ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1101 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:18 am

I don't see the UFC letting Connor go, look at them welcoming Jon Jones who has done worse things and Brock back with open arms.

What this will do is remove any leverage Conor had in terms of negotiating for a higher contract for his next fight. He will likely have to fight at the $3 million which is his current deal as opposed to the $25-50 million+owneeship+copromotion he was aiming for

He will likely lose sponsorships

In terms of the UFC I am not sure how this will effect them in terms of their upcoming tv rights renweal negotiations..it actually may help as more ppl are talking about this and the sport then probably ever before. Trainwrecks equals ratings
Sent from The Process Network using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,888

Post#1102 » by matchman » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:16 am

kane2021 wrote:I think it’s bull ****. Maybe Connor took it further than they expected. I don’t know. But the ufc has been going the wwf route for awhile now. They’re desperate.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to offend remy or any other hardcore fans. Just calling it like I see it. This news doesn’t surprise me because it’s been headed in that direction for awhile now. Wild stunts outside of combat to draw publicity. They created this.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I think the way UFC handles afterwards would determine whether you are right on that or not. If Conor somehow goes back to the octagon (any reason) then yes I agree it's UFC who wants to go the WWF route.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1103 » by matchman » Fri Apr 6, 2018 3:41 am

Read on Twitter

Uh oh.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#1105 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:01 am

kane2021 wrote:I think it’s bull ****. Maybe Connor took it further than they expected. I don’t know. But the ufc has been going the wwf route for awhile now. They’re desperate.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to offend remy or any other hardcore fans. Just calling it like I see it. This news doesn’t surprise me because it’s been headed in that direction for awhile now. Wild stunts outside of combat to draw publicity. They created this.

Never even occurred to me. If that were true, just one less thing for me to patronize.
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Post#1106 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:38 am

Free Palestine
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,344

Post#1107 » by Jellybeans » Fri Apr 6, 2018 6:41 am

Is it bad,that this sh*t makes me love Conor even more? :D
Conor on cocaine 100% :D
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Post#1108 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 6, 2018 7:24 am

Jellybeans wrote:Is it bad,that this sh*t makes me love Conor even more? :D

I know what you're saying, but Conor's a dumb motherfcker. He just costs himself a whole bunch of money. What if the UFC loses it's license before the NYSAC? Do you know how much money that will cost the company? Say goodbye to that $100,000,000.00. Hello Bellator. I wonder whether Nevada and California can take away Conor's license to fight in those states based on this act? Hell, Conor is here in the U.S. on a work visa. I wonder if that will now be revoked.
Free Palestine
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#1109 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 7:56 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:Is it bad,that this sh*t makes me love Conor even more? :D

I know what you're saying, but Conor's a dumb motherfcker. He just costs himself a whole bunch of money. What if the UFC loses it's license before the NYSAC? Do you know how much money that will cost the company? Say goodbye to that $100,000,000.00. Hello Bellator. I wonder whether Nevada and California can take away Conor's license to fight in those states based on this act? Hell, Conor is here in the U.S. on a work visa. I wonder if that will now be revoked.

Even if nothing happens to their license. By himself he destroyed 3 fights (2 of them had really good potential to be legit good fights) and the image of this is horrible. I was always a big fan of Conor's trash talk before fights. But the water bottle throwing incident was bad optics and this is flat out horrible optics for the UFC. It's one thing when these guys go out and screw up out on their own, but when they do it during an UFC event like today, it makes it look really bad.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#1110 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:08 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Even if nothing happens to their license. By himself he destroyed 3 fights (2 of them had really good potential to be legit good fights) and the image of this is horrible. I was always a big fan of Conor's trash talk before fights. But the water bottle throwing incident was bad optics and this is flat out horrible optics for the UFC. It's one thing when these guys go out and screw up out on their own, but when they do it during an UFC event like today, it makes it look really bad.

Don't forget jumping in the cage during the Bellator event and almost going after ref Marc Goddard. Conor has been out of control and it's been getting worse and worse. Maybe 6 lawsuits from fighters who lost their opportunities to make win bonuses, performance bonuses, etc. and some who sustained legit injuries will bring him back down to Earth...I doubt it though.

Talk about the curse of being the face of MMA. It drove Jones, Rousey and McGregor full blown mad. GSP said he let it go to his head until Serra knocked him out. Silva was on point but had on and off beef with Dana and fans over his lazy performances, then the drug tests in the latter half of his career. DC and Stipe better watch out for whatever demon possesses these fighters.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1111 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:14 pm

The UFC is far from desperate.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1112 » by GEOLINK » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:16 pm

I see a lot of overreaction from MMA fans everywhere.

No one connected inside is saying anything. Conor will get a wrist slap and some money lost for sure.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#1113 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:32 pm

If he gets criminally charged he likely will never be able to fight in the USA as he is on a work visa. In addition, I do think the UFC will be put in a position where they will have to at least suspend him for 1 yr as he jeopardized the safety of many fighters, managers, ufc officials, and stadium security. You have to remember they were also females in that van, though they maybe fighters having broken glass being thrown in your vicinity is scary, and who knows what would have happened if these goons actually got inside the van.

If Conor gets away without any sort of punishment they might as well rename the UFC to the Conor McGregor show.

However I do believe this incident takes away any chance that Conor had in regards to co-promoting his fights with the UFC, as UFC affliated sponsors would want no part of it.

This was a bad day for the UFC, perhaps it's worst in it's history.

Sent from The Process Network using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1114 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:35 pm

My goodness there's fans that are overreacting more then Connor's dumb azz did...lol
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1115 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:48 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:My goodness there's fans that are overreacting more then Connor's dumb azz did...lol

MMA media and Social Media is a strange animal. Last week Jack Slack tweeted a satirical joke about Zab Judah knocking Khabib out in sparring (a clear play off the rumors from Mayweather vs McGregor). That tweet got picked up by multiple MMA news aggregators and treated like a true rumor.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#1116 » by red96 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:51 pm

Connor is a reckless a-hole. As punishment he should be caught, tied up, and released in the Octagon to fight Khabib. The bear will make him humble.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#1117 » by Fury » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:55 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:My goodness there's fans that are overreacting more then Connor's dumb azz did...lol

The dude’s actions prevented 3 matches from happening. Don’t think anyone is overreacting.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1118 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:02 pm

So here's a scary update..Doctor's are stopping Max from cutting weight. He's being pulled from the main event.

Felder and Pettis have both had some rumors of jumping into the spot but it's MMA, so just wait for official news. Ortega is in NY and had said he'd fight but I doubt he was cutting in case this happened. Al Iaquinta is the highest ranked Lightweight there if I'm not mistaken (9? I'll google it in a minute).

Borg/Moreno, Caceres/Lobov and Pettis/Chiesa are already off the card. Gotta expect someone will be moved up to fight Khabib, no one makes any sense though. This card has officially been torpedoed.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1119 » by matchman » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:07 pm

Seems now Max fails to pass the medical.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1120 » by matchman » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:14 pm

Now it seems Anthony Pettis will fight Khabib for the belt, how quick things are changing

Return to New York Knicks