ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Knicks 2016-2021: The Knicks 5 Year Plan

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NotPhilJackson
Senior
And1: 320

NY Knicks 2016-2021: The Knicks 5 Year Plan 

Post#1 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:32 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a lot, but worth the read. I did a lot of work putting this together and the numbers aren't just made up from thin air. Give it a look and tell me this is not exactly what we should be doing. Not worrying about Kyrie Irving right now, not looking to trade Melo for an albatross contract and a 1st. This is what needs to be done.

Right or wrong?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017-18

Salaries owed: 96.7M - Leaves us roughly 3M

Roster at start of season:
Baker/Frank
Lee/Dotson
THJ/Kuz/Thomas
Melo/KP6/Willy
KP6/Noah/KOQ

Keep Melo trade talks open until deadline where we try and ship him. If we don't get an offer that allows us to dump all of Melo's salary and take on an asset or two we WANT, keep him and let him walk. We can revisit a sign & trade scenario at the end of the year. Flip KOQ & Lee for assets.

Roster after all star break:
Frank/Randle
Baker/Dotson
THJ/Kuz/Thomas
Willy/Noah
KP6/Noah

2018-19

Salaries owed: 52.4M (this is not including any salaries we pick up in the LEE, MELO, & KOQ trades) - leaves us roughly 52.6M in cap space.

Ideally we draft a lottery pick - I wont assume we got a top 3 because we probably wont.

Roster at beginning of season:
Frank/Randle
Baker/Dotson
THJ/2018 Draft pick/Kuz
Willy/Noah
KP6/Noah

This year we try and flip Lance at the deadline, hopefully a team could use his services it doesn't matter what we get in return we just want him off the books. This is also the time we try and move Noah, with 2 years left on his deal and perhaps a resurgence of some kind, we may be able to get him with minimal damage to ourselves, perhaps we ship some of the assets we got back from Lee & KOQ in a package to move Noah.

2019-20

Salaries owed: around 39M roughly (if we successfully moved noah & thomas) - Leaves us with roughly 65M in cap space.

Resign Dotson (if he has progressed)

Target Free Agents: Tobias Harris (4yr) at starting SF (will be 27 & native NYer), Cory Joseph (4yr) at backup PG/6th man (will be 27), Tyson Chandler (2yr)

Frank/Joseph/Baker
THJ/Dotson/Baker
Tobias Harris/2018 Draft pick
KP6/Willy/2019 Draft pick
Chandler/Willy/2019 draft pick

This is the year ideally that we begin to compete. We shoot for playoffs from this point on.

2020-21

Salaries owed: Assuming we gave Harris 25M, Joseph 13M, Chandler 5M - say 85M owed - 22M is left for us

Resign WHG (if he has progressed) 5M-10M a year, really depends on his growth.
Resign KP6 (max for him will be around 20M I think)

Frank/Joseph/2020 draft pick
THJ/Dotson/2020 draft pick
Tobias Harris/2018 Draft pick
Chandler/Willy/2019 draft pick

2021-22

Salaries owed: around 80M owed - leaves us with roughly 27M assuming cap is 110M by this year which is the low end of what it could be. We have around 30M to offer a free agent.

Target Free Agents: Giannis (max offer)

This is where I have to stop and break things down for everybody. This will obviously not work out exactly as planned - but at this point, we are poised to offer at least 1 max and that is definitely going to have to be directed at Giannis. If we strike out on Giannis, we can go for DeRozen or Beal - or sign THjr and another role player. Ideally, one of our draft picks will have flourished into a starter, in which case that makes any random person besides say Frank & KP6 expendable from the roster and thus more money on the books for us. Lets assume now we hit the lotto with 1 out of 3 of our draft picks - and managed to clear space to go after another big name.

Target Free Agents: Andre Drummond if not him then Steven Adams

Frank/2020 draft pick
Giannis/Dotson/2020 draft pick
Tobias Harris/2018 draft pick
Drummond/Willy/2019 draft pick

Above, as I mentioned, at least ONE of our draft picks will have flourished into a starter. This is where you would have traded away Tobias Harris and then slot Giannis in either the 2 or 3 depending on what position our "good" draft pick played. If it happened to be a big man, then forget the Drummond signing and keep Tobias at the 3 and Giannis at the 4. Giannis is the only definite here.

I will list other notable players we can sign for each year below, in order to let your imagination run considering we wont always sign who we want (I've bolded the players that are both likely to be obtainable and would fit our roster.. and Kawhi):
2019: Klay, Kemba DeAndre, Durant, Melo, Lebron, Westbrook (all arguably too old after bolded players)
2020: Barnes, Irving, Crabbe, Kawhi, Whiteside
2021: Fournier, Dame & CJ, Gobert, Otto Porter Jr

Author's Note:

I am super bored at work so I made this, and it is as accurate as I could have made it based on free agency classes and projected salary caps as well as projected salaries. It is meant to give an outline and clear idea of what the Knicks organization SHOULD BE DOING since holding a press conference about going younger, longer and more athletic. Obviously there will be those who disagree with a portion here or there, but as true Knicks fans I think we can all agree this is the ideal trajectory of our team over the next 4 years. We will have begun to really compete after the 2019 season and come 2021 we will be in a position to win after one more big signing. Giannis is and should be that signing. We should be have seen back to back playoffs by then, and should be missing just one piece. Our ability to sign 2 to 3 big names will stem from two of our starters being home grown and not in the phases of their careers to be offered the absolute maximum a player can receive. We should be able to build at least 1 more starter and 2 more role players through the next 4 drafts. This will further allow us to make the 2 - 3 big signings we need that I have highlighted in the post. I am aware the roster wont look exactly like that, in any year listed. It is just an outline, and should be treated as such when you look to comment and give your thoughts. Ideally, we will have 3 starters built through the draft, if not three starters than 2 and a 6th man. We want Giannis over all other available free agents over the next 4 years, so building a team around and towards that goal should be priority. It works because he can play the 2 or the 3, which gives us flexibility in our signings up until that point. No more bad contracts, no more stupid trades or signings.

Our team needs a 5 year plan, this should be it.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: NY Knicks 2016-2021: The Knicks 5 Year Plan 

Post#2 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

What happened to your source of Melo to Houston for Evan Turner fried chicken head? FOH
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#3 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Mecca wrote:What happened to your source of Melo to Houston for Evan Turner fried chicken head? FOH

^on my d*ck.

What happened? That trade still might go down. Just because I am told something doesn't mean that is what I want, or what should happen. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, though, it was super relevant.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm

NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:What happened to your source of Melo to Houston for Evan Turner fried chicken head? FOH

^on my d*ck.

What happened? That trade still might go down. Just because I am told something doesn't mean that is what I want, or what should happen. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, though, it was super relevant.

You weren't told anything. You don't have a source. You don't know Dan Patrick or her daughter.
Brooklyn Nets
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#5 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:

^on my d*ck.

You weren't told anything. You don't have a source. You don't know Dan Patrick or her daughter.

Again, completely irrelevant to this thread.

By the way, Dan Patrick is a man.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 pm

NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:
^on my d*ck.

What's relevant is you lost credibility or respect from this board by creating fake news.
Brooklyn Nets
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#7 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:

What's relevant is you lost credibility or respect from this board by creating fake news.

Are you the representative for this board? Or are you some salty dude who gets mad too easily? I think it's the latter. You seem to have a stranglehold on my penis and don't wanna let it go for your life. Trade didn't go down yet, don't say I lost my credibility - I never gave it a time frame you nincompoop. Again, please keep flooding my thread though with your random hate. Lifes too short bro, stop crying all the time over a basketball forum.

Mecca
RealGM

Post#8 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:53 pm

NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:

Are you the representative for this board? Or are you some salty dude who gets mad too easily? I think it's the latter. You seem to have a stranglehold on my penis and don't wanna let it go for your life. Trade didn't go down yet, don't say I lost my credibility - I never gave it a time frame you nincompoop. Again, please keep flooding my thread though with your random hate. Lifes too short bro, stop crying all the time over a basketball forum.

At the end of the day I'm just keeping it a buck, since you fail to realize nobody is reading this thread or taking you serious after you cried wolf.
Brooklyn Nets
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#9 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:

At the end of the day I'm just keeping it a buck, since you fail to realize nobody is reading this thread or taking you serious after you cried wolf.

You want so badly to be fed fake news. Nobody cried wolf and you aren't keeping it "a buck" lol you are hating. It's funny you don't see that. When a Melo trade goes down, and it isn't what I said it would be - Call me a phony. I have not backed down from what I said I was told from MY SOURCE.

Spoiler:
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#10 » by Bklyn&company » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

In before the lock! lol
Mecca
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

NotPhilJackson wrote:
Mecca wrote:
NotPhilJackson wrote:

You want so badly to be fed fake news. Nobody cried wolf and you aren't keeping it "a buck" lol you are hating. It's funny you don't see that. When a Melo trade goes down, and it isn't what I said it would be - Call me a phony. I have not backed down from what I said I was told from MY SOURCE.

Spoiler:

I'm gay? What are you 9 years old? Way to shoot yourself in the foot clown.

in before the lock.
Brooklyn Nets
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,164

Post#12 » by Garbagelo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 pm

I stopped at starting Ron Baker over Frank.
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#13 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 pm

I.. I am 31 years old

NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#14 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 pm

It's cool how people are able to just completely talk off topic and ruin an entire thread on RealGM because they are salty.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#15 » by DOT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 pm

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,164

Post#16 » by Garbagelo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 pm

How does one have 504 posts within less than a month of joining?
NotPhilJackson
Senior

Post#17 » by NotPhilJackson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Garbagelo wrote:How does one have 504 posts within less than a month of joining?

Started a new job a month ago - Much more freedom. This is how I've been killing my time - I participate actively in the live Melo & Kyrie threads. You want a log? You writing a book? Building up a legal case?
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#18 » by magnumt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 pm

:sigh:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks