ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1401 » by NewYorkPride85 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:52 am

Lets stop judging KP off of his first two season. The kid has a career ahead of him and many of us want to judge his future based of what we seen so far. It's a huge reason why we never can have nice things. We want instant gratification and a championship today. Enjoy the ride an be happy we actually have a guy many teams would die for. For a kid who hasn't had franchise stability since he got here he hasn't done bad at all. Just look forward to how he develops. If anything we can seriously dissect his game at the end of this season with no triangle and after his third year which is when you know what you have with a player.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1402 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:24 am

suka2000
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#1403 » by suka2000 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 am

ChaosHamster wrote:

This was a game against one of the better euro teams who has a front line of NBA players.

All I got was "Spels" and Uzvara when Porzingis speaks Latvieski...
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#1404 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 am

HEZI wrote:Yeah the Unicorn nickname is just silly. There have been plenty of guys throughout the years who have the same skillset as KP, the only difference is that he's a couple inches taller, big deal. KP has the tools to be a really good player, of course, but to act like he's some unique talent that the league has never seen is just foolish. Him being 7'3" really doesn't play that much of a role on the basketball court. He could be 6'11" and his skills would translate the exact same way.

People forget just how good Chris Bosh was and he was doing the exact same thing that KP can do. Nowadays there are a few guys with the same skillset as KP, they just aren't listed as 7'3" but that's not stopping them from doing the exact same things he can do plus more.

Yeah, I agree, I fell into that 7'3'' hype trap too. You see, during his rookie year, I thought he was just scared to go down low because he was a twig, and thought man, surely he has to have a simple hook shot, right? He can turn around and toss the ball into the bucket all day. I was a few rows away from the court at MSG and watched him live, he towers above others, and I was getting frustrated because we were getting blown out by the Cavs, and all I could think was why can't he just catch it, turn around and shoot it over the **** guy....HE'S 7'3'' MANNNNNNN lol....so what good is all the "only 7''3' guy who can do crossovers" if that 7'3'' of height can't be taken advantage of to the fullest? But the more I watch him I realize he's not interested to play that way. Lord/God Janis even came out and made this clear...as to why he's not working on his post game more...."it's not the future of basketball" :lol: or some ****.

If he was playing like a true 7'3'' guy on offense, like on the low block, for example like Jokic, or hell, for this argument's sake, KG, and ON TOP of that he could do his crossover, his fadeaway baseline jay, his three's, his left right shake and bake, then he would truly be unique and the height would matter and would be a big deal. Like you pointed out, he doesn't use that height any better than some regular old 7 footer, on offense or defense. As of now, he's just a really tall guard (on offense), so him being the most unique talent evarrr at 7 foot and a holy three inches is kind of a pointless argument to have.

With that being said, the kid is only 22 years old. He could be the next Kareem down low and Ray Allen from outside for all we know. An offensive combo even half as good as that would make him truly special, but whatever happens....he's fun to watch man, and I love watching him play.....and in that aspect at least, as a Knick, compared to the turds that have worn this uniform, he truly is unique.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1405 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 am

Well, yeah.. About that most unique player in NBA.

Its a "little" bit early for that. :lol:

Of course if he pans out and is a mix of KD`s offense, with Gobert defense.. Then we can talk.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,550

Post#1406 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 am

These players should honestly listen to our advice. I feel like we give better criticism than those around them at times like Janis.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#1407 » by Adelheid » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:These players should honestly listen to our advice. I feel like we give better criticism than those around them at times like Janis.

If KP was a client of the known skills trainers around the league like Johnson/Hanlen/etc, I would think KP would be better in terms of skillset.
Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#1408 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:00 am

Adelheid wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:These players should honestly listen to our advice. I feel like we give better criticism than those around them at times like Janis.

If KP was a client of the known skills trainers around the league like Johnson/Hanlen/etc, I would think KP would be better in terms of skillset.

Let's hope with Perry the Knicks organization will turn around and they'll establish good morality and communication with their players for development.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1409 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:55 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:

Always love another KP video. I also noticed, the Knicks City Dancers have nothing on these young women.

Latvian basketball - what's not to like?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1410 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

Let's hope with Perry the Knicks organization will turn around and they'll establish good morality and communication with their players for development.

They need a great big man coach. They need a great defensive coach. And maybe they also need a head coach.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,331

Post#1411 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 pm

DievsZingis wrote:
HEZI wrote:Yeah the Unicorn nickname is just silly. There have been plenty of guys throughout the years who have the same skillset as KP, the only difference is that he's a couple inches taller, big deal. KP has the tools to be a really good player, of course, but to act like he's some unique talent that the league has never seen is just foolish. Him being 7'3" really doesn't play that much of a role on the basketball court. He could be 6'11" and his skills would translate the exact same way.

People forget just how good Chris Bosh was and he was doing the exact same thing that KP can do. Nowadays there are a few guys with the same skillset as KP, they just aren't listed as 7'3" but that's not stopping them from doing the exact same things he can do plus more.

Yeah, I agree, I fell into that 7'3'' hype trap too. You see, during his rookie year, I thought he was just scared to go down low because he was a twig, and thought man, surely he has to have a simple hook shot, right? He can turn around and toss the ball into the bucket all day. I was a few rows away from the court at MSG and watched him live, he towers above others, and I was getting frustrated because we were getting blown out by the Cavs, and all I could think was why can't he just catch it, turn around and shoot it over the **** guy....HE'S 7'3'' MANNNNNNN lol....so what good is all the "only 7''3' guy who can do crossovers" if that 7'3'' of height can't be taken advantage of to the fullest? But the more I watch him I realize he's not interested to play that way. Lord/God Janis even came out and made this clear...as to why he's not working on his post game more...."it's not the future of basketball" :lol: or some ****.

If he was playing like a true 7'3'' guy on offense, like on the low block, for example like Jokic, or hell, for this argument's sake, KG, and ON TOP of that he could do his crossover, his fadeaway baseline jay, his three's, his left right shake and bake, then he would truly be unique and the height would matter and would be a big deal. Like you pointed out, he doesn't use that height any better than some regular old 7 footer, on offense or defense. As of now, he's just a really tall guard (on offense), so him being the most unique talent evarrr at 7 foot and a holy three inches is kind of a pointless argument to have.

With that being said, the kid is only 22 years old. He could be the next Kareem down low and Ray Allen from outside for all we know. An offensive combo even half as good as that would make him truly special, but whatever happens....he's fun to watch man, and I love watching him play.....and in that aspect at least, as a Knick, compared to the turds that have worn this uniform, he truly is unique.

So he got compared to Bosh. I know the argument is about uniqueness and what KP can actually deliver in that regard. Just going to point out that Bosh was considered a franchise type player you build around, then got lauded for sublimating his game for the good of the big 3 and winning 3 championships.

I'd take KP being Bosh.

Also, height does sort of factor into people's appreciation factor of a player, even if that's sort of the "showbiz" part of the NBA.

I mean, who really gives a sh*t about Spud Webb or Nate Robinson if they posted the same results but at 6'2"?
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#1412 » by Ganji » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:I guess Porzingis doesn't want Knicks to part of his time in Latvia? Why didn't they send anyone over?

Even Davis BErtans has a coach with him from the Spurs..

Porzingis has strength coach with him from Seville, + he has his brothers who help him do drills.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1413 » by Triple C » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#1414 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

They need a great big man coach. They need a great defensive coach. And maybe they also need a head coach.

That have it all in Rambis....

Anyways Jeff needs to be fired. I'm sorry if you're going to keep Rambis around and you think he's good then you need to be fired. Rambis was the worst coach in NBA history. He was so horrific at Minnesota and nothing has changed with him in NY
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1415 » by HEZI » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:13 pm

DievsZingis wrote:

Well said
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,331

Post#1416 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm not necessarily the biggest Janis fan, but I think people misunderstand the remark. I think both Janis and KP see KP as another Dirk. Could Dirk post? Absolutely. Did he live in the post? No. I "think" they envision KP playing out of the triple threat position and outside, but going inside to bang pure post only sometimes. Just a thought. Clearly KP needs to be in the post at least sometimes, but I think he can do well where he sets up a little further out and can use his length of stride and overall length to get into the paint with less banging around. A lot of C's have featured a move like this, including Ewing, but Ewing used it to set up his jumper, plus of course he lived in the post. I think KP should make it a staple, that drive across the court into the lane, with a hook.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1417 » by HEZI » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'm not necessarily the biggest Janis fan, but I think people misunderstand the remark. I think both Janis and KP see KP as another Dirk. Could Dirk post? Absolutely. Did he live in the post? No. I "think" they envision KP playing out of the triple threat position and outside, but going inside to bang pure post only sometimes. Just a thought. Clearly KP needs to be in the post at least sometimes, but I think he can do well where he sets up a little further out and can use his length of stride and overall length to get into the paint with less banging around. A lot of C's have featured a move like this, including Ewing, but Ewing used it to set up his jumper, plus of course he lived in the post. I think KP should make it a staple, that drive across the court into the lane, with a hook.

Yeah he doesn't ever have to develop into some great low post player but he does need to develop at least 1 or 2 go to moves that involve him moving towards the basket and not away from it like the turnaround jumper. Nobody will confuse Robin Lopez for a great low post player but man does he have an effective sweeping hook. If Porzingis could just add something similar to that he would be that much harder to guard.

I always wondered where Robin learned that but then I came across some videos of him and Brook working out with Hakeem, now it makes sense. If only there was a way that Porzingis could spend some time working with this man

DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#1418 » by Amsterdam » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:37 pm

We have a young talent that has the skills and personality to become the biggest Internatiomal star in the NBA.

Personal development aside, I believe KP's biggest confidence boost came from his fellow piers throughout the League.
First, for clearly standing up for Melo and publically opposing the personal attacks and team divisions.
Secondly, because of his stance he was able to incurr the change this Knicks team desperately needed.
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,344

Post#1419 » by Jellybeans » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm

HEZI wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I'm not necessarily the biggest Janis fan, but I think people misunderstand the remark. I think both Janis and KP see KP as another Dirk. Could Dirk post? Absolutely. Did he live in the post? No. I "think" they envision KP playing out of the triple threat position and outside, but going inside to bang pure post only sometimes. Just a thought. Clearly KP needs to be in the post at least sometimes, but I think he can do well where he sets up a little further out and can use his length of stride and overall length to get into the paint with less banging around. A lot of C's have featured a move like this, including Ewing, but Ewing used it to set up his jumper, plus of course he lived in the post. I think KP should make it a staple, that drive across the court into the lane, with a hook.

Yeah he doesn't ever have to develop into some great low post player but he does need to develop at least 1 or 2 go to moves that involve him moving towards the basket and not away from it like the turnaround jumper. Nobody will confuse Robin Lopez for a great low post player but man does he have an effective sweeping hook. If Porzingis could just add something similar to that he would be that much harder to guard.

I always wondered where Robin learned that but then I came across some videos of him and Brook working out with Hakeem, now it makes sense. If only there was a way that Porzingis could spend some time working with this man

How can he learn that when hes all summer with his NT?
Last year thats was all about weight..
Chill..
KP wont play for NT now like 4 years..Since there will be new rules..He will get alot time to improve.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#1420 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

That have it all in Rambis....

Anyways Jeff needs to be fired. I'm sorry if you're going to keep Rambis around and you think he's good then you need to be fired. Rambis was the worst coach in NBA history. He was so horrific at Minnesota and nothing has changed with him in NY

Maybe you misunderstood.
I wrote that they need to find a great big man coach and defensive coach, and possibly a head coach.

The comment about Rambis was dripping with intense sarcasm, but perhaps it didn't translate well. By writing that, I meant that Rambis is a coach to be reassigned to the trash bin. Hope that clears it up!

Return to New York Knicks