ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 / 2018 Season FA/Trade Wishing Well

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: 2017 FA/Trade Wishing Well - 5 Card Stud Edition 

Post#41 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 7:49 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:Man , I'm falling asleep at work so I might be speaking nonsense but CLee for Mario is a no brainer for Orlando. If he was on a team like San Antonio and wasn't getting playing time I would say ok take a shot at him. Hezonia is on the lowly magic and isn't getting burn. A team who has been doing nothing but stacking youth and crossing their fingers.
I would sooner talk to the bucks and try to get their pick unprotected for both Lee and KOQ.
Or Houston or OKC or any team that needs a guy to park at the permitter and knock down 3s from a penetrating PG kick out pass.

If you're telling me we are taking a chance with a guy in a situation like Kevin Looney who is playing behind 2 allstars, then you have my attention.
Not a guy who was never known for his D and is racking up DNPs on a lottery team in his 2nd year

I wouldn't look into Mario's DNP's too much. That team has been switching their lineups from the beginning and have had defensive issues from day one (like you said, this is a reason why he's not playing). However, due to his lack of minutes, he has been unable to get into any rhythm at all offensively. When he actually got minutes last year, he played well on offense (and wasn't as big a defensive issue as people projected him to be)...at the very least, for a rookie.

He's 6'8 with a nice jumper (don't let the %s fool you) and is a good athlete. He's rough around the edges, but I really think he just needs minutes. The reason we'd do a CLee for Mario deal is because either a) there are no better deals available b) the FO believes that he can be a nice scorer off the bench (what I predicted) or c) we're really looking to simply cut salary. Ideally, we'd get a pick for Lee...but the odds of that happening are pretty slim, IMO.

I also see no reason why the Bucks would want Lee, considering they have Middleton coming back from injury (soon-ish). KOQ for the Bucks I can understand, but not Lee.

Also, Looney is a 4 with a limited skill set. I wouldn't trade Lee for him unless we were getting picks back (not that it's even possible because of the salaries).
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#42 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Feb 6, 2017 7:53 pm

sportscrazy wrote:Is there any chance that this off-season with how close Philadelphia is to New York, if the 76ers could land Dwyane Wade and a veteran point guard (Jrue Holiday?) that 'Melo would waive his NTC for the 76ers?

There's a chance...just not a good one. Hard to imagine Jrue leaving money on the table to leave where he's at currently....the new CBA is going to make it harder and harder for guys to walk on their current teams. There's zero chance Wade goes to a team like Philly....they would have to be a playoff team this season for him to even ponder it, and even then, I think that's wishful thinking. Despite Philly not being tiny, Melo is all about his big market....I doubt Philly satisfies that taste.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#43 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Feb 6, 2017 8:00 pm

shmeakone wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:Let's assume 'Melo doesn't waive his NTC, we draft one of the five point guards in this draft (Fultz, Ball, Smith, Fox and Ntilikina in that order) and the top 25 players on this list (http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/) either re-sign or sign with better situations besides Derrick Rose who is open to returning. What is your game-plan in the 2017 free agency?

Go after CP3, Lowry, Holiday... (in that order)

If all of them say no then:

Give Rose 3 years 60 million, if he doesn't take it... then goodbye.

Go after Ibaka, Milsap, Gallinari, Noel... depending what kind of money we have left and they're looking for.

Re-sign the following:
Ron Baker (2 years 4 million)
Brandon Jennings (2 years 12 million)
Justin Holiday (2 years 10 million)

Best case:

CP3/ Jennings/ Baker
Lee/ Holiday
Melo/ Thomas/ Kuzminskas
Willy/ O'Quinn
KP/ Noah

I'm still happy:

Lowry,Holiday
Lee
Melo
Willy
KP

Exactly how much do you think NY has to spend this offseason?
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#44 » by Blockwatcher » Mon Feb 6, 2017 8:12 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:Man , I'm falling asleep at work so I might be speaking nonsense but CLee for Mario is a no brainer for Orlando. If he was on a team like San Antonio and wasn't getting playing time I would say ok take a shot at him. Hezonia is on the lowly magic and isn't getting burn. A team who has been doing nothing but stacking youth and crossing their fingers.
I would sooner talk to the bucks and try to get their pick unprotected for both Lee and KOQ.
Or Houston or OKC or any team that needs a guy to park at the permitter and knock down 3s from a penetrating PG kick out pass.

If you're telling me we are taking a chance with a guy in a situation like Kevin Looney who is playing behind 2 allstars, then you have my attention.
Not a guy who was never known for his D and is racking up DNPs on a lottery team in his 2nd year

I wouldn't look into Mario's DNP's too much. That team has been switching their lineups from the beginning and have had defensive issues from day one (like you said, this is a reason why he's not playing). However, due to his lack of minutes, he has been unable to get into any rhythm at all offensively. When he actually got minutes last year, he played well on offense (and wasn't as big a defensive issue as people projected him to be)...at the very least, for a rookie.

He's 6'8 with a nice jumper (don't let the %s fool you) and is a good athlete. He's rough around the edges, but I really think he just needs minutes. The reason we'd do a CLee for Mario deal is because either a) there are no better deals available b) the FO believes that he can be a nice scorer off the bench (what I predicted) or c) we're really looking to simply cut salary. Ideally, we'd get a pick for Lee...but the odds of that happening are pretty slim, IMO.

I also see no reason why the Bucks would want Lee, considering they have Middleton coming back from injury (soon-ish). KOQ for the Bucks I can understand, but not Lee.

Also, Looney is a 4 with a limited skill set. I wouldn't trade Lee for him unless we were getting picks back (not that it's even possible because of the salaries).

I didn't specifically mean Looney, just used his situation as an example. (Rookie deal player, stuck behind an all star)

I said CLee+KOQ because i doubt they would give up a pick for only 1 , and I assumed we would have to take back monroes salary. (But they just made a move so who knows what they wanna give up)

I'm not totally against Mario but I think their are better options. What's Juan Hernangómez doing?

For the record (I didn't check contracts) I would do kevon Looney for justin holiday straight up
1 John 2 : 15-17
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#45 » by dakomish23 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 8:13 pm

Heat To Release Derrick Williams, Sign Okaro White To Two-Year Deal
FEB 6, 2017 11:41 AM

The Miami Heat will release Derrick Williams to sign Okaro White to a two-year deal.

White is averaging 4.1 points and 2.6 rebounds in 16.4 minutes over nine games with the Heat. White was previously playing for Sioux Falls Skyforce of the D-League.

Williams signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Heat in the offseason.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#46 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 6, 2017 9:19 pm

K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
I'm 100000% on board with that. I know Super Mario hasn't shown much since entering the league, but I still have hope he can at least be a shooter/scorer off the bench. I bet there will be a team that offers up a better package than that, though. :-? :(

Absolutely. Works on many levels

Risk/Reward
Euro style of play matches to KP/Willie/Kuz and Donic when we hit the jackpot 2 years from now :D
Get rid of CLee's contract
Get worse and raise value of pick this year

SIGN.ME.UP!

CLee's on a good contract tho...

True. On the other hand, why retain a solid if unspectacular vet on a lottery team?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#47 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 9:27 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Risk/Reward
Euro style of play matches to KP/Willie/Kuz and Donic when we hit the jackpot 2 years from now :D

SIGN.ME.UP!

True. On the other hand, why retain a solid if unspectacular vet on a lottery team?

This has always been my view on him. I said before the season I liked him, but he was not needed on a team that would be lucky to make the playoffs - he's the piece you add to a 2nd tier team to push you closer to the first. He's good, but he's of no use to us.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#48 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 6, 2017 9:34 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:CLee's on a good contract tho...

This has always been my view on him. I said before the season I liked him, but he was not needed on a team that would be lucky to make the playoffs - he's the piece you add to a 2nd tier team to push you closer to the first. He's good, but he's of no use to us.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to move him for an erratic player even making 12 million per for 5 years - say an Isiah special sort of move.

Then you'd get the inconsistent player with a longer deal. Under circumstances like that I'd keep him. But as a way to maybe take back a similar contract minus a year but add a young player retaining ceiling and/or pick? Then move him.

Knicks are in a zone where real GM (not RealGM) skills come into play, because they have to convert some assets, though limited, into young players/assets/picks, while working in a defined window, where I'm thinking the smart window would be looking ahead to the end of this year +3 more years.

I know fans are frustrated, have wanted a winner and are (rightfully) getting impatient with Phil. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure people have been message boarding about the Knicks and how they should "Do a 5 year rebuild" right, for going on 20 years.

We are at the crossroads of doing it right now, and in some ways, got off to a decent start, the blip this year notwithstanding.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,443

Post#49 » by KnicksGod » Mon Feb 6, 2017 9:55 pm

If we trade Melo and KP still struggles a lot through the rest of the season AND Guillermo keeps playing well through the season, would anybody trade KP for both of Boston's Nets picks? Got to be both. Likely 4 lottery picks this year and next, probably at least 2 in the top 3 ... plus Guillermo.

I went there, I'm a victim of short-term thinking too :( But it is an interesting hypothetical that will never happen (and maybe never should).
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#50 » by knickstape4ever » Mon Feb 6, 2017 10:11 pm

KnicksGod wrote:If we trade Melo and KP still struggles a lot through the rest of the season AND Guillermo keeps playing well through the season, would anybody trade KP for both of Boston's Nets picks? Got to be both. Likely 4 lottery picks this year and next, probably at least 2 in the top 3 ... plus Guillermo.

I went there, I'm a victim of short-term thinking too :( But it is an interesting hypothetical that will never happen (and maybe never should).

I'd definitely consider it after the lottery once we know where the 2017 pick falls. I love KP and think he is the future...but at the same time I preferred KAT and am worried about Porzingis' long term health due to injury history of players similar in size. Plus, this draft could be one of the deepest in recent memory. However, you know what would be even better...pairing Lonzo Ball with KP :D
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#51 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Feb 7, 2017 12:44 am

digitaldropoff wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:Let's assume 'Melo doesn't waive his NTC, we draft one of the five point guards in this draft (Fultz, Ball, Smith, Fox and Ntilikina in that order) and the top 25 players on this list (http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/) either re-sign or sign with better situations besides Derrick Rose who is open to returning. What is your game-plan in the 2017 free agency?

The first thing Id do is tell Derrick Rose that he is not welcome on my team unless he wants to get paid 8 mil and come off my bench. And even then I don't trust he could do it without pouting so Id probably choose to resign Brandon Jennings for the same amount. I feel like he's earned it more than Rose.

After that I hope the Knicks do what I hoped they did last summer, which was go after players who were just off rookie contracts or better yet under 26. Thats really the only players Im interested in for about the next 4 yrs.

The Knicks signed Courtney Lee and Joakim Noah to not exactly cheap deals....neither guy was under 26 or coming off a rookie deal.

What offseason did you watch last summer?

Read the bolded part of what I wrote. Itll shed some light
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,960

Post#52 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:55 pm

K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
I'm 100000% on board with that. I know Super Mario hasn't shown much since entering the league, but I still have hope he can at least be a shooter/scorer off the bench. I bet there will be a team that offers up a better package than that, though. :-? :(

Risk/Reward

SIGN.ME.UP!

we have some GREAT contracts on this team.

lee, o'quinn, and lance thomas are on really cheap, long deals. i'd reserve lance thomas judgment until next year. this has been a nightmare throwaway of a season for him. his upside is not high, but we've seen what he is capable of as a reserve forward. he'll be a market steal if he comes back healthy next season.

noah's deal is really the only one we can quibble about. i'm no phil fan, but he's done well with the money so far.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#53 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:16 pm

Chandler parsons + unprotected 1st + 2 second rounders for Rose. We need to take on bad contracts for picks, and there's a chance parsons gets healthy.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#54 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:29 pm

FirePjax wrote:Chandler parsons + unprotected 1st + 2 second rounders for Rose. We need to take on bad contracts for picks, and there's a chance parsons gets healthy.

You want to fire Phil and then do this monstrosity of a trade? Keep Phil then :lol:

Ugh and the bold is just..I don't even know where to begin with that
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by Blockwatcher » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:38 pm

EFF IT!

Hope we can move Shump and Thompson
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#56 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:39 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
FirePjax wrote:Chandler parsons + unprotected 1st + 2 second rounders for Rose. We need to take on bad contracts for picks, and there's a chance parsons gets healthy.

You want to fire Phil and then do this monstrosity of a trade? Keep Phil then :lol:

We can either take on bad contracts for picks or use our cap space to sign good players, but getting good players to sign here is easier said than done. Pjax hasn't been able to sign good players thus far, I have no confidence in this team being able to do so. The way the collective bargaining agreement is constructed, building through the draft is the only option.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#57 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:45 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Risk/Reward

SIGN.ME.UP!

lee, o'quinn, and lance thomas are on really cheap, long deals. i'd reserve lance thomas judgment until next year. this has been a nightmare throwaway of a season for him. his upside is not high, but we've seen what he is capable of as a reserve forward. he'll be a market steal if he comes back healthy next season.

noah's deal is really the only one we can quibble about. i'm no phil fan, but he's done well with the money so far.

LFT's contract would be good if he was a decent player. But he sucks. Is ass. Is horrible. Blows.

Other than that, the figures on the paper seem appealing for a theoretically decent NBA player.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by Blockwatcher » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:59 pm

EFF IT PART 2

Knicks get a pick from Boston
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#59 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:01 pm

FirePjax wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

We can either take on bad contracts for picks or use our cap space to sign good players, but getting good players to sign here is easier said than done. Pjax hasn't been able to sign good players thus far, I have no confidence in this team being able to do so. The way the collective bargaining agreement is constructed, building through the draft is the only option.

I'd rather let Rose rot and expire for flexibility purposes than take on Chandler Parsons near max-deal on the same surgery Amare had. Not getting anything back for Rose doesn't kill us. Getting a Chandler Parsons and having him play in only half the games he's here for and destroying his trade value could be devastating. Is that possibly really worth a mid round pick for you? He has lowkey the worst contract in the NBA right now. Worse than Noah's but, Memphis is playing well so it's been swept under the rug.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,265

Post#60 » by DOT » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:13 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
K-DOT wrote:CLee's on a good contract tho...

LFT's contract would be good if he was a decent player. But he sucks. Is ass. Is horrible. Blows.

Other than that, the figures on the paper seem appealing for a theoretically decent NBA player.

After this year, he has 2 years 15 million (3rd year team option) which is less than the MLE next year
It's a bad contract, but not franchise altering or horrible
And he's been injured all year, so that probably doesn't help
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks