ImageImageImageImageImage

Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Re: Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans 

Post#661 » by Tron Carter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:40 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
can't have a dh in the starting lineup who plays defense so bad:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/5

he much better off punishing second units or causing substitution headaches for other teams. knicks will be better too i guarantee it.

Melo is an average defender.
Knicks as a team suck as a defense. Noah has been trash and we have no perimeter defenders.

he's just a troll
dont bother

just like abe and anybody else who posts anything remotely disparaging about our lord and savior carmelo anthony right?

melo has been an absolutely atrocious defender this year by every metric. inb4 i'm called a troll :roll:
R.I.P Black Mamba
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Re: Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans 

Post#662 » by Hemispheres » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 pm

whocares1 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Bleacher Report recently made a list of the worst defenders by position. Carmelo Anthony is the second worst small forward in the entire NBA only behind Andrew Wiggins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697532-nba-metrics-101-the-worst-5-defenders-at-every-position

the whole team dont play defense so what does it matter
that battabing guy wants to bench melo for scrubs like lance thomas and our team will be much better (LOL)

He's the only Knick on that list though. They even commend him for his defensive performance last season and even say that it's pretty inexcusable that he's on the list. Hornacek lost Melo long ago, but as the leader he has to set the example. He should not be on this list.

This x100. Melo in the past has shown he can be an average defender. It's one of the reasons I thought he was a little underrated because people would write him off on defense. This year he has put forth an atrocious and embarrassing effort. It's pathetic and for the first time I'm really starting to sour on him. People can keep making excuses that the whole team is bad but that's bull. I can't believe anyone but the most diehard stans could still be defending him. The type who are more fans of Melo than fans of the Knicks.

He's our "best" player, our supposed leader. The long-tenured veteran of this Knicks team. Yet instead of setting a positive example and getting on other players when they make defensive lapses, he just coasts. Stays Me7o.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#663 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

Knicks as a team suck as a defense. Noah has been trash and we have no perimeter defenders.

he's just a troll
dont bother

just like abe and anybody else who posts anything remotely disparaging about our lord and savior carmelo anthony right?

melo has been an absolutely atrocious defender this year by every metric. inb4 i'm called a troll :roll:

I won't call you a troll.

Melo has been a bad defensive player this year. I'm not using a metric though. I watched all the games. I saw. I also saw the entire team look like trash on defense from top to bottom. Even when Melo isn't on the floor they are trash. When the whole team is this bad my attention goes to the sidelines where the coaches sit...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#664 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:56 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Yeap.

And one guy can make a difference.

Look at Wolves and Bucks. Both lost 20ppg scorers who are awful defenders, and now are playing a lot better.

Not that simple.
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#665 » by Tron Carter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Greenie wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:he's just a troll
dont bother

Melo has been a bad defensive player this year. I'm not using a metric though. I watched all the games. I saw. I also saw the entire team look like trash on defense from top to bottom. Even when Melo isn't on the floor they are trash. When the whole team is this bad my attention goes to the sidelines where the coaches sit...

the longest tenured knick and supposed leader of the team can at the very least set the tone by applying passable effort on defense regardless of schemes or coaching. melo hasn't done that at all this year. last year you saw flashes of that, this year nothing. i'm not just gonna scapegoat jeff for everything dude just flat out doesn't want to defend on any level this season. period.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#666 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Tron Carter wrote:the longest tenured knick and supposed leader of the team can at the very least set the tone by applying passable effort on defense regardless of schemes or coaching. melo hasn't done that at all this year. last year you saw flashes of that, this year nothing. i'm not just gonna scapegoat jeff for everything dude just flat out doesn't want to defend on any level this season. period.

Very true. Or at least take a page from season past. Several years ago the Knicks were in very good defensive ranks because of a blistering hot offense. When you're enjoying nightly blowouts, it tends to skew defensive ranks into your favor. See most of Woodson's coaching tenure as a Knick.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#667 » by MP4LIFE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm

There is always an excuse for Melo. There are no excuses for anyone else.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#668 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:

the longest tenured knick and supposed leader of the team can at the very least set the tone by applying passable effort on defense regardless of schemes or coaching. melo hasn't done that at all this year. last year you saw flashes of that, this year nothing. i'm not just gonna scapegoat jeff for everything dude just flat out doesn't want to defend on any level this season. period.

I hear you but I've never considered Melo to be a leader. Put that with the fact that he's never been a consistent defender and his defense isn't a surprise to me.

I do think he can play consistent average defense though. No, he's not doing that this year. I for one think he needs to be a post defender as he has always been good at that and has been this year as well...but we still have him defending the perimeter.

Him and KP need to move up a position. I think that will help the team defense. Neither need to be chasing a thing on the perimeter.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,497

Post#669 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

he's just a troll
dont bother

did I ever say melo was a good defender?
y'all wanna use melo as a scapegoat for this season. if melo was the only player that wasn't playing defense then I wouldn't care what y'all say about him but the fact is that the WHOLE TEAM plays no defense but you guys insist on putting all of the blame on melo like he's the one coaching the team.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#670 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm

I really don't see how anyone can truly be disappointed. The Knicks have a very good chance to get a really terrific young prospect and none of the current cast are good enough to offset that. In hindsight, I'm glad Phil did nothing at the trade deadline. Also somewhat glad Hornacek is placing the defensive ineptness on the players.

Knicks are knicking right now, keep doing it for the rest of the glorious season.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#671 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:There is always an excuse for Melo. There are no excuses for anyone else.

what's your excuse for the whole team not playing defense? what's your excuse for phil jackson?
let me guess, you're a big phil jackson fan and think he's doing a great job huh. probably a dolan fanboy too
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#672 » by MP4LIFE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:There is always an excuse for Melo. There are no excuses for anyone else.

what's your excuse for the whole team not playing defense? what's your excuse for phil jackson?
let me guess, you're a big phil jackson fan and think he's doing a great job huh. probably a dolan fanboy too

You've never read my posts if that's what you think.

I wouldn't expect you too, anyway. It seems you only read and reply to when Melo is mentioned in a post. It's a trigger. That's too bad, because the Knicks are bigger than Carmelo Anthony.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#673 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

I wouldn't expect you too, anyway. It seems you only read and reply to when Melo is mentioned in a post. It's a trigger. That's too bad, because the Knicks are bigger than Carmelo Anthony.

literally all of your posts is about crying carmelo LOL
this season failed because of phil jackson and the coaching staff. but let's blame melo :roll:
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#674 » by Billy Goat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:28 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:what's your excuse for the whole team not playing defense? what's your excuse for phil jackson?

literally all of your posts is about crying carmelo LOL
this season failed because of phil jackson and the coaching staff. but let's blame melo :roll:

In terms of a guy getting minutes and usage, Melo's been one of the worst players in the league this year.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#675 » by battabing10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:29 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

defense a chain and melo and rose was out there too much together. you can get away with 1 dh but not 2. so it's not melo only but rose and melo and that drag others down. only metric that sort of isolate defense is the drpm:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/9 noah and oquinn rank 36 and 37 centers
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6 kp6 rank 15 pfs
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/5 melo rank 77 sfs
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/2 baker 22 and lee 55 sgs
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/1 rose rank 85 pgs

conclusion break up melo and rose and knicks do better on d. so we replace rose next year with baker or a draft or randle and maybe give melo one more shot as a starter. otherwise to the bench he gotta go if we gonna shoot for 500 ball next year. gotta play d!!!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#676 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 pm

battabing10 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

defense a chain and melo and rose was out there too much together. you can get away with 1 dh but not 2. so it's not melo only but rose and melo and that drag others down. only metric that sort of isolate defense is the drpm:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/9 noah and oquinn rank 36 and 37 centers
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/5 melo rank 77 sfs
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/2 baker 22 and lee 55 sgs
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/DRPM/position/1 rose rank 85 pgs

conclusion break up melo and rose and knicks do better on d. so we replace rose next year with baker or a draft or randle and maybe give melo one more shot as a starter. otherwise to the bench he gotta go if we gonna shoot for 500 ball next year. gotta play d!!!

yes, rose and melo are a terrible fit. we'll see what happens in the draft to weigh out our options. but i still disagree with melo going to the bench. you don't bench all stars. he still has a couple good years left as a starter. he's been the clutchest player in the league this season, that alone says enough about him. he's still a good player. i want to see what hornacek is going to do next season about the defense. if the whole team still isn't playing defense then we have a huge problem. we'll see
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#677 » by Tron Carter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:he's just a troll
dont bother

did I ever say melo was a good defender?
y'all wanna use melo as a scapegoat for this season. if melo was the only player that wasn't playing defense then I wouldn't care what y'all say about him but the fact is that the WHOLE TEAM plays no defense but you guys insist on putting all of the blame on melo like he's the one coaching the team.

where did anyone put all the blame on melo? a poster pointed out how atrocious he's been on defense this year (even for his low standards) and the rebuttals were that melo has been an average defender (which is false) and that said poster is a "troll".

don't call out posters as trolls when they can actually back up what they say with facts. you're in every thread with your Me7o cape and calling out respected posters just because they don't share your same love affair for him as you do. if anything YOU'RE the troll.
R.I.P Black Mamba
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#678 » by battabing10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:what's your excuse for the whole team not playing defense? what's your excuse for phil jackson?

yes, rose and melo are a terrible fit. we'll see what happens in the draft to weigh out our options. but i still disagree with melo going to the bench. you don't bench all stars. he still has a couple good years left as a starter. he's been the clutchest player in the league this season, that alone says enough about him. he's still a good player. i want to see what hornacek is going to do next season about the defense. if the whole team still isn't playing defense then we have a huge problem. we'll see

i say put melo on bench so he don't have to work so hard and he can do what he do best. always minimize weakness and maximize strength for the greater good. not oppose to him starting but i don't think it ideal situation for knicks. he still out there 30 minute a game no matter what.
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#679 » by Tron Carter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
battabing10 wrote:

see, bullschit statements like this is why nobody takes you seriously.
R.I.P Black Mamba
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#680 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
battabing10 wrote:

see, bullschit statements like this is why nobody takes you seriously.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695035-carmelo-anthony-leads-nba-with-third-go-ahead-fg-under-10-seconds-left-in-game
Fact: Carmelo Anthony hit a game-winner for the Knicks against the 76ers on Saturday night. This was his third go-ahead FG with under 10 seconds left in the game this season, most in the NBA.

facts hurt.

Return to New York Knicks