ImageImageImageImageImage

Marc Spears: Gerald Madkins leaves Clippers to become Knicks Assistant GM

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,704

Re: Marc Spears: Gerald Madkins leaves Clippers to become Knicks Assistant GM 

Post#61 » by F N 11 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Forget who has power just get the culture change going and make the make right moves as a collective.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#62 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 pm

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
stuporman wrote:Power shift!.... oh wait, I mean .... culture change!

Nope...In the words of Melo "its a power move" :lol:

They...scared...now?
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#63 » by N Y K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
HEZI wrote:
I thought Houston was the GM of the Westchester G-League team

http://www.nba.com/knicks/front-office/

he was both. i really hope gaines stays on.

Read on Twitter

aw right on time frank :lol:

why would someone even write that?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#64 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:26 pm

When I first was scrolling through my phone today and saw this, I thought Herb Williams was trying to be slick and put on a mustache.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
egelband
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#65 » by egelband » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Knicks Byke wrote:whatever :lol:

i just want to see positive results.

Yeah really. None of us have any idea what's happening behind the scenes. My assumption is most of these guys, more or less, know their stuff. A lot of success is timing, patience, luck. The Knicks haven't had much of any of that. And the leadership has been lacking. But to get wound up by this guy and that guy is a waste of energy.
As above, I just hope it works out.
I dunno.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#66 » by magnumt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:To what degree he's totally responsible for these picks or signings is debatable (Malone was for the Knicks, for instance, correct?) but this fleshes out his resume, in a good way:

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/gerald-madkins-hired-director-basketball-operations

edit* For those who don't want to click, the meat:

"Directly reporting to newly appointed Vice President of Basketball Operations Gary Sacks, Madkins will work closely with Sacks on all facets of the team’s basketball operations.

Madkins joins the Clippers after serving as the Vice President of Player Personnel for the New Orleans Hornets for the past two seasons. In his role with the Hornets, Madkins was responsible for overseeing the scouting staff, salary cap and database management, pro, college, international, and developmental league talent evaluation, as well as assisting the general manager with all front office duties. While in New Orleans, the Hornets drafted Anthony Davis with the first overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

Prior to his role in New Orleans, Madkins served as the Director of Scouting for the Houston Rockets from 2008-2010. During his time in Houston, the Rockets advanced to the Western Conference semi-finals in 2009 and acquired Trevor Ariza and Kevin Martin via free agency. The Rockets also drafted Sergio Llul (34th pick) and Chase Budinger, (44th pick) in the 2009 NBA draft, and Patrick Patterson (14th pick) in the 2010 NBA draft. In addition to overseeing the scouting staff and evaluating college, developmental league and international talent, Madkins assisted the basketball operations staff with statistical analysis. Madkins also served as the Vice President of Player Personnel for Houston’s NBA Developmental League affiliate, the Rio Grand Valley Vipers.

Prior to his role with the Rockets, Madkins served as the Director of West Coast Scouting for the former Seattle Supersonics and current Oklahoma City Thunder. During his tenure, the Sonics drafted Russell Westbrook (4th pick), Serge Ibaka (24th pick) and DJ White (29th pick) in the 2008 NBA draft. Madkins also served as a scout for the New York Knicks from 2003-07, when the Knicks notably drafted Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick in 2003. The Knicks also drafted Channing Frye (8th pick) Nate Robinson (22nd pick) and David Lee (30th pick) in the 2004 NBA draft, and Wilson Chandler (17th pick) among others during Madkins’ tenure."

He's good at finding gems (including the 2008 haul Draft). He Drafted Ariza with us, then got him back for the Rockets.

He will likely help fortify our Domestic Scouting and Day-to-Day logistics, while Wilson runs the International Division.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,416

Post#67 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Jay10 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Jay10 wrote:That move means Houston was demoted or fired.

Houston was the Assistant General Manager under Phl and Steve.

Remember the report of Griffin wanting to replace/fire him before agreeing to the job?

Word must be out that he's Dolan's mole on the front office.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,100

Post#68 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jay10 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Remember the report of Griffin wanting to replace/fire him before agreeing to the job?

The new Herb Williams
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#69 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:48 pm

It is pretty hilarious how the ghost of isiah still looms over this franchise literally 10 years later.

But yeah, seems to have a good eye for young talent. I'll take it.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,254
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#70 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:49 pm

N Y K wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
http://www.nba.com/knicks/front-office/

he was both. i really hope gaines stays on.

Read on Twitter

aw right on time frank :lol:

why would someone even write that?

He is a witch, just stirring his cauldron of poison. The more of us who get sick from his shyt, the more clicks he will get.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#71 » by magnumt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:It is pretty hilarious how the ghost of isiah still looms over this franchise literally 10 years later.

Maybe he's the one who Isaiah is instead getting credit for? I mean all the gems Zeke Drafted were taken while he was here. He also found gems for Houston AND OKC. :dontknow:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#72 » by BKlutch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jay10 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Dolan ought to have that mole checked before it turns into cancer.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#73 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Steve Mills is still the team president so I'll believe the whole culture change rhetoric when I see it.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#74 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 am

3toheadmelo wrote:this is what i found about him

After his retirement from basketball, he acted as an assistant coach for California State University, Stanislaus, and for his alma mater, the UCLA Bruins,

In 2003 was named a player scout for the New York Knicks.

During the 2007-08 season he served as Director of West Coast College Scouting for the Seattle SuperSonics.

On September 10, 2008, Madkins was named Director of Scouting by the Houston Rockets.

In 2010, he joined the New Orleans Hornets as their Vice President of Player Personnel

On September 24, 2012, Madkins was hired by the Los Angeles Clippers as their director of basketball operations, reporting to vice president of basketball operations Gary Sacks.

In June 2014, Clippers coach Doc Rivers was promoted from senior vice president to president of basketball operations, and Madkins was named Director of Scouting as part of Rivers' restructuring. He was promoted to assistant general manager prior to the start of the 2015-16 season

he scouted for us in 2003 lol

So to sum this up: he was a Knicks scout when we drafted Sweetney, aside from obvious picks such as Davis and Durant what good value picks has he "scouted?" Gaines is better...

I bet Madkins doesn't even own a dashiki
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#75 » by BKlutch » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:01 am

Swoosh_Stripes wrote:Steve Mills is still the team president so I'll believe the whole culture change rhetoric when I see it.

This is it for Steve. Either he mans up or forever we will know he had his cojones cut off by Jimmy D.

Swoosh_Stripes
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#76 » by Swoosh_Stripes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:this is what i found about him

After his retirement from basketball, he acted as an assistant coach for California State University, Stanislaus, and for his alma mater, the UCLA Bruins,

In 2003 was named a player scout for the New York Knicks.

During the 2007-08 season he served as Director of West Coast College Scouting for the Seattle SuperSonics.

On September 10, 2008, Madkins was named Director of Scouting by the Houston Rockets.

In 2010, he joined the New Orleans Hornets as their Vice President of Player Personnel

On September 24, 2012, Madkins was hired by the Los Angeles Clippers as their director of basketball operations, reporting to vice president of basketball operations Gary Sacks.

In June 2014, Clippers coach Doc Rivers was promoted from senior vice president to president of basketball operations, and Madkins was named Director of Scouting as part of Rivers' restructuring. He was promoted to assistant general manager prior to the start of the 2015-16 season

he scouted for us in 2003 lol

So to sum this up: he was a Knicks scout when we drafted Sweetney, aside from obvious picks such as Davis and Durant what good value picks has he "scouted?" Gaines is better...

I bet Madkins doesn't even own a dashiki

Russell Westbrook was considered an overreach when OKC drafted him, I believe Madkins was the West Coast college scout for Seattle/OKC, and Ibaka was drafted 24th in the same draft.
Crunchknicks1
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#77 » by Crunchknicks1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 am

Frank Isola Hates the Knicks so much. He love the Drama he look for angles to make things look bad in the Knicks end. If things go well what will this man do ? Like what will he write about.
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#78 » by AllanHoustonFan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:It is pretty hilarious how the ghost of isiah still looms over this franchise literally 10 years later.

The one thing Isiah was good at was finding talent in the draft; It was just everything else that was terrible :lol:
#MKGA
BernardKing
Junior
And1: 64

Post#79 » by BernardKing » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 am

thebuzzardman wrote:To what degree he's totally responsible for these picks or signings is debatable (Malone was for the Knicks, for instance, correct?) but this fleshes out his resume, in a good way:

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/gerald-madkins-hired-director-basketball-operations

edit* For those who don't want to click, the meat:

"Directly reporting to newly appointed Vice President of Basketball Operations Gary Sacks, Madkins will work closely with Sacks on all facets of the team’s basketball operations.

Madkins joins the Clippers after serving as the Vice President of Player Personnel for the New Orleans Hornets for the past two seasons. In his role with the Hornets, Madkins was responsible for overseeing the scouting staff, salary cap and database management, pro, college, international, and developmental league talent evaluation, as well as assisting the general manager with all front office duties. While in New Orleans, the Hornets drafted Anthony Davis with the first overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

Prior to his role in New Orleans, Madkins served as the Director of Scouting for the Houston Rockets from 2008-2010. During his time in Houston, the Rockets advanced to the Western Conference semi-finals in 2009 and acquired Trevor Ariza and Kevin Martin via free agency. The Rockets also drafted Sergio Llul (34th pick) and Chase Budinger, (44th pick) in the 2009 NBA draft, and Patrick Patterson (14th pick) in the 2010 NBA draft. In addition to overseeing the scouting staff and evaluating college, developmental league and international talent, Madkins assisted the basketball operations staff with statistical analysis. Madkins also served as the Vice President of Player Personnel for Houston’s NBA Developmental League affiliate, the Rio Grand Valley Vipers.

Prior to his role with the Rockets, Madkins served as the Director of West Coast Scouting for the former Seattle Supersonics and current Oklahoma City Thunder. During his tenure, the Sonics drafted Russell Westbrook (4th pick), Serge Ibaka (24th pick) and DJ White (29th pick) in the 2008 NBA draft. Madkins also served as a scout for the New York Knicks from 2003-07, when the Knicks notably drafted Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick in 2003. The Knicks also drafted Channing Frye (8th pick) Nate Robinson (22nd pick) and David Lee (30th pick) in the 2004 NBA draft, and Wilson Chandler (17th pick) among others during Madkins’ tenure."

Nice resume, but In regards to 2006 draft, I'm hoping he was a voice against taking Balkman at #20 (passing on Rondo #21, and Kyle Lowry #24).
"I firmly believe that respect is a lot more important, and a lot greater, than popularity." - Julius Erving
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#80 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:57 am

I like this. Keep adding solid nba guys to help push the culture forward. Thank you Steve!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to New York Knicks