ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,500

Re: Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball 

Post#201 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Reign23 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Reign23 wrote:if we finally land a PG that creates for others why should we trade melo then...
draft ball
keep melo, lee, noah, lance as your vets
develop kp, willy and maybe baker
sign another defense first FA

playoffs next season and bright future ahead.

I feel you. melo would be fun to watch with a real point guard and we should definitely make the playoffs but is playoffs enough for melo? he should be on a team contending for a ring at this point in his career. i really don't want him to leave but it's probably his best choice right now. it's time for him to get a ring

there are 2-3 teams that can win a ring every year. easier said then done.

we'll see what happens i guess
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,189

Post#202 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm

knicks85 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
sims wrote:
the triangle is basically phil's personality test to see who is willing subjugate their own ego and buy into a team concept. all the talk of phil's religious adherence to outdated principles is totally overdone. there's a reason the spurs are who they are, and it's because they do a great job screening for personalities first and foremost. it's clear KP has it. it's clear rose and melo do not. it's also clear ball has it. i kind of can't believe people are already writing ball off as a "bad triangle fit" - he's more or less the perfect phil jackson guard.

Very well put. This is what they are doing.

Now, how didn't they know Rose wouldn't cut it, assuming they didn't? Anyone's guess.

wtf is that magic logo ..

I have recently become very invested in the Orlando Magic. I am very excited by the prospects of their young core processing the lessons of the past few years and going on a nice little run to end the season.

It is my view that any New Yorker that is serious about the future of the league would wish for these fine young players to succeed, and sooner rather than later! So I put up the logo. GO MAGIC!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#203 » by Adelheid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:18 pm

knicks85 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
sims wrote:
the triangle is basically phil's personality test to see who is willing subjugate their own ego and buy into a team concept. all the talk of phil's religious adherence to outdated principles is totally overdone. there's a reason the spurs are who they are, and it's because they do a great job screening for personalities first and foremost. it's clear KP has it. it's clear rose and melo do not. it's also clear ball has it. i kind of can't believe people are already writing ball off as a "bad triangle fit" - he's more or less the perfect phil jackson guard.

Now, how didn't they know Rose wouldn't cut it, assuming they didn't? Anyone's guess.

He prolly is rooting for ORL to win games so we can get deeper in the draft. But that goes for all teams ahead of us not just the Magic
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#204 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Adelheid wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

He prolly is rooting for ORL to win games so we can get deeper in the draft. But that goes for all teams ahead of us not just the Magic

They don't send their wise guys over here though :lol:

Tank trolls are the weirdest trolls.
BAF Clippers

Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#205 » by Shemy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm

You go full rebuild regardless where we end up in the draft, not like melo is young and if this season is any indicator of anything then he's the last player you want near promising young players
"They scared now"
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#206 » by NOOB77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Draft Express has us taking Markkanen at 7 Its going to happen LOL
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#207 » by NYKAL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:
sims wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Just give Ball the ball and hope Phil and his toxic triangle doesn't ruin him. Use the next 2 years to develop chemistry between Ball and KP. Look, the next 2 years are going to be the same as this one. We just need to bite the bullet and take it and hope KP continues to get better and have something good in place for the next regime in 2020.

actually Melo DOES. When we ran the triangle, Melo proved himself to be a more than willing passer. Cal me a Melo lovers if you want but, he gets enough crap here without us creating issues that don't exist. .
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#208 » by NYKAL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
sims wrote:

actually Melo DOES. When we ran the triangle, Melo proved himself to be a more than willing passer. Cal me a Melo lovers if you want but, he gets enough crap here without us creating issues that don't exist. .

as for Rose...Phil rolled the dice on a LOW to NO risk more. He works out...GREAT....if not let him lead the tank. Not sure why guys are so pissed.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,488

Post#209 » by Synciere » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm

If we show get Ball, I'd just ad another PG/SG via free agency and go to war.

I know many of us want KP at the 5, but right now the strength of the team is a front line of Melo/KP/Hernandez. Until we get a big SF who can defend well, we need to upgrade our guard situation.

I don't trust Baker, Holiday, and Randle to get it done long term. I'm a little more bullish on Kuz, but meh...
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#210 » by NYKAL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Synciere wrote:If we show get Ball, I'd just ad another PG/SG via free agency and go to war.

I know many of us want KP at the 5, but right now the strength of the team is a front line of Melo/KP/Hernandez. Until we get a big SF who can defend well, we need to upgrade our guard situation.

I don't trust Baker, Holiday, and Randle to get it done long term. I'm a little more bullish on Kuz, but meh...

I'm all for that but, but, I'd also like to keep rose and shift Rose to shooting guard on the 2nd lineup. Nothing wrong with having a merc on offense. Haven't heard any argument against this. If he has proved anything its that he can still score, just doesn't have a point guards mentality.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#211 » by Synciere » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:Draft Express has us taking Markkanen at 7 Its going to happen LOL

A lot of people make fun of that pick but I think it makes a lot of sense. As much as we need guards, we could use another elite inside/outside big man. Markannen isn't bad defensively either. A big part of this new stretch the floor, shoot the 3 age are multifaceted bigs like KP. Markanennen could end up being BPA later in the top ten.
Synciere
Head Coach

Post#212 » by Synciere » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Synciere wrote:If we show get Ball, I'd just ad another PG/SG via free agency and go to war.

I'm all for that but, but, I'd also like to keep rose and shift Rose to shooting guard on the 2nd lineup. Nothing wrong with having a merc on offense. Haven't heard any argument against this. If he has proved anything its that he can still score, just doesn't have a point guards mentality.

I wouldn't mind keeping Rose on a relatively short/cheap deal either, but Phil ramming the triangle down their throats limits Rose offensively. He's not the greatest defender, so if you're going to keep Rose, don't you want him gunning and going full steam ahead off the pick and roll game? Just not sure he's the best fit, so unless we're signing him to something like half of our cap space, might just have to let him go.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#213 » by NYKAL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Synciere wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

I wouldn't mind keeping Rose on a relatively short/cheap deal either, but Phil ramming the triangle down their throats limits Rose offensively. He's not the greatest defender, so if you're going to keep Rose, don't you want him gunning and going full steam ahead off the pick and roll game? Just not sure he's the best fit, so unless we're signing him to something like half of our cap space, might just have to let him go.

if Phil is going to require Coach to adhere to it, then NO, he needs to go but, I'm hoping they are emphasizing it so when the Coach adds parts of it to his offense, they will know where they need to be, especially on defense.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#214 » by Coeur » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Lou Williams would be a great target if ball or fultz are the pick.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,349

Post#215 » by rajajackal » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 pm

js ball would be the perfect guard to put next to westbrook
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#216 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:Draft Express has us taking Markkanen at 7 Its going to happen LOL

As discussed in the draft thread - that's based on their current ranking of prospects and not intel into team thinking. They simply assign a prospect to a team based on their current draft position. The team need specificity doesn't come until right before the draft.
BAF Clippers

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#217 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:52 pm

If we are all for getting Ball, and sounds like many of you guys are excited about him as a prospect... why haven't we joined the Suns or Lakers in the "Lonzo Ball" Ball ??? Let's lose out. 12 games left... lose them all and we almost solidify a top 4 pick.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#218 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 pm

The fact Lavar Ball took a swipe at Lebron James, makes me even more excited at the prospect of the Knicks grabbing this kid. :lol:

As for Phil trading for Derrick Rose, keep in mind Hornacek was pushing for an Alpha Point Guard. The Knicks were shut out in free agency. Then almost NO ONE would trade with the Knicks unless New York included a first rounder. Phil was open to abandoning the triangle in certain stretches. Well, Rose came to the Knicks. Hornacek's offense STUNK.

So now, Phil's like, "Ok. We tried it your way. We're doing it MY way now."
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#219 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Synciere wrote:

A lot of people make fun of that pick but I think it makes a lot of sense. As much as we need guards, we could use another elite inside/outside big man. Markannen isn't bad defensively either. A big part of this new stretch the floor, shoot the 3 age are multifaceted bigs like KP. Markanennen could end up being BPA later in the top ten.

He's much closer to being a bad defender than he is to being an above average one.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#220 » by Greenie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:03 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
sims wrote:

Bingo.

Return to New York Knicks