt6
kane
Head Coach

Post#14 » by kane » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:14 pm

magnumt wrote:
Smash3 wrote: Without Will and Margot though it wouldn't have been nearly as good they carried the movie.

Btw, anyone hear that Suicide Squad will likely crush Guardian of Galaxy's August numbers?

--Mags

It doesn't matter it will still lose money....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by magnumt » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:18 pm

kane wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

I betcha (not literally), that this movie hits Worldwide numbers of near $1 Billion. :D

--Mags

magnumt6
kane
Head Coach

Post#16 » by kane » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:21 pm

magnumt wrote:
kane wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

I betcha (not literally), that this movie hits Worldwide numbers of near $1 Billion. :D

--Mags

BvS had the biggest drop off of any movie in history ... you need good reviews for a movie to have legs... :-?
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#17 » by gavran » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:22 pm

magnumt wrote:
kane wrote:
magnumt wrote:

--Mags

--Mags

And how would it do that? Batman vs Superman didn't achieve that, and that was a movie with characters people knew about and anticipated. If it were good, then maybe, but it seems it is a complete PoS movie.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by magnumt » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:33 pm

...And yet this movie isn't BvsS. Go figure. ;)

--Mags

magnumt6
kane
Head Coach

Post#19 » by kane » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:35 pm

magnumt wrote:
kane wrote:

RT has really become a joke tho, and far from what it used to be. Don't even get me started on Meta Critic. :lol: :nonono:

There's A LOT of movies that have gotten lesser RT ratings but CRUUUUUSHED box office numbers and recieved good star ratings. Jurrasic World, Ant-Man, etc.

--Mags

ant-man got a 81% JW got a 71%.... id hardly call those lesser ratings, not sure what you mean

magnumt wrote:...And yet this movie isn't BvsS. Go figure. ;)

--Mags

that doesn't change the basic fact that movies with poor reception will get less repeat views and bad world of mouth will make it harder to keep making money down the road
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by magnumt » Sat Aug 6, 2016 8:47 pm

kane wrote:
magnumt wrote:
kane wrote:

--Mags

ant-man got a 81% JW got a 71%.... id hardly call those lesser ratings, not sure what you mean

The perception these days is that unless a movie gets an RT of 85%-90% or above, it's not worth their time. With the numbers some of those movies produced (exceeding/blowing expectations), they don't match their respective "critics ratings."

I mean 71% for Jurassic World, who set Record after Record (also has a sub 60% Meta rating :nonono: ). Some people just try too hard to be movie buffs and come off as boujee snobs (the NYU Film School types). Speaking about the critics, not you personally.

I remember so many who wrote off Ant-Man before it even opened, and Marvel made them look like the clueless film clowns they really were.

Point is, is Suicide Squad a classic... likely no. But, it's still a very enjoyable film not the "pos film" clueless ones are trying to make it out to be based on early mass thinking, without even seeing it for themselves with their own eyes or thoughts. :roll:

--Mags

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks