ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#461 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 pm

spree8 wrote:I pray Jones loses, but he never does and probably never will at this weight. He's got too much of a reach advantage... the guy has a bigger reach than the 7+ foot Big Show from WWF... that's ridiculous, especially against guys that are usually around 5'11" - 6'2" tops.

The only way I see Jones losing is against someone like Gus who was able to come close to that reach, or Rumble (but that one ain't happening any more).. or at heavyweight against the bigger 220+ guys... not guys like Cain who he'd still have a length/size advantage over, but against guys like Overeem.

I'd be very interested in seeing Jones fight Lesner.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#462 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
spree8 wrote:I pray Jones loses, but he never does and probably never will at this weight. He's got too much of a reach advantage... the guy has a bigger reach than the 7+ foot Big Show from WWF... that's ridiculous, especially against guys that are usually around 5'11" - 6'2" tops.

The only way I see Jones losing is against someone like Gus who was able to come close to that reach, or Rumble (but that one ain't happening any more).. or at heavyweight against the bigger 220+ guys... not guys like Cain who he'd still have a length/size advantage over, but against guys like Overeem.

I can see it right now, Lesnar attempts to shoot and takedown Jones, catches a knee to the dome, lights out!
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#463 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:57 pm

HEZI wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I can see it right now, Lesnar attempts to shoot and takedown Jones, catches a knee to the dome, lights out!

lol, I can see Lesner taking Jones to the ground, laying on him and bashing his face in with those huge fists and massive elbows.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#464 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

lol, I can see Lesner taking Jones to the ground, laying on him and bashing his face in with those huge fists and massive elbows.

Good luck to him trying to get Jones on the ground
DENVER NUGGETS
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,709

Post#465 » by spree8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Yea that'd be huge... really huge. I have no idea how that'd play out... could end up like Reem vs Brock, or it could end up like Brock vs Mir II.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#466 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Do u think the reason Jon Jones not participating in the open workouts is because he is trying to hide some sort of injury?

sent using the big baller brand phone
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HEZI
RealGM

Post#467 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Do u think the reason Jon Jones not participating in the open workouts is because he is trying to hide some sort of injury?

No way! If you listen to his interview he sounds super confident, not like someone who is wounded and might have some doubts. I think he has some new techniques that he's trying to hide. This guy is all about evolving as a fighter and he likely developed some new skills that he's not ready to show the world yet.
DENVER NUGGETS
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: RE: Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#468 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:57 pm

HEZI wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:Do u think the reason Jon Jones not participating in the open workouts is because he is trying to hide some sort of injury?

No way! If you listen to his interview he sounds super confident, not like someone who is wounded and might have some doubts. I think he has some new techniques that he's trying to hide. This guy is all about evolving as a fighter and he likely developed some new skills that he's not ready to show the world yet.

U don't have to show any special technique during a workout..

Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#469 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 pm

HEZI wrote:

I beg to differ. Jones got up and walked out of an interview of him and DC out of frustration because DC broke him mentally. And at the recent stare down, DC stared through Jones's soul and Jon looked away. DC's got the mental edge here. He's been fighting and winning while Jones has had one very meh fight over 4 (?) years.

People tend to forget that DC not only beat Alexander Gustafson but he freaking picked him up by his leg and flipped him to the ground. And we all know the reach that Gus has over DC.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#470 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:55 am

I'm watching the replay of the Gus v. JJ fight. Gus won the first 3 rounds.
HEZI
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#471 » by HEZI » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:36 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:
HEZI wrote:

U don't have to show any special technique during a workout..

It all depends on his workout
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#472 » by HEZI » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:41 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HEZI wrote:

I beg to differ. Jones got up and walked out of an interview of him and DC out of frustration because DC broke him mentally. And at the recent stare down, DC stared through Jones's soul and Jon looked away. DC's got the mental edge here. He's been fighting and winning while Jones has had one very meh fight over 4 (?) years.

People tend to forget that DC not only beat Alexander Gustafson but he freaking picked him up by his leg and flipped him to the ground. And we all know the reach that Gus has over DC.

DC looks like the mentally weak one to me, just going off their interviews.

4 years? Cmon, its only been 2 years since Jones beat him and he body slammed him over and over and over again. Nobody ever tossed DC around like Jones did in their first fight.
DENVER NUGGETS
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,836

Post#473 » by Guano » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I'm watching the replay of the Gus v. JJ fight. Gus won the first 3 rounds.

Gus won that fight

edit: though to be fair Jones was on a coke bender and eating too much popeyes
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#474 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 am

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I'm watching the replay of the Gus v. JJ fight. Gus won the first 3 rounds.

Gus won that fight

Yep. What was really weird was that one judge scored the fight 49-46 for Jones. That judge must've been doing blow with Jon the night before. :lol:
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,836

Post#475 » by Guano » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:13 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:

Gus won that fight

Yep. What was really weird was that one judge scored the fight 49-46 for Jones. That judge must've been doing blow with Jon the night before. :lol:

whats crazy about that fight was it was like a real life video game fight, like street fighter. jones was getting peppered then he desperately started mashing the b button to throw spinning elbows and it changed the whole fight.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#476 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:
Gus won that fight

whats crazy about that fight was it was like a real life video game fight, like street fighter. jones was getting peppered then he desperately started mashing the b button to throw spinning elbows and it changed the whole fight.

Those elbows are devastating

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#477 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:54 am

j4remi wrote:Here's the full breakdown for 214 fam, appreciate clicks and reads. I put in some extra tactics talk on the main events, hopefully to provoke some real discussion on how people see things play out because the style match-ups are really interesting up and down this card!

https://fteswl.com/2017/07/27/ufc-214-preview-one-card-to-rule-them-all/

Bonus piece on my visit to the Barclays for the MayMac tour and how the atmosphere opened my mind up a little to how fun this event can be: https://fteswl.com/2017/07/20/the-maymac-world-tour-brooklyn-ny-press-conference/

Really enjoyed reading your article and listening to your podcast. I appreciate the meatiness of your previews. Thanks for the content, keep up the good work.

(your podcast image had a official looking "SUNDAY JULY 30" date for the event. Made me check ufc.com to double check)
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
TheAttckRack
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#478 » by TheAttckRack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 am

TOTALLY spaced that this was on! TOTALLY stoked to be reminded! I get The Hate - he's done some real nasty ****! - but I do love me some Bones. I don't ask them to be saints - and dude needs To Repent, no question! - but I just have always loved his ass kicking ability. Dude's just good at fighting. And he's mean. But, if Cormier ever had a shot at beating Bones, though, this is it. Jon needs to reach down and bring it for this. I expect eyes to be poked.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#479 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:35 am

DC discusses what happened at Cormier v. Jones 1 and what adjustments he needs to make tonight.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#480 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:36 pm

TheAttckRack wrote:TOTALLY spaced that this was on! TOTALLY stoked to be reminded! I get The Hate - he's done some real nasty ****! - but I do love me some Bones. I don't ask them to be saints - and dude needs To Repent, no question! - but I just have always loved his ass kicking ability. Dude's just good at fighting. And he's mean. But, if Cormier ever had a shot at beating Bones, though, this is it. Jon needs to reach down and bring it for this. I expect eyes to be poked.

Herb Dean, who refereed the first fight, was supposed to ref this fight too but DC's camp petitioned for a ref change because they said that Dean let Jones hold DC up against the fence too long. So now Big Johnny Mac is doing it.

Did Jones poke DC in the last one?

Return to New York Knicks