ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,430

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#421 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 8, 2017 4:20 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Gaethje is a monster.

Thoughts?

He's a monster and i've been a fan of this kid for a while in the world series of fighting but in the UFC and his stacked division, he isn't gonna make it with some of these hard hitters but he'll give us a show every time he fights. I guess it doesn't really matter to him if he gets knocked out anyway but he's gonna be fun to watch in the UFC where he's belonged for a long time.

He even said himself, it's just a matter of time before someone in the UFC knocks him out. :lol:
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#422 » by Carl_Karlson » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:40 pm

Nunes dropped out of the main event. Said she's been sick all week. Yoel/Whittaker for the interim title is now the ME
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#423 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:49 am

Carl_Karlson wrote:Nunes dropped out of the main event. Said she's been sick all week. Yoel/Whittaker for the interim title is now the ME

GTFO. This shyt never happens in boxing.

Whoever purchases a UFC PPV fight before the bell rings, it playing roulette with their money. I feel for the ones who bought tickets to the event
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#424 » by Battery » Sun Jul 9, 2017 1:01 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Carl_Karlson wrote:Nunes dropped out of the main event. Said she's been sick all week. Yoel/Whittaker for the interim title is now the ME

Whoever purchases a UFC PPV fight before the bell rings, it playing roulette with their money. I feel for the ones who bought tickets to the event

What do you think of Bellator? My brother-in-law is the producer for Spike TV Bellator but I never watch it on TV. I only go when he is in Florida but they rarely come down here. I think he's in Oklahoma this weekend or maybe next. I have no idea since he travels so much.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#425 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 2:00 am

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

What do you think of Bellator? My brother-in-law is the producer for Spike TV Bellator but I never watch it on TV. I only go when he is in Florida but they rarely come down here. I think he's in Oklahoma this weekend or maybe next. I have no idea since he travels so much.

That's cool. You should definitely get him to pull some tickets for you guys.

It's getting better. I think I heard Rogan saying that the middleweight division was for real. I think your brother in law should be hearing from Travis Browne's camp soon after his loss tonight. :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#426 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 2:02 am

Can't believe Nunes pulled out from tonight's Main Event. I'm waiting until I get the full scoop, but I understand that she was medically cleared to fight just a couple of days ago, after she had suffered her illness. But if others have more info, please let us know

j4rmemi can give you the definitive opinions on the state of Bellator. My understanding that it's improving but still second tier to UFC.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,806

Post#427 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:32 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It's getting better. I think I heard Rogan saying that the middleweight division was for real. I think your brother in law should be hearing from Travis Browne's camp soon after his loss tonight. :lol:
my bjj coach is an active fighter in bellator he says it's definitely inferior but the stables are consistently improving ...equivalent to UFC 10 years ago
Formerly Knicks85
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#428 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:38 am

knicks85 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

my bjj coach is an active fighter in bellator he says it's definitely inferior but the stables are consistently improving ...equivalent to UFC 10 years ago

BJJ, that's great. How long?
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,806

Post#429 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

6 months still really ****...have to remember not to try to muscle dudes...but it's fun
Formerly Knicks85
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#430 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:13 am

knicks85 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
knicks85 wrote:my bjj coach is an active fighter in bellator he says it's definitely inferior but the stables are consistently improving ...equivalent to UFC 10 years ago

6 months still really ****...have to remember not to try to muscle dudes...but it's fun

That's great. Stick with it. I took some karate as a kid and then a basketball buddy of mine in Philadelphia (named Blake, he was the son of Miss Landers, Beaver's grade school teacher in the old TV sitcom Leave it to Beaver) taught kung fu so I took some lessons from him and learned a number of different striking forms. Then I got busy with work and I just didn't make the time for it. I would love to go back and learn some type of martial arts form to help me get back into shape.
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,307

Post#431 » by Jellybeans » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:20 am

Bisping :D :D :D
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#432 » by matchman » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:20 am

Romero gassed out and it is difficult for him to handle 5 rounds, but props for Whittaker to survive that knee injury and be the new champ.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,926

Post#433 » by islanders11040 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:25 am

Robert Whittaker fights like such a vet. So smart and never overcommits. Outstanding take down defense too. This guy can be the champion for a while. Hats off.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#434 » by matchman » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

That's great. Stick with it. I took some karate as a kid and then a basketball buddy of mine in Philadelphia (named Blake, he was the son of Miss Landers, Beaver's grade school teacher in the old TV sitcom Leave it to Beaver) taught kung fu so I took some lessons from him and learned a number of different striking forms. Then I got busy with work and I just didn't make the time for it. I would love to go back and learn some type of martial arts form to help me get back into shape.

Dont realize you have learnt Kung Fu before. Nice to know.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#435 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:07 pm

She was 100% cleared by doctors to fight and still didn't do it which is BS. M.Bisping was saying that she most likely had a tough weight cut and that's the real reason she didn't wanna fight. D.White said after the fights that A.Nunes will never be the main event on a fight card again so he's pissed.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#436 » by sushibear » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:57 pm

How come there is no thread on that huge boxing fight mayweather vs mcgregor? it's officially going down next month on the 26th.

BTW I thought this tweet was hilarious!
Read on Twitter
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#437 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#438 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Some takeaways after UFC Glasgow:
- I started the Cynthia Calvillo hypetrain after her 3rd career fight and she's living up to it. She's got a ways to go still especially as a wrestler but she's with team alpha male and she's an incredible submission grappler with really solid striking to stand with JoJo Calderwood and win.

- Gunnar caught a nasty eye poke before he got KO'ed but the loss hurts. Santiago Ponzinibbio is a KO striker in a welterweight division that could use some rising challengers. I'd love to see him get tested by one of the pressure strikers in the division aka Matt Brown or Carlos Condit.

- Khalil Rountree is explosive and looks way more comfortable in the octagon now. He took his time to get the KO (and won me some money betting the under on fight length and the win). His grappling wasn't tested and that's his big weakness so we don't know if he's ready to make real noise but he's proving that he's too good for the lower tier UFC LHW fighters.

- Paul Felder is a dude who can come out and look like a world beater then follow it up with a lazy performance where he takes a loss to a decent but not great opponent. He looked fantastic against Stevie Ray though and I'd really love to see him fight one of the other striking prospects in the division. David Teymur, Lando Vanatta, Marc Diakese, Joe Duffy...there are some really great options.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#439 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:19 pm

j4remi wrote:Some takeaways after UFC Glasgow:
- I started the Cynthia Calvillo hypetrain after her 3rd career fight and she's living up to it. She's got a ways to go still especially as a wrestler but she's with team alpha male and she's an incredible submission grappler with really solid striking to stand with JoJo Calderwood and win.

- Gunnar caught a nasty eye poke before he got KO'ed but the loss hurts. Santiago Ponzinibbio is a KO striker in a welterweight division that could use some rising challengers. I'd love to see him get tested by one of the pressure strikers in the division aka Matt Brown or Carlos Condit.

- Khalil Rountree is explosive and looks way more comfortable in the octagon now. He took his time to get the KO (and won me some money betting the under on fight length and the win). His grappling wasn't tested and that's his big weakness so we don't know if he's ready to make real noise but he's proving that he's too good for the lower tier UFC LHW fighters.

- Paul Felder is a dude who can come out and look like a world beater then follow it up with a lazy performance where he takes a loss to a decent but not great opponent. He looked fantastic against Stevie Ray though and I'd really love to see him fight one of the other striking prospects in the division. David Teymur, Lando Vanatta, Marc Diakese, Joe Duffy...there are some really great options.

I've been a fan of Cavillo since she came onto the scene as well but she did pretty much nothing in that fight besides land one good straight jab that busted Calderwood's nose up and get two take downs which she wasn't even able to hold her down with. I don't think she won that fight. I was talking to the tv like you need to do something or you're gonna lose cause she wasn't doing shyt. I thought she lost that fight.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#440 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:I've been a fan of Cavillo since she came onto the scene as well but she did pretty much nothing in that fight besides land one good straight jab that busted Calderwood's nose up and get two take downs which she wasn't even able to hold her down with. I don't think she won that fight. I was talking to the tv like you need to do something or you're gonna lose cause she wasn't doing shyt. I thought she lost that fight.

I had it at 2-1 off the backtakes and submission threats. She threatened a rear naked choke in the first and when JoJo reversed it, Cyn went straight to an armbar that woulda hit if she had more time. The third, she almost locked a choke in late again. The fact that the two were on a level playing field in stand up means those takedowns and submission threats get an edge to me. It also didn't help that JoJo threw so many one and dones, just a lot of leg kicks and one piece punches while Calvillo threw combinations that were less powerful but landing on the second or third punch in. Considering where Calderwood stands in terms of strikers in the division, I think that's a really nice performance.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks