ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Dunkirk

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: OT: Dunkirk 

Post#21 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:23 pm

The civilians didn't just save the British army but the LAST forces of Europe.

This is how the Polish were indoctrinated into the UK as a minority, which might sound strange to modern America but back before everyone had an iPhone, your national identity is how you were registered as a minority.

It was an epic military blunder....for the Germans who HAD the Allies by the balls but didn't press far enough. Blame herr Fürer for that one.

I really LOVED this movie. It's a meditation on what defines bravery and what defines cowardice. Where does self-perservation fall in the equation?

There's very little dialogue. Very little action. People die in the most unfortunate of ways.

Really it's not about the enemy but when you have half a million desperate individuals from the UK, Europe, etc.

The hardest part to digest is the most heroic person ends up paying the biggest price.
Spoiler:
George dies because Cillian Murphy's character is trying to take control of the boat, lands awkwardly.

Tom Hardy is an ace pilot forced to go it alone, downs 4 bombers, 3 Enemy Ace, including downing a plane with no fuel...then lands on the beach, torches in plane right before the Germans take him...and that's the last of him.

Most war films are about the battles but this is kind of a little British nationalism and what YOU the Civilian can do for YOUR country.

and I liked it.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,951

Post#22 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I really like this movie. I'm not a WW2 buff or anything, but I think this movie gave a very close genuine look and feel of how WW2 (or Dunkirk at least) really was. There was no love stories or drama added, just raw war.

Hans Zimmer kills it again. The effects and camera work were amazing.
Free Palestine
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#23 » by NYKBaller » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 pm

I was disappointed, wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude

Return to New York Knicks