ImageImageImageImageImage

Official New York Rangers Thread

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Knickstape1214, Capn'O, King of Canada, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, j4remi, mrpoetryNmotion

User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#41 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 3, 2016 9:30 pm

26 games into the season, the NY Rangers, MSG's winningest team, finds themselves in 1st place with a 17-8-1 record and good for 35 pts. All is not well in Rangerland. They hit a rough patch. Going 5-4-1 in their last ten. Heart breaking OT loss to the Panthers, betting blown out against the Pens at home, shut out against the Senators, and losing a 2 goal lead against the Sabres...

What is the common denominator? A 35 year old Goaltender has been between the pipes. Lundqvst has gone 11-7-1 with GAA 2.49. In the last 4 games he's had a GAA 3+.

Today, Lundy let in Hurricanes goal less than 17 sec after the Rangers broke the tie. Fortunately the Rangers struck hard and fast making it 4-2 but there was a muttering at MSG when it became 2-2.

Cause for concern? Not yet. Something moving forward as the season goes on.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#42 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:54 am

After 30 games, the NY Rangers are in 1st place Patrick Division with 41 points. Tied for the Wales Conference lead. Rangers still post the #1 offense, 6th best defense, 5th power play and 4th best penalty killing.

They ARE the best team at MSG.

Their last three wins have been impressive.

2-1 Win on the road against a scrappy Winnipeg team

1-0 OT win at home against Chicago

5-0 win against NJ Devils

But there's something different. Lundqvist (2.55 GAA) was not the starting goaltender for any of these games. Since he was lit up by the Isles, coach Alain Vigneault has given Annti Ranta the starting gig.

I'm sure Henrik will get a game every 3 games or more but his days as the every day starting goaltender are over till playoffs.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#43 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 am




NY Rangers just won back back shoot outs on the road in Nashville and at home against the NJ Devils. What is significant in this, Henrik Lundqvst played back to back nights and looked terrific. 34 games into the season, the Rangers are still looking good.

Tues at the igloo against the hated Penguins.
User avatar
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,446
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
Location: Gotham
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#44 » by N8isScofield » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:


NY Rangers just won back back shoot outs on the road in Nashville and at home against the NJ Devils. What is significant in this, Henrik Lundqvst played back to back nights and looked terrific. 34 games into the season, the Rangers are still looking good.

Tues at the igloo against the hated Penguins.

Hank was always getting his job back. He is a notorious slow starter. It just happened to carry over a bit longer than it usually does this season. He probably should only start say 4 out of every 6 games from here on out. He needs to be as fresh as possible for a deep cup run but rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. It was smart to sit him for a little while but he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt.
#JanisGang
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#45 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:58 pm

N8isScofield wrote:Hank was always getting his job back. He is a notorious slow starter. It just happened to carry over a bit longer than it usually does this season. He probably should only start say 4 out of every 6 games from here on out. He needs to be as fresh as possible for a deep cup run but rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. It was smart to sit him for a little while but he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt.


I didn't like Lundqvist playing back to back in net. It's not wise with the Pens up next. Nashville and New Jersey aren't anywhere close to the threat the Rangers are facing this week.

I really hope his embarrassing performance against the Isles and Pens doesn't carry over.
User avatar
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,446
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
Location: Gotham
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#46 » by N8isScofield » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:Hank was always getting his job back. He is a notorious slow starter. It just happened to carry over a bit longer than it usually does this season. He probably should only start say 4 out of every 6 games from here on out. He needs to be as fresh as possible for a deep cup run but rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. It was smart to sit him for a little while but he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt.


I didn't like Lundqvist playing back to back in net. It's not wise with the Pens up next. Nashville and New Jersey aren't anywhere close to the threat the Rangers are facing this week.

I really hope his embarrassing performance against the Isles and Pens doesn't carry over.

AV is in a tough spot. He's not obviously not in his prime anymore but how do you alienate the guy who has carried your franchise for 10 years when he's still the best player on the roster? It's a delicate situation.
#JanisGang
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,753
And1: 6,803
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#47 » by magnumt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Injuries are starting to pile up. Key ones too. But we keep on pressing on and winning when we need to.

#Perseverance

--Mags
BAT 18 - GS Warriors
Jameer Nelson / Brandon Jennings / Raymond Felton
Evan Fournier / Devin Harris / Rashad Vaughn
DeMar DeRozan / Gerald Green / Alan Anderson
Tyler Zeller / Adreian Payne / Bruno Caboclo
Nikola Jokic / Cole Aldrich / Joel Anthony
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#48 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Well Nash suffered a groin injury that he's been struggling with on and off. He'll miss a couple games. Mika Zibanejad who suffered a broken leg. I was at that game against the Panthers, you could HEAR the snap. He'll be back mid January. LW Pavel Buchnevich could be a serious concern with a protruding disc. At least he's skating but his time table is unknown.
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,753
And1: 6,803
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#49 » by magnumt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well Nash suffered a groin injury that he's been struggling with on and off. He'll miss a couple games. Mika Zibanejad who suffered a broken leg. I was at that game against the Panthers, you could HEAR the snap. He'll be back mid January. LW Pavel Buchnevich could be a serious concern with a protruding disc. At least he's skating but his time table is unknown.


Injuries took us down a couple of years ago too. We didn't have the depth to cover like we do now and couldn't hold up the title run as a result.

--Mags
BAT 18 - GS Warriors
Jameer Nelson / Brandon Jennings / Raymond Felton
Evan Fournier / Devin Harris / Rashad Vaughn
DeMar DeRozan / Gerald Green / Alan Anderson
Tyler Zeller / Adreian Payne / Bruno Caboclo
Nikola Jokic / Cole Aldrich / Joel Anthony
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#50 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:47 am

First Period over, Raanta playing like a man possessed. Pens scored after securing a FOUR minute Power play (that's some BS). Rangers TIED it up!
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#51 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Ugh. Violated by the loss to the Pens. Yes, the Rangers have better speed but they are missing one big forward not named Nash and one big defenseman who can push the Pens out of the crease.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#52 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:53 pm

38 games into the season, the NY Rangers are in 3rd place in the division behind the defending champs, Pittsburgh Penguins and the red hot Columbus Bluejackets (14 game win streak). Pretty much that's where they are.



Um, I'm sorry folks but Lundqvist is not going to be the guy to lead the Rangers to the promised land. He was benched after back to back thrashing. The Minnesota Wild destroyed him and Hank was benched for FOUR games. Basically Raanta IS making starts in key games.

Despite the injuries the Rangers are doing well. They ARE a team in transition. As they continue to get younger, I can see in another season or two, they open up the
User avatar
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,446
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 01, 2010
Location: Gotham
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#53 » by N8isScofield » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:00 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:38 games into the season, the NY Rangers are in 3rd place in the division behind the defending champs, Pittsburgh Penguins and the red hot Columbus Bluejackets (14 game win streak). Pretty much that's where they are.



Um, I'm sorry folks but Lundqvist is not going to be the guy to lead the Rangers to the promised land. He was benched after back to back thrashing. The Minnesota Wild destroyed him and Hank was benched for FOUR games. Basically Raanta IS making starts in key games.

Despite the injuries the Rangers are doing well. They ARE a team in transition. As they continue to get younger, I can see in another season or two, they open up the

Yeah it's not looking good for poor Hank. Honestly it will be good for the team when his contract is off the books. You just don't need a goalie making huge money to win a cup. That money is much better spent on an elite center or defenseman or spread around to give raises to the kids as they become arbitration eligible. I still think that we're a team desperately in need of a true star who can carry the scoring the load in the playoffs. We've got 4 good lines but ever team that wins has at least one and usually 2 absolutely elite forwards.The positive thing about the Rangers though is that because of the history, current success and fanbase it actually is a true destination for free agents in their primes if we've got cap space.
#JanisGang
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#54 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 pm

N8isScofield wrote:Yeah it's not looking good for poor Hank. Honestly it will be good for the team when his contract is off the books. You just don't need a goalie making huge money to win a cup. That money is much better spent on an elite center or defenseman or spread around to give raises to the kids as they become arbitration eligible. I still think that we're a team desperately in need of a true star who can carry the scoring the load in the playoffs. We've got 4 good lines but ever team that wins has at least one and usually 2 absolutely elite forwards.The positive thing about the Rangers though is that because of the history, current success and fanbase it actually is a true destination for free agents in their primes if we've got cap space.


You make a GREAT point about goalies. This is not the days of every day goaltender being the "closer" to win a Cup as it was with Mike Vernon, Patrick Roy, Ron Hextall, Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek, Curtis Joseph, and Mike Richter. Teams often utilize a two goalie system, making sure their #1 is WELL-RESTED for the playoffs. Think about the goalies on the Stanley Cup winning teams, they were very good but they weren't dominating. It was the system which utilized quicker, deeper 4 lines and big athletic defensemen who can shove guys out of the way.

I'll be overjoyed when ridiculous contracts of Staal, Girardi, and Lundqvist are off the books. I LOVE the youth the Rangers have and in a couple seasons, they'll be hitting their prime as the Rangers can re-load their roster via free agency.
User avatar
BadNewsBarnes
Starter
Posts: 2,146
And1: 731
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#55 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 pm

Hey Dr, I'll be overjoyed too...but I'd love to see Hank win a cup...
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#56 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 1, 2017 3:04 am

Kreider with a hat trick on New Year's Eve. 4-2 Rangers in Colorado.
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#57 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 1, 2017 3:08 am

Ryan Anderson destroyed Melo on both sides of the court. Right now, Brandon Jennings is the guy keeping the Knicks in this game.
User avatar
poeman
General Manager
Posts: 9,085
And1: 6,259
Joined: May 21, 2008
         

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#58 » by poeman » Sun Jan 1, 2017 3:08 am

Torts tho is killing it with CBJ
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,311
And1: 2,995
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#59 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 1, 2017 3:21 am

The coach who called out Hank and was fired.
User avatar
BadNewsBarnes
Starter
Posts: 2,146
And1: 731
Joined: Feb 03, 2012
       

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#60 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:10 am

Rangers score 6 tonight w/o Nash, Zibanejad and Buchnevich. Rangers going to be tough when they all come back...
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan

Return to New York Knicks