ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,592

Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1261 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 pm

The main point should be is patience. KP needs time to develop just like any other player in NBA history. They need to be able to become the first option and they need a team to be built around them.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,009

Post#1262 » by Fury » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Fury wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Wah? are you Kidding...AD is closer to KG than, KP is all day everyday. KP is Mobile but he is nowhere near AD mobility and Ball Handling.

Whatever second closest then

I would not even say second. KAT is closer than KP is as well. Are you an Employee for Hess? Cause you serving up alot of Gas right now fam.

It's not that serious
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#1263 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:I have only one question mark in regards to KP. Can he stay healthy longterm? If that answer was a yes , then there are only like 5 players in the league that I'd trade him for. I have 100% confidence in Kristaps the player (along with his work ethic etc.) to become a superstar in the league. Zero doubts about that. However, there is another BIG variable involved in Kristaps' development. That's the Knicks player development and coaching staff.
Like I mentioned in some other post: I don't see Kristaps becoming a top 10 player at the 4. Yes, he can shoot over most opponents at the 4, but do you really want to turn him into a straight jump shooter? I personally don't. I want to see him at the 5 where he can slash more and still shoot. At the 4 he also has to roam around the perimeter chasing around guys that are 6 inches shorter. Not a great look. Kristaps is terrific in guarding the paint. He needs to be there fulltime. No matter who is going up against him, that player will be bothered by Kristaps' length and athleticism. He is among the best defenders within the paint. I hope the coaching staff sees that and puts and end to all these tall line-ups that we saw last year.

Frankly, if we could get the Spurs' development staff and coaching staff here I likely wouldn't trade Kristaps for anyone because you just know they would turn him into a top 5 player in the league. I just hope the young fella stays healthy and the Knicks develop him into the best player he can be. I know there are a couple players (like Kawhi) that I wouldn't be mad if we traded Kristaps for. I just don't have great confidence in our player development and coaching staff. I hope they prove me wrong this season. Keep in mind that Kristaps with his length,offensive ability and work ethic is truly truly something very special. If our staff isn't able to turn him into a top 20 player very soon, then I'll be very dissapointed. Would be a complete waste of a talent.

1.Who are the 5?
2.'He should be our future 5, if not currently
3. The #1 thing for his development will be getting him a good PG who will make life easier for him on both ends.

I would definitely trade him for Towns and Leonard( is just 26 years old). For me these two are absolute no brainers. Antekopumpo is as close as it gets---I think most NBA fans would take Antetokounmpo over KP too (they are the same age). So that would make 3 players where you can pretty much say that there trade value is higher than KP. Then you have a bunch of 28 year old guys that are currently top 10 players in the league holding much more value than KP. The reason against trading KP for them is not KP , but rather the position we are in currently. Getting a Durant or Curry for KP would still leave us with no title chances so might as well keep KP, but strictly from a value standpoint those guys are higher IMO.

To your original point I think you're wrong. I thibk he will definitely be a top 10 player and I think its already showing. You gotta look at things through the lens of everything else and him being a young player who up until now had to find his spots.

First off I gotta tackle this notion that he had a bad year. Not to say that you said it but Ive heard it. At the end of the day despite everything Im about to say just keep in mind we're still talking about a 2nd yr player who averaged 18/7 and 2blks. Put aside advanced stats for young players trying to figure where they fit for a second. The raw stat shows he belongs and is confident, he's got nothing to apologize for but sure....stuff he must build on as dies every sophmore. But how or in what environment did he do this

- Ny. Tons of attention, tons of hype, tons of distractions, tons of drama, tons of hate. Thus far hes handled himself great save for an hr interview.

- he played with two isolation scorers. Again, Im not arguing why a guy only averaged 8 pts here. Im arguing why and where his shots came from. KP is self aware. He knows who hes playing with so most of his buckets came after situations Melo/Rose created....leftovers, which typically are jumpshots. Otherwise and here's where you're wrong, this guy was everywhere throwing down dunks on every and anyone. There are videos dedicated to his dunks and trust me, there are alot of shot blockers and enforcers who he gave it to. Not to mention the blocks. Point is, he's not the soft big people make him out to be, he just needs strength and inside skill. Or better put, hes not soft with what he has at his disposal. He just needs to gain in those areas.

I see him working out, getting stronger and itll happen incrementally but I thibk hes well on his way. Let's be real. 2 more points and 2 boards and all of a sudden hes putting up cornerstone bigmen stats. That should happen this year.

As far as defense at the 4. I don't have every answer but I am curious to see a team where everyone is involved on defense and people aren't covering for other players. Im not saying names but I think itll look less bad when everyone can carry thier own water respectively
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#1264 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:I have only one question mark in regards to KP. Can he stay healthy longterm? If that answer was a yes , then there are only like 5 players in the league that I'd trade him for. I have 100% confidence in Kristaps the player (along with his work ethic etc.) to become a superstar in the league. Zero doubts about that. However, there is another BIG variable involved in Kristaps' development. That's the Knicks player development and coaching staff.
Like I mentioned in some other post: I don't see Kristaps becoming a top 10 player at the 4. Yes, he can shoot over most opponents at the 4, but do you really want to turn him into a straight jump shooter? I personally don't. I want to see him at the 5 where he can slash more and still shoot. At the 4 he also has to roam around the perimeter chasing around guys that are 6 inches shorter. Not a great look. Kristaps is terrific in guarding the paint. He needs to be there fulltime. No matter who is going up against him, that player will be bothered by Kristaps' length and athleticism. He is among the best defenders within the paint. I hope the coaching staff sees that and puts and end to all these tall line-ups that we saw last year.

Frankly, if we could get the Spurs' development staff and coaching staff here I likely wouldn't trade Kristaps for anyone because you just know they would turn him into a top 5 player in the league. I just hope the young fella stays healthy and the Knicks develop him into the best player he can be. I know there are a couple players (like Kawhi) that I wouldn't be mad if we traded Kristaps for. I just don't have great confidence in our player development and coaching staff. I hope they prove me wrong this season. Keep in mind that Kristaps with his length,offensive ability and work ethic is truly truly something very special. If our staff isn't able to turn him into a top 20 player very soon, then I'll be very dissapointed. Would be a complete waste of a talent.

1.Who are the 5?
2.'He should be our future 5, if not currently
3. The #1 thing for his development will be getting him a good PG who will make life easier for him on both ends.

I would definitely trade him for Towns and Leonard( is just 26 years old). For me these two are absolute no brainers. Antekopumpo is as close as it gets---I think most NBA fans would take Antetokounmpo over KP too (they are the same age). So that would make 3 players where you can pretty much say that there trade value is higher than KP. Then you have a bunch of 28 year old guys that are currently top 10 players in the league holding much more value than KP. The reason against trading KP for them is not KP , but rather the position we are in currently. Getting a Durant or Curry for KP would still leave us with no title chances so might as well keep KP, but strictly from a value standpoint those guys are higher IMO.

To your original point I think you're wrong. I thibk he will definitely be a top 10 player and I think its already showing. You gotta look at things through the lens of everything else and him being a young player who up until now had to find his spots.

First off I gotta tackle this notion that he had a bad year. Not to say that you said it but Ive heard it. At the end of the day despite everything Im about to say just keep in mind we're still talking about a 2nd yr player who averaged 18/7 and 2blks. Put aside advanced stats for young players trying to figure where they fit for a second. The raw stat shows he belongs and is confident, he's got nothing to apologize for but sure....stuff he must build on as dies every sophmore. But how or in what environment did he do this

- Ny. Tons of attention, tons of hype, tons of distractions, tons of drama, tons of hate. Thus far hes handled himself great save for an hr interview.

- he played with two isolation scorers. Again, Im not arguing why a guy only averaged 8 pts here. Im arguing why and where his shots came from. KP is self aware. He knows who hes playing with so most of his buckets came after situations Melo/Rose created....leftovers, which typically are jumpshots. Otherwise and here's where you're wrong, this guy was everywhere throwing down dunks on every and anyone. There are videos dedicated to his dunks and trust me, there are alot of shot blockers and enforcers who he gave it to. Not to mention the blocks. Point is, he's not the soft big people make him out to be, he just needs strength and inside skill. Or better put, hes not soft with what he has at his disposal. He just needs to gain in those areas.

I see him working out, getting stronger and itll happen incrementally but I thibk hes well on his way. Let's be real. 2 more points and 2 boards and all of a sudden hes putting up cornerstone bigmen stats. That should happen this year.

As far as defense at the 4. I don't have every answer but I am curious to see a team where everyone is involved on defense and people aren't covering for other players. Im not saying names but I think itll look less bad when everyone can carry thier own water respectively
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1265 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah the Unicorn nickname is just silly. There have been plenty of guys throughout the years who have the same skillset as KP, the only difference is that he's a couple inches taller, big deal. KP has the tools to be a really good player, of course, but to act like he's some unique talent that the league has never seen is just foolish. Him being 7'3" really doesn't play that much of a role on the basketball court. He could be 6'11" and his skills would translate the exact same way.

People forget just how good Chris Bosh was and he was doing the exact same thing that KP can do. Nowadays there are a few guys with the same skillset as KP, they just aren't listed as 7'3" but that's not stopping them from doing the exact same things he can do plus more.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,009

Post#1266 » by Fury » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm

HEZI wrote:Yeah the Unicorn nickname is just silly. There have been plenty of guys throughout the years who have the same skillset as KP, the only difference is that he's a couple inches taller, big deal. KP has the tools to be a really good player, of course, but to act like he's some unique talent that the league has never seen is just foolish. Him being 7'3" really doesn't play that much of a role on the basketball court. He could be 6'11" and his skills would translate the exact same way.

People forget just how good Chris Bosh was and he was doing the exact same thing that KP can do. Nowadays there are a few guys with the same skillset as KP, they just aren't listed as 7'3" but that's not stopping them from doing the exact same things he can do plus more.

Porzingis is the ONLY player in NBA history with at least 2,000 points, 1,000 rebs, 250 blocks and 100 made 3's over his first two seasons.

1,000 rebounds, 150 made threes, 100 blocks through 2 seasons --
- LeBron James
- Kristaps Porzingis
(Via @bball_ref)

He may not be better than some of the players mentioned but his skillset is more unique
Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#1267 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 pm

HEZI wrote:Yeah the Unicorn nickname is just silly. There have been plenty of guys throughout the years who have the same skillset as KP, the only difference is that he's a couple inches taller, big deal. KP has the tools to be a really good player, of course, but to act like he's some unique talent that the league has never seen is just foolish. Him being 7'3" really doesn't play that much of a role on the basketball court. He could be 6'11" and his skills would translate the exact same way.

Yeah he's 7 foot 3 doing what no 7 foot 3 player has ever done. What's so unique about that? That dummy Durant calling him a unicorn must not know anything about basketball...oh :roll:
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,045

Post#1268 » by Sark » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Wow the KP hate is real.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#1269 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Fury wrote:

Porzingis is the ONLY player in NBA history with at least 2,000 points, 1,000 rebs, 250 blocks and 100 made 3's over his first two seasons.

- LeBron James
- Kristaps Porzingis
(Via @bball_ref)

He may not be better than some of the players mentioned but his skillset is more unique

The league never jacked up as many 3 pointers as they have been doing the last 2 years. The game is going through a transition period where high volume 3's are more common now than ever before, so more and more players are going to be doing that now. Look at guys like Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez launching 3's last season, more than they did ever before in their careers. It's nothing special considering this trend just began a couple years ago.
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#1270 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Fury wrote:

- LeBron James
- Kristaps Porzingis
(Via @bball_ref)

The league never jacked up as many 3 pointers as they have been doing the last 2 years. The game is going through a transition period where high volume 3's are more common now than ever before, so more and more players are going to be doing that now. Look at guys like Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez launching 3's last season, more than they did ever before in their careers. It's nothing special considering this trend just began a couple years ago.
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#1271 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:

Yeah he's 7 foot 3 doing what no 7 foot 3 player has ever done. What's so unique about that? That dummy Durant calling him a unicorn must not know anything about basketball...oh :roll:

Get over it

You're probably old enough to remember Yao Ming, he was doing things on the court that I've never seen from a guy 7'6"
DENVER NUGGETS
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1272 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Fury wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Fury wrote:
Whatever second closest then

I would not even say second. KAT is closer than KP is as well. Are you an Employee for Hess? Cause you serving up alot of Gas right now fam.

It's not that serious

Fucck you mean its not that serious...

ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1273 » by ChaosHamster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Sark wrote:Wow the KP hate is real.

Everyone tries to convince themselves KP isn't that good..

Scared he may carry Knicks out of top5 pick. :lol:
Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#1274 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 pm

I hope KP reaches his potential. I want to see Giannis vs KP vs Embiid in the playoffs.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,134

Post#1275 » by waya » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Durant is a douche but I don't see anything wrong with the nickname he coined:

"He can shoot, he can make the right plays, he can defend, he's a 7-footer that can shoot all the way out to the 3-point line," Durant said. "That's rare. And block shots -- that's like a unicorn in this league."

If we're talking big men who can block shots and shoot 3's, I can't think of many that do it as good as he does. Probably Sheed, but his shot blocking and 3pt%s fluctuated year to year. Bosh's rim protection was no where near as good as KP's and he only became a 3pt threat much later in his career. KG rarely shot the 3 ball. KAT's shot blocking isnt as good. AD's 3 ball isnt there.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,515

Post#1276 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 pm

KP is not KG like.....
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#1277 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Sark wrote:Wow the KP hate is real.

Its that whole....if everyone out there is hyping him up I gotta play devils advocate in order to sound smart...bull.

I could care less about a nickname. Unicorn, KP, whatever you wanna call him it dont matter. Point is at his usage and age, KP has been nothing short of amazing. His peers think so, vets think so, experts think so. The only people Ive heard not think so are guys who dont wanna rebuild and would jump at the chance to trade him for a star in his prime to pair with Melo. Hes allowed to have ups and downs and its good he has an ego. His teammates respect him and that's whats really gonna matter.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1278 » by ChaosHamster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:KP is not KG like.....

He is Bargnani like.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1279 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Knicks fans: KP, entering his third year, is not the greatest thing since sliced bread yet. :(

KP gets traded...

Knicks fans: we need to Draft a player like KP!

:thumbsup:

It's even WORSE on social media comment sections. :lol:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
HEZI
RealGM

Post#1280 » by HEZI » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 pm

You guys can't have it both ways

You can't say people are hating on him and don't appreciate how amazing he is but then at the same time tell people to calm down with expectations and not point out his weaknesses because he's still so young. Either he's already that amazing or he's not, you can't have it both ways.

Some of you don't allow even the slightest criticism of him, even if it's coming from his fans like most of us on here are, but you don't allow any constructive criticism of him to be made, apparently if you are not worshiping him then you are a hater.
DENVER NUGGETS

Return to New York Knicks