ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: War for the Planet of the Apes

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

OT: War for the Planet of the Apes 

Post#1 » by Amsterdam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:50 am

Ok, what's the popcorn reviews?

Traveyknicks23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,775

Re: OT: War for the Planet of the Apes 

Post#2 » by Traveyknicks23 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Amazing
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#3 » by King of Canada » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Can't wait to see it. I loved the first two.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 pm

The next Batman director, Matt Reeves via twitter compared Batman to Caesar. Essentially saying they are similar in that they are heroes.

Except best to my knowledge, Batman didn't selfishly and recklessly unleash cannisters of PEDs to make his own race geniuses and kill off nearly 95% of another race despite knowing the difference of right and wrong, fact that his creator was indeed a good man.

The original Planet of the Apes, written by Rod Serling didn't manipulate you to take sides. Basically the message of the original superior Planet of the Apes: Ironically, Racism does not discriminate. It's the ultimate disease. Hatred and lies ultimately turns you into the VERY thing you felt was wrong about the other person.

This IS Avatar going into the 3rd film. You are FORCED to root for Caesar, even though he's not a hero. Not at all. The camera makes his actions justifiable but again, he's not a hero.

I will enjoy this film for Woody Harrelson and some chimp-ocalyse action. :lol:
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#5 » by NYKAL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The next Batman director, Matt Reeves via twitter compared Batman to Caesar. Essentially saying they are similar in that they are heroes.

Except best to my knowledge, Batman didn't selfishly and recklessly unleash cannisters of PEDs to make his own race geniuses and kill off nearly 95% of another race despite knowing the difference of right and wrong, fact that his creator was indeed a good man.

The original Planet of the Apes, written by Rod Serling didn't manipulate you to take sides. Basically the message of the original superior Planet of the Apes: Ironically, Racism does not discriminate. It's the ultimate disease. Hatred and lies ultimately turns you into the VERY thing you felt was wrong about the other person.

This IS Avatar going into the 3rd film. You are FORCED to root for Caesar, even though he's not a hero. Not at all. The camera makes his actions justifiable but again, he's not a hero.

then same humans that caged and experimented on his peeps. Being taking and left at that place would have been a betrayal of the highest order and the treatment he received there.....any positive feeling he had for humans would have been twisted and viewed through blood colored lenses.

Also, I don't think he had any concept of how far reaching those chemical would be.....no way he could have so, he didn't KNOWINGLY set of any genocide. If anyone was responsible for that, it was the creators.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#6 » by tjumper78 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm

i enjoyed the first one. the second one not so much.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#7 » by AmazingJason » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Never saw any of them. But I saw the trailer for the third one. And it was a bunch of apes talking perfect English and Woody Harrelson acting like an over the top maniac. Pass. The apes might as well be humans. I don't get it, and it looks unnatural and dumb. Might as well watch Dr. Doolittle or Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Sent from my Google Glass using RealGM mobile app
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#8 » by poeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I wanna see this, but may take the wifey to see The Big Sick tonight. Also got great reviews
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#9 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The next Batman director, Matt Reeves via twitter compared Batman to Caesar. Essentially saying they are similar in that they are heroes.

I never got the impression that Caesar knew the virus would occur and spread. I also don't think he was selfishly giving his fellow apes more self-awareness, I think he was free'ing them. I wouldn't compare Caesar to Batman, I'd consider him like Spartacus...except Spartacus wins in this version.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#10 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:23 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Never saw any of them. But I saw the trailer for the third one. And it was a bunch of apes talking perfect English and Woody Harrelson acting like an over the top maniac. Pass. The apes might as well be humans. I don't get it, and it looks unnatural and dumb.

The first two were a progression to language. It's over the top by the second one with apes on horses with guns but, that first one is really great and pretty grounded for a movie about sentient apes escaping human captivity :lol: ...give the first one a shot man, it'll surprise you.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Never saw any of them. But I saw the trailer for the third one. And it was a bunch of apes talking perfect English and Woody Harrelson acting like an over the top maniac. Pass. The apes might as well be humans. I don't get it, and it looks unnatural and dumb. Might as well watch Dr. Doolittle or Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

Perhaps a commentary on humanity devolving? :dontknow:
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#12 » by N8isScofield » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Actually the only reference that Reeves made as far as a Batman/Caesar correlation is that they're both imperfect beings trying to do the right thing in imperfect worlds. He didn't say they had the same motivations or even that their actions were justified or right but that they were trying to do the right thing. The more important part of his comments about directing Batman are his desire to show him off as the World's Greatest Detective and have it be a POV noir styled movie. That's a much better clue about what the movie will be like than a vague parallel between 2 vastly different characters.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#13 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 pm

AmazingJayson hates on every block buster movie. Pass on his opinion
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#14 » by waya » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 pm

I was supposed to see a free advanced screening of American Assassin yesterday but it filled up too quickly so I went to see Apes instead. Without a doubt got to see the better movie :lol: I enjoyed it
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,949

Post#15 » by ITGM » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Horrible movie! Skip it and spend that money on 2 shares of AMD stock.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#16 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 pm

NYKAL wrote:then same humans that caged and experimented on his peeps. Being taking and left at that place would have been a betrayal of the highest order and the treatment he received there.....any positive feeling he had for humans would have been twisted and viewed through blood colored lenses.

Also, I don't think he had any concept of how far reaching those chemical would be.....no way he could have so, he didn't KNOWINGLY set of any genocide. If anyone was responsible for that, it was the creators.

So by your rationale...Historically, Arabs have legally used slaves in their own country for the longer than Europe, certainly longer than America. So I guess it's ok they get what's coming to them today? Rubbish. :crazy: :noway:

I'll give War props...after 3 prequels of a contrived, repetitive derivative rip off from James Cameron's Avatar it took them THREE films to have one Simian poop joke. And it was worth it.

Now, the force fed plot device because it HAD to link up with the Planet of the Apes...

Spoiler:
The "Second cycle" of the virus made every one full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) was garbage.

The climax was so STUPID...

Spoiler:
US armed forces could have just sent rockets into the mountain and wiped out Woody Harrelson's rogue army but end up mindlessly charging in and getting killed in an avalanche, borrowing the same trope mankind kills itself but in a clumsy let's get it over with way.

Not enough Woody Harrelson. I mean, he was there for a total 15 min but Newt from Aliens' cameo was in there forever infiltrating the camp...through a defense worse than the Knicks! :lol:

MORE Woody! MORE Cow Bell!
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#17 » by AmazingJason » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:AmazingJayson hates on every block buster movie. Pass on his opinion

LOL, where'd this sh*t come from? :confused:

I loved Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Inception :D
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#18 » by poeman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:14 am

Incredible film. Serkis should get a nomination
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#19 » by NYKAL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
NYKAL wrote:then same humans that caged and experimented on his peeps. Being taking and left at that place would have been a betrayal of the highest order and the treatment he received there.....any positive feeling he had for humans would have been twisted and viewed through blood colored lenses.

So by your rationale...Historically, Arabs have legally used slaves in their own country for the longer than Europe, certainly longer than America. So I guess it's ok they get what's coming to them today? Rubbish. :crazy: :noway:

I'll give War props...after 3 prequels of a contrived, repetitive derivative rip off from James Cameron's Avatar it took them THREE films to have one Simian poop joke. And it was worth it.

Now, the force fed plot device because it HAD to link up with the Planet of the Apes...

Spoiler:
The "Second cycle" of the virus made every one full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) was garbage.

The climax was so STUPID...

Spoiler:
US armed forces could have just sent rockets into the mountain and wiped out Woody Harrelson's rogue army but end up mindlessly charging in and getting killed in an avalanche, borrowing the same trope mankind kills itself but in a clumsy let's get it over with way.

Not enough Woody Harrelson. I mean, he was there for a total 15 min but Newt from Aliens' cameo was in there forever infiltrating the camp...through a defense worse than the Knicks! :lol:

MORE Woody! MORE Cow Bell!

please don't use slavery as a way of defending your view of Planet of the Apes.....come on man, its not that series or relevant.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#20 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm

AmazingJason wrote:Never saw any of them. But I saw the trailer for the third one. And it was a bunch of apes talking perfect English and Woody Harrelson acting like an over the top maniac. Pass. The apes might as well be humans. I don't get it, and it looks unnatural and dumb. Might as well watch Dr. Doolittle or Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

I love when people preface a post saying they have no idea what they are talking about and then use the rest of the post to act like they know what they are talking about.

No shut you don't get it! You said right at the start that you haven't seen any of the movies... :D
Go Knicks!

Return to New York Knicks