ImageImageImageImageImage

Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#41 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:45 pm

To quote Mike Tyson, "Plan? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#42 » by captvict » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm confused. Yet they are going to re-evaluate the Melo situation and reach out to an old tiring non athletic wing and ask him to stay on???

Really. You gotta love this franchises line of crap
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,952

Post#43 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 pm

captvict wrote:I'm confused. Yet they are going to re-evaluate the Melo situation and reach out to an old tiring non athletic wing and ask him to stay on???

Comeon man...negotiating tactic
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Post#44 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 pm

captvict wrote:I'm confused. Yet they are going to re-evaluate the Melo situation and reach out to an old tiring non athletic wing and ask him to stay on???

if trading him looks like negative value, then you don't do it just to do it. might as well get what you can out of him while paying.

if he's still a good mentor, then fine. he likely opts out of the final year and goes where he wants. or gets a better trade then.

now might just not be the right time to deal him unless morey comes correct and gives up the ass.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#45 » by BeagleBoss » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Stick to this plan, stay off social media, keep drama in house and it'll start to get better.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Re: RE: Re: Steve Mills Outlines The Knicks Plan: FULL REBUILD 

Post#46 » by BeagleBoss » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Starks wrote:Couldn't care less about statements. Especially when these come just a few days after signing Tim Hardaway Jr to 71/4.

I'll wait for the next moves but I'm not holding my breath, been a Knicks fan for too long.

Hardaway is 25 and getting better. A signing like this goes along with their plan.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,566

Post#47 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

They're just giving Scott Perry the respect of making the deal himself I think. Its just posturing.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#48 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Right hardaway goes with the plan and so do baker. If anything I give Mills credit to sticking with the plan this off season. As far as melo you don't trade him for nothing that's bad business. The press said going forward they want to build a team that way. They didn't say not vets allowed lol. If melo is here he will be surrounded by young players that simple. I hope they stick to it this is our only hope
xsaberx
Bench Warmer
And1: 413

Post#49 » by xsaberx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Asking Melo to stay is coming from ESPN not the Knicks - it's their added media slant to make us continuously seem inept - the article from ESPN has a lot of embellishment and hearsay added into it - it's actually annoying that everyone trusts ESPN as the voice of truth, when it is clearly media focused on dramatic stories

I'm not saying that the Knicks deserve to be trusted, but ESPN has added a lot of fuel to the fire over the years. We don't really know what they are doing with Melo.

If you want to see the Knicks actual message read here:
http://www.nba.com/knicks/steve-mills-named-president-perry-named-general-manager-ny-knicks

NEW YORK, July 14, 2017 – James L. Dolan, executive chairman of The Madison Square Garden Company, announced today that Steve Mills has been named president of the New York Knickerbockers. Mr. Mills announced that Scott Perry has been named the team’s general manager.

“Today marks a culture change for our organization where we reestablish the pride, work ethic and responsibility that comes with playing for the Knicks and representing New York,” Mr. Dolan said. “I’m confident that Steve is the right person to take on this role, and ensure that we return to one of the elite teams of the NBA. He’s got an ambitious plan that centers on building a young team focused on player development, communication and teamwork.

“His decision to bring Scott on as general manager is a critical first step in transforming this franchise. Scott brings tremendous skill and experience in helping to build winning basketball teams. He’ll immediately get to work adjusting our basketball operations department to make sure we have one of the most effective front office staffs in the NBA,” Dolan added. “As Steve and Scott move forward, I will continue to not be involved in the operations of the team.”

Mills, Perry and Head Coach Jeff Hornacek will be available to discuss the team’s strategy moving forward on Monday, July 17 at 2:00 p.m. at MSG Training Center.

At Princeton University, Mills helped lead the Tigers to two Ivy League first-place finishes, including the league title and an NCAA berth in 1981 playing for Hall of Fame Head Coach Pete Carril. He then went onto a 30-plus year career in professional basketball, including 16 years at the NBA, where he rose to become senior vice president of basketball and player development. Originally joining MSG in 1999 as executive vice president of franchise operations, Mills was elevated to the position of president of MSG Sports in 2001. He had a wide range of responsibilities over his 10 years with The Madison Square Garden Company, including oversight of all basketball and business operations for the Knicks and WNBA’s Liberty, as well as all other sports-related activities at The Garden. The Long Island-native returned to the Knicks as president and general manager at the start of the 2013-14 season, and has served as general manager for the past three and a half seasons.

“I want to thank Jim for having the confidence in me to lead this team at such a critical time. I want to welcome Scott to the Knicks, and I know his skills and experience will help guide our team to future success,” Mills said. “Today is a new day for this franchise. Scott will immediately begin to put together a basketball operations department that is among the best in the league. We will all be united in implementing our strategy, which is to build our team by developing young players, emphasizing athleticism, length and defense. We have several rising young stars in the organization and we expect to add more young talent to this core. Our message to our fans is clear: we will be disciplined in sticking to this strategy, hold our players and staff accountable to the high standards that we have set for ourselves, and deliver results.”

Perry has been with NBA teams for the past 17 seasons, most recently as the executive vice president of basketball operations for the Sacramento Kings. Prior to the Kings, Perry was the Orlando Magic’s vice president & assistant general manager, where he was responsible for the day-to-day operations of the basketball operations department, player personnel matters and roster management and development. He spent parts of 12 seasons with the Detroit Pistons as vice president of basketball operations, director of player personnel and a collegiate scout. During his tenure, the Pistons reached the Eastern Conference Finals six straight times, made consecutive appearances in the NBA Finals and won the NBA Title in 2004. He also served as the Seattle SuperSonics assistant general manager in the 2007-08 season, during which the franchise drafted Kevin Durant. Perry spent three seasons as head basketball coach at Eastern Kentucky University and nine years as an assistant coach at the University of Michigan, UC Berkeley and Detroit Mercy. He graduated from Wayne State University in 1986 with a bachelor’s degree in marketing and was a member of the Warriors’ basketball team for two seasons after transferring from the University of Oregon.

“It is an honor to be joining Steve, Jeff and the New York Knicks as we begin a new chapter for this beloved franchise. I am excited for the opportunity and the responsibility bestowed upon me,” Perry said. “As general manager, I will work tirelessly to develop a culture that demands results, commitment and pride from everyone fortunate enough to be associated with our team - from our staff to our players. Nothing comes close to Madison Square Garden for basketball and it is our right and responsibility to showcase that tradition of excellence, day and night. I can’t wait to get started.”
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#50 » by Starks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
Starks wrote:Couldn't care less about statements. Especially when these come just a few days after signing Tim Hardaway Jr to 71/4.

I'll wait for the next moves but I'm not holding my breath, been a Knicks fan for too long.

Hardaway is 25 and getting better. A signing like this goes along with their plan.

There won't ever be enough brainwashing effort to make me believe that throwing the farm at him wasn't an absurd move.

Look, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was available at the time we handed THJr this stupidly massive contract. An actual, real 2-way player, and younger to top it off. Need I say more? Did we even try?

Keep reassuring yourselves with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:29 pm

They paid hardway on what they think he can become. Plus they had him in the building they know how he works on his game. Mills didn't agree with trading him. It's important to get played who know New York and how it works. Was it too much money yes. But is he young still yes. Donhe have upside yes. Did he improve on D yes. Do he know New York and how it is here yes. Do KCP no how to handle New York No. Did KCP avg 14.5 last year like hardaway No. Did KCP even want to come to New York ? Nothing wrong with taking a shot at a player who wants to be here and is only 25 and have upside to get better. Over pay for a young player for once is an improvement from over paying Noah can we agree on that ?
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,637

Post#52 » by Buttah304 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:

There won't ever be enough brainwashing effort to make me believe that throwing the farm at him wasn't an absurd move.

Look, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope was available at the time we handed THJr this stupidly massive contract. An actual, real 2-way player, and younger to top it off. Need I say more? Did we even try?

Keep reassuring yourself with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

Keep telling yourself KCP is a 2-Way Player

-he is extremely inefficient
-terrible 3PT shooter
-does not get to the line
-regressed offensively every year
-complete and utter dissapearing act during games

If you like guys who are a LOCK to shoot 38-40% FG every year while shooting 31-32% from 3 that's fine by me. But wake up from your dream telling you that he is a two way player.
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Asking melo to stay is smart his value is trash. What's wrong with you all. I mean when we do smart things you guys still upset. You really want to trade Melo for Mo and trash. And say we did good really ? Mo is not that good people he 24 yea. He from New York but he a back up at best. Stepping back is a good thing smh wake up people.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#54 » by BKlutch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Just draft Doncic or else.

Could you give us your scouting report on Doncic? Also how do you feelnabout us drafting Frank?

Doncic is good at everything and great at playmaking, he just lacks athleticism.

Ntilikina will be fine as long as he gets a lot of playing time.

The idea behind rebuilding with young guys is to play and develop them. So I'm expecting this, Mr. Perry and Mr. Mills.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#55 » by Hemispheres » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Stay strong Mills. Your contract negotiations sucked. But if this is truly your philosophy for the team and you'll be strong enough to stick with it then I think you'll end up being one of the better presidents this team has had in a loooong time.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#56 » by god shammgod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:Is this from the Onion or did he actually say this? Wow! Bring it on Mr. Mills, bring it on... (Well, actually, this is Phils plan, you know, the guy you just fired ;-)

phil had the job for 3 years - calderon, lance, afflalo, lopez, noah, rose, lee.....not exactly a youth movement
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#57 » by BKlutch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:To quote Mike Tyson, "Plan? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

Haha. Mike Tyson said lots of other stupid shyt, too.

Plans can actually be good. Executing well is even better better.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#58 » by Starks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
Starks wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Hardaway is 25 and getting better. A signing like this goes along with their plan.

Keep reassuring yourself with quotes, our decision-making still suck big time.

Keep telling yourself KCP is a 2-Way Player

-he is extremely inefficient
-terrible 3PT shooter
-does not get to the line
-regressed offensively every year
-complete and utter dissapearing act during games

If you like guys who are a LOCK to shoot 38-40% FG every year while shooting 31-32% from 3 that's fine by me. But wake up from your dream telling you that he is a two way player.

Last season:

KCP 35% from 3 with 5.8 attempts/game
THJ 35,7% from 3 with 5.3 attempts/game

I'm sorry but their offensive stats so far are pretty comparable. Small difference though: KCP is one of the best defensive 2s in the league, while THJ is a liability at best. Didn't Mills just say that they wanted to emphasize defense in his revolutionary statement? Yeah right.
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Did you watch hardway the last 30 games a starter last year. ?? I guess not if you did you would see hardaway up side. If you take the. Year stats then yes the same hardaway was coming off the bench if you watch when he was a starter it's not even close
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by Crunchknicks1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:49 pm

As a starter he avg 17.5 a game on a play off team.

Return to New York Knicks