ImageImageImageImageImage

The Greatest Common Factor: James Dolan

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Re: The Greatest Common Factor: James Dolan 

Post#61 » by Marty McFly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Polk377 wrote:You do realize that if Dolan sells the Knicks the likelihood would be that the team is relocated right? He is not selling MSG or any of its other teams so for better or worse we are stuck with him unless you all would rather cheer for the New Jersey Knicks. What makes the Knicks special is MSG and without it there might as well not be a team.

doesn't msg have relocate by 2023 anyway?
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HKSVIP
Bench Warmer
And1: 107

Post#62 » by HKSVIP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
Not at all be held accountable!! Lmao!

Were you in a coma for Sterling's tenure as owner? Or even Al Davis'?

I'm sorry, there is no way this post deserves anything more than mock and ridicule.

So it got good for him when he was able to get a coach like Doc Rivers, players like Chris Paul/Blake Griffin/DeAndre Jordan but his racial point of view made him a terrible owner.

Al Davis lost John Madden and suddenly they became a laughingstock until recently when his son took over and was able to hit on draft picks and they've finally had their first winning season in years. It's not owenership, it is the GM they had in place making the decisions.

You cannot blame the owner for a failed product.

What standards do you have for an owner? You picked 2 seasons out of 35 where Donald Sterling had success and excuse him. Same for Al Davis.

Not really understanding the logic.

The owner is a big part of the team. If they are terrible then the team will be too. There's no escaping it.

NONE. I have standards for the President/GM to get quality talent, a coach to use that talent to the best of its ability, and the talent to play the role they are asked and give effort at all times.

I expect the owner to pay them.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#63 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:22 pm

HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:So it got good for him when he was able to get a coach like Doc Rivers, players like Chris Paul/Blake Griffin/DeAndre Jordan but his racial point of view made him a terrible owner.

Al Davis lost John Madden and suddenly they became a laughingstock until recently when his son took over and was able to hit on draft picks and they've finally had their first winning season in years. It's not owenership, it is the GM they had in place making the decisions.

You cannot blame the owner for a failed product.

What standards do you have for an owner? You picked 2 seasons out of 35 where Donald Sterling had success and excuse him. Same for Al Davis.

The owner is a big part of the team. If they are terrible then the team will be too. There's no escaping it.

NONE. I have standards for the President/GM to get quality talent, a coach to use that talent to the best of its ability, and the talent to play the role they are asked and give effort at all times.

So you are saying that the owner plays zero role in a franchises' failure or success? You are sitting at your computer at this present time really believing that the man who hires every single person on the basketball team has no impact on the team itself?

Good for you.
Trav_NYK
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#64 » by Trav_NYK » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Meat wrote:
Trav_NYK wrote:how about we all put our money together and buy the team from him? is it possible? lol

imagine a Knick team owned by its true fans!

have you seen some of the idiotic posts on the boards here?

haha true but id rather us over Dolan
"This is Me7o"
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,574

Post#65 » by Meat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Polk377 wrote:You do realize that if Dolan sells the Knicks the likelihood would be that the team is relocated right? He is not selling MSG or any of its other teams so for better or worse we are stuck with him unless you all would rather cheer for the New Jersey Knicks. What makes the Knicks special is MSG and without it there might as well not be a team.

doesn't msg have relocate by 2023 anyway?

it wont happen, i think the early estimates put it at a 5 billion dollar relocate, plus the commuter congestion for the 5 years construction,
HKSVIP
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by HKSVIP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:51 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

So you are saying that the owner plays zero role in a franchises' failure or success? You are sitting at your computer at this present time really believing that the man who hires every single person on the basketball team has no impact on the team itself?

Good for you.

Of course it does. He hires the President and GM of the team. They make the decisions of what coaches/training staff/players to hire.

Basically what you are saying is that the owner should be held 100% accountable for what happens on the court and I disagree for the most part. He has the power to end it but he is not the one making the basketball decisions. If the Phil Jackson experiment fails then it fails. We will need to start over and find another President and GM we see fit.

I credit what the players and coaches do on the court to get results not who hired them and that's what I'm a fan of.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm

HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:NONE. I have standards for the President/GM to get quality talent, a coach to use that talent to the best of its ability, and the talent to play the role they are asked and give effort at all times.

Good for you.

Of course it does. He hires the President and GM of the team. They make the decisions of what coaches/training staff/players to hire.

Basically what you are saying is that the owner should be held 100% accountable for what happens on the court and I disagree for the most part. He has the power to end it but he is not the one making the basketball decisions. If the Phil Jackson experiment fails then it fails. We will need to start over and find another President and GM we see fit.

I credit what the players and coaches do on the court to get results not who hired them and that's what I'm a fan of.

He hires the people who make decisions. If those people are terrible then it's because he is terrible at hiring competent people. He also gets involved in basketball decisions when he knows very little about the sport.

James Dolan is responsible for 567-783. If you think otherwise, and you want to keep crying about Phil Jackson when 15 years of failure precedes him at MSG, please do so to feel better about the situation. It doesn't change the fact that Dolan is he worst owner in the NBA and directly responsible for the product of the last 17 years.
HKSVIP
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by HKSVIP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Good for you.

He hires the people who make decisions. If those people are terrible then it's because he is terrible at hiring competent people. He also gets involved in basketball decisions when he knows very little about the sport.

James Dolan is responsible for 567-783. If you think otherwise, and you want to keep crying about Phil Jackson when 15 years of failure precedes him at MSG, please do so to feel better about the situation. It doesn't change the fact that Dolan is he worst owner in the NBA and directly responsible for the product of the last 17 years.

I believe Phil Jackson is competent when it comes to basketball intelligence. So in my opinion it was a good hire. If the team was winning nobody would care about Dolan. The Rangers seem to be doing fine in the NHL and he owns them too so what's the reasoning there?

I'm not crying about Phil Jackson, either. I think he has done what he can to try and make the team competitive. With his one 1st rounder he drafted Porzingis. He needs to be given a fair shot to build a team but that takes time and in NY that's hard to wait on. It's a wait and see philosophy.

Sometimes things don't go as planned, but Isiah had a job in a front office before he got here, Donnie Walsh as well as other past Knick GM's and employees. Larry Brown was fired, Mike D'Antoni was fired and had success elsewhere and failed elsewhere. It happens. You try and move your team in the right direction and sometimes the relationship doesn't work.

Look at Dan Gilbert. Loved the fans burning the LBJ jerseys, said they would win a ring before LeBron does in Miami, criticized his best player at the time. Now that he gets LeBron back and they start winning championships suddenly he's a great owner again?
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:12 pm

HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:Of course it does. He hires the President and GM of the team. They make the decisions of what coaches/training staff/players to hire.

I believe Phil Jackson is competent when it comes to basketball intelligence. So in my opinion it was a good hire. If the team was winning nobody would care about Dolan. The Rangers seem to be doing fine in the NHL and he owns them too so what's the reasoning there?

I'm not crying about Phil Jackson, either. I think he has done what he can to try and make the team competitive. With his one 1st rounder he drafted Porzingis. He needs to be given a fair shot to build a team but that takes time and in NY that's hard to wait on. It's a wait and see philosophy.

Sometimes things don't go as planned, but Isiah had a job in a front office before he got here, Donnie Walsh as well as other past Knick GM's and employees. Larry Brown was fired, Mike D'Antoni was fired and had success elsewhere and failed elsewhere. It happens. You try and move your team in the right direction and sometimes the relationship doesn't work.

Look at Dan Gilbert. Loved the fans burning the LBJ jerseys, said they would win a ring before LeBron does in Miami, criticized his best player at the time. Now that he gets LeBron back and they start winning championships suddenly he's a great owner again?

Do you read any posts besides yours? You keep repeating the same regurgitated stuff.

Don't be a Dolan PR man. Don't be another mindless drone who can't see what's really happening all these years.

Some things don't go as planned? The man is a terrible owner! What's wrong with you, man? You blame every single person who has stepped foot in MSG besides Dolan, who has been the person responsible for all of them? Some of the most ridiculous posting I have ever seen.

James Dolan is the worst owner in the NBA and owner of the worst owners in sports. If you can't admit that then there is no reason to continue this discussion.
HKSVIP
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by HKSVIP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Do you read any posts besides yours? You keep repeating the same regurgitated stuff.

Don't be a Dolan PR man. Don't be another mindless drone who can't see what's really happening all these years.

Some things don't go as planned? The man is a terrible owner! What's wrong with you, man? You blame every single person who has stepped foot in MSG besides Dolan, who has been the person responsible for all of them? Some of the most ridiculous posting I have ever seen.

James Dolan is the worst owner in the NBA and owner of the worst owners in sports. If you can't admit that then there is no reason to continue this discussion.

If you believe that Dolan selling the team will suddenly bring wins to the Knicks you are dreaming. There is a reason why we sucked since 2000 and it is not because of James Dolan. It is because of the players we have on the court. If you are too blind to see that then I'm sorry. I have no interest in arguing with you. I guess Dolan took 2012 off when we won 50+ games. Who owned the team then?
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:23 pm

HKSVIP wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
HKSVIP wrote:I believe Phil Jackson is competent when it comes to basketball intelligence. So in my opinion it was a good hire. If the team was winning nobody would care about Dolan. The Rangers seem to be doing fine in the NHL and he owns them too so what's the reasoning there?

If you believe that Dolan selling the team will suddenly bring wins to the Knicks you are dreaming. There is a reason why we sucked since 2000 and it is not because of James Dolan. It is because of the players we have on the court. If you are too blind to see that then I'm sorry. I have no interest in arguing with you. I guess Dolan took 2012 off when we won 50+ games. Who owned the team then?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#72 » by Polk377 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 am

MP4LIFE wrote:

Huh? Why would the team be relocated from one of the biggest markets in the world? This may be the dumbest post I've ever seen.

Hey genius you do realize that if Dolan sells the Knicks it would have to either be along with MSG, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Network or by itself where they would probably have to move out of MSG right? The first scenario is unfathomable considering the money that would be required to make that purchase. If they just get sold outright by themselves the only arena big enough would be the Barclays Center and thats a big if. They certainly wouldn't get approval to build a new equivalent in the city and they wouldn't move them to LI at the Coliseum. They might not have a choice but to move out of NY.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 am

Polk377 wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Huh? Why would the team be relocated from one of the biggest markets in the world? This may be the dumbest post I've ever seen.

Hey genius you do realize that if Dolan sells the Knicks it would have to either be along with MSG, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Network or by itself where they would probably have to move out of MSG right? The first scenario is unfathomable considering the money that would be required to make that purchase. If they just get sold outright by themselves the only arena big enough would be the Barclays Center and thats a big if. They certainly wouldn't get approval to build a new equivalent in the city and they wouldn't move them to LI at the Coliseum. They might not have a choice but to move out of NY.

The Knicks are never being sold out without MSG. They are a package deal and have been sold as such in the past.

The fact that you are insinuating that we should stick by Dolan because the team might move from the biggest market in the US to Seattle or something is probably the single dumbest comment made here.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#74 » by Polk377 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

The Knicks are never being sold out without MSG. They are a package deal and have been sold as such in the past.

The fact that you are insinuating that we should stick by Dolan because the team might move from the biggest market in the US to Seattle or something is probably the single dumbest comment made here.

I never said we should stick by Dolan. What I was stating is that we are stuck with him so you can either accept that or change your allegiances because it is not changing anytime soon.

If the Knicks sell with all of MSG's subsidiaries it would cost investors roughly $7-8 Billion that is if Dolan is feeling generous. Tell me which Billionaire's are stepping in and making that sort of offer?
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#75 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:53 am

I'm going to post this in every Dolan related thread. Wojnuke.

https://streamable.com/85n65
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#76 » by MrProb » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 am

Root of the problem is rotten, nothing can be fixed if you don't uproot the rotten core.

Don't blame what came out of it, you know what the problem is but blindly hope in miracle to fix everything.
qwerty330
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#77 » by qwerty330 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Y'all really need to stop blaming Dolan. The Knicks have sucked for well over the past decade but you really can't blame Dolan for it. It's easy to use him as the scapegoat because he's at the top but to say that he's the worst owner in the NBA is a bit extreme. I used to blame him too but now I recognize that he's not really the problem.

The key is that at least he tries. If he truly didn't care about the franchise, then we would still be coached by Larry brown with Isaiah as GM. But how many coaches/GMs have we had since over the last 10 years. He recognizes that the people he brought in didn't work out so he tries somebody else. I can respect that, although most of y'all And the media was saying "well he meddles too much when he doesn't know anything about basketball. He needs to leave all decisions up to the GM". So what does he do? He brings in Phil and has lived up to his agreement in not meddling. But now that we still suck people are going to say Dolan is a terrible owner because he's not doing anything.

You can make the argument that its his fault for bringing in the wrong /incompetent people but it's easy to say that in hindsight. I mean Larry brown, dantoni, Woodson were all respectable coaches at the time...it just didn't work out...it happens. People were applauding the deals that brought in melo (I personally didn't like the trade) and Phil...didn't work out it happens. I mean if Phil was able to get Kerr (think he was pretty close) and we ended up as a 3-6 seed now, would that now make Dolan a good owner?

Have to ask yourself..what could Dolan have done differently over the last 10 years and would that have made the Knicks that much better than they are now? Would need a much more specific answer than "hire more competent people and bring in better players". We tried to get lebron..didn't get him it happens. Neither did five other teams who recruited him. We tried to grow talent through the draft. David Lee, Landry fields, hardaway jr, Channing frye, and soon to be porzingis all had great rookie seasons but fell off a cliff their sophomore years...again it didn't work out it happens.

To me it seems like Dolan made attempts to get wins in ny but it didn't work out that way. It's easy to say in hindsight that we shouldn't have brought in guys like Isaiah but it wasn't a bad decision at the time. And of course Dolan is interested in making money and selling seats as an owner...every other owner in the league and everyone one of us would do the same, but I wouldn't say he doesn't care about wins.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:36 pm

qwerty330 wrote:Y'all really need to stop blaming Dolan. The Knicks have sucked for well over the past decade but you really can't blame Dolan for it. It's easy to use him as the scapegoat because he's at the top but to say that he's the worst owner in the NBA is a bit extreme. I used to blame him too but now I recognize that he's not really the problem.

The key is that at least he tries. If he truly didn't care about the franchise, then we would still be coached by Larry brown with Isaiah as GM. But how many coaches/GMs have we had since over the last 10 years. He recognizes that the people he brought in didn't work out so he tries somebody else. I can respect that, although most of y'all And the media was saying "well he meddles too much when he doesn't know anything about basketball. He needs to leave all decisions up to the GM". So what does he do? He brings in Phil and has lived up to his agreement in not meddling. But now that we still suck people are going to say Dolan is a terrible owner because he's not doing anything.

You can make the argument that its his fault for bringing in the wrong /incompetent people but it's easy to say that in hindsight. I mean Larry brown, dantoni, Woodson were all respectable coaches at the time...it just didn't work out...it happens. People were applauding the deals that brought in melo (I personally didn't like the trade) and Phil...didn't work out it happens. I mean if Phil was able to get Kerr (think he was pretty close) and we ended up as a 3-6 seed now, would that now make Dolan a good owner?

Have to ask yourself..what could Dolan have done differently over the last 10 years and would that have made the Knicks that much better than they are now? Would need a much more specific answer than "hire more competent people and bring in better players". We tried to get lebron..didn't get him it happens. Neither did five other teams who recruited him. We tried to grow talent through the draft. David Lee, Landry fields, hardaway jr, Channing frye, and soon to be porzingis all had great rookie seasons but fell off a cliff their sophomore years...again it didn't work out it happens.

To me it seems like Dolan made attempts to get wins in ny but it didn't work out that way. It's easy to say in hindsight that we shouldn't have brought in guys like Isaiah but it wasn't a bad decision at the time. And of course Dolan is interested in making money and selling seats as an owner...every other owner in the league and everyone one of us would do the same, but I wouldn't say he doesn't care about wins.

You're right! James Dolan, great owner who works hard and has the best interest in mind for the fans! Don't judge this man on being over 200 games under .500 in 17 years!

We sucked for a long time says this guy here. Never mind that this is not true at all, as the Knicks were a perennial playoff team until 2000-01, the first full year of Dolan's ownership. No blame for Dolan because he 'tried', guys. A+ for effort. We should give him a participation trophy. He's done so much for us. All the money he has spent. Just 17 years of bad luck, really. Not bad judgment, terrible decision making, terrible organization structure and a general lack of care for the fans while changing the highest prices in the league for an awful team every year. He cares about us and the team! He listens to the people! Phil Jackson, a rookie GM, was the best he could find for $12 million, honest to God!

It's a good thing Dolan has people like you around. You are the perfect person for him. Keep eating up what he is shoveling. I'm sure things will turn around any day under his ownership.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#79 » by Mecca » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:I'm going to post this in every Dolan related thread. Wojnuke.

https://streamable.com/85n65

Woj pretty much hit on everything I said in this thread. A dude born into the 1% that lacks social skills and intelligence with all of this unearned power.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#80 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Mecca wrote:Owning an NBA franchise is no different than owning a large business. And in the field of business, nothing is more important than a strong foundation. An owner with a cerebral attitude and bright mind that understands the importance of leadership x planning x goal setting. Trusted minds at General Manager and Head Coach that provide stability and intellect. Instead, our Owner is the product of eating out of a platinum bowl with a silver spoon.

Being born into his riches, he never went out on his own to the working world, strategically developed relationships with others and building an image. His resume includes a modest Bachelor's in Communications from a middling college. His first relevant job experience was CEO of Cablevision. Think about that. Without truly owning a dollar of his own, he became Owner of the Knicks.
It's evident he lacks communication skills or has the ability to take criticism. His circle is packed with yes-men and he has no clue how to run a business. Thus he goes out and hires brand names without understanding their plan, and just like that our foundation is corrupted.

As long as our Owner is James Dolan, we'll most likely make conspicuous decisions as an organization. From the Oakley incident, to the departure of Marv Albert, to Marbury, to IT, to now Jackson, there's a sense of clueless packed into the organization.. and there's only one greatest common factor. James Silver Spoon Dolan.

I keep harping on this. Finally somebody has come out and said what I've been saying for years. Dolan has always been the common factor. No matter what players or front office this team has, Dolan will find a way to make things worse. I'm starting to question my Knick fanhood because why would I cheer for a team, that's being run by this fool? By the time he sells, I would probably be too old to care.

Return to New York Knicks