ImageImageImageImageImage

Ntillmatic is OUR GUY

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1141 » by shtolky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:We don't have DSJ and never will so I'm over it.

In fact, I'm beginning to dislike DSJ more and more as he gets overhyped and Frank gets underrated.

Frank will unquestionably pan out into a solid NBA player.

How can a player who hasn't played a minute of summer league be underrated? We literally have no idea what he is or what he will become. Look at another international player in Dante Exum. He came with a lot of hype and was just ok even before he blew out his knee.

If he wasn't a Knick and DSJ was you would be saying that anyone who didn't think DSJ was that good was a hater. Most of this board would. You guys need to be unbiased in your assessment of players.

DSJ had a really good summer league. So he is getting hyped. Good for him. In the long run it might not mean anything and he might just be another in the long list of guys who did well in summer league and crap in the regular season. Or he might not.

Frank we have 0 clue what he will or won't be.

What does Frank not playing in summer league have anything to do with whether or not he's underrated or overrated? I think at this point an argument can be made that Frank is being slightly underrated, at least by his peers. To not have him receive a single vote for best defensive rookie is sort of silly given what we have seen of him already. Yes, some will say well Frank played in a crap league. Still a league with better players than DSJ played against. That's not even really up for debate. And Frank CLEARLY excels defensively. Arguably the best defensive guard in the entire draft. We also have no idea what any of these rookies will be, despite their summer league performances. I know I don't have to post the summer league stats of Adam Morrison, Kris Dunn, etc to prove that point.

DSJ also didn't really have that great a summer league overall, at least when compared to others who really put up monster stats. 45% from the field, 4 apg for a PG...meh. But he dunks well. Objectively, seemingly based on a few good summer league games, DSJ's hype has risen when it isn't really warranted, just like Frank's has died down (not that there was any hype to begin with). Both are silly. You seem to realize that we can't properly rate any of these guys right now, but the survey is clearly underrating him by not even mentioning him. That's fine though, these rookie surveys are notoriously inaccurate (see Kris Dunn, Stanley Johnson, Doug McDermott, Ben McCelmore, etc.).
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1142 » by Greenie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 pm

In fact, I'm beginning to dislike DSJ more and more as he gets overhyped and Frank gets underrated.

Why?
We could have taken him.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#1143 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't get why everyone feels the need to knock DSJ when talking about Frank. They both can be great players. Let them live. Who cares if DSJ has the hype. He's earned it between his play in summer league, some great games in college against top comp., and showing out in High School. Both Frank and DSJ can be great players in their own right. As most people who frequented the Draft Thread know, next to Lonzo, DSJ was my favorite prospect in this draft but, there's no point in comparing him to Frank now and honestly probably not for the next few years. So let's just hope that Frank turns out to be awesome and that we don't have to worry about what DSJ is doing..
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1144 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Eye of the Tiger, Frank...Eye of the tiger.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#1145 » by TankCommander17 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 pm

shtolky wrote:
TankCommander17 wrote:

How can a player who hasn't played a minute of summer league be underrated? We literally have no idea what he is or what he will become. Look at another international player in Dante Exum. He came with a lot of hype and was just ok even before he blew out his knee.

If he wasn't a Knick and DSJ was you would be saying that anyone who didn't think DSJ was that good was a hater. Most of this board would. You guys need to be unbiased in your assessment of players.

DSJ had a really good summer league. So he is getting hyped. Good for him. In the long run it might not mean anything and he might just be another in the long list of guys who did well in summer league and crap in the regular season. Or he might not.

Frank we have 0 clue what he will or won't be.

What does Frank not playing in summer league have anything to do with whether or not he's underrated or overrated? I think at this point an argument can be made that Frank is being slightly underrated, at least by his peers. To not have him receive a single vote for best defensive rookie is sort of silly given what we have seen of him already. Yes, some will say well Frank played in a crap league. Still a league with better players than DSJ played against. That's not even really up for debate. And Frank CLEARLY excels defensively. Arguably the best defensive guard in the entire draft. We also have no idea what any of these rookies will be, despite their summer league performances. I know I don't have to post the summer league stats of Adam Morrison, Kris Dunn, etc to prove that point.

DSJ also didn't really have that great a summer league overall, at least when compared to others who really put up monster stats. 45% from the field, 4 apg for a PG...meh. But he dunks well. Objectively, seemingly based on a few good summer league games, DSJ's hype has risen when it isn't really warranted, just like Frank's has died down (not that there was any hype to begin with). Both are silly. You seem to realize that we can't properly rate any of these guys right now, but the survey is clearly underrating him by not even mentioning him. That's fine though, these rookie surveys are notoriously inaccurate (see Kris Dunn, Stanley Johnson, Doug McDermott, Ben McCelmore, etc.).

Because most players and people in this country don't really care to watch international basketball. So they know next to nothing about Frank. Or because even those who did watch and scouted him had him as the 4th or 5th best available guard in the draft. Why on earth would anyone give rookie of the year votes to a prospect they haven't seen play against american competition and which was seen as the 4th or 5th best guard in the draft? How are you guys mad about that?

Also why is he the best defensive guard in the draft? Based on what stats in the league he will be playing with? Because he did it in Europe against lesser competition?

Again he COULD end up being a defensive beast. We all hope so. But we don't know yet. You guys are mad just because he wears a Knicks jersey. Take the homer glasses off and be objective for once.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#1146 » by TankCommander17 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I don't get why everyone feels the need to knock DSJ when talking about Frank. They both can be great players. Let them live. Who cares if DSJ has the hype. He's earned it between his play in summer league, some great games in college against top comp., and showing out in High School. Both Frank and DSJ can be great players in their own right. As most people who frequented the Draft Thread know, next to Lonzo, DSJ was my favorite prospect in this draft but, there's no point in comparing him to Frank now and honestly probably not for the next few years. So let's just hope that Frank turns out to be awesome and that we don't have to worry about what DSJ is doing..

Exactly! Well said.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1147 » by magnumt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I don't get why everyone feels the need to knock DSJ when talking about Frank. They both can be great players. Let them live. Who cares if DSJ has the hype. He's earned it between his play in summer league, some great games in college against top comp., and showing out in High School. Both Frank and DSJ can be great players in their own right. As most people who frequented the Draft Thread know, next to Lonzo, DSJ was my favorite prospect in this draft but, there's no point in comparing him to Frank now and honestly probably not for the next few years. So let's just hope that Frank turns out to be awesome and that we don't have to worry about what DSJ is doing..

Probably because everyone and the media put down Frank while putting up the DSJ pick.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Post#1148 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Frank is going to be compared to Smith for the years to come

They both play the same positions and was both picked right next to each other.

Dallas fans are going to compare Smith to Frank as well.

It's just how it is
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1149 » by Greenie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm

magnumt wrote:

Probably because everyone and the media put down Frank while putting up the DSJ pick.

--Mags :beer:

That's on Phil.
Smith was on the board and we passed.

Oh well.
RealGM
And1: 39,206

Post#1150 » by 2010 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 pm

Juggynaut wrote:
taj2133 wrote:i believe kp got more respect from his rookie class then frank did and thats because kp could gone as high as number 2 pick after towns and he was a known product . Kp did good in workouts but frank didn't do any workouts because of his season in france took for ever. I think some of rookies in his class wanted to play in nyc and are kind of butt hurt they got passed on because of him going to nyc and they are not playing here.

KP barely got any more respect than Frank even though he was more hyped and drafted higher. Mudiay and Hezonja actually got more love than KP. Stanley Johnson got more love too for some reason.

So did Willie Caulie-Stein and garbage ass Justise Winslow.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1151 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 am

As you point out, there is no real need to compare Frank to DSJ and knock DSJ in order to boost Frank.

But that's ignoring that many fans worry we picked Frank instead of DSJ, and worry we'll look like losers once again it DSJ turns out to be better. This kind of emotional thinking is not healthy and it isn't even good for the team, if the front office does this too.

In the real world, they may turn out to be different style players. They could each be good in their own right. We may not even really know how this will turn out for several years. But it's a complicated matter whether we picked the guy who will fulfill our needs, or if we should have picked the other one. So the discussions will continue.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#1152 » by fatalogic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 am

BKlutch wrote:

As you point out, there is no real need to compare Frank to DSJ and knock DSJ in order to boost Frank.

But that's ignoring that many fans worry we picked Frank instead of DSJ, and worry we'll look like losers once again it DSJ turns out to be better. This kind of emotional thinking is not healthy and it isn't even good for the team, if the front office does this too.

In the real world, they may turn out to be different style players. They could each be good in their own right. We may not even really know how this will turn out for several years. But it's a complicated matter whether we picked the guy who will fulfill our needs, or if we should have picked the other one. So the discussions will continue.

One thing I hate about NY media is if Frank does turn out better, they will never say the Knicks dodged a bullet by drafting frank over DSJ. However if DSJ is better than Frank, they will drone on and on about it for months. It's not fair to the players.
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 830

Post#1153 » by Isiahthomass » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 am

BKlutch wrote:

We all know DSJ is gonna turn out to be Westbrook 2.0 and Frank will be back in Europe in 2 years because Knicks gonna Knick.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#1154 » by GONYK » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 am

Isiahthomass wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

We all know DSJ is gonna turn out to be Westbrook 2.0 and Frank will be back in Europe in 2 years because Knicks gonna Knick.

:lol:
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#1155 » by DE FENSE » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:
King of Canada wrote:Frank is the real Unicorn out there now because he's almost a myth. Nobody has ever seen him play (at least everybody but us and France).

He's more like a pegasus with that wing span...

That could stick if he's any good. I like it! Unicorn....Pegasus...What's WHG? Minotaur? Centaur?

I don't think Billy gets the mythical beast treatment. Hey, 2 out of 3 aint bad 8-)
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,392

Post#1156 » by robillionaire » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 am

most of this board wanted Frank before the draft, based on our polls, but we let the media narrative take over
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#1157 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 am

DE FENSE wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:
He's more like a pegasus with that wing span...

That could stick if he's any good. I like it! Unicorn....Pegasus...What's WHG? Minotaur? Centaur?

I don't think Billy gets the mythical beast treatment. Hey, 2 out of 3 aint bad 8-)

He was a 2nd rd pick. Steal of the draft basically. That deserves a mythical creature nickname!
:beer: RIP mags
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#1158 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

He was a 2nd rd pick. Steal of the draft basically. That deserves a mythical creature nickname!

These days, any player who works out well for us is a mythical creature.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#1159 » by Hemispheres » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 am

robillionaire wrote:most of this board wanted Frank before the draft, based on our polls, but we let the media narrative take over

Unfortunately it's the people who yell the loudest that leave the greatest impression. I wanted Frank and would have taken him 10/10 times over DSJr.

Of course Dennis could end up being the better player, but based on the type of player they are it was a no brainer for me. I have little interest in high usage, score first point guards who don't put effort in on defense.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#1160 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 am

BKlutch wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:

These days, any player who works out well for us is a mythical creature.

We've had plenty that we traded away over the years. They work out for other teams.

Hopefully we get to keep these kids and add more. We NEVER do that.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks