ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Re: Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball 

Post#41 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 am

Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:Nah, I want BAM from Kentucky to be the PF if we are trading Melo. He would fit next to KP well and is uber athletic.

he's a good option too but i was thinking we should try to get someone who can get buckets instantly. i mean we're still going to need a go-to guy even with lonzo and KP. next year's draft is loaded with forwards. if we're going to replace melo, next season is the perfect time to do it

Ahhh
Ok

I would definitely call Charlotte about MKG then. I don't want to see Melo playing SF ever again. Next year we take a PF to replace Melo.

KP
Melo
MKG
Lee
Ball

That's a solid team. If we can swindle a young SG prospect from a team we could have a solid, young starting lineup a year and a half from now.

i can ride with that for sure
there's this guy that's going to be a second round pick in this draft that's 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan and can guard 3-5. what do you think of him? we could potentially get our melo replacement right now. he's super low key
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#42 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 am

ChaosHamster wrote:KP was solid defender at PF last year..

This year is still arguably the best defender in the starting line-up, at PF.

Lets see how it looks when three out of 5 starting player will not be black holes on defense.

KP has looked like pure trash defending PF's and don't let it be one that can shoot. It pulls him from the basket and makes him chase. He's not good at that and no poster on this board who has actually watched the games and not just stats would say he has been good at defending PF's.

Last year Robin covered a lot of crap up.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#43 » by spree8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 am

Greenie wrote:
spree8 wrote:Easy...

Trade Melo to LAL for Ingram, Deng, Mozgov, HOU 17' 1st

Trade KOQ for a 2018 1st

Draft a backup pg/wing duo with the HOU 1st and our best 2nd rounder: Frank Mason III/Dwayne Bacon or Jawun Evans/Josh Hart.

Let DRose walk. Re-sign Randle

Lonzo Ball | Frank Mason III | Chasson Randle
Courtney Lee | Ron Baker
Brandon Ingram | Dwayne Bacon | Kuzminskas
Kristaps Porzingis | Luol Deng | Lance Thomas
Willy Hernangomez | Joakim Noah | M. Plumlee

IR: Mozgov

I don't like any lineup with KP at PF. Stop that mess this year.

I hear ya...I'd like to strictly have him at the 5 too, but I don't wanna trade Willy cuz #1 that's KP's boy, & #2 he's awesome, and we drafted him.

I mentioned before how coach just needs to set the rotations to where they can start the game, but not necessarily play every minute together.

But when the duo gives us mismatches to exploit, use it...like the Thunder did with Adams and Kanter against the GSW last year. I'd give it a shot, and if for some reason it couldn't work long term, then bring Willy off the bench.
spree8
RealGM

Post#44 » by spree8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 am

NY2TheBay wrote:

Trade KOQ for a 2018 1st

Draft a backup pg/wing duo with the HOU 1st and our best 2nd rounder: Frank Mason III/Dwayne Bacon or Jawun Evans/Josh Hart.

Courtney Lee | Ron Baker

Love the idea but this wouldn't happen. LAL is going with youth and rebuild mode. They wouldn't part with Ingram for Cousins don't see them doing it for Melo.

You gotta figure that it was Jim and Mitch that wouldn't part with Ingram when in fact their whole organization was split 50/50 and in confusion leading up the the decision on whether to do it or not.

Now that Rob and Magic and Jeanie are running things, Jeanie has made it clear this is not how the Lakers culture should be...meaning rebuilding for this long. They're looking to compete asap after they secure a huge asset: the top 3 pick this year.

This trade would allow them the cap space to pursue BOTH Westbrook & PG in 2018 FA...even if Melo stays and doesn't opt out.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#45 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:he's a good option too but i was thinking we should try to get someone who can get buckets instantly. i mean we're still going to need a go-to guy even with lonzo and KP. next year's draft is loaded with forwards. if we're going to replace melo, next season is the perfect time to do it

Ahhh
Ok

I would definitely call Charlotte about MKG then. I don't want to see Melo playing SF ever again. Next year we take a PF to replace Melo.

KP
Melo
MKG
Lee
Ball

That's a solid team. If we can swindle a young SG prospect from a team we could have a solid, young starting lineup a year and a half from now.

there's this guy that's going to be a second round pick in this draft that's 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan and can guard 3-5. what do you think of him? we could potentially get our melo replacement right now. he's super low key

Wow.
Where is he projected to go?

He would be perfect next to KP
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by NY2TheBay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 am

spree8 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

Trade KOQ for a 2018 1st

Courtney Lee | Ron Baker

Love the idea but this wouldn't happen. LAL is going with youth and rebuild mode. They wouldn't part with Ingram for Cousins don't see them doing it for Melo.

You gotta figure that it was Jim and Mitch that wouldn't part with Ingram when in fact their whole organization was split 50/50 and in confusion leading up the the decision on whether to do it or not.

Now that Rob and Magic and Jeanie are running things, Jeanie has made it clear this is not how the Lakers culture should be...meaning rebuilding for this long. They're looking to compete asap after they secure a huge asset: the top 3 pick this year.

This trade would allow them the cap space to pursue BOTH Westbrook & PG in 2018 FA...even if Melo stays and doesn't opt out.

Point taken.

Still don't see it happening but I see your ideology.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#47 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 am

Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:Ahhh
Ok

KP
Melo
MKG
Lee
Ball

Wow.

56th pick believe it or not. we should pick him up with one of our second round picks. a couple weeks ago i saw this tweet of him" this guy may be the best australian basketball player not named ben simmons" . i clicked on the link and i was blown away. ever since i've been trying to hype him up. this kid can really do it all.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Greenie
RealGM

Post#48 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i can ride with that for sure

Wow.

56th pick believe it or not. we should pick him up with one of our second round picks. a couple weeks ago i saw this tweet of him" this guy may be the best australian basketball player not named ben simmons" . i clicked on the link and i was blown away. ever since i've been trying to hype him up. this kid can really do it all.

We need to jump all over him.
What are his weaknesses?
spree8
RealGM

Post#49 » by spree8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 am

Perfect player to put next to KP is Mo Bamba...dude is like Noel/ADavis...from NY too.

Just gotta get a top 3-5 pick next year lol.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#50 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 am

Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:Wow.

What are his weaknesses?

i honestly don't know. there's not much out there about him. all i know is that when he was at UCLA last year he wasn't utilized right. you can really see the difference between him from last year and now, it's day and night. i'd take him just based on his skill set and potential. the kid can shoot it lights out, create his shot from anywhere, solid rebounder, has an impact on defense due to his size and length. we should pull the trigger on him, he's too good to pass up on. i also want us to pick up dwayne bacon with our other second rounder. he looks like a solid shooting guard. he's been carrying FSU all season. knicks could really have this rebuild done right now if they do it right

lonzo
bacon
mkg? (or someone else i guess)
bolden
porzingis

that could really be a dangerous team
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#51 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

Knicks get Ball, then we know over 8.5 million Knick fans sold their soul to the devil.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,896

Post#52 » by DaGawd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 am

spree8 wrote:Perfect player to put next to KP is Mo Bamba...dude is like Noel/ADavis...from NY too.

Just gotta get a top 3-5 pick next year lol.

We'll probably be there if we get rid of Melo and other vets
BaF
Washington Wizards
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,651

Re: RE: Re: Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball 

Post#53 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:32 am

NY2TheBay wrote:

Trade KOQ for a 2018 1st

Courtney Lee | Ron Baker

LA was going to part with Ingram for Cousins. Kupchak and Buss fuqed it up. That's why they got fired because theybdidn't report it soon enough.

Once LA protects its pick they will be in business again.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using RealGM mobile app
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#54 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am

The Knicks should trade Melo regardless of who they get in the draft in my opinion. It's time to go a different direction. Melo is still a good player but nto capable of being a primary option on a very good team. His role in the NBA now should be scoring support to a contending team.

He's also serving as a detriment to the touches that KP gets, though more of that could be on Rose......

Honestly, though, if Ball is what he is billed to be, the Knicks might actually want to Keep Melo....

Ball/Melo/KP/Willy is the foundation of a great offense...I just wonder if our defense will ever be able to catch up with Melo and Willy playing big minutes. Also, if Ball isn't as good as he is billed to be right away, then having Melo taking lots of touches from him could also hurt.

I'm praying for a tank job to end all tank jobs and to see the Knicks get Ball and trade Melo, Lee, and Lance. That way we go into the 18' season with Ball and KP having free reign over the court.

However....having a lineup of

Ball
Lee
Lance
Melo
KP

would be pretty fun to watch.

Though I think the limitations of our personnel have been very glaring so far this season

Melo isn't a great small forward anymore, so he is best served offensively and defensively as a power forward...

KP is fine offensively at either position but clearly isn't big enough to hold up as a C full time and not quick enough to chase PF's around the wing.

C lee is getting up there in age and is fine defensively, but struggles during switches...

Rose is....Rose....

ETC

we offer very little in the way of versatility and offensive pieces are at odds with each other. Maximizing KP's strengths means finding a C that can guard the post AND switch out on to forwards on the perimeter a la Dray or Thompson, but those are tough to find.

Maximizing Melo's strengths means putting him at the 4 and putting a rim protector behind him to make up for his perimeter deficiencies a la Tyson on the Mavs with Dirk. Again hard to find.

Both of those situations are at odds with each other, and the latter takes away from KP's development.

Of course, that could all be helped immensely by stopping the ball at the point of attack, since both KP and MElo have proven to be solid help defenders, and even Melo has done well from what I've seen defending even good offensive players in isolation. It's when the ball is moving and shooters are taking us off the dribble on the perimeter that we have a serious issue, and, since this is 2017 in the NBA, that's the norm.

In fact, there's only one team I can think of that is actually not playing ball that way. You know, playing heavy in isolation, slowing the ball down, posting up a lot, taking long two's in iso against set defenses and what not....

hmhmhmhm which team is that...you know, the one that isn't shooting a lot of 3's, getting a lot of assists, or getting to the line much at all.....hmhmhmhmhmhm

What is the name of this team....it starts with a silent K. I think it's Dutch in origin. That Kn sound like Knight, Knackers, Knack, Knudt, and Knife. Something like that.

Ugh, what is the name of that team that is playing like it's 2003 and sporting one of the worst defenses and barely average offenses despite heavy offensive talent.

UGH

HELP ME!!!!!

KN...KNI?....KNI...C?

Is it the Knicks?!?!?!
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#55 » by FKF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am

Bill Pidto wrote:What do they do?

As good as this kid is, I say you def go ahead with the rebuild, and at least trade Melo. I'm all for trading C Lee as well. Between the two guys, hopefully you trim some salary and you pick up 2 mid-late firsts, or a first and some second rounders, or some combination of pick/young players with upside. Maybe that's a pipe dream in itself, maybe not. But either way-

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Two 2nd rounders coming as well. As long as you shed Melo and Rose, who in the NBA will have a better situation in terms of youth/talent/flexibility? Definitely some, but not many.

Ball and KP is such a fantastic combination, you couldn't dream it up. If the Knicks pull it off, the dark days will immediately and finally be behind us. Instant championship? Hell no. A quantum leap from where the Knicks are now and where they were before KP was drafted? Forget about it..

Only realistic option I believe will be to trade Melo to LAC for Jamal, Rivers & a Clippers 1st in 2018 (they don't own one this draft).
I'm fine with keeping Lee at the moment. He'll look better on a team which moves the ball better.
Then waive Jamal. Resign Baker.

Ball/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee

then we get to pick twice in the 1st round in 2018.

That said, if we do get lucky in the lottery and sit #1, I'd rather pick Fultz.
At #2, I'd consider Josh Jackson, and resign D-Rose.

Rose/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Jackson/Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#56 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

FKF wrote:

As good as this kid is, I say you def go ahead with the rebuild, and at least trade Melo. I'm all for trading C Lee as well. Between the two guys, hopefully you trim some salary and you pick up 2 mid-late firsts, or a first and some second rounders, or some combination of pick/young players with upside. Maybe that's a pipe dream in itself, maybe not. But either way-

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Two 2nd rounders coming as well. As long as you shed Melo and Rose, who in the NBA will have a better situation in terms of youth/talent/flexibility? Definitely some, but not many.

Ball and KP is such a fantastic combination, you couldn't dream it up. If the Knicks pull it off, the dark days will immediately and finally be behind us. Instant championship? Hell no. A quantum leap from where the Knicks are now and where they were before KP was drafted? Forget about it..

Only realistic option I believe will be to trade Melo to LAC for Jamal, Rivers & a Clippers 1st in 2018 (they don't own one this draft).
I'm fine with keeping Lee at the moment. He'll look better on a team which moves the ball better.

Ball/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee

Rose/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Jackson/Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee

Clippers can't trade their 2018 pick and that trade is absolute **** even with that pick.

Re-signing Rose is another **** idea.
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#57 » by FKF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
FKF wrote:

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Ball/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee

Rose/Baker/Randle
Lee/Rivers/Holiday
Jackson/Lance/Kuz
KP/KO
Will/Noah/Plumlee

Clippers can't trade their 2018 pick and that trade is absolute **** even with that pick.

Re-signing Rose is another **** idea.

True, my mistake. Call it the New York Knicks rule. Then get the 2021 pick.

Melo's NTC doesn't help to negotiate a good trade. We need to try to get a pick out of someon'e hand Melo would approve.

If we don't get a PG in the draft, and we can have Rose for cheap for one year, then we should consider.
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
spree8
RealGM

Post#58 » by spree8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:38 pm

We are supposed to say what we think will happen or should happen if we draft Lonzo.

In this scenario, come FA, DRose's agent wouldn't even have his phone calls returned by Phil.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#59 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
Greenie wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
You're right.

He is the type to take 25 shots a game at 34 years old.

This is what people are talking about. What's with the low blows at all times?

Why is that a low blow? Is that not true?

A low blow would be something that isn't true.

Carmelo Anthony has never ever taken 25 shots a game (not even close). But regardless of the factual inaccuracy the statement is clearly condescending. I would be like me calling a fat person a frickin whale and being shocked about how that statement might be taken negatively.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#60 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:56th pick believe it or not. we should pick him up with one of our second round picks. a couple weeks ago i saw this tweet of him" this guy may be the best australian basketball player not named ben simmons" . i clicked on the link and i was blown away. ever since i've been trying to hype him up. this kid can really do it all.

What are his weaknesses?

i honestly don't know. there's not much out there about him. all i know is that when he was at UCLA last year he wasn't utilized right. you can really see the difference between him from last year and now, it's day and night. i'd take him just based on his skill set and potential. the kid can shoot it lights out, create his shot from anywhere, solid rebounder, has an impact on defense due to his size and length. we should pull the trigger on him, he's too good to pass up on. i also want us to pick up dwayne bacon with our other second rounder. he looks like a solid shooting guard. he's been carrying FSU all season. knicks could really have this rebuild done right now if they do it right

lonzo
bacon
mkg? (or someone else i guess)
bolden
porzingis

that could really be a dangerous team

How old is Bolden?

Return to New York Knicks