ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Game of Thrones

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,504

Re: OT: Game of Thrones 

Post#821 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:Fat Belwas :)

100% the best character they left out.

Spoiler:
and I didn't forget Lady Stoneheart either.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,339

Post#822 » by gavran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:41 pm

boomann21 wrote:Are you guys arguing about the realism of a show about Face Stealing Little Girls, Dragons and, Walking dead Ice men.

That's a stupid argument. When you write a story, you can bulid any world you want, with any rules you want. However, when the rules are already set, you can't just randomly break them for the plot's sake, and expect the audience to just ignore it, because you have dragons in it.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#823 » by MrProb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 pm

j4remi wrote:

Spoiler:

Arthur Dayne for me
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,339

Post#824 » by gavran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm

MrProb wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Spoiler:

Arthur Dayne for me

Artur Dayne wasn't left out.
MrProb
Analyst

Post#825 » by MrProb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:52 pm

gavran wrote:
MrProb wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Spoiler:

Arthur Dayne for me

Artur Dayne wasn't left out.

Nope but I just want to find out more about him, he was such a bad ass.

5 minutes of screen time, he left me in awe.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#826 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm

MrProb wrote:Nope but I just want to find out more about him, he was such a bad ass.

I'd love to see one of the spin-offs focus on Robert's war and include more about the beast mode King's Guard team that was riding at that point. Rhaegar's another one I'd love to see more of and expanded in the spin-offs.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrProb
Analyst

Post#827 » by MrProb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrProb wrote:Nope but I just want to find out more about him, he was such a bad ass.

I'd love to see one of the spin-offs focus on Robert's war and include more about the beast mode King's Guard team that was riding at that point. Rhaegar's another one I'd love to see more of and expanded in the spin-offs.

Exactly :pray:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,985

Post#828 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm

GRRM already confirmed the "spin-offs" won't be about Dunk & Egg OR Robert's Rebellion. :(
Free Palestine
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#829 » by J9Starks3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Really would have loved to see more (or anything beyond "the north remembers" from 1 old lady) about the The Great Northern Conspiracy and the Manderlys (Frey pies!), etc ... also, of course, the real Coldhands not just 20 seconds of Uncle Benjin...
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#830 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Stannis wrote:GRRM already confirmed the "spin-offs" won't be about Dunk & Egg OR Robert's Rebellion. :(

So the two most interesting potential spin offs are off the table but they've got four other options that GRRM helping with when he could be finishing one of the TWO books still left in the book series...I think I hate him.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#831 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:24 pm

J9Starks3 wrote:Really would have loved to see more (or anything beyond "the north remembers" from 1 old lady) about the The Great Northern Conspiracy and the Manderlys (Frey pies!), etc ... also, of course, the real Coldhands not just 20 seconds of Uncle Benjin...

They REALLY dogged the Northern Lords. The most loyal cats in the books are played as petty and untrustworthy in the show. I hate that it got spun that way due to time constraints.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

J9Starks3
Assistant Coach

Post#832 » by J9Starks3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:24 pm

j4remi wrote:
Stannis wrote:GRRM already confirmed the "spin-offs" won't be about Dunk & Egg OR Robert's Rebellion. :(

So the two most interesting potential spin offs are off the table but they've got four other options that GRRM helping with when he could be finishing one of the TWO books still left in the book series...I think I hate him.

You think he could finish this in 2 books (or that he'll finish the series at all)?! you sweet summer child....
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach

Post#833 » by J9Starks3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 pm

j4remi wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:Really would have loved to see more (or anything beyond "the north remembers" from 1 old lady) about the The Great Northern Conspiracy and the Manderlys (Frey pies!), etc ... also, of course, the real Coldhands not just 20 seconds of Uncle Benjin...

They REALLY dogged the Northern Lords. The most loyal cats in the books are played as petty and untrustworthy in the show. I hate that it got spun that way due to time constraints.

Yeah it was one of my favorite parts tbh ... thinking about who was in on it, what they were planning, etc... that and Arya's training time was awesome in the book...not so much in the show.

But I have accepted that its the only way I'll know the "ending" of this story I've invested so much time on...and that its essentially turned into network TV/michael bay with dragosns
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#834 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:32 pm

J9Starks3 wrote:Yeah it was one of my favorite parts tbh ... thinking about who was in on it, what they were planning, etc... that and Arya's training time was awesome in the book...not so much in the show.

But I have accepted that its the only way I'll know the "ending" of this story I've invested so much time on...and that its essentially turned into network TV/michael bay with dragosns

Speaking of the Northern Conspiracy; Mance Rayder is another character I wish the show had given a bigger role in the story. I liked Arya using warg tricks inadvertently in the extended training version too.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#835 » by spree8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

j4remi wrote:
spree8 wrote:
j4remi wrote: accept that the showrunners took something GRRM got away with via subtlety and turned it up to a Spinal Tap eleven.

Would you agree that this is the reason for it seeming that way...

spree8 wrote:There were so many storylines that you didn't notice that much. But now, with there being so few storylines, it's much more noticeable.

Not really. The Robert example happened when there weren't any storylines branching off. But Robert's arrival time wasn't gonna impact the story so no one really cared how long it took, fast or slow. Jon Snow's circumstances were life and death...so it was noticeable. That's what I mean by subtlety.

There are tons of other examples throughout the show in similar situations. I mean look at Tywin saving KL in the nick of time out of the blue. LF mentions the Tyrells as a potential ally and next time we see him he showed up to save the day the second before Cersei drinks poison and Tyrion is about to die on the field.

In Jon's case, that's what I mean about the writers likely feeling the audience is smart enough to get the hint that it's been long enough and not have to spell it out or hold their hand the whole time.

It's unfortunate people are freaking out about this.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,592

Post#836 » by Meat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

boomann21 wrote:Are you guys arguing about the realism of a show about Face Stealing Little Girls, Dragons and, Walking dead Ice men.

really? facepalm, genre not withstanding they are still rules to storytelling and literature.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,592

Post#837 » by Meat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 pm

bran the builder or i hope they just leave westeros altogether, all the way east to yi-ti? i mean overthrowing a godking would make for good tv
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#838 » by spaceballer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 pm

j4remi wrote:

I believe they already said no. They said most of the pertinent storylines, resolutions, and information from Robert's Rebellion are already exposed to viewers in the current show, so they do not want to use that setting for a spinoff.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#839 » by spree8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

spaceballer wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I believe they already said no. They said most of the pertinent storylines, resolutions, and information from Robert's Rebellion are already exposed to viewers in the current show, so they do not want to use that setting for a spinoff.

Then they better do some serious flashbacks in the finale or the last season. We need to see the tournament at Harrenhal, the secret wedding, and the Battle of the Trident.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#840 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm

spree8 wrote:There are tons of other examples throughout the show in similar situations. I mean look at Tywin saving KL in the nick of time out of the blue. LF mentions the Tyrells as a potential ally and next time we see him he showed up to save the day the second before Cersei drinks poison and Tyrion is about to die on the field.

In Jon's case, that's what I mean about the writers likely feeling the audience is smart enough to get the hint that it's been long enough and not have to spell it out or hold their hand the whole time.

It's unfortunate people are freaking out about this.

I'd have to rewatch to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that all the pieces were laid out and in place episodes in advance and building up to the moment of Tywin's arrival. Tywin was tied down by Rob Stark but Rob switched targets; LF had been having dealings beforehand and the Tyrells were a clear option thanks to Stannis killing Renly; the wildfire and chain epiphanies for Tyrion. All of that was put in place before the episode of the battle started right? That's how you get away with the "nick of time arrival" there. It's not the same imo as Gendry running to the wall, getting a raven out and Dany travelling all the way there before Jon froze to death within fifteen minutes. Again, one took it's time and thus snuck through without feeling so obvious while the other was impossible to miss.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks