ImageImageImageImageImage

Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1681 » by Ignitowsky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:I really hope that the loss of Rose is enough to offset any improvement by KP. I mean just imagine if , despite KP having a say 23/8/2 type of year, we end up with a top 3 pick. Pairing KP with Porter or Doncic etc. would complete 70% of our rebuild right away. That would be a duo we could look forward to for the next 10 years or so. We desperately need that high pick.

you replaced rose's scoring with timmy who's more efficient. don't get your hopes up.

That may be true. Another reason I hated that Hardaway signing....made literally zero sense. It's like, if he plays great and justifies that contract then he'll surely hurt our draft position a lot. If on the other hand he plays less efficiently so that he doesn't hurt our draft position, then the contract will look terrible. It takes a whole level of incompetency to be in charge for one week and put yourself in a position with a particular signing where you can literally only lose. Well done Mills :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

But at least we have no solid PG. Baker is not really NBA material, Frank is a rookie and Sessions is 36 years old. I still think the combination of age, inexperience, inability at the PG position will cost us a lot of (close) games next season.

Sessions is 31, a huge difference when talking about the upcoming season of a pg.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#1682 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:17 and 10 C's are role players now? I would think numbers like that are pretty easy for Willie to get if he gets 28+ mpg

Maybe our definition of role player is different, where you consider it a starter, but basically a replacement level player - as opposed to a star, where I see a role player as a less talented guy\borderline starter, bench guy who is good at just one or two things.

Where is that 17/10 is coming from? Are those his averages during this EC?
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#1683 » by Milk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Saw this on reddit, thought it was cool lol.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1684 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:17 and 10 C's are role players now? I would think numbers like that are pretty easy for Willie to get if he gets 28+ mpg

Maybe our definition of role player is different, where you consider it a starter, but basically a replacement level player - as opposed to a star, where I see a role player as a less talented guy\borderline starter, bench guy who is good at just one or two things.

Look at his rookie stats and project the minutes. That plus the eye test tell me he can easily be 15/10 or 17/10 with the minutes.
Basketball1981
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#1685 » by Basketball1981 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
you replaced rose's scoring with timmy who's more efficient. don't get your hopes up.

That may be true. Another reason I hated that Hardaway signing....made literally zero sense. It's like, if he plays great and justifies that contract then he'll surely hurt our draft position a lot. If on the other hand he plays less efficiently so that he doesn't hurt our draft position, then the contract will look terrible. It takes a whole level of incompetency to be in charge for one week and put yourself in a position with a particular signing where you can literally only lose. Well done Mills :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

But at least we have no solid PG. Baker is not really NBA material, Frank is a rookie and Sessions is 36 years old. I still think the combination of age, inexperience, inability at the PG position will cost us a lot of (close) games next season.

I don't get the rose = thjr conversation at all

Rose provided scoring. Sure. But his defense was a major negative. He didn't pass. He froze out Kp. Etc.

Thjr worries the hell out of me but he's not the same type of player as rose at all. Thjr won't dominate the ball. He might play some d. He won't be initiating the offense so he won't be freezing out Kp.

It's an ignorant argument

First off if were worried about the team winning a bunch more games with Hardaway we don't need to. The truth is the team is not strong enough to win more games than they did last year

Worried about Hardaway holding back Kp?
That's almost as foolish as an argument can be
First off the real problem with KP's development is internal
Sure teamates freezing him out and team style of play are factors, but he has to be self-motivated. If he is going to be an all star, like so many people think he is, then he can't eat frozen out by the likes of rose and he has to get his.
Neither hardaway nor melo should be a detriment to this kids growth. You don't see other potential franchise players hurt in their growth by good or selfish players around them. Somehow butler developed fine next to rose, for example.

Hardaway will probably be a better team player than rose. Jesus, if not that's really a disaster.

But this team will still suck.

We will probably get a 5-9 pick and Kp will make significant improvements. As will Willy and others

That's a successful season.

A dream season is improvement all across the board and still getting a top 2 pick

Let me address this in a couple of steps because I actually not only disagree with your argument, but also am of the opinion that you are using faulty logic to defend a signing that in reality puts the Knicks in a bad position now and for the next few years.

1. I never mentioned being worried about KPs development at all, so I'm not sure where the bolded question is coming from. To me, KP is heads and shoulders above anything THjr can ever become so there is no reason to be worried about that. THjr is an 8th man on a good team, he can't take anything away from KP.

2.As for the Rose vs. THjr argument. You essentially argue that Rose had a lot of negative aspects to his game (scoring aside). Then you proceed to argue that THjr is more of a team player, won't dominate the ball and may play some D (although I'd need to see that before believing it). So you are essentially saying that THjr can come close to matching Rose's scoring without the negative aspects. So in your book, that should be a huge plus for THjr. But then you backpedal and say that all that is not going to translate into any more wins. Now this makes your whole argument either suspect or you pretty much argue in my favor.

First of all, it is suspect to argue that said player will do this and that and how he fits better etc. but then argue that all that is not going to translate into more wins. If Thjr can come close to all that it should surely translate into some wins, no? We lost an awful lot of close games last season, right? All those losses with less than 5 point margin....you think all that better team play, maybe some D, more ball movement, less freezing out KP that you assume THjr is gonna bring, is all of a sudden not going to translate into any more wins? That's wishful thinking. What you are hoping for is a scenario which in reality seems extremely unlikely. You are hoping for a scenario where Hardaway plays very strong , justifies that ridiculous contract, but yet the Knicks' draft position does not get hurt at all. That is the same type of wishful thinking that has gotten the franchise into trouble for two decades. Doing silly moves, hoping reality somehow bails you out. Not going to happen. The sane thing to believe is that Hardaway either plays great and justifies that contract , which in turn may make the difference between 27 wins and a 3rd pick or 31 wins and a 8th pick. Or Hardaway does not show much improvement rendering the contract terrible and immovable, and most importantly it will limit any sensible free agent moves for the next 3-4 years.

3.You argue that the team is not strong enough to win more games. That may be true, but did you figure into your calculation that with Indiana, Atlanta and Chicago three teams that were ahead of us last year are going to completely tank and suck this year? 31 wins last season meant the 7th/8th worst record last season, it could mean 10th place this season. Let us not kid ourselves there---any pick outside the top 5 is going to limit any quick progress that one can hope for. We need top talent , superstar level talent to make this a successful rebuild. If the organization and fans are ok with getting 8th picks every year and defend silly moves of management, then be aware that this process may take much longer than you wish for. If past drafts taught you anything (not trading picks aside), then it was that we should try to be as high as possible (Westbrook, Curry). It was of utmost importance to conduct roster management in a way where we maximize our chances at a top 5 pick, not minimize them. The most sensible thing was to refrain from any free agent signings, let this year play out and hope for the highest possible pick. The silly move was to hand out a highly questionable contract to an extremely mediocre player in hopes it works out. Truth is, if you offered THjr to any of the other 29 teams and only asked for a second round pick in return, all 29 would likely decline. That's the definition of terrible management and a waste of assets (cap space in this case).
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,273

Post#1686 » by DOT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:

Look at his rookie stats and project the minutes. That plus the eye test tell me he can easily be 15/10 or 17/10 with the minutes.

It depends on if he and KP can work on court together

I believe they can, but they might not be able to, and KP will always have a higher ceiling at the 5 than at the 4, so Willy might be relegated to being a backup and only getting maybe 20 minutes a game
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#1687 » by Thorn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Milk wrote:Image

It is very cool.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1688 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:

I don't get the rose = thjr conversation at all

Rose provided scoring. Sure. But his defense was a major negative. He didn't pass. He froze out Kp. Etc.

Thjr worries the hell out of me but he's not the same type of player as rose at all. Thjr won't dominate the ball. He might play some d. He won't be initiating the offense so he won't be freezing out Kp.

First off if were worried about the team winning a bunch more games with Hardaway we don't need to. The truth is the team is not strong enough to win more games than they did last year

Sure teamates freezing him out and team style of play are factors, but he has to be self-motivated. If he is going to be an all star, like so many people think he is, then he can't eat frozen out by the likes of rose and he has to get his.
Neither hardaway nor melo should be a detriment to this kids growth. You don't see other potential franchise players hurt in their growth by good or selfish players around them. Somehow butler developed fine next to rose, for example.

Hardaway will probably be a better team player than rose. Jesus, if not that's really a disaster.

We will probably get a 5-9 pick and Kp will make significant improvements. As will Willy and others

A dream season is improvement all across the board and still getting a top 2 pick

Let me address this in a couple of steps because I actually not only disagree with your argument, but also am of the opinion that you are using faulty logic to defend a signing that in reality puts the Knicks in a bad position now and for the next few years.

1. I never mentioned being worried about KPs development at all, so I'm not sure where the bolded question is coming from. To me, KP is heads and shoulders above anything THjr can ever become so there is no reason to be worried about that. THjr is an 8th man on a good team, he can't take anything away from KP.

2.As for the Rose vs. THjr argument. You essentially argue that Rose had a lot of negative aspects to his game (scoring aside). Then you proceed to argue that THjr is more of a team player, won't dominate the ball and may play some D (although I'd need to see that before believing it). So you are essentially saying that THjr can come close to matching Rose's scoring without the negative aspects. So in your book, that should be a huge plus for THjr. But then you backpedal and say that all that is not going to translate into any more wins. Now this makes your whole argument either suspect or you pretty much argue in my favor.

First of all, it is suspect to argue that said player will do this and that and how he fits better etc. but then argue that all that is not going to translate into more wins. If Thjr can come close to all that it should surely translate into some wins, no? We lost an awful lot of close games last season, right? All those losses with less than 5 point margin....you think all that better team play, maybe some D, more ball movement, less freezing out KP that you assume THjr is gonna bring, is all of a sudden not going to translate into any more wins? That's wishful thinking. What you are hoping for is a scenario which in reality seems extremely unlikely. You are hoping for a scenario where Hardaway plays very strong , justifies that ridiculous contract, but yet the Knicks' draft position does not get hurt at all. That is the same type of wishful thinking that has gotten the franchise into trouble for two decades. Doing silly moves, hoping reality somehow bails you out. Not going to happen. The sane thing to believe is that Hardaway either plays great and justifies that contract , which in turn may make the difference between 27 wins and a 3rd pick or 31 wins and a 8th pick. Or Hardaway does not show much improvement rendering the contract terrible and immovable, and most importantly it will limit any sensible free agent moves for the next 3-4 years.

3.You argue that the team is not strong enough to win more games. That may be true, but did you figure into your calculation that with Indiana, Atlanta and Chicago three teams that were ahead of us last year are going to completely tank and suck this year? 31 wins last season meant the 7th/8th worst record last season, it could mean 10th place this season. Let us not kid ourselves there---any pick outside the top 5 is going to limit any quick progress that one can hope for. We need top talent , superstar level talent to make this a successful rebuild. If the organization and fans are ok with getting 8th picks every year and defend silly moves of management, then be aware that this process may take much longer than you wish for. If past drafts taught you anything (not trading picks aside), then it was that we should try to be as high as possible (Westbrook, Curry). It was of utmost importance to conduct roster management in a way where we maximize our chances at a top 5 pick, not minimize them. The most sensible thing was to refrain from any free agent signings, let this year play out and hope for the highest possible pick. The silly move was to hand out a highly questionable contract to an extremely mediocre player in hopes it works out. Truth is, if you offered THjr to any of the other 29 teams and only asked for a second round pick in return, all 29 would likely decline. That's the definition of terrible management and a waste of assets (cap space in this case).

I thought I was clear both here and in the past but I'll bullet point
I sadly don't have time to do your level of response

1)I have never and will never defend the thjr contract. I never liked him as a knick and I don't like his kind of ball. He's one dimensional - scoring only - and he's sickeningly overpaid. Between him and Noah I'm stunned at the contracts given to 1 dimensional players who aren't even the top level at that one thing. Astounded and dismayed.

2) regarding rose and thjr. I'm not equating their scoring. Rose is a better scorer and a more selfish scorer. I was only saying that hardaway unlike rose won't dominate the ball. Sure he will jack up a lot of shots but he won't just ball hog like rose because he won't be running the offense. This will be better for Kp as the ball will have to move more than it did with rose.

3) I think I mentioned above that were probably getting a 5-10 pick and I can only pray again for the top two.

This team is rebuilding. That's what makes the thjr so moronic. Only part but a major part.
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1689 » by Jay10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm

#7 would've taken the shot after viewing it as a challenge. :lol:
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1690 » by Triple C » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Re: RE: Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1691 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter
I think KP is among that group
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,395

Post#1692 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

the melo haters wont like that :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Re: RE: Re: Porzingis Unicorn #3 Thread 

Post#1693 » by shtolky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 pm

GONYK wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter
I think KP is among that group

It's time to take the training wheels off. He's going into year 3 and has already established himself as a player in his first two seasons. Playing with Melo, a ball stopper who doesn't distribute well just isn't good for him game. It's time to give KP the keys and let him grow into that role. Sure it was only Eurobasket, but he looked just fine as the alpha on his team (yes I know the NBA and Eurobasket are night and day, but I think he is ready to embrace that same role on the Knicks).
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#1694 » by Juco24 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Jay10 wrote:

#7 would've taken the shot after viewing it as a challenge. :lol:

You say that, but I sure don't see KP recognizing the quadruple team and passing either. JS
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1695 » by 2010 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 pm

First off going forward, Willy won't ever be no 20 mpg backup for as long as Steve Mills is here.

WHG is being slept on by many around here. He may not shoot 3's, be 7'3" doing fancy crossovers, get highlight reel put-back dunks, and may not be a unicorn but ultimately Willy could end up being the superior player to KP offensively.

He is already more efficient, a better rebounder, a better passer, and is actually better at creating his own offense out of the post with elite footwork and is ambidextrous.

WHG's game is a lot more rudimentary than KP yet also more efficient and effective.

I can easily see him making an all-star game or two similar to how Marc Gasol has.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Basketball1981
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#1696 » by Basketball1981 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I don't get the rose = thjr conversation at all

1)I have never and will never defend the thjr contract. I never liked him as a knick and I don't like his kind of ball. He's one dimensional - scoring only - and he's sickeningly overpaid. Between him and Noah I'm stunned at the contracts given to 1 dimensional players who aren't even the top level at that one thing. Astounded and dismayed.

2) regarding rose and thjr. I'm not equating their scoring. Rose is a better scorer and a more selfish scorer. I was only saying that hardaway unlike rose won't dominate the ball. Sure he will jack up a lot of shots but he won't just ball hog like rose because he won't be running the offense. This will be better for Kp as the ball will have to move more than it did with rose.

3) I think I mentioned above that were probably getting a 5-10 pick and I can only pray again for the top two.

This team is rebuilding. That's what makes the thjr so moronic. Only part but a major part.

ok thanks for clearing it up. I hope we somehow end up with a top 5 pick. Anything else is a further setback IMO. With those moronic contracts handed out, improving via FA is not gonna happen so our only shot is the draft. There, we likely need a top 5 pick to get an future impact player.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1697 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Basketball1981 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Basketball1981 wrote:

ok thanks for clearing it up. I hope we somehow end up with a top 5 pick. Anything else is a further setback IMO. With those moronic contracts handed out, improving via FA is not gonna happen so our only shot is the draft. There, we likely need a top 5 pick to get an future impact player.

Indeed

This franchise clearly wants to improve and compete right away

That's fine
Tanking long term is a guarantee of being a long term disaster

But we can't half tank like we did the past couple years

Free agency won't net us anything until 2019/20 imo.

Kp and ideally frank and Willy need to develop and get good. We need to do what the celtics did, albeit without the nets as a benefactor.

Play the right way, compete, develop from within, add young two way talent, and when it's time you go after free agents who can get you from one tier to the next, and then to a title.

We're at the first and a half stage.
We have to suck this year and find a way to grow at the same time.
Then we should have a core of the 2018 draft pick, Kp, frank hopefully, Willy and who knows who else. Perhaps even thjr. Though I doubt it.
And we can start truly competing.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#1698 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Again, if we are talking about what would be best for the Knicks to be a winning (potentially a PO) team, than yeah. I think team would benefit from 1st option along side KP.

Like I've saying, KP will struggle as a first option. And that's okay. If team believes he needs to work through them and grow.

Do these executives, have any idea/are scared, him failing a bit, can harm his confidence/growth? Or are they talking about what I was saying in my first paragraph.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#1699 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:55 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Again, if we are talking about what would be best for the Knicks to be a winning (potentially a PO) team, than yeah. I think team would benefit from 1st option along side KP.

Like I've saying, KP will struggle as a first option. And that's okay. If team believes he needs to work through them and grow.

Do these executives, have any idea/are scared, him failing a bit, can harm his confidence/growth? Or are they talking about what I was saying in my first paragraph.

I think the answer is that they want to get rid of Melo, but can't
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,963

Post#1700 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm

coach nick a damn hustler :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks