ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Re: Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1 

Post#121 » by crazybranman360 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:17 pm

knicks85 wrote:
riter wrote:
crazybranman360 wrote:Knicks Get: Evan Turner, Ed Davis, Austin Rivers
Blazers Get: Jamal Crawford
Clippers Get: Melo

I think this is the best deal we can get for Melo. I don't see Cleveland beating this offer nor do I see Melo accepting a trade anywhere besides LAC or Cleveland. Turner, Rivers, and Davis aren't really talented players but I don' they get in the way or hurt the team. If we are building the team around Pozingis, the triangle, and perhaps whoever we draft this year, those three can all be quality/average/fine role players in said system. 3 average roles players is not a bad return for a guy who will only accept a trade to two or three teams and have negative trade value overall.

What do you guys think. Can we do any better than this?

this is a great trade. We get an instant bench, portland drops a ton of salary, and Melo is in LA to play next to Jordan and CP3.
oh, and La La in LA

I have no idea why we want ed Davis or Evan turner ...I take love every time over that package

Of course I'd rather have Kevin Love! Why would the Cavs give up Kevin Love for Melo though? They could either get Melo for less or get more for Kevin Love
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,829

Post#122 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:28 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:Hey Knicks fans, don't you think Phil was dissing Melo by saying "right now we need players who are really active, who can play every single play on both ends of the court".

Well, it can't be criticism if it's facts :lol:

damn no outrage! I've never heard any GM talk about their players like that even the end of bench players! OMG this is like when you got this GF who just won't leave after you broke up with her. Phil isn't helping his own cause either. who the heck wants an old disinterested ball hog?
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,063

Post#123 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:37 pm

crazybranman360 wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
riter wrote:
this is a great trade. We get an instant bench, portland drops a ton of salary, and Melo is in LA to play next to Jordan and CP3.
oh, and La La in LA

I have no idea why we want ed Davis or Evan turner ...I take love every time over that package

Of course I'd rather have Kevin Love! Why would the Cavs give up Kevin Love for Melo though? They could either get Melo for less or get more for Kevin Love

Because they need to match contracts and Melo would make love expendable
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#124 » by jakoub » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Chuck-Cheese wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote: if bos ultimately decides to move the pick and add crowder to the package, they at going after butler not Melo. Celts would not trade a top 3 pick and add crowder for Melo

I think the point being it's a pick swap. They'll still have a top 8 pick this year, from us. So they get better this year and still have another young guy to groom while they make championship runs.
I understand but in order for the celts or any team to give up a package like this, the knicks would need multiple teams to be involved to drive up the price. First, I'm not sure the celts are even interested in melo and second, if they are, another team would need to offer a comparable combo of players and picks. The celts are not going to just give up crowder and maybe the number 1 pick if they are not bidding against anyone else. Again, for this package, I'm guessing they would prefer butler or George.

This is just a pipe-dream desire that i conjured up in my mind. A lot of variables are not yet known to make that make any melo trade fathomable. Lets say the celts get the first pick in the draft and the knicks, with a horseshoe up phil's ass gets the third. You don't think the celts would be willing to entertain a pick swap to get melo if all they have to do is move down 2 spots in the draft. Lets see how well Bos does against the bulls.
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#125 » by J9Starks3 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm

jakoub wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:
I think the point being it's a pick swap. They'll still have a top 8 pick this year, from us. So they get better this year and still have another young guy to groom while they make championship runs.
I understand but in order for the celts or any team to give up a package like this, the knicks would need multiple teams to be involved to drive up the price. First, I'm not sure the celts are even interested in melo and second, if they are, another team would need to offer a comparable combo of players and picks. The celts are not going to just give up crowder and maybe the number 1 pick if they are not bidding against anyone else. Again, for this package, I'm guessing they would prefer butler or George.

This is just a pipe-dream desire that i conjured up in my mind. A lot of variables are not yet known to make that make any melo trade fathomable. Lets say the celts get the first pick in the draft and the knicks, with a horseshoe up phil's ass gets the third. You don't think the celts would be willing to entertain a pick swap to get melo if all they have to do is move down 2 spots in the draft. Lets see how well Bos does against the bulls.

They may still be able to use the #3 in that scenario to get Butler or George too. Personally if I'm them I still just keep Fultz.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,089

Post#126 » by Jeffrey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:46 pm

knicks85 wrote:
crazybranman360 wrote:
knicks85 wrote:I have no idea why we want ed Davis or Evan turner ...I take love every time over that package

I'm hoping for the Cavs, clippers to lose really early in the playoffs so one of the aging superstars puts a gun into the GMs head and say, "WE WANT MELO or else".
crazybranman360
Starter

Post#127 » by crazybranman360 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
crazybranman360 wrote:

I'm hoping for the Cavs, clippers to lose really early in the playoffs so one of the aging superstars puts a gun into the GMs head and say, "WE WANT MELO or else".

Maybe they want Melo but all they have to beat is the offer from the other team.

Cavs would offer Shumpert/JR-Frye + Clippers would offer Rivers-Crawford. If the Cavs are determined to trade Love they can get a better return than Melo
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,063

Post#128 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:16 pm

crazybranman360 wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
knicks85 wrote:Because they need to match contracts and Melo would make love expendable

Maybe they want Melo but all they have to beat is the offer from the other team.

Cavs would offer Shumpert/JR-Frye + Clippers would offer Rivers-Crawford. If the Cavs are determined to trade Love they can get a better return than Melo

This is insane...they would never offer that package...and as much as I dislike Melo he is more talented than love by a decent margin
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,848

Post#129 » by spree8 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 pm

That Heat trade someone posted from somebody else on Twitter is the best.

I could see them doing Winslow & #14 (& Bosh's or McBob's contract) for Melo if they got word Wade was interested in coming back during FA.

Dragic | Tyler
Wade | Waiters
JRich | Ellington | Babbitt
Melo | JJohnson
Whiteside | Reed

Isn't bad.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,089

Post#130 » by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 am

spree8 wrote:That Heat trade someone posted from somebody else on Twitter is the best.

I could see them doing Winslow & #14 (& Bosh's or McBob's contract) for Melo if they got word Wade was interested in coming back during FA.

Dragic | Tyler
Wade | Waiters
Melo | JJohnson
Whiteside | Reed

Isn't bad.

That is a nice package. If CP3 exits early, anyone thinks he might go with Miami? I would do Dragic, McBob and #14 for Melo and our 2nd rounders.

BTw, Waiters will never go back to the bench after the season he had. He and a few other Miami players willed themselves to the playoffs.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,848

Post#131 » by spree8 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 am

Jeffrey wrote:
spree8 wrote:That Heat trade someone posted from somebody else on Twitter is the best.

Dragic | Tyler
Wade | Waiters
Melo | JJohnson
Whiteside | Reed

Isn't bad.

That is a nice package. If CP3 exits early, anyone thinks he might go with Miami? I would do Dragic, McBob and #14 for Melo and our 2nd rounders.

BTw, Waiters will never go back to the bench after the season he had. He and a few other Miami players willed themselves to the playoffs.

I think Waiters would...he's 6th man and backing up DWade...no shame in that, and Wade is always hurt so there will be plenty of times he will start...and this isn't long term as Wade only has so much time left. No biggie imo.
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#132 » by Chuck-Cheese » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 am

jakoub wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:

I guess it would depend on how much they value the player they have ranked number one vs number three. Do they view Faulz as a potential superstar vs Ball or Jackson who maybe they view as a solid NBA starter. If that's the case then no I don't think they make that trade. Now what if they are able to sign a tip tier free agent without giving up or exchanging picks. Ainge may like that better. They also may view trading the top pick to get butler or George as a better option than exchanging the pick for an aging Melo. So no, I think there are several alternatives that are much better than taking on an aging Melo. Nothing personal. PS - the celts will do better than the knicks against th bulls.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#133 » by andyhop » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:24 am

jakoub wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:

Forget the problem with the picks I don't think that the Celtics would swap Crowder for Melo straight up
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
jakoub
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by jakoub » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:07 am

Chuck-Cheese wrote:
jakoub wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote: I understand but in order for the celts or any team to give up a package like this, the knicks would need multiple teams to be involved to drive up the price. First, I'm not sure the celts are even interested in melo and second, if they are, another team would need to offer a comparable combo of players and picks. The celts are not going to just give up crowder and maybe the number 1 pick if they are not bidding against anyone else. Again, for this package, I'm guessing they would prefer butler or George.

I guess it would depend on how much they value the player they have ranked number one vs number three. Do they view Faulz as a potential superstar vs Ball or Jackson who maybe they view as a solid NBA starter. If that's the case then no I don't think they make that trade. Now what if they are able to sign a tip tier free agent without giving up or exchanging picks. Ainge may like that better. They also may view trading the top pick to get butler or George as a better option than exchanging the pick for an aging Melo. So no, I think there are several alternatives that are much better than taking on an aging Melo. Nothing personal. PS - the celts will do better than the knicks against th bulls.

I think george would only consider indy or LAL once his contract expires. If they go after butler they would have to give up a lotto pick as well as a package bradley, crowder.
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
jakoub
Pro Prospect

Post#135 » by jakoub » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 am

andyhop wrote:
jakoub wrote:
Chuck-Cheese wrote: I understand but in order for the celts or any team to give up a package like this, the knicks would need multiple teams to be involved to drive up the price. First, I'm not sure the celts are even interested in melo and second, if they are, another team would need to offer a comparable combo of players and picks. The celts are not going to just give up crowder and maybe the number 1 pick if they are not bidding against anyone else. Again, for this package, I'm guessing they would prefer butler or George.

Forget the problem with the picks I don't think that the Celtics would swap Crowder for Melo straight up

I'm just creating a scenario in which Bos exits in the first round and are desperate for a player who can take the scoring load off thomas. I went in knowing there is a slim to none chance that this will happen. I did add Kuz and koq as well just saying....
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#136 » by Coeur » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Carmelo and KP for chandler, jameer Nelson and Darrell aurthur, hernangomez, 3 1sts
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#137 » by seren » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 am

crazybranman360 wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
knicks85 wrote:Because they need to match contracts and Melo would make love expendable

Just wondering what the better return than Melo would be. Any names on your mind?
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,217

Post#138 » by Kampuchea » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 am

We should be looking at playoff teams to find one for Melo, how about Indiana?
GnarlsOakley
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#139 » by GnarlsOakley » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 am

Best scenario IMO:

Melo to ATL for Millsap, Dunleavy + picks

Knicks draft Frank Ntilikina, sign Shaun Livingston, re-sign Justin Holiday & Ron Baker
Waive Noah -- just get it over with

PG: Livingston - Baker - Randle
SG: Lee - Holiday - Ntilikina
SF: LT - Kuzsminskas - Dunleavy
PF: Millsap - O'Quinn - Ndour
C: Porzingis - Hernangomez - Plumlee

Livinston represents that tall "Triangle PG" with experience running "elements of the Triangle" in Golden State. Millsap is a no-drama workhorse who can bang down low and protect KP

Basically the exact same team as last year, still pretty vet-heavy
However, swapping Melo and D-Rose for Millsap and Livingston is a 180-degree shift when it comes to culture & locker room chemistry
crazybranman360
Starter

Post#140 » by crazybranman360 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 am

seren wrote:
crazybranman360 wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Just wondering what the better return than Melo would be. Any names on your mind?

Paul George for Love is something that is more realistic than people realize
They could get any combination of 2-4 players, except for Jokic, from Denver
Batum + some minor assets or MKG + Marvin Williams + minor assets from Charlotte
Any combination of 2-4 players from Orlando

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head

Return to New York Knicks