ImageImageImageImageImage

Ntillmatic is OUR GUY

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,217

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1841 » by 2010 » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:03 am

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:Man, if I were Melo I would reconsider and think about waiving that NTC for Portland. Lillard, CJ, and Melo could make some noise and make things at least a bit more interesting in the West.

Our whole goddamn state being on fire isn't a good look for that happening :evil:

Yeah, I was just reading about that. Crazy stuff!

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#1842 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:05 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
basketboule wrote:Wasn't Derek Harper 6'3 and Ron Harper 6'6?

I should have specified Derek Harper as the comparison. I thought he was 6'3 or 6'4". BBall reference has 6'4".

Ron Harper was like MJ or Drexler prior to his injury. Height is right but style wise, not close to Frank.

My line from talking about these guys: "Guys like Hill and going far back, Derek Harper, just seem like bigger guards who are closer style wise."

Guys somewhat on the tall side or long armed, who play somewhat like Frank seems to.

I get Frank is 2" taller than Derek Harper. I just can't find the 6'6" guy with a similar game. I might be overlooking a really obvious candidate. But having seen a LOT of D. Harper - defensive intensity, leadership, excellent outside shooter, just enough dribble drive to keep defenders honest, overplay his jumper, he went inside. Play off him, he just canned jumpers. Solid. Tough. Not flashy. Fundamentally sound.

I'm sticking with Frank will be Derek Harper plus 2 inches taller.

If Frank grows another inch or two then we might be looking at a less athletic Scottie Pippen, another Gaines pick that was controversial at the time.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,917

Post#1843 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:47 am

SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1844 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Sep 7, 2017 7:02 am

And one more of him repping NYC to the fullest.

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,059

Post#1845 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 7, 2017 12:51 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
basketboule wrote:Wasn't Derek Harper 6'3 and Ron Harper 6'6?

I should have specified Derek Harper as the comparison. I thought he was 6'3 or 6'4". BBall reference has 6'4".

Ron Harper was like MJ or Drexler prior to his injury. Height is right but style wise, not close to Frank.

My line from talking about these guys: "Guys like Hill and going far back, Derek Harper, just seem like bigger guards who are closer style wise."

Guys somewhat on the tall side or long armed, who play somewhat like Frank seems to.

I get Frank is 2" taller than Derek Harper. I just can't find the 6'6" guy with a similar game. I might be overlooking a really obvious candidate. But having seen a LOT of D. Harper - defensive intensity, leadership, excellent outside shooter, just enough dribble drive to keep defenders honest, overplay his jumper, he went inside. Play off him, he just canned jumpers. Solid. Tough. Not flashy. Fundamentally sound.

If Frank grows another inch or two then we might be looking at a less athletic Scottie Pippen, another Gaines pick that was controversial at the time.

Fun fact about Pip: Gaines strongly advocated for trading Pippen for Duncan straight up on draft night and was shot down.

Imagine the Bulls dynasty if that had happened.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#1846 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 7, 2017 3:51 pm

GONYK wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Fun fact about Pip: Gaines strongly advocated for trading Pippen for Duncan straight up on draft night and was shot down.

Wow. Well, this further proves Gaines has an eye for talent, that's for sure, though Duncan was pretty widely recognized coming out of college. Anyway, since Gaines has a good track record and he was on board for the pick of Frank, hopefully that's good news.

As far as Frank becoming Pippen, just can't see it. Might be doing an injustice to Frank's potential but I got to see all of Pippen's career and Frank just doesn't match him in my head. That said, even though I got to see all stages of Pippen's career, dominant peak Pippen of 40 point and 20 rebound playoff games is sort of etched in my head and I don't clearly recall young Pippen.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: RE: Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1847 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:00 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:

Wow. Well, this further proves Gaines has an eye for talent, that's for sure, though Duncan was pretty widely recognized coming out of college. Anyway, since Gaines has a good track record and he was on board for the pick of Frank, hopefully that's good news.

As far as Frank becoming Pippen, just can't see it. Might be doing an injustice to Frank's potential but I got to see all of Pippen's career and Frank just doesn't match him in my head. That said, even though I got to see all stages of Pippen's career, dominant peak Pippen of 40 point and 20 rebound playoff games is sort of etched in my head and I don't clearly recall young Pippen.
I don't see Pippen either, though I do see potential for a Batum type of player.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1848 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:05 pm

GONYK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I don't see Pippen either, though I do see potential for a Batum type of player.

I'm still with prime Derek Harper. 18 ppg, 7 apg, all star defense.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1849 » by malik959 » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:53 pm

Didnt Gains get Kobe too?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,528

Post#1850 » by Fat Kat » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:58 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:Image

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1851 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

a great deal of Harper's defense relied on the ability to hand check. Once that went away, so did his effectiveness on that side of the floor. He was aging too but, there was a definite dropoff

I see Giannis if he was a guard
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#1852 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nate McMillian. Tall, steady hand at the point, good defender and could shoot. Dennis Johnson is another guy. He was a very strong defender, team player and clutch AF.

In terms of body type, the only point guards that have similar builds to Frank are Penny Hardaway and Shaun Livingston.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1853 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:58 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nate McMillian. Tall, steady hand at the point, good defender and could shoot. Dennis Johnson is another guy. He was a very strong defender, team player and clutch AF.

In terms of body type, the only point guards that have similar builds to Frank are Penny Hardaway and Shaun Livingston.

Probably because he averaged 6ppg for his career :lol:

Though, I wouldn't mind a defender and playmaker like Nate. I think Frank will ultimately be more dynamic in the wide open game of today's NBA.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1854 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 7, 2017 5:59 pm

malik959 wrote:Didnt Gains get Kobe too?

He never worked for the Lakers
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1855 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:33 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:Image

BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#1856 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:36 pm

Derek Harper is one of my all-time favs. He would have been the MVP in the 1994 Finals if we won. He was probably the most underrated non-All Star player in NBA history.

Ntilikina has a long way to go before he reaches this level but I'd be ecstatic if he's close to Harper!
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#1857 » by Meat » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:37 pm

GONYK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:

id be fine with a combo stacy augmon\mookie blaylock type player.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1858 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Sep 7, 2017 7:01 pm

NYKAL wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:I don't see Pippen either, though I do see potential for a Batum type of player.

a great deal of Harper's defense relied on the ability to hand check. Once that went away, so did his effectiveness on that side of the floor. He was aging too but, there was a definite dropoff

I see Giannis if he was a guard

Sure. Every guard's D went down after that rule change. Even "The Glove" Payton wasn't as good. I just think Frank will stylistically be similar to Derek Harper. A big guard that plays good defense, fundamentally sound game. Very good outside shooter, uses that to set up the inside game.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1859 » by 2010 » Thu Sep 7, 2017 11:54 pm

Knicks talking about adding Trey Burke to the PG corps now

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#1860 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Sep 7, 2017 11:58 pm

2010 wrote:Knicks talking about adding Trey Burke to the PG corps now

I always thought Burke was terrible, even in college. However maybe this is Timmy trying to help his old teammate? Otherwise I can't see any other scenario in which this makes sense.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks