ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 / 2018 Season FA/Trade Wishing Well

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,355

Re: 2017 FA/Trade Wishing Well - 5 Card Stud Edition 

Post#61 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:19 pm

K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
we have some GREAT contracts on this team.

lee, o'quinn, and lance thomas are on really cheap, long deals. i'd reserve lance thomas judgment until next year. this has been a nightmare throwaway of a season for him. his upside is not high, but we've seen what he is capable of as a reserve forward. he'll be a market steal if he comes back healthy next season.

noah's deal is really the only one we can quibble about. i'm no phil fan, but he's done well with the money so far.

LFT's contract would be good if he was a decent player. But he sucks. Is ass. Is horrible. Blows.

Other than that, the figures on the paper seem appealing for a theoretically decent NBA player.

After this year, he has 2 years 15 million (3rd year team option) which is less than the MLE next year
It's a bad contract, but not franchise altering or horrible
And he's been injured all year, so that probably doesn't help

It's not franchise altering, but every crappy player a team holds on to and occupies a roster spot is one less potentially decent player plus cash that could be used on a more deserving player down the line, even part of that player's contract, but the money is tied up.

And Lance sucked when he was healthy too.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#62 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
K-DOT wrote:CLee's on a good contract tho...

we have some GREAT contracts on this team.

lee, o'quinn, and lance thomas are on really cheap, long deals. i'd reserve lance thomas judgment until next year. this has been a nightmare throwaway of a season for him. his upside is not high, but we've seen what he is capable of as a reserve forward. he'll be a market steal if he comes back healthy next season.

noah's deal is really the only one we can quibble about. i'm no phil fan, but he's done well with the money so far.

LFT's contract would be good if he was a decent player. But he sucks. Is ass. Is horrible. Blows.

Other than that, the figures on the paper seem appealing for a theoretically decent NBA player.

he's been horrible this season. he's also been injured and playing inconsistent minutes amid some dysfunction. i'd rather reserve judgment until next season for him. he might as well just pack it in and recover.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#63 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

After this year, he has 2 years 15 million (3rd year team option) which is less than the MLE next year
It's a bad contract, but not franchise altering or horrible
And he's been injured all year, so that probably doesn't help

It's not franchise altering, but every crappy player a team holds on to and occupies a roster spot is one less potentially decent player plus cash that could be used on a more deserving player down the line, even part of that player's contract, but the money is tied up.

And Lance sucked when he was healthy too.

ah, okay. well, that's where we disagree. i can live with that.

i saw production on-par with a sub-MLE reserve out of lance, but if you don't then sure. it's wasted money.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#64 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:51 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
You want to fire Phil and then do this monstrosity of a trade? Keep Phil then :lol:

Ugh and the bold is just..I don't even know where to begin with that

We can either take on bad contracts for picks or use our cap space to sign good players, but getting good players to sign here is easier said than done. Pjax hasn't been able to sign good players thus far, I have no confidence in this team being able to do so. The way the collective bargaining agreement is constructed, building through the draft is the only option.

I'd rather let Rose rot and expire for flexibility purposes than take on Chandler Parsons near max-deal on the same surgery Amare had. Not getting anything back for Rose doesn't kill us. Getting a Chandler Parsons and having him play in only half the games he's here for and destroying his trade value could be devastating. Is that possibly really worth a mid round pick for you? He has lowkey the worst contract in the NBA right now. Worse than Noah's but, Memphis is playing well so it's been swept under the rug.

I should have specified that I don't want this years' first from them. I want an unprotected in the future, where there's a chance at getting a good pick. If connley or gasol gets hurt, which has happened before, a pick from Memphis could become valuable. As far as parsons, he may not be done yet. Stat had a few good years following the mircofracture surgery and parsons has had one thus far. I'm not saying it's a sure thing he can get healthy because it's obviously not a sure thing, but if he can get healthy he's got upside. Our best case scenario if we made that trade, would be that parsons gets healthy and plays well, we get a good first and hit on it, and maybe the second rounders amount to something also. Obviously there's risk in the deal, as in every other deal, but I think it's a risk worth taking.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#65 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 6:07 pm

FirePjax wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
We can either take on bad contracts for picks or use our cap space to sign good players, but getting good players to sign here is easier said than done. Pjax hasn't been able to sign good players thus far, I have no confidence in this team being able to do so. The way the collective bargaining agreement is constructed, building through the draft is the only option.

I'd rather let Rose rot and expire for flexibility purposes than take on Chandler Parsons near max-deal on the same surgery Amare had. Not getting anything back for Rose doesn't kill us. Getting a Chandler Parsons and having him play in only half the games he's here for and destroying his trade value could be devastating. Is that possibly really worth a mid round pick for you? He has lowkey the worst contract in the NBA right now. Worse than Noah's but, Memphis is playing well so it's been swept under the rug.

I should have specified that I don't want this years' first from them. I want an unprotected in the future, where there's a chance at getting a good pick. If connley or gasol gets hurt, which has happened before, a pick from Memphis could become valuable. As far as parsons, he may not be done yet. Stat had a few good years following the mircofracture surgery and parsons has had one thus far. I'm not saying it's a sure thing he can get healthy because it's obviously not a sure thing, but if he can get healthy he's got upside. Our best case scenario if we made that trade, would be that parsons gets healthy and plays well, we get a good first and hit on it, and maybe the second rounders amount to something also. Obviously there's risk in the deal, as in every other deal, but I think it's a risk worth taking.

Parsons is shooting 34 percent from the field this year and has played in only half of his teams games... It's a risk and a terrible one imo. He's also 28 and doesn't match up with KP's timeline all that well. Thing about the sixers situation was it was easy for them to clear cap space to be able to take on bad contracts and picks because they were a decent team when they blew it up so their long-term contracts were relatively valuable...We're currently a bad team with few good long-term contracts. Nobody is going to help us with Noah, LT has been flat out horrible, you're going to have to take back some salary in a Melo deal no matter what, and the rest of the guys make peanuts. Lee is probably the only long-term contract you could easily move for space and assets. You're essentially willingly putting yourself in cap hell just for a remote chance at a good pick and taking yourself out of reasonable range to sign a guy like Holiday back... The easier route would be letting Rose expire or taking back < 10 million dollar long-term contracts that can be easier moved in the future and trading KOQ/Kuz for a pick. This way you keep flexibility while also building up a decent future.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#66 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 10:59 pm

It seems one of the arguments constantly being made regarding hypothetical trades is that the players acquired must fit within KP's timeline. While I don't disagree, it would be hard to trade for such players. Should we be opposed to acquiring stop gaps that are on short contracts that wouldn't hurt KP's development? I'm all for getting younger, but it's also important to have some veterans on a team that can lead by example.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,049

Post#67 » by Reign23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 12:47 am

kyle for a late 2017 first, kuz for a future second.
keep melo, kp, willy, lee, noah (no choice), baker, plumlee

draft a PG or a SF with the lottery pick and sign a max-level PG or SF (depends on who you draft). both players HAVE to be good defenders.

fire horny and sign a defense first coach.

play melo at the 4 and KP at the 5.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#68 » by Blockwatcher » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:17 am

Mario hezonja is getting some garbage time minutes.
And not making much of them
1 John 2 : 15-17
Knicklyn718
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#69 » by Knicklyn718 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:18 am

Raptors have a logjam developing Delon Wright and Fred VanVleet. I would trade for delon with the quickness
ImageImage
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#70 » by Grover » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:08 pm

Picked immediately after Jerian Grant, Deion was more of a point guard with shooting deficiencies. His numbers look OK this year but the sample size is limited. I haven't seen him play this year and was wondering what you see in the evolution of his game?
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#71 » by KnickFan33 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:00 pm

Not sure if the idea has ever come up. But how about a trade for Melo where he winds up in Brooklyn? At least he doesn't have to leave NY if that were to happen. :lol:
david_james
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#72 » by david_james » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:22 pm

I really wish he would entertain the idea of Toronto, that being Melo of course. With the rumors of him wanting a ready made trip to the finals, the closest he'd come to getting there would be a deal like this or something with Boston that wouldn't involve any key players but I think this deal would be great for both sides. Would be the third option on that team and could slide right into being their stretch four, which is what he is designed for in this NBA and at the current stage in his career. A deal that sends Melo and Justin Holiday to Toronto for Ross, Patterson, Sullinger and LAC's 1st Round Pick would be perfect.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#73 » by digitaldropoff » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:35 pm

david_james wrote:I really wish he would entertain the idea of Toronto, that being Melo of course. With the rumors of him wanting a ready made trip to the finals, the closest he'd come to getting there would be a deal like this or something with Boston that wouldn't involve any key players but I think this deal would be great for both sides. Would be the third option on that team and could slide right into being their stretch four, which is what he is designed for in this NBA and at the current stage in his career. A deal that sends Melo and Justin Holiday to Toronto for Ross, Patterson, Sullinger and LAC's 1st Round Pick would be perfect.

If he's waiving his NTC for Toronto, he'd waive it for anyone, in which case, you could get a better package than some expirings and an underperforming wing with a garbage pick.

My money is still on Melo telling Phil to **** himself and that he's staying, and Phil has to go. Value isn't right for return deals, he loves NYC, and he has veto power on deals. I don't see how anyone is confident Melo is gone at the deadline.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#74 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:17 pm

if phil is smart just trade rose and brandon jennings get a first round pick or two and tank
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#75 » by digitaldropoff » Wed Feb 8, 2017 11:06 pm

JoeypopsNY wrote:if phil is smart just trade rose and brandon jennings get a first round pick or two and tank

What does this post even mean? Are you seriously suggesting Jackson can get a first round pick for either not great expiring PG's?

Thanks for that thought.
Bulls03
General Manager
And1: 1,825

Post#76 » by Bulls03 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:52 am

What would it take from the Bulls for you all to trade us Melo?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#77 » by Mecca » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:54 am

Bulls03 wrote:What would it take from the Bulls for you all to trade us Melo?

Hmmm Valentine + some picks and fillers to make salaries work
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Bulls03
General Manager
And1: 1,825

Post#78 » by Bulls03 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:55 am

Mecca wrote:

Rondo (expiring), Niko (expiring), Valentine, and a 1st for Melo and O'Quinn?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#79 » by Mecca » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:57 am

Bulls03 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

If we give up KOQ, no deal gets done with Chicago without 2 firsts. Valentine is a role player at best lets be honest.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#80 » by magnumt » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:31 am

Mecca wrote:
Bulls03 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

If we give up KOQ, no deal gets done with Chicago without 2 firsts. Valentine is a role player at best lets be honest.

I'd do Rondo+ Niko+ Valentine (wanted him in the draft)+ your highest 2017 1st+ 2019 1st for Melo + KOQ

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks