ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Re: Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally! 

Post#1821 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:This is what is so frustrating about Jones. He won again, but again there is a level of doubt that he did it clean. Lets roid up DC and Lesnar to the gills and see how that works out for him.

Mad respect to Cyborg but Nunes destroyed her. That power and speed is beyond even the borg. I don't blame Borg for fighting the using game plan. Its how she always fought and won. NOT this time. Smashing KO by the Lioness

All on the feet? Nunez didn't take her to the mat?

Nope. Its was like two buzz saws clashing
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,449

Post#1822 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 am

Jones finished Gus with rabbit punches to the back of the head? smfh
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#1823 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 am

Nunes jut let her hands go the overhand right is deady, 51 seconds holy shiet.

Though it was quick I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch, cyborg just got to do a better job keeping her hands up and maintain distance from nunes

I also wouldn't mind seeing valentina go up and rightfully get a win or over nunes as I believe she won the first two match ups.

And as an aside **** jon Jones

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#1824 » by Strick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Jones finished Gus with rabbit punches to the back of the head? smfh

He gets a lot of hate (deserves it as well), but the guy is plain and simple the greatest I've ever seen. Tonight is another example of a complete masterclass. Every time he faces someone again, knows their style and how to attack, etc.. he picks them apart.

I have nothing but respect for Gus. I was hoping for a more even fight especially since their first bout might have been my favorite fight ever, but the only offense Gus had tonight really was that one eye poke. He couldn't get into his punching range and Jones took advantage.

That being said even though I am a big Jones fan since he is from my hometown, I will never downplay his mistakes and am completely understanding of the criticisms. I even said watching the fight that it seemed pretty apparent that a couple of those punches were to the back of the head. Tough to call in the moment, but I hope Gus can come back and do well. I really enjoy him fighting. He is one tough SOB and a fun fighter to watch
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#1825 » by Strick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:23 am

Also Amanda Nunes is a monster. I was absolutely rattled after watching that. I always love watching her fight, but really had a hard time seeing her best Cyborg. Not only did she do that, she went straight at her and went straight through her. That series of punches was brutal. I have no idea what is in store for her next since idk if an immediate rematch makes sense since she KO'd Cyborg in 51 seconds or whatever it was officially. Hats off to Nunes, that was truly incredible. One of the wildest moments I can remember in MMA
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1826 » by GEOLINK » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 am

Nobody active right now on the roster can beat Jon Jones.

It's a shame he tainted his career with garbage but he's just naturally gifted. It's like A-Rod and Bonds taking roids when they were already at an all-time level.

I really don't get into the personal stuff and hatred like most fans do with athletes/celebrities when they do something wrong. Nothing they do affects me personally even if I'm a huge fan of theirs. I just don't get into psycho mode like some people do.

At the end of the day they're entertainers and that's about it for me.

Nunes is the certified WMMA GOAT. No questions about it.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1827 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Strick wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Jones finished Gus with rabbit punches to the back of the head? smfh

He gets a lot of hate (deserves it as well), but the guy is plain and simple the greatest I've ever seen. Tonight is another example of a complete masterclass. Every time he faces someone again, knows their style and how to attack, etc.. he picks them apart.

I have nothing but respect for Gus. I was hoping for a more even fight especially since their first bout might have been my favorite fight ever, but the only offense Gus had tonight really was that one eye poke. He couldn't get into his punching range and Jones took advantage.

That being said even though I am a big Jones fan since he is from my hometown, I will never downplay his mistakes and am completely understanding of the criticisms. I even said watching the fight that it seemed pretty apparent that a couple of those punches were to the back of the head. Tough to call in the moment, but I hope Gus can come back and do well. I really enjoy him fighting. He is one tough SOB and a fun fighter to watch

Is it really that tough to call a rabbit punch? If you don't call it when it happens, then what's the point of having the rule. I'm not trying to hate on Jones, but there's a lot to hate too.

How can you really tell how great he is when he's cheating all the time?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#1828 » by j4remi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Yall know I'm a fanatic for Kyoji Horiguchi. He was just giving up five inches of height and reach to an All American wrestler and Bellator 135 lbs champion (remember Guch is a natural 125'er who ran out of competition in his own weight class over there) Darrion Caldwell. On paper that's the worst style match up, plus a size issue on top of it.

My dawg Horiguchi tapped Caldwell out with a guillotine in the third round.

Next up, boxing rules exhibition between Mayweather and Nasukawa. It's bizarre, it's the pageantry of NYE MMA events in Japan and if you've never checked these joints out; this is a cool intro bout.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1829 » by GEOLINK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:44 pm

What a joke that Floyd "fight" was.

Japan made its young star look horrible for what?
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,307

Post#1830 » by Jellybeans » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:59 pm

GEOLINK wrote:What a joke that Floyd "fight" was.

It looked like that so called young start havent trained in boxing in his life :D
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#1831 » by kane2021 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Nunes is awesome. That’s the best word for her. She’s become one of my favorite athletes in all of sports. Not only is she top of her class. But she’s easy to root for. I was celebrating with her. Just an awesome individual all around.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,892

Post#1832 » by Guano » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Is not japan notorious for putting on freak show performances?

also if anyone has time to kill this is a great series - https://www.sbnation.com/a/mma-history
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1833 » by j4remi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 pm

kane2021 wrote:Nunes is awesome. That’s the best word for her. She’s become one of my favorite athletes in all of sports. Not only is she top of her class. But she’s easy to root for. I was celebrating with her. Just an awesome individual all around.

I think she's cemented herself the GOAT WMMA fighter by a wide margin. If you did a tops all time; the handful of UFC champions would all get in the conversation and Nunes has fought pretty much all of them (Holm is left I believe and probably the most intriguing match up left that would stand and strike). I saw some crazy stat where she's fought former champs Tate, Rousey, Cyborg and GDR; finished all of them in the first round and been hit less than 30 times in all four fights combined. Now she's the first two division champion of the women to boot and one of three to hold two belts simultaneously.

And I say that being a Nunes hater. I loved Tate and hated to see her get washed, I thought Shevchenko won their fights and I assumed Cyborg would bully her...I just can't even argue any more, Nunes is the truth. It's frustrating that the UFC hasn't done any work to market her too because she's got the legitimate KO power to be sold to the fans.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1834 » by j4remi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm

As soon as they changed the rules from "modified MMA" to straight up boxing, it was a wrap. They got a lot of heads to tune in though, I'm having convos and teaching people who Nasukawa and Horiguchi are which is pretty cool from my perspective. They're two of the most entertaining fighters in combat sports, just not boxers at all and they both fight naturally at 125 which never got love stateside and might not even exist in the UFC by the end of 2019.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#1835 » by kane2021 » Tue Jan 1, 2019 2:28 am

j4remi wrote:
kane2021 wrote:Nunes is awesome. That’s the best word for her. She’s become one of my favorite athletes in all of sports. Not only is she top of her class. But she’s easy to root for. I was celebrating with her. Just an awesome individual all around.

I think she's cemented herself the GOAT WMMA fighter by a wide margin. If you did a tops all time; the handful of UFC champions would all get in the conversation and Nunes has fought pretty much all of them (Holm is left I believe and probably the most intriguing match up left that would stand and strike). I saw some crazy stat where she's fought former champs Tate, Rousey, Cyborg and GDR; finished all of them in the first round and been hit less than 30 times in all four fights combined. Now she's the first two division champion of the women to boot and one of three to hold two belts simultaneously.

And I say that being a Nunes hater. I loved Tate and hated to see her get washed, I thought Shevchenko won their fights and I assumed Cyborg would bully her...I just can't even argue any more, Nunes is the truth. It's frustrating that the UFC hasn't done any work to market her too because she's got the legitimate KO power to be sold to the fans.

Why did you hate on her? I totally understand. I hated on Jordan. That will never change. I hated on Kobe and Floyd. That did change. Those guys won me over. Mostly because it was nothing personal. (Unlike Jordan). But I came to a point where their talent wasn’t something I could hate on and be real anymore. I ended becoming a fan. For example. Kobe and Floyd was so good I couldn’t deny the greatness I was witnessing anymore. So I gave up and enjoyed it. My moment with Floyd was against sugar Shane. I wanted Floyd to lose in every fight until he got seriously tagged in that fight. After that I gave up.

For me it’s about witnessing greatness. I even stood up for and applauded Reggie miller when he retired. Who I still would like to punch in the face. But it’s not often you see greatness in your life. So I’ve softened. A little. Lol. I’m genuinely curious why you hated on her. It’s probably a great story. I’m not a ufc fan anymore personally because I think it’s gotten too corny. But this woman is a top notch competitor with skill who plows them down. For me personally I find it incredibly entertaining and touching. I was like bump it mami. Let’s go get some soft and wet. But she even represented her lady. Absolutely unbelievable. I’m tuning into her next fight. She’s won me over. The ufc has something special.

I’ve lost respect for the ufc but we don’t need to get into that. This woman right here checks all the boxes and can draw fans from a wide range of perspectives, feelings, nationalities, orientations,.... it’s really unbelievable. What a woman. I’m genuinely curious why you hated on her, and I ask with a smile. Because I’ve been there and that breaking moment is special.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1836 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 1, 2019 4:50 am

GEOLINK wrote:Nobody active right now on the roster can beat Jon Jones.

]t's a shame he tainted his career with garbage but he's just naturally gifted. It's like A-Rod and Bonds taking roids when they were already at an all-time level.

I really don't get into the personal stuff and hatred like most fans do with athletes/celebrities when they do something wrong. Nothing they do affects me personally even if I'm a huge fan of theirs. I just don't get into psycho mode like some people do.

Who really knows? He cheats all the time. :lol:

Let him and Lesner roid up and tear each other up to death.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1837 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 1, 2019 7:58 am

How about Ryan Hall? No one wants to fight him. :lol:

The guy is such a class act.

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1838 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 1, 2019 1:58 pm

kane2021 wrote:Why did you hate on her? I totally understand. I hated on Jordan. That will never change. I hated on Kobe and Floyd. That did change. Those guys won me over. Mostly because it was nothing personal. (Unlike Jordan). But I came to a point where their talent wasn’t something I could hate on and be real anymore. I ended becoming a fan. For example. Kobe and Floyd was so good I couldn’t deny the greatness I was witnessing anymore. So I gave up and enjoyed it. My moment with Floyd was against sugar Shane. I wanted Floyd to lose in every fight until he got seriously tagged in that fight. After that I gave up.

For me it’s about witnessing greatness. I even stood up for and applauded Reggie miller when he retired. Who I still would like to punch in the face. But it’s not often you see greatness in your life. So I’ve softened. A little. Lol. I’m genuinely curious why you hated on her. It’s probably a great story. I’m not a ufc fan anymore personally because I think it’s gotten too corny. But this woman is a top notch competitor with skill who plows them down. For me personally I find it incredibly entertaining and touching. I was like bump it mami. Let’s go get some soft and wet. But she even represented her lady. Absolutely unbelievable. I’m tuning into her next fight. She’s won me over. The ufc has something special.

I’ve lost respect for the ufc but we don’t need to get into that. This woman right here checks all the boxes and can draw fans from a wide range of perspectives, feelings, nationalities, orientations,.... it’s really unbelievable. What a woman. I’m genuinely curious why you hated on her, and I ask with a smile. Because I’ve been there and that breaking moment is special.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I bolded that one bit because that's 100% where I got right at the Cyborg win (crazy late). But before that, I definitely have to cop to being a hater and it starts with a bad first impression then it gets personal because she kept beating my favorite girls :lol:.

First time I saw Nunes fight was against Zingano in a classic. Nunes came in with some hype, dropped Zingano early but gassed and got bullied in a way that put really clear doubts in my head. I didn't trust her cardio and then I also didn't trust her against a grappler that could weather the punching power. The cardio issue showed up again a couple of fights later against Shevchenko (razor thin decision win for Nunes) and then her only grappling threats were terrible strikers that she could KO fast (Tate and Rousey). So I kept the rationale that she hadn't proven her cardio and would eventually get into a grappling fight where her cardio fails her.

2 mistakes there. One, she became a smarter fighter at conserving her energy and just improved her cardio overall. She had enough in the tank to go five rounds with Shevchenko in the rematch where she gassed in 2 during the first fight imo. Then on the grappler tip; I was taking away points for the fact that Nunes dropped grapplers that faced her so quickly because I assumed someone with a chin would take the strikes and grab her...WAY off base. You might already have thought it when I typed that out; but Nunes didn't just starch Rousey and Tate. She's knocked out great strikers and dropped the toughest chins in the division too. So it's not a matter of some grappler just weathering a storm any more; the storm's not stopping until the bell. I think I missed that because I'm a huge Shevchenko and Tate fan. I still think Shevchenko deserved at least one of the two fights with Nunes (first one), but frustration with the decision made me sleep on the fact that nobody else has even gotten comfortable fighting Valentina while Nunes now has two decision wins over the woman. Then Tate, after her big journey to win the belt against the odds, was such a feel good story that Nunes obliterated. It was Jordan personal for a while off that one.

Anyway, that's a lot to say this though; the Nunes you see today is someone who has been developing and improving since the first fight I saw her in the octagon. She was Kevin Knox with all the tools to be great but a questionable motor and needing time to get the comfort/IQ that comes with reps. I hung on to the early version of Nunes and completely slept on how much she was improving the whole time and it wasn't until Amanda crushed the GOAT female fighter that I finally stepped back and could really appreciate that progression.

Not only that either; we got to see her personal growth too. She came out of her shell more and more; she's speaking English more comfortably which is great for promotion stateside; and seeing her more often really puts her character into a good light. She looks like a damned BULLY in that octagon but outside of the cage, that energy is obviously enthusiasm and she's also definitely been comfortable highlighting her relationship and how important it's been with her own growth. She seems really admirable and now I'm just pissed the UFC failed to market her sooner.

Also, co-sign losing respect for the UFC. 2018 was especially bad for them imo and I'm hoping some of the other promotions start to become viable alternatives so that fighters have better options. Amanda Nunes and fighters like her, that we get to take the ride with from early on and watch grow, they're the reason this sport is what it is. I hate that the UFC seems to have lost sight in that.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1839 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 1, 2019 2:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:How about Ryan Hall? No one wants to fight him. :lol:

The guy is such a class act.

It's annoying as hell that no one will even get in there with him. It makes sense though. He's THAT good. Definitely seems like a truly high character person too, this clip is some legit patience to not throw a punch.

Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1840 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jan 1, 2019 4:00 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Nobody active right now on the roster can beat Jon Jones.

]t's a shame he tainted his career with garbage but he's just naturally gifted. It's like A-Rod and Bonds taking roids when they were already at an all-time level.

Who really knows? He cheats all the time. :lol:

Let him and Lesner roid up and tear each other up to death.

He can cheat all he wants but the skill is still there.

That's something steroids doesn't give you. It's not like he's out there out muscling people like Brock was.

Return to New York Knicks