ImageImageImageImageImage

The MeloPause Trade Thread

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Knickstape1214, Capn'O, j4remi, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC

newyorker4ever
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,977
And1: 1,008
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1761 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Carl_Karlson wrote:What's the press conference about? Perry's formal introduction?



That's all i can see it being for since we haven't done anything else. Hopefully Geek Mills will answer some questions about some of the things going on like with Melo and the direction of the team and other things as well which i'm sure the media will have plenty of questions.
newyorker4ever
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,977
And1: 1,008
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1762 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Polk377 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
I think if he comes back the best spot for him is starting at PF next to KP. Ntilikina-Hardaway-Lee-Melo-KP would be my starting 5 with Willy, Baker, KOQ, Noah, LT and Kuz as my bench. If Hornacek wants to play uptempo that is the best lineup to go with.

IF he comes back, this may just be the best lineup. Do you think the surgery helped Noah enough that he could contribute off the bench? I haven't heard anything about him all summer (and I know he's keeping a low profile so people don't get angry at him).

No one knows about Noah at this point. I would like to think he can still contribute on the defensive end and on the glass but who knows. At this point I would assume that he is the 3rd big off the bench behind Willy and KOQ if they were to go with this lineup.



He will contribute and as soon as he's back from his suspension he'll be our starter, unless Willy is showing big improvement from last season on the defensive end.
drekwins
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,911
And1: 644
Joined: Jun 05, 2008
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1763 » by drekwins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 pm

knuckles862 wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:Yes, the experience and leadership that Spree and Cassell brought to the Wolves was equivalent to what Cassell brought to Denver. This explains why KG didn't leave the first round without them. You act as if Cassell and Sprewell did not have their own deep runs in the playoffs prior to joining the Wolves.Now if your argument is that Cassell was the best player in Denver at the time, then I don't know what to say :)


Billups was really really good.. in fact, he was 3rd team All NBA that year. Guess who else was also on the 3rd team that year... You got that right, Melo. Melo didn't even make the All-NBA team the year before without Billups. People here think Melo is something that he's not. It's mind boggling.


:noway: didn't melo make 3rd team twice before billups arrived?


That's not the argument. To summarize, the argument was a about the level of impact Billups had. Some seem to forget that Billups was an equal to Melo back then. Both made 3rd team all NBA the year of the western conference finals run. Billups was also coming off of massive success in a lead role in Detroit. Some here seem to think Melo had "help" but that he essentially carried the team... which isn't true. Billups had just as much, if not more, impact.
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,677
And1: 1,624
Joined: Jul 05, 2013

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1764 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter


???????????
newyorker4ever
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,977
And1: 1,008
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1765 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:
Read on Twitter


???????????



Who's KJ NBA??
User avatar
moocow007
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 89,099
And1: 15,281
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1766 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm

So I missed nothing?
Image
Build a Franchise 1.0 - Celtics
James Harden
Blake Griffin
Andre Drummond
Tony Allen
Dante Cunningham
Lance Stephenson
Andrew Bogut
Jordan Crawford
Tony Bradley
DJ Augustin
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 12,860
And1: 6,986
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1767 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm

one thing is for sure
stars DO want to play with melo

hope that dumb narrative that "no one wants to play with melo" is put to rest
Cavs

PG: Dennis Smith Jr/Jerryd Bayless/Deron Williams
SG: Josh Jackson/Nick Young/Glenn Robinson III
SF: Jayson Tatum/Shabazz Muhammad/Jonah Bolden
PF: Skal Labissiere/Caleb Swanigan/Shawn Long
C: Bam Adebayo/Dwight Powell/Justin Patton
newyorker4ever
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,977
And1: 1,008
Joined: Jan 03, 2012
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1768 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:01 pm

moocow007 wrote:So I missed nothing?



J.Randle has been working out and can't figure out who the better player is out of new Melo, young Melo or Dray Green.
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 79,677
And1: 32,133
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Current RealGM Heavyweight Champion of the World

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1769 » by god shammgod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:
Read on Twitter


???????????



Who's KJ NBA??


it's real
Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 17,295
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1770 » by Fury » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm

^ prob just sponsorship
PG: Ricky Rubio/Shelvin Mack
SG: Devin Booker/Terrence Ross
SF: Nicolas Batum/TJ Warren
PF: James Johnson/Marquese Chriss/Anthony Tolliver
C: Marcin Gortat/Nerlens Noel
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 17,295
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1771 » by Fury » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:one thing is for sure
stars DO want to play with melo

hope that dumb narrative that "no one wants to play with melo" is put to rest


Yeha they wanna play with him as long as they don't give up **** for him
PG: Ricky Rubio/Shelvin Mack
SG: Devin Booker/Terrence Ross
SF: Nicolas Batum/TJ Warren
PF: James Johnson/Marquese Chriss/Anthony Tolliver
C: Marcin Gortat/Nerlens Noel
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 20,169
And1: 9,966
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1772 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

louieOrr wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
louieOrr wrote:
It does. One waited it out and was gifted to the Celts. The other forced a trade that gutted the team of assets. Thus the different trajectory


Unequivocally false

BOS traded a ton of prospects in the KG deal including an up and coming Al Jefferson at the time, who was far superior to any project we sent out.

Also, a player can't force his way off a team or make the team trading for him give up any less or more for him. That is up to the FO.

Nice try


BS :)

Melo wanted the sign and trade. He wasn't going into the new cba without it. He said he'd go to BK if we didn't want him. He leveraged that Denver would end up with nothing for him and thereby forced the trade. Using BK to this end forced us to up loose more assets then we had to. In fact if he really cared about winning in NY he would have signed as a free agent period. Had he not taken the extra year from Denver on his extension he could have avoided the whole mess.

Don't even try that ish lol


A player can't force a trade

A player can refuse a trade

Melo would of forced the trade to HOU already if he could. He can't, so it didn't happen.

It's up to the FO to decide what they do. Blame them
Spoiler:
“Joakim is somebody who has been on my list for a long time,’’ Jackson: “He was initially our first choice in the first-agent market.


Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:Melo is the reason why we are in the mess we are in now.
Acquiring him was the biggest mistake in knicks history.
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 20,169
And1: 9,966
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1773 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Fury wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:one thing is for sure
stars DO want to play with melo

hope that dumb narrative that "no one wants to play with melo" is put to rest


Yeha they wanna play with him as long as they don't give up **** for him


So players should want to give up a ton for him to play with him? Why would they want to do that if they want to compete? :lol:
Spoiler:
“Joakim is somebody who has been on my list for a long time,’’ Jackson: “He was initially our first choice in the first-agent market.


Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:Melo is the reason why we are in the mess we are in now.
Acquiring him was the biggest mistake in knicks history.
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 17,295
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1774 » by Fury » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Fury wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:one thing is for sure
stars DO want to play with melo

hope that dumb narrative that "no one wants to play with melo" is put to rest


Yeha they wanna play with him as long as they don't give up **** for him


So players should want to give up a ton for him to play with him? Why would they want to do that if they want to compete? :lol:


Not a lot but not bull
PG: Ricky Rubio/Shelvin Mack
SG: Devin Booker/Terrence Ross
SF: Nicolas Batum/TJ Warren
PF: James Johnson/Marquese Chriss/Anthony Tolliver
C: Marcin Gortat/Nerlens Noel
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 20,169
And1: 9,966
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1775 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

drekwins wrote:
knuckles862 wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Billups was really really good.. in fact, he was 3rd team All NBA that year. Guess who else was also on the 3rd team that year... You got that right, Melo. Melo didn't even make the All-NBA team the year before without Billups. People here think Melo is something that he's not. It's mind boggling.


:noway: didn't melo make 3rd team twice before billups arrived?


That's not the argument. To summarize, the argument was a about the level of impact Billups had. Some seem to forget that Billups was an equal to Melo back then. Both made 3rd team all NBA the year of the western conference finals run. Billups was also coming off of massive success in a lead role in Detroit. Some here seem to think Melo had "help" but that he essentially carried the team... which isn't true. Billups had just as much, if not more, impact.


Billups was not an equal to Melo back then.
Spoiler:
“Joakim is somebody who has been on my list for a long time,’’ Jackson: “He was initially our first choice in the first-agent market.


Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:Melo is the reason why we are in the mess we are in now.
Acquiring him was the biggest mistake in knicks history.
User avatar
louieOrr
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 409
Joined: Jun 20, 2010
         

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1776 » by louieOrr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
louieOrr wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Unequivocally false

BOS traded a ton of prospects in the KG deal including an up and coming Al Jefferson at the time, who was far superior to any project we sent out.

Also, a player can't force his way off a team or make the team trading for him give up any less or more for him. That is up to the FO.

Nice try


BS :)

Melo wanted the sign and trade. He wasn't going into the new cba without it. He said he'd go to BK if we didn't want him. He leveraged that Denver would end up with nothing for him and thereby forced the trade. Using BK to this end forced us to up loose more assets then we had to. In fact if he really cared about winning in NY he would have signed as a free agent period. Had he not taken the extra year from Denver on his extension he could have avoided the whole mess.

Don't even try that ish lol


A player can't force a trade

A player can't refuse a trade

Melo would of forced the trade to HOU already if he could. He can't, so it didn't happen.

It's up to the FO to decide what they do. Blame them


a player can say they are not willing to extend with the team they are being traded to.

FO gets their fair share of blame as well
Image
User avatar
Handledatruth
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,908
And1: 532
Joined: Aug 13, 2004

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1777 » by Handledatruth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm

drekwins wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Billups was really really good.. in fact, he was 3rd team All NBA that year. Guess who else was also on the 3rd team that year... You got that right, Melo. Melo didn't even make the All-NBA team the year before without Billups. People here think Melo is something that he's not. It's mind boggling.


Except that he did make the third All-NBA team the year before. Him, Iverson(who was his teammate), Gilbert Arenas, Yao Ming, and *gasp* Kevin Garnett. Check your facts man.


No, he didn't. That was 05-06...what year are you even talking about? The Western Conference Finals run was 2008-2009. Melo and Billup's both made the All-NBA 3rd team that year. Melo did not make it in the previous season 2007-2008.

So, besides you being completely off i yout response, I take it that you have no rebuttal to the main argument that both Billups and Melo were on the 3rd Team All-NBA during the finals year.

Also, P.S. - KG was on the All-NBA 1st team 4 times, 2nd team - 3 times and 3rd Team - 2 times.
Carmelo was on the 2nd team 2 times and 3rd team 4 times. Respect the history of the game and the greats.


Sorry looked quickly at 2006-07 (another year where both Anthony and Billups made the All-NBA 3rd team) and 2005-2006 the year before. The fact that I can even make that mistake doesn't help your point :D. But anyway, there's no rebuttal needed, Melo was an All-NBA level talent before Billups and then when he got another All-NBA level type of player he made a strong WCF run. Seems more of an expectation than a knock against Melo. You play with great players and you have more success in the playoffs. btw the year of Minnesota's WCF run, Sam Cassell was a second team All NBA player. Not exactly a "shell" of himself.
User avatar
SelbyCobra
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,473
And1: 4,818
Joined: May 25, 2011

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1778 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Reporter: "Steve, is a buyout a possibility with regards to Melo?"

Mills, answers firmly with one word:

"No."
Image
drekwins
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,911
And1: 644
Joined: Jun 05, 2008
     

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1779 » by drekwins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
drekwins wrote:
knuckles862 wrote:
:noway: didn't melo make 3rd team twice before billups arrived?


That's not the argument. To summarize, the argument was a about the level of impact Billups had. Some seem to forget that Billups was an equal to Melo back then. Both made 3rd team all NBA the year of the western conference finals run. Billups was also coming off of massive success in a lead role in Detroit. Some here seem to think Melo had "help" but that he essentially carried the team... which isn't true. Billups had just as much, if not more, impact.


Billups was not an equal to Melo back then.


Both were 3rd team All-NBA, Billup was higher in MVP rankings, they reached unparalleled success once Billups arrived, the coach credits Billups and the fans credit Billups... what more has to be said.
User avatar
Handledatruth
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,908
And1: 532
Joined: Aug 13, 2004

Re: The MeloPause Trade Thread 

Post#1780 » by Handledatruth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:30 pm

drekwins wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
drekwins wrote:
That's not the argument. To summarize, the argument was a about the level of impact Billups had. Some seem to forget that Billups was an equal to Melo back then. Both made 3rd team all NBA the year of the western conference finals run. Billups was also coming off of massive success in a lead role in Detroit. Some here seem to think Melo had "help" but that he essentially carried the team... which isn't true. Billups had just as much, if not more, impact.


Billups was not an equal to Melo back then.


Both were 3rd team All-NBA, Billup was higher in MVP rankings, they reached unparalleled success once Billups arrived, the coach credits Billups and the fans credit Billups... what more has to be said.

How are you a Syracuse fan? :lol:

Return to New York Knicks