ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Fury's #9 FTW! - Picking 7th Currently (Also, no to Isaac.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,362

Re: Draft Thread Fury's #9 FTW! - Picking 7th Currently (Also, no to Isaac.) 

Post#1841 » by Guano » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 am

shtolky wrote:
Guano wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
I'm going to freak out if we don't draft a pg. It's a joke at this point how long we have needed a pg.

last heavy pg draft we f*cked up our tank and ended up with a sh*tty big - history has a way of repeating itself.

*well actually*
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
RealGM
And1: 39,202

Post#1842 » by 2010 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 am

Mecca wrote:
FemaleDogPlease wrote:
Jay10 wrote:
You're wasting your time. Just sit back and read their responses on draft night after Phil drafts Frank or someone else instead of DSJr and a few others mentioned.

Some people didn't pay attention to Phil's chronicles about short point guards, yet they believe Phil is going to waste his draft pick on a player that is 6'1" or 6'2".

I see Phil drafting Frank Ntilikina (6'5) with the 7th pick, or trading down and taking Terrance Ferguson (6'7).

Big PGs like Iman Shumpert always pan out in the NBA.

/Green

Shump wasn't drafted to be a PG, and Shump would've panned out better if he didn't lose his bounce with the ACL

Shump actually was drafted to play PG:

“I think with our team offensively, he probably will play more point than he will two guard, because Chauncey can play ‘two’ probably as good as anybody,” Walsh said. “I think he can run pick-and-roll, I think he’ll see the play, and he’ll get better at it.”
- Donnie Walsh
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/sports/basketball/knicks-take-georgia-tech-guard-shumpert.html

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#1843 » by whocares1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 am

K-DOT wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Guano wrote:
last heavy pg draft we f*cked up our tank and ended up with a sh*tty big - history has a way of repeating itself.

Difference is that management wanted one player and only one player. They had no real plan B. Let's hope that's not the case this time.

And they told everyone who that one player they wanted was

Im not sure how that mattered. The mistake was not being in a position to draft him. Golden State wanted him they just weren't as public about it, it's not like Knicks wanting him uncovered him to the rest of the league.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#1844 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 am

islanders11040 wrote:
Jay10 wrote:
Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:
Pg isn't and shouldn’t be a priority because we run the triangle.

You guys need to understand that. Thats why guys like dsjr were always pipe dreams. A ball Dominant
Guard is not what we need and its not what phil wants.

You're wasting your time. Just sit back and read their responses on draft night after Phil drafts Frank or someone else instead of DSJr and a few others mentioned.

Some people didn't pay attention to Phil's chronicles about short point guards, yet they believe Phil is going to waste his draft pick on a player that is 6'1" or 6'2".

I see Phil drafting Frank Ntilikina (6'5) with the 7th pick, or trading down and taking Terrance Ferguson (6'7).

Then why did Phil trade for Rose? You may say that he will think he made a mistake and won't ever make a move like that again, but it's still a decision made by phil thats counter to the assumed Phil way of thinking. No one really knows what decision he will make on draft day for sure.

This
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#1845 » by Oscirus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 am

whocares1 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Difference is that management wanted one player and only one player. They had no real plan B. Let's hope that's not the case this time.

And they told everyone who that one player they wanted was

Im not sure how that mattered. The mistake was not being in a position to draft him. Golden State wanted him they just weren't as public about it, it's not like Knicks wanting him uncovered him to the rest of the league.

Yea, I don't see how anybody would think that people would look at the Knicks as a model of scouting excellencel. Hell, Curry even refused to work out for GS and they still drafted him.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1846 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 am

2010 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
FemaleDogPlease wrote:

Big PGs like Iman Shumpert always pan out in the NBA.

/Green

Shump wasn't drafted to be a PG, and Shump would've panned out better if he didn't lose his bounce with the ACL

“I think with our team offensively, he probably will play more point than he will two guard, because Chauncey can play ‘two’ probably as good as anybody,” Walsh said. “I think he can run pick-and-roll, I think he’ll see the play, and he’ll get better at it.”
- Donnie Walsh
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/sports/basketball/knicks-take-georgia-tech-guard-shumpert.html

Except he was playing the 2 almost 80% of the time. He barely ever ran the 1 as a Knick.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1847 » by whocares1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 am

Mecca wrote:
2010 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

- Donnie Walsh

Except he was playing the 2 almost 80% of the time. He barely ever ran the 1 as a Knick.

You're right but that's not what he said. If that Walsh quote is true then Shump WAS drafted to play point guard. It just didn't happen.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#1848 » by koogiking » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:11 am

Walsh compared Landry Fields to John Havlicek
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1849 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 am

whocares1 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
2010 wrote:

- Donnie Walsh

You're right but that's not what he said. If that Walsh quote is true then Shump WAS drafted to play point guard. It just didn't happen.

You're trying too hard. He barely ever played point with us so your point is moot.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1850 » by whocares1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 am

Mecca wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

You're trying too hard. He barely ever played point with us so your point is moot.

It's not even my point. It was his..just saying he's technically right if that's what Walsh said.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,941

Post#1851 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 am

Guano wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Kill me for this, but if DSJ is off the board, and it comes down to Frank or Isaac I'm picking Isaac and playing him at the 4.

I like his range, mobility, and defensive potential.

I'm going to freak out if we don't draft a pg. It's a joke at this point how long we have needed a pg.

2009? messed up the tank?

team went 7-15 over the last 22... 4-13 over last 17. team was trash from december on. i think 2 short win streaks in january, but straight basura after that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1852 » by WargamesX » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 am

Mecca wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

If I remember right they asked him to work on his handle over the offseason twice to improve it enough to play PG but he was too busy doing promotional work with the NBA overseas
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,941

Post#1853 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 am

Oscirus wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:And they told everyone who that one player they wanted was

Yea, I don't see how anybody would think that people would look at the Knicks as a modeling of scouting potential. Hell, Curry even refused to work out for GS and they still drafted him.

people really think curry and NYK's mutual interest is the reason GS took him? that's silly.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1854 » by N Y K » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 am

mocks mean nothing, but i must say how pleased i am to see how often they have us taking fox at seven
Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Post#1855 » by Knickerbock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 am

I was not willing to take the risk with Frank before.. When we were looking at the 4-5-6 seed...

But now that we are in the 7-8-9 pick range.. I am okay with going for Frank Nitlikina..

At worst he will be a defensive guard who can handle and shoot the ball some.. and bring some much needed intelligence to this Knicks roster..
Knickerbock
Sixth Man

Post#1856 » by Knickerbock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 am

koogiking wrote:Walsh compared Landry Fields to John Havlicek

I miss Landry Fields.. His rookie season was fun to watch.. Loved his put back dunks on missed free throws!
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1857 » by WargamesX » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 am

Knickerbock wrote:I was not willing to take the risk with Frank before.. When we were looking at the 4-5-6 seed...

But now that we are in the 7-8-9 pick range.. I am okay with going for Frank Nitlikina..

At worst he will be a defensive guard who can handle and shoot the ball some.. and bring some much needed intelligence to this Knicks roster..

I actually think if they draft Frank it will be to play mostly 2 guard and they might look to start Baker at PG next year (with randle as his backup) since the two of them seem to understand the offense best.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#1858 » by FemaleDogPlease » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 am

Shumpert was drafted as a big PG and sucked as a PG.

whocares1
General Manager

Post#1859 » by whocares1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 am

PorzinGAWD wrote:
Knickerbock wrote:I was not willing to take the risk with Frank before.. When we were looking at the 4-5-6 seed...

I actually think if they draft Frank it will be to play mostly 2 guard and they might look to start Baker at PG next year (with randle as his backup) since the two of them seem to understand the offense best.

Sounds like Phil's trying to build the 16-17 Miami Heat.
Knickerbock
Sixth Man

Post#1860 » by Knickerbock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 am

FemaleDogPlease wrote:Shumpert was drafted as a big PG and sucked as a PG.

Shumpert was a SG from Day 1...

But Knicks experimented running him at point... Which worked defensively but failed on the other end.. Mostly ended up giving the ball into iso Melo or handing it over to JR smith..

Frank Nitilkina likes to play off the ball.. But he can actually play point guard.

Return to New York Knicks