ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,447

Re: Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally! 

Post#1901 » by Strick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Strick wrote:Has anyone been to a UFC or high level MMA fight before? Hell, even boxing? I have never been to a high level combat sporting event in my life, but March 9th I'm going with my dad to UFC Fight Night 146 (I believe that's the number) main event will be Derrick Lewis vs Junior dos Santos. Obviously won't have nearly the star power a PPV would have, but I was curious to see if any of you guys have been. Really interested to feel the atmosphere being there in person. It has been something I've wanted to do for a long time so I am happy I am finally able to make it to one

Dude, I sat 3rd row from the ring a The Blue Horizon in Philadelphia. It should be a historic landmark. It's a walk into a time warp. I saw Buddy McGirt on the down-swing of his career fight some white guy. A bunch of lawyer friends got together and did the whole steak house and cigars thing before the fight after work on a weekday night. I felt like I was in a 1040s boxing movie. McGirt bloodied the white guy up. I wish I had brought a good camera to it because I could see this spay, which was a combination of sweat and blood, coming together from the white guy's head/face as it reflected in the lighting above when McGirt peppered him with solid combinations.

If anyone has a chance to go to this venue to watch a fight, please do yourself a favor and go. Do it up right too. What a blast.

Yeah we are row J on the floor, so row 10 or whatever it is. There are some big dudes going at it with Lewis and a bunch of 170+ fights. I have heard that the strikes (kicks especially) are so so much louder in person than on TV. Like some of those kicks sound like a gun going off.

That sounds like it was an unbelievable experience. We were going to get a bigger crew to go, but we kind of slacked on jumping on the tickets right away. Should be a good night. Good food, drinks, and hopefully some good fights
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,608

Post#1902 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:17 am

What a fight!!!! How do you score that first round? :lol:

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#1903 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Strick wrote:Has anyone been to a UFC or high level MMA fight before? Hell, even boxing? I have never been to a high level combat sporting event in my life, but March 9th I'm going with my dad to UFC Fight Night 146 (I believe that's the number) main event will be Derrick Lewis vs Junior dos Santos. Obviously won't have nearly the star power a PPV would have, but I was curious to see if any of you guys have been. Really interested to feel the atmosphere being there in person. It has been something I've wanted to do for a long time so I am happy I am finally able to make it to one

I watched Barao, Aldo and Faber in Newark (Brazilian fans took over the building except for when Uriah walked out). I've also been to a couple of other big ones (saw Arlovski when he was UFC champ in AC). The atmosphere is definitely different but generally friendly (there's always drunk a-holes at any arena event of course). I actually like the smaller arena or crowd shows more than the big ones because since MMA is so closed knit, you'd be surprised at how accessible people are. My friend hit up the PFL events and wound up meeting a bunch of UFC fighters that were supporting teammates or friends. Same thing goes for press conferences actually, I met Ed Soares at the Jones/Gus press conference at MSG and he gave my brother and I the drop that Anderson was close to finalizing a big fight; a month later Anderson vs Adesanya was official.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1904 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:What a fight!!!! How do you score that first round? :lol:

Talk about showing out fam. There were so many disappointing fights this weekend but sandwiched in all of that we got the early frontrunner for fight of the year.

Most of the exciting match ups were weak though. Cain dropped and hurt his knee off the first clean punch Ngannou landed; Mitrione's main event ended on a low blow inside of 30 seconds; Paul Daley and MVP were two high level strikers that engaged heavily in low level grappling for 5 rounds...SMFH we got all the good stuff from the sleepers like Luque and Barbarena. Some standouts though:

Valerie Loureda looked good in her debut. I'm convinced that she's gonna be the one to finally give me a highlight reel axe kick KO. The karate held up, great distance management and sent a girl flying on a body kick. Obviously she's a project signing, but a promising one.

Kongo boxed someone up...that never happens, he usually just wrestles and smothers guys.

Yaroslav Amosov had the best weekend for a Bellator fighter imo. Erick Silva's no slouch and had Amosov struggling in the striking but man, Amosov's grappling is the sambo sweetspot. He had the Khabib wrist control and smothering presence; that Sambo grip strength is not to be messed with.

Andrea Lee had a crazy lead up to her fight. She's another recent domestic abuse victim whose husband was also her coach. So while that separation is all figured out, she was forced to change gyms and deal with the fallout in the lead up to this fight. She still got the dubb clearly though.

Kron Gracie is that dude, the back take was fire and the sub was automatic. We have a lot more to see with his stand-up but he's training with the Stockton boys and absolutely dominant on the ground (we're talking tapped out every opponent he faced in route to winning an ADCC elite), so he's as exciting a prospect as it gets.

Calvillo's getting better on her feet. Still not all the way there yet. I love that she's got the guts to want Tatiana Suarez but I think that's too soon for her...honestly Suarez is hard to picture losing to anyone short of Andrade and Rose; I want her vs Joanna.

Felder finally got a top 10 guy and won. James Vick still backs up straight a lot and doesn't tuck his chin or move his head well. It's crazy he got to his ranking without that being exploited more but shame on Duffy for that. Felder was more patient than normal and cut the cage better (not really well but not rushing into things which made a world of difference). I like the Gaethje call out, that fight would be epic. But honestly, I'd be cool if Felder fought Hernandez or Oliveira next. They're ranked lower than Vick but would give Felder another taste of the top 15 before he enters the real murderer's row section because everyone from 9 up is a straight up killer and you've got guys like Gillespie floating at 11 while quality talent like Hooker, Teymur and Klose can't even break into the rankings. Take your time Paul, that top 15 spot can be fleeting if you rush it.

Ngannou deserves a ton of credit even if Cain looked like a shadow of his former self. Ngannou just got in there with Curtis Blaydes and Cain Velasquez back to back; the best two wrestlers you can get without fighting DC, and Francis KO'ed both in the first round. I want that Stipe rematch.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Strick
Lead Assistant

Post#1905 » by Strick » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:01 pm

j4remi wrote:

I watched Barao, Aldo and Faber in Newark (Brazilian fans took over the building except for when Uriah walked out). I've also been to a couple of other big ones (saw Arlovski when he was UFC champ in AC). The atmosphere is definitely different but generally friendly (there's always drunk a-holes at any arena event of course). I actually like the smaller arena or crowd shows more than the big ones because since MMA is so closed knit, you'd be surprised at how accessible people are. My friend hit up the PFL events and wound up meeting a bunch of UFC fighters that were supporting teammates or friends. Same thing goes for press conferences actually, I met Ed Soares at the Jones/Gus press conference at MSG and he gave my brother and I the drop that Anderson was close to finalizing a big fight; a month later Anderson vs Adesanya was official.

That's awesome! I am looking forward to it. The arena should be on the smaller side especially compared to the bigger ones that they hold some PPV fights at. Just hope for some good fights honestly! Yeah, I definitely was expecting there to be quite a few drunk as*es like most sporting events lol.

BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#1906 » by BKAY » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:31 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:What a fight!!!! How do you score that first round? :lol:

from a score card, barbarena had to have been winning that one. Even though he was throwing a million punches with nothing behind them, he was scoring way more often than Luque. Luque's shots were delivering more damage but I'd have scored that 29-27 Barbarena
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1907 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Strick wrote:That's awesome! I am looking forward to it. The arena should be on the smaller side especially compared to the bigger ones that they hold some PPV fights at. Just hope for some good fights honestly! Yeah, I definitely was expecting there to be quite a few drunk as*es like most sporting events lol.

My favorite events have been smaller venues fam, definitely the best opportunities to shout out recognizable faces. Most fighters are hella cool and appreciate when you show love as long as you're chill about it. True story, I think the self-control factor is better at fight events than most baseball and football games I've gone to...it might just be because no one wants to accidentally start a fight with a Ryan Hall though :lol: Seriously though, for a fight fan, going to live shows is addictive :nod:

Sidenote: As minor a moment as it seems, the most electrifying thing I've been live for at a fight event was actually Faber's walk out. The entrance is iconic, but being there for it was a different animal...even on the east coast while he was fighting a Brazilian star in a predominantly Brazilian supporting crowd. It was epic.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Strick
Lead Assistant

Post#1908 » by Strick » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:40 pm

j4remi wrote:
Strick wrote:That's awesome! I am looking forward to it. The arena should be on the smaller side especially compared to the bigger ones that they hold some PPV fights at. Just hope for some good fights honestly! Yeah, I definitely was expecting there to be quite a few drunk as*es like most sporting events lol.

My favorite events have been smaller venues fam, definitely the best opportunities to shout out recognizable faces. Most fighters are hella cool and appreciate when you show love as long as you're chill about it. True story, I think the self-control factor is better at fight events than most baseball and football games I've gone to...it might just be because no one wants to accidentally start a fight with a Ryan Hall though :lol: Seriously though, for a fight fan, going to live shows is addictive :nod:

Sidenote: As minor a moment as it seems, the most electrifying thing I've been live for at a fight event was actually Faber's walk out. The entrance is iconic, but being there for it was a different animal...even on the east coast while he was fighting a Brazilian star in a predominantly Brazilian supporting crowd. It was epic.

Yeah, I could only imagine what that was like. I would love to see someone with that much buzz live. Someone like JBJ or McGregor would be insane to watch live, because there are so many people that love and hate them that the walkout would have to be insane.

I hope Lewis shows up to fight. I really like watching him and I think he will want to have a good showing after that DC fight. I honestly don't know really anyone else on the card, but there are some interesting matchups on paper as far as height/weight with record.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1909 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Strick wrote:Yeah, I could only imagine what that was like. I would love to see someone with that much buzz live. Someone like JBJ or McGregor would be insane to watch live, because there are so many people that love and hate them that the walkout would have to be insane.

I hope Lewis shows up to fight. I really like watching him and I think he will want to have a good showing after that DC fight. I honestly don't know really anyone else on the card, but there are some interesting matchups on paper as far as height/weight with record.

I'm probably gonna set aside half a stack from my fight bets just to try and cop a ticket to MSG when Jon Jones inevitably fights here. There really is a different energy when the superstars are out. I hit Barclays just for the MayMac insanity and as hectic as that whole thing was, the crowd and energy was incredible. I definitely co-sign going to see one of the larger than life cats.

On that Lewis card, you've got a lot of talented cats that are caught between contender and journeyman like Dariush types. You should get a lot of good fights. I'm nervous about Lewis vs JDS because JDS fights really smart and has been using his feet more and more with age. I could see it looking like JSD vs Ben Rothwell if Lewis doesn't play smart, but I'm a big fan of Lewis. Watching Ngannou in the Blaydes and Cain fights really shows how threatening Lewis' power is, because Francis wanted no parts of it.

From a styles make fights perspective, I like Dober vs Dariush; Kunitskaya vs Reneau and Means vs Price for your card. Those are scrappy ones that should be good. And if you're gunning to watch the whole card (they're long so I get why some heads don't marathon it), Schnell vs Smolka ought to be rapid pace with lots of grappling. I'm hype for that one on a pure entertainment level. Low key, the prelims are where you can sneakily catch a future stud. I saw Al vs Lee 1 before they were big and check how stacked the AC card was that I went to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_53

I was young and drank too much so I completely forgot Forrest Griffin or young Nick Diaz were even on the card.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Strick
Lead Assistant

Post#1910 » by Strick » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm

j4remi wrote:
Strick wrote:Yeah, I could only imagine what that was like. I would love to see someone with that much buzz live. Someone like JBJ or McGregor would be insane to watch live, because there are so many people that love and hate them that the walkout would have to be insane.

I'm probably gonna set aside half a stack from my fight bets just to try and cop a ticket to MSG when Jon Jones inevitably fights here. There really is a different energy when the superstars are out. I hit Barclays just for the MayMac insanity and as hectic as that whole thing was, the crowd and energy was incredible. I definitely co-sign going to see one of the larger than life cats.

On that Lewis card, you've got a lot of talented cats that are caught between contender and journeyman like Dariush types. You should get a lot of good fights. I'm nervous about Lewis vs JDS because JDS fights really smart and has been using his feet more and more with age. I could see it looking like JSD vs Ben Rothwell if Lewis doesn't play smart, but I'm a big fan of Lewis. Watching Ngannou in the Blaydes and Cain fights really shows how threatening Lewis' power is, because Francis wanted no parts of it.

From a styles make fights perspective, I like Dober vs Dariush; Kunitskaya vs Reneau and Means vs Price for your card. Those are scrappy ones that should be good. And if you're gunning to watch the whole card (they're long so I get why some heads don't marathon it), Schnell vs Smolka ought to be rapid pace with lots of grappling. I'm hype for that one on a pure entertainment level. Low key, the prelims are where you can sneakily catch a future stud. I saw Al vs Lee 1 before they were big and check how stacked the AC card was that I went to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_53

I was young and drank too much so I completely forgot Forrest Griffin or young Nick Diaz were even on the card.

Damn that would have been a sick one to see.

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing a potential up and comer who could be the next ___.

I hope there is a wild finish to at least one of the fights. So many fights I would have killed to be there (Rory vs Lawler, Diaz vs McGregor 1 or 2, McGregor vs Aldo, JBJ vs Gus 1, Nunes vs Cyborg, etc) so many incredible fights throughout the years. I would love to see a really good fight through and through. Even if it is two no names who don't reach being notable.

I always wondered if it is hard to see the fighters when they are grappling. Do most people have to look at a screen or something when that happens?

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1911 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Strick wrote:Damn that would have been a sick one to see.

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing a potential up and comer who could be the next ___.

I hope there is a wild finish to at least one of the fights. So many fights I would have killed to be there (Rory vs Lawler, Diaz vs McGregor 1 or 2, McGregor vs Aldo, JBJ vs Gus 1, Nunes vs Cyborg, etc) so many incredible fights throughout the years. I would love to see a really good fight through and through. Even if it is two no names who don't reach being notable.

I always wondered if it is hard to see the fighters when they are grappling. Do most people have to look at a screen or something when that happens?

For prospect watched; I think Curtis Millender has looked super promising and they've got him high on the card for you, so that's a good one to catch. Ivanov could make noise with the HW's too.

To this day I tell whoever I can about Scott Smith vs Pete Sell (my GOAT finish) and Melvin Manhoef vs Cyborg in King of the Cage (most slept on classic). You really never know when you'll catch one of those great moments. Rory vs Lawler 2 was on what I think is the GOAT UFC, it's a top 10 all time fight imo and then it was followed by McGregor vs Mendes which had live performances for walkouts and an epic finish. Even watching that live was a treat.

On the grappling tip, I've never been close enough that I haven't used the screens for UFC event. This can be annoying if the big screen is weak, I forget which one I was at where things were kinda blurry. It's weird, in a lot of ways you see and feel things that you wouldn't (impact on strikes type deal) but in others you really do miss out on some details (bad angles, distance hiding subtle stuff like grip or if the choke is sunken in). It's definitely it's own animal. I'm hype for you fam, this convo makes me wanna go to an event my damned self.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Strick
Lead Assistant

Post#1912 » by Strick » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:28 pm

j4remi wrote:
Strick wrote:Damn that would have been a sick one to see.

For prospect watched; I think Curtis Millender has looked super promising and they've got him high on the card for you, so that's a good one to catch. Ivanov could make noise with the HW's too.

To this day I tell whoever I can about Scott Smith vs Pete Sell (my GOAT finish) and Melvin Manhoef vs Cyborg in King of the Cage (most slept on classic). You really never know when you'll catch one of those great moments. Rory vs Lawler 2 was on what I think is the GOAT UFC, it's a top 10 all time fight imo and then it was followed by McGregor vs Mendes which had live performances for walkouts and an epic finish. Even watching that live was a treat.

On the grappling tip, I've never been close enough that I haven't used the screens for UFC event. This can be annoying if the big screen is weak, I forget which one I was at where things were kinda blurry. It's weird, in a lot of ways you see and feel things that you wouldn't (impact on strikes type deal) but in others you really do miss out on some details (bad angles, distance hiding subtle stuff like grip or if the choke is sunken in). It's definitely it's own animal. I'm hype for you fam, this convo makes me wanna go to an event my damned self.

I really appreciate the insight on the fighters I'll be seeing along with some of the things I should expect when I'm there! If it is as you make it seem then I don't blame you one bit for hyping yourself into going to another event :lol: . I feel like it is almost a guarantee I'll be hooked and will be looking to go to any event I can that is close and will definitely be looking into trying to acquire tickets for a PPV in the future

BKAY
Analyst

Post#1913 » by BKAY » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 am

235 is stacked! 2 title bouts that are actually for the undisputed belts. Askren's UFC debut/ Lawler's return . Zabit/Stephens. Garabrant.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally! 

Post#1914 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:57 am

Former NBA prospect Royce White training for UFC heavyweight division.

Hopefully he found he calling. Kid had great NBA skills.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2822743-ex-iowa-state-star-royce-white-training-to-fight-in-ufc-wants-heavyweight-title

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Free Palestine
BKAY
Analyst

Post#1915 » by BKAY » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Former NBA prospect Royce White training for UFC heavyweight division.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2822743-ex-iowa-state-star-royce-white-training-to-fight-in-ufc-wants-heavyweight-title

Royce White is the biggest tool. I know hes got his issues but damn this guy needs to go away. His anxiety was too overwhelming to play basketball. So now hes gonna be a fighter lol at the UFC level LOL
BKAY
Analyst

Post#1916 » by BKAY » Fri Mar 1, 2019 7:26 pm

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1917 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Mar 1, 2019 9:19 pm

BKAY wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Former NBA prospect Royce White training for UFC heavyweight division.

Royce White is the biggest tool. I know hes got his issues but damn this guy needs to go away. His anxiety was too overwhelming to play basketball. So now hes gonna be a fighter lol at the UFC level LOL

The anxiety had to do with flying on planes, not playing basketball. :lol:
Free Palestine
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#1918 » by Tron Carter » Fri Mar 1, 2019 9:50 pm

BKAY wrote:

I think I love askren’s personality as much as I hate his fights
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#1919 » by Tron Carter » Fri Mar 1, 2019 9:51 pm

t wood continues to get disprespected by vegas. can’t believe he’s dropped to -150
R.I.P Black Mamba
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#1920 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:16 am

Great card, looking forward to the zabit fight

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years

Return to New York Knicks