ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Re: Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1 

Post#61 » by spree8 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I would love to find a way to get Ingram from the Lakers....would even take back Deng's contract to do it. Worth the risk imo.

Otherwise I'm down for 2 unprotected future picks and filler from the Clippers. Unless another team has a better offer.

You're not getting Ingram from L.A, and I highly doubt you're getting Russell.

The best and most reasonable deal I can see being had with the Lakers that all sides would sign off on is...
We7o for Julius Randle, Luol Deng's contract and Hou 2017 1st (#28)

Probably not, but the Lakers would have to give up more then that if we are taking Deng.

If we help Lakers clear enough salary though maybe it would be tempting for them to give up Ingram. Long shot, but I'd try.

Bucks just got rid of Miles Plumlee's 12.5 mil per year for 4 years deal for pretty much cap relief. I don't think the Lakers give up that much just to move Deng.

If it's Moz & Deng in one shot, I could see them adding 1 of their big pieces tho...cuz that's 34 mil extra for next summer.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#62 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:19 pm

FemaleDogPlease wrote:I can see 4 teams Carmelo is willing to go to and that's Clippers, Cavaliers, Wizards, or Bulls.

gonna add lakers and nets to that list for location alone.

nets keeps him in his beloved city. they are just barren from the boston trade. we'd have to get lin back. :lol: oh, the irony.

lakers could offer a package if melo wanted to play at the summer home for his sunset. they won't win soon, but maybe he'd enjoy being there and part of a trade the knicks could stomach. i think phil is intrigued by russel. i agree that if the lakers keep their pick and draft lonzo, we could probably pry russell away for melo.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#63 » by jakoub » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Im hoping Boston loses in the first round

knicks trade melo, kuz, koq to Boston for crowder, johnson and right to swap picks with their nets pick.
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#64 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:39 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:orlando needs a 'go to scorer'.

send u anyone but aaron gordon and payton.

PJax and some Knicks fans who hate Melo irrationally would probably love getting Fournier and DJ Augustin.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#65 » by Esq-4 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 pm

What LAC, CLE, BOS do in playoffs will impact those teams interest in Melo. CLE doesn't win, you bet LBJ will push for Melo. BOS to a lesser extent because that pick they have coming, but an early exit and they may pull that trigger for scoring vet.

WAS I see the logic, but is it really an option? LAL really makes no sense, but oddly does just because its still LA and the Lakers. Really don't see him going anywhere else. Maybe CHI.

On BOS. I don't think he gets us their pick, but maybe helps us move up to get it...

Most these teams would all rather the younger Butler or George too...
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#66 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 pm

What are the chances Melo is traded before or after the draft?
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#67 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I would love to find a way to get Ingram from the Lakers....would even take back Deng's contract to do it. Worth the risk imo.

Otherwise I'm down for 2 unprotected future picks and filler from the Clippers. Unless another team has a better offer.

The best and most reasonable deal I can see being had with the Lakers that all sides would sign off on is...

Deal. But I doubt Melo goes to the Lakers if he wants to "win" as his main priority in agreeing to a trade.

LA is great city for Melo.
He lives there. There is massive endorsment market for him.
I think he looks for his business and family first.
He would accept LAC trade if they stay as a strong team.
He would accept a fair trade to LAL.

If we get Deng's contract they may find some place to get 1 good FA. They have their pick and some good young guys.
They'll finish better than in this scenario. So he'll get a better team, fresh scenery, good business deal and nice place for family.
He would waive his trade clause for LA.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#68 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:14 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

Deal. But I doubt Melo goes to the Lakers if he wants to "win" as his main priority in agreeing to a trade.

LA is great city for Melo.
He lives there. There is massive endorsment market for him.
I think he looks for his business and family first.
He would accept LAC trade if they stay as a strong team.
He would accept a fair trade to LAL.

If we get Deng's contract they may find some place to get 1 good FA. They have their pick and some good young guys.
They'll finish better than in this scenario. So he'll get a better team, fresh scenery, good business deal and nice place for family.
He would waive his trade clause for LA.

Lakers won't get by the GSW even with Melo, I don't see him accepting a trade there.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,311

Post#69 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 pm

spree8 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

Probably not, but the Lakers would have to give up more then that if we are taking Deng.

If we help Lakers clear enough salary though maybe it would be tempting for them to give up Ingram. Long shot, but I'd try.

Bucks just got rid of Miles Plumlee's 12.5 mil per year for 4 years deal for pretty much cap relief. I don't think the Lakers give up that much just to move Deng.

If it's Moz & Deng in one shot, I could see them adding 1 of their big pieces tho...cuz that's 34 mil extra for next summer.

Dengs contract is even worse then plumlee plus they would get melo so I don't think it's a comparable deal. Dengs contract is up there with Noah as far as bad deals. Lakers would still probably say no or we may need to take back more salary. But if they are looking for a splash plus win now with George it may not be that big of a stretch that magic would have serious
interest
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#70 » by Greenie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 pm

duetta wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i've wondered about this myself. but i think he would just keep love if he could get him. it's a good trade but it's not really what direction we should be going in.

My idea would be to send Love elsewhere for picks and players.

Mine too.

How about you Phil?

PHIL?
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,771

Post#71 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Hey Knicks fans, don't you think Phil was dissing Melo by saying "right now we need players who are really active, who can play every single play on both ends of the court".
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#72 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Kevin Pelton just wrote an article on ESPN speculating on possible destinations Melo. Not sure how much inside knowledge he has. It seems to mirror a lot of what has been written on here.

Phil Jackson can hold all the press conferences he wants and say Carmelo Anthony "would be better off somewhere else," as he did in Friday's season wrap-up. It won't matter until the New York Knicks can find a team that meets two criteria: a willingness to offer value in return for Anthony, who turns 33 in May, and a destination for which Anthony would waive his no-trade clause.

While Anthony has sounded increasingly open to a possible trade, and there was interest before this year's trade deadline, he also said the Knicks never came to him about approving a trade. So clearly Jackson and the front office haven't found the right match yet. Whether they do this summer could depend on the events of the next few months.

Here's what Jackson should be hoping transpires during the playoffs and beyond:
The Cleveland Cavaliers don't repeat as champions

A deal centered around Anthony and Cavaliers All-Star Kevin Love looks like the realistic best-case scenario for New York, since Love is a better player right now, is four years younger, and will make about $3.6 million less in 2017-18. Those are all reasons, of course, that Cleveland rebuffed the Knicks' interest in such a trade before the deadline, according to ESPN's Marc Stein and Chris Haynes.

An ugly playoff loss by the Cavaliers would offer New York the best hope of the Cavs changing their minds about Anthony. And while an early postseason exit might qualify, the best scenario for New York is probably Cleveland reaching the NBA Finals but being unable to keep Love on the court against the Golden State Warriors because of his defensive limitations -- and the Cavs losing decisively.

A Love-Anthony trade would be workable as long as Anthony agreed to waive part of his 15 percent trade bonus to facilitate it, but the Cavaliers would probably want something more from the Knicks -- draft picks or additional depth -- to even things up in terms of value. The worse Love's performance in Cleveland's playoff run, and the worse the Cavaliers lose, the more likely the teams are to find common ground.
The LA Clippers don't reach the conference finals

By all accounts, the Clippers were the suitor most motivated to add Anthony before the deadline. So they might not need the same push as other possible trade partners. Losing anywhere short of the conference finals should be sufficient -- and the playoff bracket has the Clippers trying to get through the Jazz and likely the Warriors to reach the West finals.

An Anthony deal is more workable for the Clippers this summer because they'll no longer have to adhere to the league's "hard cap" of $4 million more than the luxury tax, which they triggered last summer by using the non-taxpayer midlevel exception to re-sign forward Wesley Johnson.

The Clippers could legally send the Knicks a package of Johnson, guard Austin Rivers and forward Paul Pierce, who is guaranteed just $1.1 million of his $3.7 million 2017-18 salary, as long as Anthony waived most of his trade bonus.

Again, the question is where the two teams meet in terms of value. The Clippers would probably prefer to trade Jamal Crawford to New York rather than Rivers, but such a deal doesn't offer much return for Anthony without draft picks or young prospects. And the Clippers can't trade their first-round pick until 2021 at the earliest. (They do have some second-round picks to trade beginning in 2019.)

It's less likely that the Clippers would be motivated to make a trade by an early playoff exit, but the Knicks have to hope the Clips don't unexpectedly knock off the Warriors as part of a deep run. A Cleveland win over the Clippers in the NBA Finals would be a worst-case scenario from the standpoint of Anthony's trade value.
The Boston Celtics come up short in the playoffs, the lottery and free agency

The Celtics are the last of the three teams New York reportedly engaged in trade talks in the belief that Anthony would approve a trade there. Boston beat out Cleveland for the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference and secured a top-four pick from the Brooklyn Nets (and an additional Nets pick in 2018). Plus, the Celtics have the potential to clear max-level cap space. So they seem to be the longest shot of the three teams that may be interested in Anthony.

To have a shot at trading Anthony to the Celtics, the Knicks would probably need Boston's darkest timeline to unfold. We'll start with the Chicago Bulls holding Isaiah Thomas in check during the teams' first-round series while none of the other Celtics prove capable of creating their own offense in an unlikely (but perhaps not that unlikely) 8-seed upset.

And let's say devastated Boston fans take solace in the upcoming draft lottery, only to see the Brooklyn pick land at No. 4, outside the range of top prospects Lonzo Ball and Markelle Fultz. Boston is left to pick among second-tier point guard prospects who are unlikely to replace Thomas anytime soon.

Furthermore, buoyed by their first-round upset, the Bulls are unwilling to engage with Boston on Jimmy Butler trade talks, while Indiana Pacers forward Paul George unexpectedly makes the All-NBA third team and signs a designated veteran extension to stay in Indiana. So when Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward decides to re-sign in Utah, Boston has few interesting options in free agency.

Maybe, if all that happens, the Celtics might be interested in trading some of their treasure trove of picks for Anthony. But probably not.

And if the Knicks strike out on those three destinations for Melo, he might stay in New York another season, like it or not.

So expect Jackson and the rest of the New York organization to watch this year's postseason closely. What transpires in Cleveland and L.A. may sway the Knicks' chances of getting real value in return for their unhappy veteran star.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Saucy_Cross
Ballboy
And1: 52

Post#73 » by Saucy_Cross » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Over/Under is currently set at 4.5 threads before the start of free agency (which is when I predict he will be traded to the Clips for Rivers/Crawford/Johnson, 21 and 23 firsts, and a 2nd)

That has Brooklyn trade written all over it if those picks are unprotected. By 2021, the Knicks depending on how they draft could be a playoff team. Melo and CP3 will still be ringless, old and losing by then....on their way out of the league.

My personal theory is that we were all set to make the Clippers trade, but at the deadline we could only trade for the 21 first, so we waited until we could trade for the 23 as well to have two firsts instead of one

This was my thought as well. Clips were not allowed to trade 23 until offseason and Knicks didn't want the limited package if it didn't include that pick. Would be a decent package in my opinion considering the clips even with melo could end up blowing the squad up by the time those picks roll around, thus possibly paying off big time for the Knicks

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#74 » by FemaleDogPlease » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 pm

People believe the Lakers who are rebuilding would trade young players for Carmelo.

battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#75 » by battabing10 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 am

blueNorange wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:

melo's value in the league is low, he's not a star anymore. he's a spot up shooter that plays non existent defense.

knicks are going to get the short end, but it's a bullet you bite.

he arrived here badly in 2011 so he will leave here badly too. no way out.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,433

Post#76 » by duetta » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:10 am

Lakers will wait on Paul George. No reason not to.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#77 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 am

Read on Twitter
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#78 » by Billy Goat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 am

battabing10 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

melo's value in the league is low, he's not a star anymore. he's a spot up shooter that plays non existent defense.

knicks are going to get the short end, but it's a bullet you bite.

he arrived here badly in 2011 so he will leave here badly too. no way out.

You'd rather just buy him out than take on Jamal Crawford's contract tbh
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#79 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:15 am

Read on Twitter
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,806

Post#80 » by spree8 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:16 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Dengs contract is even worse then plumlee plus they would get melo so I don't think it's a comparable deal. Dengs contract is up there with Noah as far as bad deals. Lakers would still probably say no or we may need to take back more salary. But if they are looking for a splash plus win now with George it may not be that big of a stretch that magic would have serious
interest

I was never comparing the deals...just showing how you don't always need to attach a bunch of assets to a bad contract to get rid of it, and I know Deng's contract is more.. 5.5 mil more, but the guy is a much better player than Miles who gives you 2 & 2 per game. He's a bum.

I don't think they trade the #28 and Julius for Melo at all because getting rid of Deng doesn't justify giving up that much value. That's my point.

However, if they could get rid of Mozgov in addition to Deng in a Melo deal, then sure, it becomes worth it for them imo. Otherwise, they're better off keeping their young guys since this deal does nothing for them.

Return to New York Knicks