ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53)

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Capn'O, FrontOfficeEye, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1201 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:10 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Does Ortega match up with him in weight? Sorry, I'm brain dead when it comes to tracking fighters by weight class


Ortega's a good sized 145, so he probably could move up and test Khabib out. I don't know that his footwork and discipline would keep him off the mat but like Ferguson; it'd be interesting to see if he can find success grappling with Khabib. I think that'd come down to how his strength holds when he fights 155'ers, especially a big one like Khabib.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 25,003
And1: 10,644
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1202 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:23 pm

j4remi wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Does Ortega match up with him in weight? Sorry, I'm brain dead when it comes to tracking fighters by weight class


Ortega's a good sized 145, so he probably could move up and test Khabib out. I don't know that his footwork and discipline would keep him off the mat but like Ferguson; it'd be interesting to see if he can find success grappling with Khabib. I think that'd come down to how his strength holds when he fights 155'ers, especially a big one like Khabib.


OK, well Ortega is maybe young enough to fill out a bit more, but I don't typically want catch weight type fights and usually prefer guys fight at their best weight.

Ortega became my MMA pet and now I have Ortega bedroom posters, Ortega iphone covers, Ortega electric toothbrushes and Ortega ice cream cakes. I think I like Ortega.
..................................................................STABLE
Image
..................................................................GENIUS
bringbackhoffa
Head Coach
Posts: 6,393
And1: 1,300
Joined: Apr 18, 2007
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1203 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:08 pm

Came away very impressed with Renato Moicano
Ferrell (30), Curry (18)
Roberson (30)
Wiggins (33), Oubre (26), Prince (10)
Parker (26), Siakam (20)
Poeltl (31), Dirk (16)

DNP: Carter, Johnson, Mozgov, grant, Noguiera
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 44,748
And1: 15,592
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1204 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:58 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Does Ortega match up with him in weight? Sorry, I'm brain dead when it comes to tracking fighters by weight class


Ortega's a good sized 145, so he probably could move up and test Khabib out. I don't know that his footwork and discipline would keep him off the mat but like Ferguson; it'd be interesting to see if he can find success grappling with Khabib. I think that'd come down to how his strength holds when he fights 155'ers, especially a big one like Khabib.


OK, well Ortega is maybe young enough to fill out a bit more, but I don't typically want catch weight type fights and usually prefer guys fight at their best weight.

Ortega became my MMA pet and now I have Ortega bedroom posters, Ortega iphone covers, Ortega electric toothbrushes and Ortega ice cream cakes. I think I like Ortega.


The thing is Khabib could probably also move up a weight class.
Image
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 44,748
And1: 15,592
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1205 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:42 pm

Check out Artem's response when Conor threw the hand dolly through the window. :lol:

Read on Twitter


Also, Conor caused trouble in hotel room AFTER being released by police.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769098-report-conor-mcgregor-was-causing-trouble-in-hotel-room-after-jail-release?share=email
Image
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1206 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:32 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Came away very impressed with Renato Moicano


Beat Stephens who is considered a contender; head to head with Ortega right up until he took an ill advised shot and got choked (it was 1 to 1 in the third and his second round is probably the most effective against Ortega of any opponent); and then he works a clear win over Kattar who in my eyes remains a very promising prospect. Dude is a top 10 145'er right now and needs real tests moving forward.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,014
And1: 3,446
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1207 » by waya » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Imo Holloway gets rag dolled by Khabib. When was the last time he fought an above average grappler?

It may have been a few years ago, but getting dominated by Conor (who tore his acl) on the ground doesn't give me much hope for his chances against Khabib.
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1208 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 pm

waya wrote:Imo Holloway gets rag dolled by Khabib. When was the last time he fought an above average grappler?

It may have been a few years ago, but getting dominated by Conor (who tore his acl) on the ground doesn't give me much hope for his chances against Khabib.


That was over 4 years ago and he's been taken down 1/37 times since. He lost two bouts grappling and from there really sure'd up his takedown defense plus became more aware of spacing risks (he used to throw flying ish that'd get him grabbed up). Luke Thomas has a really good breakdown of his takedown D, it's really underrated.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,014
And1: 3,446
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1209 » by waya » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm

j4remi wrote:
waya wrote:Imo Holloway gets rag dolled by Khabib. When was the last time he fought an above average grappler?

It may have been a few years ago, but getting dominated by Conor (who tore his acl) on the ground doesn't give me much hope for his chances against Khabib.


That was over 4 years ago and he's been taken down 1/37 times since. He lost two bouts grappling and from there really sure'd up his takedown defense plus became more aware of spacing risks (he used to throw flying ish that'd get him grabbed up). Luke Thomas has a really good breakdown of his takedown D, it's really underrated.

True, but how many of those opponents can we say are exceptional grapplers? Aldo, Stephens, Cub, Pettis, etc are all primarily strikers. Not to mention they're all smaller than Khabib. And a lot of people brought up Michael Johnson/Edson/Iaquinta's takedown defense but all that seems to get thrown out the window against Khabib. Only guy that that neutralized him was a juiced up Tibau, but that was over 5 years ago.

I feel like the guys Khabib could have similar trouble (difficulty taking them down) against are Lee and Gaethe.
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1210 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:58 pm

waya wrote:True, but how many of those opponents can we say are exceptional grapplers? Aldo, Stephens, Cub, Pettis, etc are all primarily strikers. Not to mention they're all smaller than Khabib. And a lot of people brought up Michael Johnson/Edson/Iaquinta's takedown defense but all that seems to get thrown out the window against Khabib. Only guy that that neutralized him was a juiced up Tibau, but that was over 5 years ago.

I feel like the guys Khabib could have similar trouble (difficulty taking them down) against are Lee and Gaethe.


Cub and Aldo are both excellent grapplers, especially Aldo, but they're predominantly strikers for sure. The thing you look for though is the takedown attempts (of which we could go over nearly 40) and then the techniques Max uses to defend them. Max is GREAT defending against takedowns when backed up against the cage, Khabib's most effective takedown offense is when opponents are against the cage. Johnson and Barboza are both solid defensive wrestlers but no where near "great" at takedown defense for different reasons.

Now Iaquinta is really good defensive wrestler but he also stuffed 9 out of 15 takedown attempts. So we're best off looking at how Al defended the takedowns and see if Max can match it. Al's defense started with a low stance and a jab to keep space. Khabib was shooting from distance thanks to the jab and Al's low stance allowed him to drop and block the majority of the attempts. Max is better at controlling space, has a better jab and punishes distance takedowns with front chokes (Tony and Ortega do as well). That all bodes well for Max's style against Khabib because Khabib eschews technique to get his hands on guys and then lets his chain wrestling do the work. Now if Khabib takes Max down, he'll probably be able to pass and do damage but getting there isn't a sure thing by a longshot.
(Sidenote: For the closest comparison to Conor's TDD, which tends to be pop back up as soon as his back hits the mat; I'd point to Khabib vs Trujillo but Conor would have to tweak his game a bit to match it).

The other thing is Khabib hasn't fought anyone with truly good footwork. Barboza flashes good footwork until pressured and then habitually does straight line backward movement but when he did use lateral movement Khabib would whiff. Think Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey, Holm is not a great defensive wrestler (see Miesha Tate shooting from outside into an immediate backtake one fight after). But Rousey's footwork wasn't good and Holm kept a disciplined gameplan. Holm damaged and slid out the side while Rousey bull-rushed. Every one of the elite lightweights has to be looking at Khabib plodding forward, chin up high and then shooting from outside like Carla Esparza looking to snatch even a foot or ankle....and they're all thinking, if I use my footwork I can make him whiff. That's the big test left for Khabib and when you combine Max having superior footwork to his ability to defend takedowns along the cage; we'll assume that he can be taken down but I'd also guess that Max can delay these takedowns and do damage beforehand. If Max took it to deep water, I think he can win that fight.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,014
And1: 3,446
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1211 » by waya » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:26 am

j4remi wrote:
waya wrote:True, but how many of those opponents can we say are exceptional grapplers? Aldo, Stephens, Cub, Pettis, etc are all primarily strikers. Not to mention they're all smaller than Khabib. And a lot of people brought up Michael Johnson/Edson/Iaquinta's takedown defense but all that seems to get thrown out the window against Khabib. Only guy that that neutralized him was a juiced up Tibau, but that was over 5 years ago.

I feel like the guys Khabib could have similar trouble (difficulty taking them down) against are Lee and Gaethe.


Cub and Aldo are both excellent grapplers, especially Aldo, but they're predominantly strikers for sure. The thing you look for though is the takedown attempts (of which we could go over nearly 40) and then the techniques Max uses to defend them. Max is GREAT defending against takedowns when backed up against the cage, Khabib's most effective takedown offense is when opponents are against the cage. Johnson and Barboza are both solid defensive wrestlers but no where near "great" at takedown defense for different reasons.

Now Iaquinta is really good defensive wrestler but he also stuffed 9 out of 15 takedown attempts. So we're best off looking at how Al defended the takedowns and see if Max can match it. Al's defense started with a low stance and a jab to keep space. Khabib was shooting from distance thanks to the jab and Al's low stance allowed him to drop and block the majority of the attempts. Max is better at controlling space, has a better jab and punishes distance takedowns with front chokes (Tony and Ortega do as well). That all bodes well for Max's style against Khabib because Khabib eschews technique to get his hands on guys and then lets his chain wrestling do the work. Now if Khabib takes Max down, he'll probably be able to pass and do damage but getting there isn't a sure thing by a longshot.
(Sidenote: For the closest comparison to Conor's TDD, which tends to be pop back up as soon as his back hits the mat; I'd point to Khabib vs Trujillo but Conor would have to tweak his game a bit to match it).

The other thing is Khabib hasn't fought anyone with truly good footwork. Barboza flashes good footwork until pressured and then habitually does straight line backward movement but when he did use lateral movement Khabib would whiff. Think Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey, Holm is not a great defensive wrestler (see Miesha Tate shooting from outside into an immediate backtake one fight after). But Rousey's footwork wasn't good and Holm kept a disciplined gameplan. Holm damaged and slid out the side while Rousey bull-rushed. Every one of the elite lightweights has to be looking at Khabib plodding forward, chin up high and then shooting from outside like Carla Esparza looking to snatch even a foot or ankle....and they're all thinking, if I use my footwork I can make him whiff. That's the big test left for Khabib and when you combine Max having superior footwork to his ability to defend takedowns along the cage; we'll assume that he can be taken down but I'd also guess that Max can delay these takedowns and do damage beforehand. If Max took it to deep water, I think he can win that fight.


It's posts like this that make me appreciate reading your analysis in this thread. :bowdown:

I'm definitely guilty of looking at it too simplistically (and also me being a Khabib homer doesn't help). I'm gonna take your word for a lot of that stuff, as you know better than me. But my thing is this: if somebody stuffs 9 out of 10 of Khabib's takedowns, that 1 could likely still be enough to wear the guy out. His top control has been amazing his last 4-5 fights, and if he can get the guy down early on that changes the complexion of the rest of the fight. Although, i'm a wary of him in 5 round fights against guys with otherworldly cardio like Tony or even Max.

Honestly though, that fight probably won't happen for a while with Holloway defending against Ortega and Khabib likely only fighting one more time this year.

Not sure if you already discussed the upcoming LW matchups yet but what do you think of Edson/Lee and Gaethe/Poirer?
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1212 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm

waya wrote:
It's posts like this that make me appreciate reading your analysis in this thread. :bowdown:

I'm definitely guilty of looking at it too simplistically (and also me being a Khabib homer doesn't help). I'm gonna take your word for a lot of that stuff, as you know better than me. But my thing is this: if somebody stuffs 9 out of 10 of Khabib's takedowns, that 1 could likely still be enough to wear the guy out. His top control has been amazing his last 4-5 fights, and if he can get the guy down early on that changes the complexion of the rest of the fight. Although, i'm a wary of him in 5 round fights against guys with otherworldly cardio like Tony or even Max.

Honestly though, that fight probably won't happen for a while with Holloway defending against Ortega and Khabib likely only fighting one more time this year.

Not sure if you already discussed the upcoming LW matchups yet but what do you think of Edson/Lee and Gaethe/Poirer?


Respect fam for sure, always a pleasure chopping it up and yall give me a lot of ideas for where to take closer looks. You're 100% on the fact that Khabib is always one takedown away from a 10-8 round or submission. Max hasn't shown good resistance to guard passing and Khabib is incredible at it, so even if Max avoided takedowns for 4 minutes...he could lose a round being mounted for the final 30 seconds. For me it's a toss up but I'll tell you what, I expect the majority to roll with Khabib. I'm eyeing that match-up as a potential underdog bet personally. Ortega vs Max is definitely coming and Khabib has Tony and Conor who I'd assume are both ahead of Max...not to mention he's asking for GSP and coach Javier Mendez name-dropped Nate Diaz in an interview that made me think they've gameplanned on that potential fight as well.
Max needs to beat Ortega and solidify his place (again) to make the 155 leap for instant title contention. Max vs Ortega is one I really gotta sit down and think about because of how their skillsets clash. The guy who intercepts explosive movements through space vs the best guy at controlling space and shooting through it. The best grappler in the division vs the most elusive fighter in the division. I'm HYPE to watch their best fights back and look for more holes.

On Edson vs Lee; I'm hoping but not really expecting Edson to make adjustments based on the Khabib loss. That's the blueprint, pressure him backwards and catch him when he's trapped along the cage. Lee can do that and he should be smart enough not to stand and bang, where he could get chewed up. If he's eating leg kicks trying to catch them for an easy takedown, that could be problematic but otherwise his skillset is built to repeat the Khabib performance. Edson showed some good hands against Khabib but he doesn't trust his hands like he does his legs. He'd be a lot wiser to focus on his hands than give Lee a chance to catch kicks but it's just not his nature. He has the requisites to use lateral movement to stay away from the cage and avoid being cornered, but he just hasn't shown it with any kind of consistency. If he's boxing more and using side to side movement, he can score a KO but I'm doubtful.

Gaethje vs Poirier has two big questions. First, is Gaethje the next Alvarez or Will Brooks? He looked gangbusters against Michael Johnson but look at MJ's recent record...and Johnson hurt the guy. He looked good against Alvarez but technique and discipline beat his pressure. He'll have to show that he can beat the guys who don't give in when he pressures; but there aren't many of those guys anyway and I expect nothing but exciting fights regardless of if he ever hits true contender level. Poirier's big question mark is mental. When Poirier's in his bag, he is great and the dude has improved all facets of his game consistently. But against Alvarez, things were swinging to Eddie before the illegal knee. Gaethje may be able to keep that same pressure up but if Diamond doesn't give in, Poirier has more technical prowess than Eddie even. This oughtta be a FOTY contender, I'm hoping Poirier has put it all together finally but I'm leaning toward Gaethje until I see their face offs and interviews to try and get my junior psychoanalyst on.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,014
And1: 3,446
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1213 » by waya » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 am

j4remi wrote:
waya wrote:
It's posts like this that make me appreciate reading your analysis in this thread. :bowdown:

I'm definitely guilty of looking at it too simplistically (and also me being a Khabib homer doesn't help). I'm gonna take your word for a lot of that stuff, as you know better than me. But my thing is this: if somebody stuffs 9 out of 10 of Khabib's takedowns, that 1 could likely still be enough to wear the guy out. His top control has been amazing his last 4-5 fights, and if he can get the guy down early on that changes the complexion of the rest of the fight. Although, i'm a wary of him in 5 round fights against guys with otherworldly cardio like Tony or even Max.

Honestly though, that fight probably won't happen for a while with Holloway defending against Ortega and Khabib likely only fighting one more time this year.

Not sure if you already discussed the upcoming LW matchups yet but what do you think of Edson/Lee and Gaethe/Poirer?


Respect fam for sure, always a pleasure chopping it up and yall give me a lot of ideas for where to take closer looks. You're 100% on the fact that Khabib is always one takedown away from a 10-8 round or submission. Max hasn't shown good resistance to guard passing and Khabib is incredible at it, so even if Max avoided takedowns for 4 minutes...he could lose a round being mounted for the final 30 seconds. For me it's a toss up but I'll tell you what, I expect the majority to roll with Khabib. I'm eyeing that match-up as a potential underdog bet personally. Ortega vs Max is definitely coming and Khabib has Tony and Conor who I'd assume are both ahead of Max...not to mention he's asking for GSP and coach Javier Mendez name-dropped Nate Diaz in an interview that made me think they've gameplanned on that potential fight as well.
Max needs to beat Ortega and solidify his place (again) to make the 155 leap for instant title contention. Max vs Ortega is one I really gotta sit down and think about because of how their skillsets clash. The guy who intercepts explosive movements through space vs the best guy at controlling space and shooting through it. The best grappler in the division vs the most elusive fighter in the division. I'm HYPE to watch their best fights back and look for more holes.

On Edson vs Lee; I'm hoping but not really expecting Edson to make adjustments based on the Khabib loss. That's the blueprint, pressure him backwards and catch him when he's trapped along the cage. Lee can do that and he should be smart enough not to stand and bang, where he could get chewed up. If he's eating leg kicks trying to catch them for an easy takedown, that could be problematic but otherwise his skillset is built to repeat the Khabib performance. Edson showed some good hands against Khabib but he doesn't trust his hands like he does his legs. He'd be a lot wiser to focus on his hands than give Lee a chance to catch kicks but it's just not his nature. He has the requisites to use lateral movement to stay away from the cage and avoid being cornered, but he just hasn't shown it with any kind of consistency. If he's boxing more and using side to side movement, he can score a KO but I'm doubtful.

Gaethje vs Poirier has two big questions. First, is Gaethje the next Alvarez or Will Brooks? He looked gangbusters against Michael Johnson but look at MJ's recent record...and Johnson hurt the guy. He looked good against Alvarez but technique and discipline beat his pressure. He'll have to show that he can beat the guys who don't give in when he pressures; but there aren't many of those guys anyway and I expect nothing but exciting fights regardless of if he ever hits true contender level. Poirier's big question mark is mental. When Poirier's in his bag, he is great and the dude has improved all facets of his game consistently. But against Alvarez, things were swinging to Eddie before the illegal knee. Gaethje may be able to keep that same pressure up but if Diamond doesn't give in, Poirier has more technical prowess than Eddie even. This oughtta be a FOTY contender, I'm hoping Poirier has put it all together finally but I'm leaning toward Gaethje until I see their face offs and interviews to try and get my junior psychoanalyst on.


Interesting. I'm with you on the Poirier/Gaethje fight. Seems like Poirier has got it all technically but can't seem to put it entirely together. I can see him working Justin early on, especially if Justin is gonna try and employ the same "zombie pressure/take punishment to inflict punishment" strategy. And i haven't seen much of Gaethje's pre-UFC fights, but I'd like to see this All-American wrestling pedigree people keep mentioning.

What's intrigues me the most about these fights is that they're 5 rounders and none of these dudes have fought outside of 3 (besides one time for Poirer 6 years ago). I'm eager to see how Kevin Lee looks in the championship rounds, hopefully Edson can take him there. And Gaethje's leg kicks could be key in a longer fight, no?

LW is crazy though, I wish we could see the UFC's full rankings for the division (I know they're seen as arbitrary by most, but it seems like a lot of fighters still put stock into them).
bringbackhoffa
Head Coach
Posts: 6,393
And1: 1,300
Joined: Apr 18, 2007
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1214 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 am

Megan Anderson vs Holly holm at 145 announced for UFC 225.

Really like this booking, hoping Anderson can pull off this tough match up. Would be nice to see a legit ,145er give cyborg a test, though Holly did give it a nice go her first time around.

Sent from The Process Network using RealGM mobile app
Ferrell (30), Curry (18)
Roberson (30)
Wiggins (33), Oubre (26), Prince (10)
Parker (26), Siakam (20)
Poeltl (31), Dirk (16)

DNP: Carter, Johnson, Mozgov, grant, Noguiera
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 25,003
And1: 10,644
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1215 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 am

Holy Crap!

What a war

I'm glad Poirier won because his striking was so accurate and I don't really like to see guys win because their chin outlasts your fist.

Great fight, almost too brutal
..................................................................STABLE
Image
..................................................................GENIUS
HEZI
RealGM
Posts: 25,065
And1: 7,504
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
 

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1216 » by HEZI » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 am

What a fight

Overall the card tonight was really good
DENVER NUGGETS

PG: John Wall / Reggie Jackson / Devin Harris
SG: Demar Derozan / Joe Harris / Sindarius Thornwell / G.Hen
SF: Andre Iguodala / Darius Miller / Josh Huestis
PF: Trevor Booker / Ryan Anderson
C: Brook Lopez / Tarik Black / Willie Reed
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,014
And1: 3,446
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1217 » by waya » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 am

Jesus, Gaethje is going to surpass Chuck Lidell as the living embodiment of MMA brain damage at this rate
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 32,513
And1: 9,123
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1218 » by j4remi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I implore yall to watch Gaethje's title run at WSOF, every fight was similar to that Poirier one. He comes forward, makes guys work nonstop and eats them whenever they aren't active. I'm happy Diamond didn't break here, those leg kicks were insane and I was worried when he instantly asked to ice the leg between the third and fourth. Dude did a great job.

Condit's grappling once again came back to bite him. Taken down, ate the kick when he reversed the positions and then took a bad shot into a guillotine.

Adesanya got a real test. Vettori showed the grappling hole that everyone figured would be there. Stylebender's take down defense is solid, but his ground game is questionable though I like that he constantly looks for an opening to get up (Conor-like). He's got work to do in a division where the top guys are all high level grapplers (seriously it's Whitaker, Rockhold, Romero, Gastelum, Weidman).

Waterson vs Casey was great in it's own right. If you needed any more illustration that Karate Hottie belongs in the 105 lbs. division that the UFC doesn't have, that was the one to watch. She was the faster and sharper striker but Casey wasn't deterred at all even by head kicks. The takedowns saved Waterson, champion mentality there. She found ways to eke out tough rounds...it just sucks she's not big enough for the elite in the division imo.
BAF Knicks
PG - Payton/Taylor/Goodwin
SG - Ntilikina/L Williams/Clavell
SF - MKG/Bogdanovich/Hezonja
PF - Saric/Bertans/Lydon
C - Gobert/Mahinimi/Zbo

Ex A. Kaba, Monte Morris, Hartenstein

Finally a Recaps Stash:
https://medium.com/@j4remi
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 25,003
And1: 10,644
Joined: Jul 12, 2009

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1219 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:54 pm

j4remi wrote:I implore yall to watch Gaethje's title run at WSOF, every fight was similar to that Poirier one. He comes forward, makes guys work nonstop and eats them whenever they aren't active. I'm happy Diamond didn't break here, those leg kicks were insane and I was worried when he instantly asked to ice the leg between the third and fourth. Dude did a great job.

Condit's grappling once again came back to bite him. Taken down, ate the kick when he reversed the positions and then took a bad shot into a guillotine.

Adesanya got a real test. Vettori showed the grappling hole that everyone figured would be there. Stylebender's take down defense is solid, but his ground game is questionable though I like that he constantly looks for an opening to get up (Conor-like). He's got work to do in a division where the top guys are all high level grapplers (seriously it's Whitaker, Rockhold, Romero, Gastelum, Weidman).

Waterson vs Casey was great in it's own right. If you needed any more illustration that Karate Hottie belongs in the 105 lbs. division that the UFC doesn't have, that was the one to watch. She was the faster and sharper striker but Casey wasn't deterred at all even by head kicks. The takedowns saved Waterson, champion mentality there. She found ways to eke out tough rounds...it just sucks she's not big enough for the elite in the division imo.


I'll say it again. Glad Poirier won. Hate seeing someone become champ because they can sustain brain damage in their twenties. That really should be the end of the road for Gaethje, because he's going to be a vegetable if he keeps fighting.

I was very impressed by Waterson. How a tiny girl like that beat someone so much bigger is a real testament to her will and strategy. That was an impressive feat. If there was a lighter division for her, she probably would start knocking them out, but are there even enough women at that weight to fill the card in a lighter weight class?
..................................................................STABLE
Image
..................................................................GENIUS
newyorker4ever
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,820
And1: 1,370
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 223 + Conor attacks van pg 53) 

Post#1220 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Holy Crap!

What a war

I'm glad Poirier won because his striking was so accurate and I don't really like to see guys win because their chin outlasts your fist.

Great fight, almost too brutal



I'd like to see Gaethje drop down to 145. The size difference between him and Porier was pretty noticeable last night as was his fight with E.Alvarez and the way he fights with taking so much damage will also help him at 145.

Return to New York Knicks