ImageImageImageImageImage

KP YouTube Channel

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MartinsLusis
Senior
And1: 544

Re: KP YouTube Channel 

Post#21 » by MartinsLusis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:57 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Btw, some people on reddit are throwing **** on some of his exercise form and overall training process. (is working with really low weights etc.)

Is here someone who has some personal trainer background (and isn't some dude who goes to the gym two times a week and think he knows his ****) who can confirm or debunk that?

Light weights with many repetitions can be just as effective but it's safer.

Here's more:

The new findings: Lifting relatively light weights (about 50% of your one-rep max) for about 20–25 reps is just as efficient at building both strength and muscle size as lifting heavier weights (up to 90% of one-rep max) for eight to 12 reps, according to the study, the latest in a series done at McMaster University in Ontario.

"Fatigue is the great equalizer here," Stuart Phillips, Ph.D., a kinesiology professor at McMaster and the senior author of the study, wrote about the research. "Lift to the point of exhaustion and it doesn't matter whether the weights are heavy or light."

Phillips and his colleagues asked 49 men, each about 23-years-old, to do a 12-week program of total-body resistance training. The lifters were split into two groups: a high-rep group, which lifted at 30–50% of their one-rep max for 20–25 reps a set, and a low-rep group, which lifted at 75–90% of their one-rep max for 8–12 reps a set. Both groups lifted to failure, and did four exercises: inclined leg press, barbell bench press, machine-guided knee extension, and machine-guided shoulder press.

At the end of 12 weeks, the authors tested the participants’ muscle mass and found that both groups had made essentially equal gains in strength and size—except for in the bench press, which was higher among the low-rep group.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#22 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:Btw, some people on reddit are throwing **** on some of his exercise form and overall training process. (is working with really low weights etc.)

Is here someone who has some personal trainer background (and isn't some dude who goes to the gym two times a week and think he knows his ****) who can confirm or debunk that?

Here's more:

The new findings: Lifting relatively light weights (about 50% of your one-rep max) for about 20–25 reps is just as efficient at building both strength and muscle size as lifting heavier weights (up to 90% of one-rep max) for eight to 12 reps, according to the study, the latest in a series done at McMaster University in Ontario.

"Fatigue is the great equalizer here," Stuart Phillips, Ph.D., a kinesiology professor at McMaster and the senior author of the study, wrote about the research. "Lift to the point of exhaustion and it doesn't matter whether the weights are heavy or light."

Phillips and his colleagues asked 49 men, each about 23-years-old, to do a 12-week program of total-body resistance training. The lifters were split into two groups: a high-rep group, which lifted at 30–50% of their one-rep max for 20–25 reps a set, and a low-rep group, which lifted at 75–90% of their one-rep max for 8–12 reps a set. Both groups lifted to failure, and did four exercises: inclined leg press, barbell bench press, machine-guided knee extension, and machine-guided shoulder press.

At the end of 12 weeks, the authors tested the participants’ muscle mass and found that both groups had made essentially equal gains in strength and size—except for in the bench press, which was higher among the low-rep group.

I'll take Steph Curry's 400 lb. trap bar deadlift vs. KP's floor crunches :D Steph could probably drive right through KP on the court :D
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#23 » by BKlutch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Any videos of him working on his post game?

Knicks: Work on your post game this summer
Janis: Work on strength training this summer

Guess which he does?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#24 » by MartinsLusis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:

Here's more:

I'll take Steph Curry's 400 lb. trap bar deadlift vs. KP's floor crunches :D Steph could probably drive right through KP on the court :D

Yeah, I guess you know better than the Spanish athletic trainer KP is working out with. Steph is significantly shorter and he's also much older, therefore, he can workout entirely different. KP needs to build more strength and prepare his ligaments before he lifts big weights. This is much smarter.

Also, big reps count means strength endurance which is critical when you need to hold your position in the post for an extended period of time.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#25 » by MartinsLusis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 pm

BKlutch wrote:

Guess which he does?

How do you imagine banging in the low post without strength? Ok, footwork also matters but come on!
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#26 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm

You meant his interviewing skills right?
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#27 » by King of Canada » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:36 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:

Here's more:

BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#28 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:38 pm

King of Canada wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:

Here's more:

:o :o :o

Hornacek looked confused at us playing defense :D

El Poochio - POBO

fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#29 » by fatalogic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 pm

I do mostly gymnastics based training and KP is doing very similar stuff to what I would do. Core is one of his biggest weaknesses so he is clearly trying to shore that up. He also seems to be working a lot on mobility and muscle prep. He probably deals a lot with sore shoulders so he is building up strength and endurance in the small muscle fibers/tendons.

Gymnasts who probably are hardest on their shoulders and core use weights mostly for conditioning like KP is doing. Light weight , high reps, high range of motion. All these things are to help him play the full season not back people down in the post. He has to build his foundation before he can start putting on weight otherwise he will just get injured later on down the road.
He will gain size as he gets older. He might still have a few years before his body fills out and that might not happen until 25+.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#30 » by BKlutch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Guess which he does?

How do you imagine banging in the low post without strength? Ok, footwork also matters but come on!

Do you really get from my post that I didn't want him to also work on core strength?

For most of the season there were discussions on the board that KP needed to work out with Hakeem, Dirk, or an some other experienced big to mentor him and help him learn some go-to moves.

Of course, to most of us, that would not conflict with building strength.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#31 » by MartinsLusis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Knicks: Work on your post game this summer

Guess which he does?

Do you really get from my post that I didn't want him to also work on core strength?

For most of the season there were discussions on the board that KP needed to work out with Hakeem, Dirk, or an some other experienced big to mentor him and help him learn some go-to moves.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I agree that he must work on that as well and I would be happy to see him working out with Hakeem who I think had the most impressive footwork and post moves. I completely agree on that.

However, IMO in order to get better, you mustn't try improving everything at once. First, build strength and polish the existing moves and the ones he was working on last year but wasn't comfortable using them much in games yet (like hook shots). And then next summer (ideally next 2 summers) work out with Hakeem. At least that's my opinion, not saying I'm the one who's right about this.
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#32 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm

fatalogic wrote:I do mostly gymnastics based training and KP is doing very similar stuff to what I would do. Core is one of his biggest weaknesses so he is clearly trying to shore that up. He also seems to be working a lot on mobility and muscle prep. He probably deals a lot with sore shoulders so he is building up strength and endurance in the small muscle fibers/tendons.

Gymnasts who probably are hardest on their shoulders and core use weights mostly for conditioning like KP is doing. Light weight , high reps, high range of motion. All these things are to help him play the full season not back people down in the post. He has to build his foundation before he can start putting on weight otherwise he will just get injured later on down the road.
He will gain size as he gets older. He might still have a few years before his body fills out and that might not happen until 25+.

Hmm, I might incorporate some of his core exercises and see if I benefit from them :D

El Poochio - POBO

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#33 » by Sark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Thank you for sharing Janis.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#34 » by BKlutch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:

Ok, I misunderstood you. I agree that he must work on that as well and I would be happy to see him working out with Hakeem who I think had the most impressive footwork and post moves. I completely agree on that.

However, IMO in order to get better, you mustn't try improving everything at once. First, build strength and polish the existing moves and the ones he was working on last year but wasn't comfortable using them much in games yet (like hook shots). And then next summer (ideally next 2 summers) work out with Hakeem. At least that's my opinion, not saying I'm the one who's right about this.

We all better hope that between the Knicks and the KP camp, somebody is helping guide his progression towards becoming our go-to scorer for the foreseeable future.

fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#35 » by fatalogic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Don't forget he will have Eurobasketball in August so he might have some #1 option experience there
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#36 » by AmazingJason » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Do you really get from my post that I didn't want him to also work on core strength?

We all better hope that between the Knicks and the KP camp, somebody is helping guide his progression towards becoming our go-to scorer for the foreseeable future.

There is no Knicks camp in this equation :o They can't even get a hold of him because he clicked on "Reject call" in Dialer and "Block number" on Whatsapp .

Knicks have to focus on organizational stability and making sure Ntikilina is not a bust. I would say right now the chances of KP leaving are around 80%. Frank better get up to speed because he now has a target on his back due to DSJr and Mitchell, and him busting guarantees KP leaving.

El Poochio - POBO

Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Post#37 » by Icandoallthings » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:20 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:

Here's more:

This can't be accurate as it flies in the face of almost all data. Not calling you out just don't believe that it is a accurate conclusion.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#38 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:He's going to be throwing dudes out of the paint this season like Uncle Phil did Jeff.

Look at him buckling his legs and throwing out his lower back.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#39 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:He's going to be throwing dudes out of the paint this season like Uncle Phil did Jeff.

You realize that's 55 pounds he's benching right? I mean it's a little harder to bench on an incline but damn he's weak.
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#40 » by AmazingJason » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:05 am

DaKnicksAreBack wrote:

You realize that's 55 pounds he's benching right? I mean it's a little harder to bench on an incline but damn he's weak.

He can barely push that weight up without belly dancing like Shakira :o

El Poochio - POBO

Return to New York Knicks