ImageImageImageImageImage

Ron Baker Officially Signed

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: Ron Baker Officially Signed 

Post#801 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:34 pm

Greenie wrote:
denterprise wrote:
Greenie wrote:Why do we care what his check says?
Everyone on the team is getting paid handsomely for playing a kids game. This obsession with players contracts is ruining actual fandom. Fans are more worried about cap implications than players performance.

If there were no salary cap what a player makes would not be a huge concern. Since there is a cap fans are concerned how their team manage that cap because it has implications on the team's ability to improve. Bad teams that have problems managing the cap generally are stuck for many years. The Knicks have a history of bad cap management so it is understandable people are concerned about how they spend that money on free agents, especially when they spend above market value.

Fans don't want market value though. They want everyone to take massive paycuts to play for their team. No matter who we sign for whatever amount, fans feel like the
team over spent. Fans literally care more about what a player makes over how the player performs and that's backwards.

What did I say?
People are mad at what Sessions signed for because they saw what Clark signed for. Like clockwork.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,704

Post#802 » by F N 11 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:36 pm

Some people here complain about everything. Whats new? then when a player shows he belongs those same people "I told you so" "I bashed him but I knew this would happen". Let the man show he belongs. Same goes for Timmy he's not that skinny guy anymore he's huge and quick af.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,256
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#803 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 2, 2017 7:39 pm

K P 6 wrote:Some people here complain about everything. Whats new? then when a player shows he belongs those same people "I told you so" "I bashed him but I knew this would happen". Let the man show he belongs. Same goes for Timmy he's not that skinny guy anymore he's huge and quick af.

And he defended Hardin and CP3 very nicely in the Drew League

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

F N 11
RealGM

Post#804 » by F N 11 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:01 pm

BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Some people here complain about everything. Whats new? then when a player shows he belongs those same people "I told you so" "I bashed him but I knew this would happen". Let the man show he belongs. Same goes for Timmy he's not that skinny guy anymore he's huge and quick af.

And that was Drew League I was like wtf.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#805 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:29 pm

K P 6 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

I was impressed with that, and also by how well Hardin and CP3 played together. For anybody who loves basketball, that game was a delight.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

F N 11
RealGM

Post#806 » by F N 11 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:31 pm

BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:And he defended Hardin and CP3 very nicely in the Drew League

I was impressed with that, and also by how well Hardin and CP3 played together. For anybody who loves basketball, that game was a delight.

Yeah that sick. They are going to feed off of each other's talent.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#807 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:32 pm

K P 6 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:And that was Drew League I was like wtf.

They looked so comfortable playing with each other. I can see them doing well, and getting the ball to Melo for lots of each jump shots.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,206

Post#808 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:38 pm

BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I was impressed with that, and also by how well Hardin and CP3 played together. For anybody who loves basketball, that game was a delight.

They looked so comfortable playing with each other. I can see them doing well, and getting the ball to Melo for lots of each jump shots.

Melo got traded?

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rock:
:beer: RIP mags
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#809 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:42 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Yeah that sick. They are going to feed off of each other's talent.

Melo got traded?

I wasn't saying that at all, but I wish it were true.

CP3 and Harden were playing really well together on the same team in the Drew League game. So if Melo joins them, they might score a ton.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,206

Post#810 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:50 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
BKlutch wrote:They looked so comfortable playing with each other. I can see them doing well, and getting the ball to Melo for lots of each jump shots.

Melo got traded?

I wasn't saying that at all, but I wish it were true.

CP3 and Harden were playing really well together on the same team in the Drew League game. So if Melo joins them, they might score a ton.

Yeah...was just screwing around. It's possible we may never see Melo in Houston.
:beer: RIP mags
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#811 » by battabing10 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:20 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
reub wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote: There is a reason why the vast majority of nba teams are at or over the cap. Every cent means a great deal. Not one dollar can be wasted or thrown away. So your argument that it is only 5 percent of the cap is mindless. That is five percent that could go towards signing another asset or having to settle for a lesser player because you didnt have that extra 5 percent to sign an upgrade at that position. Every cent counts.

5% is not an overpay for a team first, young, defense oriented lengthy guard who looked pretty good at the end of the season.

If he does get better and earns this contract or surpasses it, he opts out. If he sucks, he opts in. We made a mistake here, a small one, in the middle of many, but I hope we learn from this. If we really believed in him this much, we should have signed him to a 4 year contract, with team options.

you have allan houston as your avatar :lol:
battabing10
Rookie

Post#812 » by battabing10 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:24 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:League average salary is 9 million
Baker is getting paid 4.5 million, meaning to perform to his contract he has to be half as good as an average player. Not an average starter, an average player
So the chances of Baker being half as good as an average player are "astronomical" and "one in a million" apparently?
Hell, just by taking the averages of teams and dividing them by 15, you get a statline of 7/3/1.5 for the average player
So Baker has to average 3.5/1.5/.75 to be half an average player, which is worse than he did last year

So again, y'all are completely overreacting

First of all your wrong the average nba salary for 2016-17 was 6.2 million dollars. Source is forbes magazine online. First of all please be correct with the numbers you state. Second you dont compare a random player to the average salary to determine value. You compare the player to those of similar stats and ability to determine if the player has performed up to or above his contract value. Your whole post was just nonsense.

if basketball was only stats then you'd have a point, but it isn't so you don't.
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#813 » by don't panac » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:33 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote:I know I got you upset. Youre looking for every comma or apostrophe I dont use. This is an NBA board not english class dude. lol I'm not trying to be precise at all. Don't get upset because you were wrong. You are wrong again. The average nba salary for 2017-18 hasnt been established yet. All the players havent signed so a number can't be given. Just stop posting. Its never correct.

Right now there are 448 players signed to deals for 2018 per ESPN out of a possible 450, so no not all players have been signed

I'm sure those 2 extra players are gonna have a huge effect on the average salary though

I haven't checked your information but unfortunately wrong is still wrong. No matter how well meaning you are. Just try to be more accurate with statements that you make. It's ok to just admit being wrong about something.

it is also ok to admit that, in essence, the other guy was right, even if he got the number wrong by some 0.02%..... :wink:
Savageknick2190
Senior
And1: 138

Post#814 » by Savageknick2190 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:10 am

battabing10 wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:League average salary is 9 million
Baker is getting paid 4.5 million, meaning to perform to his contract he has to be half as good as an average player. Not an average starter, an average player
So the chances of Baker being half as good as an average player are "astronomical" and "one in a million" apparently?
Hell, just by taking the averages of teams and dividing them by 15, you get a statline of 7/3/1.5 for the average player
So Baker has to average 3.5/1.5/.75 to be half an average player, which is worse than he did last year

So again, y'all are completely overreacting

First of all your wrong the average nba salary for 2016-17 was 6.2 million dollars. Source is forbes magazine online. First of all please be correct with the numbers you state. Second you dont compare a random player to the average salary to determine value. You compare the player to those of similar stats and ability to determine if the player has performed up to or above his contract value. Your whole post was just nonsense.

if basketball was only stats then you'd have a point, but it isn't so you don't.

Who are you confucius? Make sense please.
Savageknick2190
Senior
And1: 138

Post#815 » by Savageknick2190 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:11 am

don't panac wrote:
Savageknick2190 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Right now there are 448 players signed to deals for 2018 per ESPN out of a possible 450, so no not all players have been signed

I'm sure those 2 extra players are gonna have a huge effect on the average salary though

I haven't checked your information but unfortunately wrong is still wrong. No matter how well meaning you are. Just try to be more accurate with statements that you make. It's ok to just admit being wrong about something.

it is also ok to admit that, in essence, the other guy was right, even if he got the number wrong by some 0.02%..... :wink:

Admit he was right when he was wrong. Ok sure thats real logical.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#816 » by reub » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:11 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Melo got traded?

My sources are now telling me that Melo will be a Houston Rocket on Aug. 5th.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,941

Post#817 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:33 am

battabing10 wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:
reub wrote:
5% is not an overpay for a team first, young, defense oriented lengthy guard who looked pretty good at the end of the season.

If he does get better and earns this contract or surpasses it, he opts out. If he sucks, he opts in. We made a mistake here, a small one, in the middle of many, but I hope we learn from this. If we really believed in him this much, we should have signed him to a 4 year contract, with team options.

I do! H20's contract was a mistake, but I eventually learned to live with it. And truth be told, back then I didn't care as much about team management. So maybe THJ and Baker will grow on me. Maybe Noah, too...who knows?
Kurt Rambis
Senior
And1: 483

Post#818 » by Kurt Rambis » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:30 am

BKlutch wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I was impressed with that, and also by how well Hardin and CP3 played together. For anybody who loves basketball, that game was a delight.

I don't mind if Melo breaks Wilt's record next season as long as he is doing it for another team. :lol:
battabing10
Rookie

Post#819 » by battabing10 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:42 am

knicksh20b wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

I do! H20's contract was a mistake, but I eventually learned to live with it. And truth be told, back then I didn't care as much about team management. So maybe THJ and Baker will grow on me. Maybe Noah, too...who knows?

you can only hope the self-destructive owner with deep pockets does not continue to manifest alcoholic behavior and a distinct lack of impulse control. see steinbrenner and the yankees before their last dynasty.
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#820 » by Amsterdam » Thu Aug 3, 2017 11:46 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Melo got traded?

:D

Return to New York Knicks