ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Game of Thrones

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi, mrpoetryNmotion, King of Canada

User avatar
BeagleBoss
Head Coach
Posts: 6,151
And1: 2,782
Joined: Nov 26, 2011

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#41 » by BeagleBoss » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Melo = Sam
User avatar
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 25,877
And1: 9,268
Joined: Nov 12, 2004
Location: Bar stool

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#42 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 pm

The sexual tension between Tormund and Brienne could end winter
BAF: Mavs
C: Cody Zeller | Al Jefferson
F: Taj Gibson | Jordan Bell
F: Giannis Antetokounmpo | Trevor Ariza
SG: Bradley Beal | Jodie Meeks | Derrick White
PG: Jrue Holiday | Yogi Ferrell

IR
Solomon Hill
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,483
And1: 3,047
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#43 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Game Day was "fine." Didn't wow but didn't disappoint. Basically a very long winded way of saying, "Oooooh Stannis WAS telling the truth about the cache of Dragon glass!" :lol:

I get it, Arya is a fan favorite but for a girl who was the WORST Faceless Man ever to super spy assassin overnight...a bit annoying. I had NO IDEA who the hell that British song writer is.

Sansa "Woman-splaining" that Jon needs to focus on Cersei and ignore the White Walkers has gotta be the dumbest advice. Baelish is still in that girl's head.

Sam cleaning toilets...DAMN.
User avatar
ChaosHamster
Starter
Posts: 2,292
And1: 1,513
Joined: Oct 07, 2015

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#44 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

User avatar
Smash3
General Manager
Posts: 8,259
And1: 4,677
Joined: Apr 17, 2009

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#45 » by Smash3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 pm

I just realized it literally took her 7 years to get to where she was going :lol: Damn, time flies.
BAF 1.0: Portbland Trail Blazers:
G: Russell Westbrook |
G: Ben Mclemore | Rodney Mcgruder
F: Chandler Parsons | Thabo Sefolosha
F: Lebron James | Lance Thomas
C: Jonas Valančiūnas
|
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,483
And1: 3,047
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#46 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 am

ChaosHamster wrote:

:lol:


I love Preston Jacobs. BEST analysis on both books and TV show.
User avatar
Stannis
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,201
And1: 970
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States
Contact:
     

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#47 » by Stannis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am

Since it's only going to be a 7 episode season, I hope it's just a packed season after this EP1. I hope they don't go the same route with just build up and have a killer episode 6 or something.

Anyway, Sansa is right. Jon is making the same mistakes as Robb and Ned. At the least, he should give the Dreadford to a new Northern house. I don't think they mentioned anything about the Dreadford. Or maybe make the Karstarks and Umbers man the Night's Watch. The North Remembers.... He's setting himself up for another backstab. Stannis warned Jon that Ned's honor got himself killed.

Why is Jon given so much power? The Vale and Littlefinger won the North. Littlefinger has the Vale. He can just pick up his army and leave, backstab the North, etc. Sansa needs to kill LF, marry Robin, kill him, then marry Jon if the North really wants to have a chance of unity and a legit army.

I want to see House Reed and Howleed... Maybe we will finally see some of him when Cercei sends some people up North.


Dany has a decent chunk of the Ironborn, all of Dorne and the Reach. Dothraki + Unsullied. Tyrion's knowledge of King's Landing. And who knows what other smaller houses will arise to aid Dany. This is looking like a huge advantage for her. But it just can't go so well.

(1) I think Euron's gift has to be the dragon horn. Cercei will reject this gift thinking it is some kind of con. But Euron will go ahead anyway and use it and tame one of the dragons, kill one dragon, burn half her army. and leave Dany with only one Dragon. Euron will be killed off, but his plot purpose of dwindling Dany's army will fulfilled.

(2) Cercei accepts this alliance. Allows Dany to invade King's Landing. Tyrion unaware of this alliance, will go into Euron's trap. It will be cool if they use that long chain that trapped Stannis's ships in A Clash of Kings. We never got to see it. But this time of course, we will see Euron use it on Dany and her ships.

It's the only way to even things out. If she invades with 3 dragons, Ironborn, Dorne, Reach, Dothraki, Unsullied, that is a landslide victory. Stannis almost took Kings Landing with some of the Reach, his men, sellswords, and the Stormlands alone against a manned King's Landing and the wit of Tyrion and Varys.

I also have a feeling that Jaime and Cercei will flee to Castlery Rock once they find out the battle is lost.
https://youtu.be/YJTCXlT4c3E

"I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her? We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty."
User avatar
moocow007
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 89,190
And1: 15,392
Joined: Jan 07, 2002
Location: In front of the computer, where else?
       

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm

My guess is that Euron will kill Jaime after Jaime makes the final move towards "righteousness" (maybe by saving an important character...Tyrion possibly, maybe Dany). Episode 1 basically set the stage. No way both will be around.
Image
Build a Franchise 1.0 - Celtics
James Harden
Blake Griffin
Andre Drummond
Tony Allen
Dante Cunningham
Lance Stephenson
Andrew Bogut
Jordan Crawford
Tony Bradley
DJ Augustin
Cristiano Felicio
Quincy Acy
knickstape21
Veteran
Posts: 2,705
And1: 1,180
Joined: Dec 13, 2012

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#49 » by knickstape21 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Episode 1 was a good build up. Hope they capitalize!
:usa:
User avatar
mrpoetryNmotion
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 7,434
And1: 767
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Purgatory
     

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#50 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm

magnumt wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:
god shammgod wrote:very good. but when did the greyjoys becomes this big threat ? they're gonna somehow fight all the soldiers daenerys has ? that don't seem realistic.


Not totally off base - he's going to try and steal a dragon


The Greyjoys will be among Cersei's last allies and her hail Mary attempt to stop the oncoming onslaught.

The Greyjoys have also been building up too. Daenerys and Jon aren't the only ones.

The Ice Dragon will likely go to Jon or the Night's King.

--Mags :beer:


Where are you getting this ice dragon reference from?

On a related note, you do know that there are supposed season 7 plot spoilers on the internet currently, right? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't tied to that...
NotPhilJackson
Senior
Posts: 632
And1: 320
Joined: Jul 07, 2017

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#51 » by NotPhilJackson » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 pm

I haven't read any spoilers - I got a lot of these ideas from back when it was just books & there was a lot of **** floating on the internet. It may be rumored into life, who knows.. Maybe it wont happen. I can't imagine Dany just waltzes into Kings Landing with 3 dragons and wins the war. (Which is what she would do if she had 3 dragons at her disposal and the rest of the world had 0)
User avatar
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 31,607
And1: 7,594
Joined: Jun 23, 2008
         

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#52 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Stannis wrote:Since it's only going to be a 7 episode season, I hope it's just a packed season after this EP1. I hope they don't go the same route with just build up and have a killer episode 6 or something.

Anyway, Sansa is right. Jon is making the same mistakes as Robb and Ned. At the least, he should give the Dreadford to a new Northern house. I don't think they mentioned anything about the Dreadford. Or maybe make the Karstarks and Umbers man the Night's Watch. The North Remembers.... He's setting himself up for another backstab. Stannis warned Jon that Ned's honor got himself killed.

Why is Jon given so much power? The Vale and Littlefinger won the North. Littlefinger has the Vale. He can just pick up his army and leave, backstab the North, etc. Sansa needs to kill LF, marry Robin, kill him, then marry Jon if the North really wants to have a chance of unity and a legit army.

I want to see House Reed and Howleed... Maybe we will finally see some of him when Cercei sends some people up North.


Dany has a decent chunk of the Ironborn, all of Dorne and the Reach. Dothraki + Unsullied. Tyrion's knowledge of King's Landing. And who knows what other smaller houses will arise to aid Dany. This is looking like a huge advantage for her. But it just can't go so well.

(1) I think Euron's gift has to be the dragon horn. Cercei will reject this gift thinking it is some kind of con. But Euron will go ahead anyway and use it and tame one of the dragons, kill one dragon, burn half her army. and leave Dany with only one Dragon. Euron will be killed off, but his plot purpose of dwindling Dany's army will fulfilled.

(2) Cercei accepts this alliance. Allows Dany to invade King's Landing. Tyrion unaware of this alliance, will go into Euron's trap. It will be cool if they use that long chain that trapped Stannis's ships in A Clash of Kings. We never got to see it. But this time of course, we will see Euron use it on Dany and her ships.

It's the only way to even things out. If she invades with 3 dragons, Ironborn, Dorne, Reach, Dothraki, Unsullied, that is a landslide victory. Stannis almost took Kings Landing with some of the Reach, his men, sellswords, and the Stormlands alone against a manned King's Landing and the wit of Tyrion and Varys.

I also have a feeling that Jaime and Cercei will flee to Castlery Rock once they find out the battle is lost.


Sansa is gonna give Jon that reality check where Catelyn stayed too quiet. Using the Vale like she did, Sansa really set herself apart from Catelyn as someone who will be way more proactive (letting Jaime go notwithstanding). I think her advice is gonna be major for Jon handling the Game right and being more aware. I had thought the Ramsey experience would snap him into gear but looks like he'll need another L to wake up (and from the trailers, I think the Walkers will hand him that L by the end of this season).

I think Sansa needs control of the Vale but shouldn't marry Jon. They'll be allied regardless so they should save marriage for needed allies within Westoros or outside (the Tyrells, Sandsnakes and now Danaerys would all make valuable allies through marriage).

Agreed on Howland Reed, I feel like he and Bran will have to explain Jon's past together as Bran only glimpses scattered events and Reed was present for all of it.

I think you're right on Euron. I've seen sites suggesting his gift will be the Sandsnakes that are in King's Landing but that would feel really anti-climatic. The dragon horn would be a big boost. In the books it's more obvious but the show has also given hints that Euron uses blood magic to control the weather (the bridge scene namely) and the Dothraki can't fight on ships, so I'd guess that Dany takes a bad one at sea before recovering. There's also the ice dragon prophecy, so a dragon dying would fit although not in Westeros. I think Cersei goes full mad king with the wild fire and as she feels herself losing to Dany, she'll look to burn the city to the ground when Dany arrives...hopefully Jaime fulfills the Maggie the Frog's prophecy instead of Tyrion at that point. Dany doesn't have a military commander with experience in Westeros right now and Jaime would fit that position where Barristan was left behind.

Another notable, Jorah's greyscale cure might also be at Dragonstone...Stannis' daughter was cured there.
BAF - Knicks (14)
PG - Payton (70) D. Collison (18)
SG - Ntilikina (170) L. Williams (65) Goodwin(2)
SF - MKG (50) Bogdanovich (25) Ojeleye (2)
PF - Saric (125) Zbo (55) Hartenstein (3)
C - Gobert (380) Okafor (24)
User avatar
Blockwatcher
Starter
Posts: 2,420
And1: 980
Joined: Jan 23, 2014
Location: In the tank
 

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#53 » by Blockwatcher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Meat wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I always still find it VERY strange that all of this is so mainstream. I used to work in a book store in 99, and would hand sell GOT to people constantly. Kind of feels like 90s hip hop to me.

hahah yeah, i remember reading this in high school during our saturday D&D get togethers


D&D get togethers you say?
I thought with a name like meat you were a bodybuilder, now I'm thinking that was the name of your lvl 12 dwarven fighter...
1 John 2 : 15-17
User avatar
Meat
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,416
And1: 2,013
Joined: Jun 30, 2013
       

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#54 » by Meat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:
Meat wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I always still find it VERY strange that all of this is so mainstream. I used to work in a book store in 99, and would hand sell GOT to people constantly. Kind of feels like 90s hip hop to me.

hahah yeah, i remember reading this in high school during our saturday D&D get togethers


D&D get togethers you say?
I thought with a name like meat you were a bodybuilder, now I'm thinking that was the name of your lvl 12 dwarven fighter...

powerlifter but i can do both, besides it was 3.5 not exactly hardcore D&D
User avatar
tjumper78
Senior
Posts: 649
And1: 93
Joined: Jul 02, 2008
Location: NJ close enough to MSG

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#55 » by tjumper78 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:55 pm

King of Canada wrote:I've only watched two seasons! I've been a HUGE fan of the books since the 90s though. Some day I'll catch up on the show, but maybe not until the books are done. Books are way better than the show, and the show is pretty great. I re-read the whole series every time a new book comes out.


i was holding myself from watching until i saw the picture of the author.
User avatar
RottenApple
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,627
And1: 321
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: Germany
 

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#56 » by RottenApple » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:Color me underwhelmed......it's clearly building for the end, the dragonglass mine, uncle ironborn **** coming to town....but with so much hype, my wife and I were incredibly let down and slightly bored. The mass murder of Frey's was cool, but you immediately knew how it was happening as soon as the scene begun. For me, and I know this won't most likely ever happen....I needed a Lady Stoneheart sighting, or Little Finger getting his ass capped by Brianne....something with a little more gusto.

Emilia Clarks scene of getting back to her old home was what, like 8 minutes of walking from the beach till inside.....meh. I'm sure many others disagree, but that episode didn't do it for me.

On a side note.....loved Sam gagging doing the bedpan duty! :lol:


nope, have to agree. my hype was just way too crazy for this episode to satisfy me. loved arya scene, the 1st one, not the ed sheran ****. although they coulda been more creative with that scene.

i loved the jon/sansa "conflict" and how little lady mormont had the biggest balls of em all, once again. And sam yea, he did his thing. gotta love him.

everything else was rly kind of meh for me. of course build up and all. but i excpected way more from an 1 hour episode, in a season cut short to 7 (or 8?) episodes.
im bout dat action boss
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 6,850
And1: 1,204
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#57 » by NYKAL » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm

poeman wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I've only watched two seasons! I've been a HUGE fan of the books since the 90s though. Some day I'll catch up on the show, but maybe not until the books are done. Books are way better than the show, and the show is pretty great. I re-read the whole series every time a new book comes out.


Lol these books aren't coming out dude...GRRM is dying before the series finishes in books. The show has surpassed the books by the way.


might not be true but, I remember reading that he said he had no idea of how to resolve too many of the remaining pol lines and has allowed HBO to completely take over the story. Not sure if he ever intended to finish....book 1came out in 96. Its 2017.....even if dude does intend to finish, I won't be buying it. He lost me with that all Lannister book.

also, HBO won't be doing the Lady Stonehart storyline
User avatar
boomann21
RealGM
Posts: 25,679
And1: 2,367
Joined: Dec 07, 2005
Location: In the Wind

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#58 » by boomann21 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

NYKAL wrote:
poeman wrote:
King of Canada wrote:I've only watched two seasons! I've been a HUGE fan of the books since the 90s though. Some day I'll catch up on the show, but maybe not until the books are done. Books are way better than the show, and the show is pretty great. I re-read the whole series every time a new book comes out.


Lol these books aren't coming out dude...GRRM is dying before the series finishes in books. The show has surpassed the books by the way.


might not be true but, I remember reading that he said he had no idea of how to resolve too many of the remaining pol lines and has allowed HBO to completely take over the story. Not sure if he ever intended to finish....book 1came out in 96. Its 2017.....even if dude does intend to finish, I won't be buying it. He lost me with that all Lannister book.

also, HBO won't be doing the Lady Stonehart storyline


Araya is Lady Stonehart now.
Image
User avatar
boomann21
RealGM
Posts: 25,679
And1: 2,367
Joined: Dec 07, 2005
Location: In the Wind

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#59 » by boomann21 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Stannis wrote:Since it's only going to be a 7 episode season, I hope it's just a packed season after this EP1. I hope they don't go the same route with just build up and have a killer episode 6 or something.

Anyway, Sansa is right. Jon is making the same mistakes as Robb and Ned. At the least, he should give the Dreadford to a new Northern house. I don't think they mentioned anything about the Dreadford. Or maybe make the Karstarks and Umbers man the Night's Watch. The North Remembers.... He's setting himself up for another backstab. Stannis warned Jon that Ned's honor got himself killed.

Why is Jon given so much power? The Vale and Littlefinger won the North. Littlefinger has the Vale. He can just pick up his army and leave, backstab the North, etc. Sansa needs to kill LF, marry Robin, kill him, then marry Jon if the North really wants to have a chance of unity and a legit army.

I want to see House Reed and Howleed... Maybe we will finally see some of him when Cercei sends some people up North.


Dany has a decent chunk of the Ironborn, all of Dorne and the Reach. Dothraki + Unsullied. Tyrion's knowledge of King's Landing. And who knows what other smaller houses will arise to aid Dany. This is looking like a huge advantage for her. But it just can't go so well.

(1) I think Euron's gift has to be the dragon horn. Cercei will reject this gift thinking it is some kind of con. But Euron will go ahead anyway and use it and tame one of the dragons, kill one dragon, burn half her army. and leave Dany with only one Dragon. Euron will be killed off, but his plot purpose of dwindling Dany's army will fulfilled.

(2) Cercei accepts this alliance. Allows Dany to invade King's Landing. Tyrion unaware of this alliance, will go into Euron's trap. It will be cool if they use that long chain that trapped Stannis's ships in A Clash of Kings. We never got to see it. But this time of course, we will see Euron use it on Dany and her ships.

It's the only way to even things out. If she invades with 3 dragons, Ironborn, Dorne, Reach, Dothraki, Unsullied, that is a landslide victory. Stannis almost took Kings Landing with some of the Reach, his men, sellswords, and the Stormlands alone against a manned King's Landing and the wit of Tyrion and Varys.

I also have a feeling that Jaime and Cercei will flee to Castlery Rock once they find out the battle is lost.


I don't think Sansa is right because she has not seen the White Walkers and what they can do. The reason that Jon is preaching Unity in the face of those two houses past transgressions is because he sees it is a Bigger fight to be fought and they will need all the hands they can get to fight off the White Walkers. Sansa is thinking too small compared to what is happening on the other side of that wall.

Jon has United the rest of the houses so I'm fairly certain his army equals or is greater then the House of Vale army at this point. When they took on the Bolton's he only had House Mormont, the Wildlings, and a couple other houses who's armies were not very big at all. Jon also came back from the Dead so people are looking at him like some type of God.

In the end I think Jamie will end up killing delusional Cercei and becoming the King and Queen slayer.
Image
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 15,483
And1: 3,047
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#60 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 pm

1. The reason why Jon "Stark" is allowed to rule Winterfell is due to the fact, this is still a chauvinistic Northern society and they respect military prowess over "soft hands." Jon bled on the battlefields even though "Sandra" Stark cut a deal with the Vale. Now, here's the problem. Deals with Littlefinger are like deals with Goldman Sachs. Baelish has: the Vale, Harrenhal, and he wants those castles Jon gave back to their families. Should be interesting as I can see Cersei cutting a deal with the Vale to unbalance the North. Jon doesn't have a Wildling army to help. Vale's army suffered very little casualties going into to battle of the Bastards.

2. Apparently the Lannister soldiers were too busy singing songs to receive that report a young girl with a highborn accent aditted to killing all the Freys.

3. Apparently Sansa Stark forgot about Moat Cailin which is the only road that goes through miles of marshland from the South.

4. Cersei kind of forgot the Battle of Black Water. They left Dragonstone empty? Meaning it gives "Danny" girl a tactical strike point to dock a navy and lay siege to King's Landing with dragons.

What's my point? The women are taking a more active role in the show but the writers are making them sound like idiots.

Return to New York Knicks