ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1241 » by MrOrange » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I tried to keep silent on all this trade option and as you know started to really follow NYK after KP was drafted. If we talk a swap between involving KP and Kyrie, then the Knicks will inevitably become hostage to Kyrie demanding as max as possible when the initial deal is over. Or lose him. and would have to look elsewhere. Yet again! At the same time NYK will have still have Noah on the books and very likely that the whole Melo trade may or may not succeed the way you would prefer. Then THJ contract. It is not enough to win anything against the best teams in the league and it is very far away from what one calls a rebuild. For me Kyrie is an extremely good player, more proven than KP at this stage, but not the centerpiece of why CLE won the rings
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#1242 » by dakomish23 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

GONYK wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:I have only one question mark in regards to KP. Can he stay healthy longterm? If that answer was a yes , then there are only like 5 players in the league that I'd trade him for. I have 100% confidence in Kristaps the player (along with his work ethic etc.) to become a superstar in the league. Zero doubts about that. However, there is another BIG variable involved in Kristaps' development. That's the Knicks player development and coaching staff.
Like I mentioned in some other post: I don't see Kristaps becoming a top 10 player at the 4. Yes, he can shoot over most opponents at the 4, but do you really want to turn him into a straight jump shooter? I personally don't. I want to see him at the 5 where he can slash more and still shoot. At the 4 he also has to roam around the perimeter chasing around guys that are 6 inches shorter. Not a great look. Kristaps is terrific in guarding the paint. He needs to be there fulltime. No matter who is going up against him, that player will be bothered by Kristaps' length and athleticism. He is among the best defenders within the paint. I hope the coaching staff sees that and puts and end to all these tall line-ups that we saw last year.

Frankly, if we could get the Spurs' development staff and coaching staff here I likely wouldn't trade Kristaps for anyone because you just know they would turn him into a top 5 player in the league. I just hope the young fella stays healthy and the Knicks develop him into the best player he can be. I know there are a couple players (like Kawhi) that I wouldn't be mad if we traded Kristaps for. I just don't have great confidence in our player development and coaching staff. I hope they prove me wrong this season. Keep in mind that Kristaps with his length,offensive ability and work ethic is truly truly something very special. If our staff isn't able to turn him into a top 20 player very soon, then I'll be very dissapointed. Would be a complete waste of a talent.

1.Who are the 5?
2.'He should be our future 5, if not currently
3. The #1 thing for his development will be getting him a good PG who will make life easier for him on both ends.

If only the team prioritized getting a guard who can defend the point of attack from both 1's and 2's, hits open 3's, runs the PnR well, and brings a team first mentality to the position....

I think the defense and shooting will translate and that's why I was fine with the player. I'm not sure if he's going to be better as the secondary ball handler or as the primary.

Let's hope Frank is all you said above.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Basketball1981
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#1243 » by Basketball1981 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:I have only one question mark in regards to KP. Can he stay healthy longterm? If that answer was a yes , then there are only like 5 players in the league that I'd trade him for. I have 100% confidence in Kristaps the player (along with his work ethic etc.) to become a superstar in the league. Zero doubts about that. However, there is another BIG variable involved in Kristaps' development. That's the Knicks player development and coaching staff.
Like I mentioned in some other post: I don't see Kristaps becoming a top 10 player at the 4. Yes, he can shoot over most opponents at the 4, but do you really want to turn him into a straight jump shooter? I personally don't. I want to see him at the 5 where he can slash more and still shoot. At the 4 he also has to roam around the perimeter chasing around guys that are 6 inches shorter. Not a great look. Kristaps is terrific in guarding the paint. He needs to be there fulltime. No matter who is going up against him, that player will be bothered by Kristaps' length and athleticism. He is among the best defenders within the paint. I hope the coaching staff sees that and puts and end to all these tall line-ups that we saw last year.

Frankly, if we could get the Spurs' development staff and coaching staff here I likely wouldn't trade Kristaps for anyone because you just know they would turn him into a top 5 player in the league. I just hope the young fella stays healthy and the Knicks develop him into the best player he can be. I know there are a couple players (like Kawhi) that I wouldn't be mad if we traded Kristaps for. I just don't have great confidence in our player development and coaching staff. I hope they prove me wrong this season. Keep in mind that Kristaps with his length,offensive ability and work ethic is truly truly something very special. If our staff isn't able to turn him into a top 20 player very soon, then I'll be very dissapointed. Would be a complete waste of a talent.

1.Who are the 5?
3. The #1 thing for his development will be getting him a good PG who will make life easier for him on both ends.

I would definitely trade him for Towns and Leonard( is just 26 years old). For me these two are absolute no brainers. Antekopumpo is as close as it gets---I think most NBA fans would take Antetokounmpo over KP too (they are the same age). So that would make 3 players where you can pretty much say that there trade value is higher than KP. Then you have a bunch of 28 year old guys that are currently top 10 players in the league holding much more value than KP. The reason against trading KP for them is not KP , but rather the position we are in currently. Getting a Durant or Curry for KP would still leave us with no title chances so might as well keep KP, but strictly from a value standpoint those guys are higher IMO.
Basketball1981
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#1244 » by Basketball1981 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

1.Who are the 5?

I would definitely trade him for Towns and Leonard( is just 26 years old). For me these two are absolute no brainers. Antekopumpo is as close as it gets---I think most NBA fans would take Antetokounmpo over KP too (they are the same age). So that would make 3 players where you can pretty much say that there trade value is higher than KP. Then you have a bunch of 28 year old guys that are currently top 10 players in the league holding much more value than KP. The reason against trading KP for them is not KP , but rather the position we are in currently. Getting a Durant or Curry for KP would still leave us with no title chances so might as well keep KP, but strictly from a value standpoint those guys are higher IMO.

Or put differently: Say for some reason we had Lebron on our roster and a chance to trade KP for Curry or Durant....then I wouldn't hesitate for a split second to trade KP for either of these players.
MartinsLusis
Senior
And1: 544

Post#1245 » by MartinsLusis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm

DievsZingis wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:Btw, for everyone to overreact.

Remember KP tried to hit that Croatian girl who rejected him a put it on social media? There were even articles about it in USA media. So he tried to hit her again..

Spoiler:

You see corny, desperate dude.

I see a guy who even after a big failure, still tries to reach his goal. 8-)

This is sad, **** has no game. He's a millionaire athlete in the biggest city in the world and he's thirsty for internet thots. He should be swatting these useless women left and right. Somebody tell him you don't put passed around pussy on a pedestal, find a good woman for that once you're done having fun. :lol:

This kid man.....slam all the girls you want, but as a man, father and a brother I think this desperation is lame.. it's not like he has Shelden Williams' face. If he was my family..... :banghead:

Agreed. Also, there is a huge problem with the girls of this type - if she would actually start dating Kristaps, it would probably be for his money. Of course being a well known millionaire, there is always a high risk that the girl is dating you for the money, not your personality. But with these Instagram models, it's a guarantee.

There are thousands of really beautiful and smart girls in Latvia, so I hope that KP will come to his senses when it comes to the girls.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1246 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Goddamn KG was a beast, true unicorn indeed :nod:
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#1247 » by Billy Goat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:20 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

the unicorn nickname for KP isnt doing him any favors. KG was in fact a true unicorn.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1248 » by King of Canada » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

the unicorn nickname for KP isnt doing him any favors. KG was in fact a true unicorn.

It took him a long time to come around too, and KP is better than he was at that point in his career. I hope that KP eventually has a similar build.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1249 » by Fury » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

KP is a fake unicorn? If anything KP is the closest to KG we got in the league
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#1250 » by Billy Goat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It took him a long time to come around too, and KP is better than he was at that point in his career. I hope that KP eventually has a similar build.

lets not get carried away here
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#1251 » by Billy Goat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Fury wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

KG was a machine.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#1252 » by shtolky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

Look at their stats for the first two years. KP had a much better rookie season than KG and their second year stats are pretty close even though KG played 6 more minutes per game.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1253 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:04 pm

shtolky wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

Look at their stats for the first two years. KP had a much better rookie season than KG and their second year stats are pretty close even though KG played 6 more minutes per game.

Hmm...they're more closer than we thought then.

The statistics are not far off & Porz did put up better numbers.

I'll give KG props for him being a lot more natural in his movements (crossovers, ISO's, low post) but my god if Porz ever gets it right with his handle & his post up.....lawd.

Still surprised Porz put up numbers can't lie that's a little intriguing. Also to add to context and maybe a little spooky, exactly 20 years ago & exactly like KG he had the third highest usage:

1996:
Tom Gugliotta - USG% 27.5
Stephon Marbury - USG% 24.2
Kevin Garnett - USG% 21.3

2016:
Carmelo Anthony - USG% 29.1
Derrick Rose - USG% 25.7
Kristaps Porzingis - USG% 24.3

Obviously we all saw what happened when KG was given the keys, let's see what happens with KP.

And their nicknames rhyme, spookier!
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#1254 » by Marty McFly » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
shtolky wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

I'll give KG props for him being a lot more natural in his movements (crossovers, ISO's, low post) but my god if Porz ever gets it right with his handle & his post up.....lawd.

Still surprised Porz put up numbers can't lie that's a little intriguing. Also to add to context and maybe a little spooky, exactly 20 years ago & exactly like KG he had the third highest usage:

1996:

2016:
Derrick Rose - USG% 25.7

Obviously we all saw what happened when KG was given the keys, let's see what happens with KP.

at some point its all going to come together. some fans just don't have the patience.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#1255 » by dakomish23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:11 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
shtolky wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

1996:

2016:
Derrick Rose - USG% 25.7

I think KG was a better defender and passer, but KP will be better offensively and as a shot blocker. But there were similarities for sure.

Now let's learn from MIN mistakes and get him as many high talent teammates through the draft instead of settling for first round knockouts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#1256 » by shtolky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
shtolky wrote:

1996:

2016:
Derrick Rose - USG% 25.7

at some point its all going to come together. some fans just don't have the patience.

The lack of patience from some is baffling. It's as if because KP hasn't been a dominant 20 and 10 guy during his first two seasons, he's not going to reach those heights. KG, a perennial all-star, a consistent 20 and 10 guy during his prime, didn't average 20 and 10 until year 4, and didn't peak statistically until year NINE.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1257 » by Greenie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm

MrOrange wrote:I tried to keep silent on all this trade option and as you know started to really follow NYK after KP was drafted. If we talk a swap between involving KP and Kyrie, then the Knicks will inevitably become hostage to Kyrie demanding as max as possible when the initial deal is over. Or lose him. and would have to look elsewhere. Yet again! At the same time NYK will have still have Noah on the books and very likely that the whole Melo trade may or may not succeed the way you would prefer. Then THJ contract. It is not enough to win anything against the best teams in the league and it is very far away from what one calls a rebuild. For me Kyrie is an extremely good player, more proven than KP at this stage, but not the centerpiece of why CLE won the rings

Noah would be gone in any trade where KP is traded for Irving. The money alone makes it a must IF that's where the Knicks go.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1258 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Fury wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wah? are you Kidding...AD is closer to KG than, KP is all day everyday. KP is Mobile but he is nowhere near AD mobility and Ball Handling. Lets not even talking about Just being a Dominate player either. You way off bro. Waaaaaay off.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1259 » by Fury » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Fury wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

Wah? are you Kidding...AD is closer to KG than, KP is all day everyday. KP is Mobile but he is nowhere near AD mobility and Ball Handling.

Whatever second closest then. KP actually looks like KG when he shoots. Don't see that type of shot from Davis
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1260 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Fury wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Fury wrote:

Wah? are you Kidding...AD is closer to KG than, KP is all day everyday. KP is Mobile but he is nowhere near AD mobility and Ball Handling.

Whatever second closest then

I would not even say second. KAT is closer than KP is as well. Are you an Employee for Hess? Cause you serving up alot of Gas right now fam.

Return to New York Knicks