ImageImageImageImageImage

GM Mode: You're in control of the Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

GM Mode: You're in control of the Knicks 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:13 am

It's the offseason : let's play GM mode

So you were just given the keys to our beloved franchise :

Lay out your plan for the next 5 years and also how you plan on getting there. The more realistic the better, obviously.

Here I go:

My first move is to pull melo from all trade talks. With his value dipping so low, and now the chatter around Kyrie, it seems like the worst time to trade melo.

How desperate will the Rockets or Blazers get ? Will Melo get desperate to leave NY and waive his clause for other teams ( considering he can opt out at the end of the season regardless). If nothing materializes I am keeping melo and he can opt out this time next year.

My second order of business would be tank commander. An idea that will be strongly pushed around the organization now that I'm involved, the Knicks as a franchise will be on board with losing out games for the next two seasons.

My logic? Looking at MY team from an outsiders point of view, the Knicks have been so bad for so long 15 years almost 20. Why not lose out two more seasons for the chance at LaMelo, Zion, Porter, Doncic?

I will be looking to move the contracts of Noah, lee, and THJr., but I'm not desperate. By the time my vision comes to fruition we will be rid of all of those guys.

Frank
Porter
Zion
KP
HernanGomez

While maintaining flexibility to sign marquee free agents?

Which brings me to my next topic. If I need to trade a first rounder to rid myself of the Noah or Lee contract I will... and here is why it would be a 2023 first rounder.... because in the 2019 off season I would be making a hard run at somebody who wants to play for the city of New York, Kyrie Irving.

Hypothetically I'm looking at

Irving
Porter
Zion
KP
Hernangomez

Frank off the bench

Either way, then next two seasons I'm commanding the tank, because I believe in and want the opportunity to choose top 2 in the next two drafts.

Trust in J.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Re: GM Mode: Your in control of the Knicks 

Post#2 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:20 am

I take the job for 5/75. I buyout Melo and try to trade KP. I get fired. I drop a mic on the way out of MSG.
:beer: RIP mags
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,275

Re: GM Mode: You're in control of the Knicks 

Post#3 » by DOT » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:29 am

Okay, first problem is you mention LaMelo Ball in the same sentence as Zion, Porter, and Doncic. The kid will be lucky to be a role player in the NBA unless he puts in a metric f*ckload of work into his game

Second, you put Lee's contract in the same sentence as Noah's. Lee is on a good deal and could be traded for a pick, not with a pick

Third, why not just let contracts expire instead of trading assets to get them? Or at the very least don't move them until you absolutely need the cap space, cause by then it'll cost less to get rid of them.

Fourth, the only way we get in the top 2 this year is if KP, Willy, and Timmy all miss significant amounts of time (read, KP can't play for more than 10 games this year). There is no scenario where we pick top 2 in 2 years.

Fifth, you really wanna tell an already frustrated KP that he is not good enough to win on his own, and that we have to go out of our way to lose games?
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#4 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:34 am

Sixth. Didn't Greenie already start a thread like this.

Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#5 » by Yodi2007 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:44 am

Here's what I'd do....

1.Declare KP and Hernangomez off limits
2.Trade only Melo for Irving
3.If Melo doesn't want to go to the Cavs, then he will ride the pine and ban him from MSG
4.Tank for the Future Zion, Doncic, or Porter
5.Give Horneseck 2 years to improve the over all team, maybe three depending on the draft and FA signings
6.Hire Oakley as one of the conditioning coaches
7.Wont trade first rounders for trash over the hill players
8.Wont trade first rounders for injury plagued players
9.Talk Noah into retirement
10.If Noah refuses, then he can join his ole pal Melo on the bench
11.Get ride of Swiss Beats annoying MSG intro (**** was DOA the first day)
12.Id Actually Keep THJ for a year or two, he could flourish in Horney's system like he did in Bud's
13.Get a Big PG like Anfernee Hardaway to teach Frank how to play the game with a big like KP
14.Get a Big like Hakeem or Ewing to teach KP if they would/could
15.Fire all the yes men
16.Hire top scouts for the Euro League
17.Build our own brand of ball
18.Tell SaS to go F him self if he doesnt like what we are building here, cause that MFr' is never happy with anything!
slacker55
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#6 » by slacker55 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 2:58 am

I'd start by hiring Luca Brasi.

Then I'd get Timmy, Baker, Noah and LT in a room and make them "offers they can't refuse."

And shortly after waking up to a severed horse head in his bed, Melo will find himself on an plane headed to Cleveland.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,665

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:43 am

IB4TL
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#8 » by dakomish23 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 6:24 am

I'm like Luca Brasi, Vito's best hit man.
That's godfather **** /Next lit plans.
Revolvers spit. I'm too tough to bargain with /
and you don't want the God to pull up /
the cars are sick

That album was terrible but that song was fire.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#9 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:08 pm

Step 1: Take the bonus money from my signing and hire the most professional hit man money can buy
Step 2: Have Dolan assassinated
Step 3: Enjoy Knicks championship 5 years later while serving life sentence in Federal SuperMax facility
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#10 » by dakomish23 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:13 pm

In an ideal world, the type of moves we should be making at this stage of the rebuild are for

Prospects
Assets
Shorter contracts

Since Melo to OKC doesn't seem to have much hope, I'm kicking this idea around with some of their fans

Lee KOQ LFT for Kanter Singler Ferguson CHI 2nd

Prospect? Check.
Asset? Check.
Shorter contract? Check.

Somebody countered with

Lee KOQ Kuz for Kanter Singler CHI 2nd

Which would give us two of the 3 things.

viewtopic.php?p=57975575#p57975575

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#11 » by swisscheeseD » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:56 pm

Forget GM Mode...I want to see Dolan get Game of Thrones'd.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,446

Post#12 » by RHODEY » Tue Aug 1, 2017 3:59 pm

Yodi2007 wrote:Here's what I'd do....

1.Declare KP and Hernangomez off limits
2.Trade only Melo for Irving
3.If Melo doesn't want to go to the Cavs, then he will ride the pine and ban him from MSG
4.Tank for the Future Zion, Doncic, or Porter
5.Give Horneseck 2 years to improve the over all team, maybe three depending on the draft and FA signings
6.Hire Oakley as one of the conditioning coaches
7.Wont trade first rounders for trash over the hill players
8.Wont trade first rounders for injury plagued players
9.Talk Noah into retirement
10.If Noah refuses, then he can join his ole pal Melo on the bench
11.Get ride of Swiss Beats annoying MSG intro (**** was DOA the first day)
12.Id Actually Keep THJ for a year or two, he could flourish in Horney's system like he did in Bud's
13.Get a Big PG like Anfernee Hardaway to teach Frank how to play the game with a big like KP
14.Get a Big like Hakeem or Ewing to teach KP if they would/could
15.Fire all the yes men
16.Hire top scouts for the Euro League
17.Build our own brand of ball
18.Tell SaS to go F him self if he doesnt like what we are building here, cause that MFr' is never happy with anything!

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#13 » by dakomish23 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 7:56 pm

dakomish23 wrote:In an ideal world, the type of moves we should be making at this stage of the rebuild are for

Prospects
Assets
Shorter contracts

Since Melo to OKC doesn't seem to have much hope, I'm kicking this idea around with some of their fans

Lee KOQ LFT for Kanter Singler Ferguson CHI 2nd

Prospect? Check.
Asset? Check.
Shorter contract? Check.

Somebody countered with

Lee KOQ Kuz for Kanter Singler CHI 2nd

Which would give us two of the 3 things.

viewtopic.php?p=57975575#p57975575

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1602380&p=57982793#p57982298

Final deal:

OKC gets Lee KOQ Kuz
NYK gets Kanter Singler Ferguson

Knicks roster
Frank Sessions Baker
THJ Dotson
Ferguson Singler
KP LFT
WHG Kanter Noah

OKC roster
Westbrook Felton Semaji
Roberson Lee Abrines
PG MCD Huestis
Patterson Grant Kuz
Adams KOQ Collison

We get a good prospect to grow with Frank KP WHG and 12.5 in 2019, giving us near 7-9 max contract money that year.

OKC fills adds a lot of good depth and lineup flexibility to make a run at GSW

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#14 » by FlashFlood » Tue Aug 1, 2017 8:39 pm

I'd start by trading for young players 25 and under. I would trade the best players on the team for 1st round draft pick, picks, or again young players under 25. I'd keep the coach and convert the roster to a fast-paced run and gun team, which will maximize value across the roster.

After KP gets a season in the playoffs as the primary option on offence, I would convert some of the young players and low potential vets for one or two key pieces to make a push at the playoffs against a Cleveland team with a Lebron in his mid 30s, or a GSW roster that is on its way out. I would bring in the next great coach when possible.
Uncle_Furlz
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#15 » by Uncle_Furlz » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:37 pm

I would absolutely clean house. Granted Hornacek hasn't really had the chance to run the system that he wants, but I would go in a direction of building from the foundation up. For head coach I would strongly go after Tim Legler, I'm not sure if he has ever thrown his name into coaching consideration but the guy is extremely knowledgeable. There are few ESPN analyst that really are able to break down game footage the way he does. Plus he played in that 90's gritty era, I'm sure he can bring a toughness to his coaching style that the Knicks haven't seen since Van Gundy. Along with Legler, fill out coaching staff with defensive minded former players and/or seasoned assistants that are looking for bigger roles. As far as asst. GM, I would strongly consider Jalen Rose

Noah - would be gone in trade in the 2019/2020 season as a massive expiring.
Lance - traded as soon as possible. His salary is not that bloated but he hasn't been productive at all since he inked that new contract.
Lee - would move only for a first rounder, or a SF prospect by the 2017/2018 deadline.
THjr - I would give him 2 years to develop his skillset to justify the contract, if not he would be moved in the 2019/2020 season either by attaching Noah or as a separate trade.
Melo - I have no intention of resigning Melo once he opts out or expires, and if there isn't a trade available by the 2018 deadline that brings back a pick and a young prospect, then tough cookies Melo. You forced your way to NY but there is no way I'm selling short to make you happy. If he doesn't like it again tough he would be riding the bench, and even better if he purposely misses games I would enforce a strict penalty for breach of contract.
Willy - at his rookie scale contract I would only let him go in trade if something absolutely amazing came along. I don't agree that he has been stellar as some of you have pointed out, although he is a good prospect on a cheap contract.
KP- On my first day as GM I want a sit down with KP, even if I have to travel to Latvia or Africa or wherever he is balling out for the summer. I'm putting all the cards on the table, "Look KP this is your team, you are the number 1 option going forward. What can we do to help you bring a championship to NY? Who do you want to play with?" Who do you want us to bring in to help with your development as a big man coach, Dirk? Pau? Duncan? Garnett? I'm giving the kid the keys to the kingdom, the official "King James in Cleveland type treatment" King Kris if you will, and making it absolutely clear that he will have to be patient with the building of the team.
Frank - keep him for his rookie contract and give him a chance to develop either as the starting PG or a solid 6th or 7th man, if not let him walk or use him as a trade chip. To be honest I don't have any expectations of Frank at this point, as he is a major wild card from this year's draft. He could very well be the next great thing or a total bust.
Kuz - I like this kid, he is a nice spark off the bench and would retain him as long as he is willing to extend his contract for not more than the $5-7 million range

Everyone else - I would allow to either expire or be traded for 2nd rounders. Bench would be replaced with a combo of draft picks, vets that are ring chasing, and D league standouts looking for their shot at a guaranteed contract.

The approach is to build in the next 3 drafts as the team owns all of their firsts and several seconds, however I wouldn't be preaching tank. It would be nice to end up with a top 3 pick in at least one of upcoming 3 draft classes, but it wouldn't be the ultimate goal. By freeing all of that cap and not signing large contracts until 2020, I'm going all in by maxing KP and going after Towns by convincing KAT to come to NY to become 1 part of the best big man duo in the league. It would be a hard task considering what Minny has built in the past 2 years. I think rebranding the team as a tough and edgy bruiser type team with emphasis on the 4 and 5 spots would bring a new type of force in a very weak Eastern Conference. With KP and Towns a solid pass first PG would be needed (doesn't need to be a superstar, but more of a strong facilitator), along with defensive minded wings i.e. Bruce Bowen, Rick Fox, Ron Artest, Robert Horry, Scotty Pippen types. I would hope that a Scotty Pippen/Penny Hardaway type drops to the team in one of the drafts prior to 2020.

I'm assuming that some of you may chime in and say that the spacing may not work with KP and KAT, but I believe that these 2 players may be able to recreate a similar "Twin Tower" scenario to the Duncan and D.Robinson 1997-1998 championship team.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#16 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 2, 2017 1:16 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:Sixth. Didn't Greenie already start a thread like this.

I did. :lol:
Greenie
RealGM

Post#17 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 2, 2017 1:21 am

Uncle_Furlz wrote:I would absolutely clean house. Granted Hornacek hasn't really had the chance to run the system that he wants, but I would go in a direction of building from the foundation up. For head coach I would strongly go after Tim Legler, I'm not sure if he has ever thrown his name into coaching consideration but the guy is extremely knowledgeable. There are few ESPN analyst that really are able to break down game footage the way he does. Plus he played in that 90's gritty era, I'm sure he can bring a toughness to his coaching style that the Knicks haven't seen since Van Gundy. Along with Legler, fill out coaching staff with defensive minded former players and/or seasoned assistants that are looking for bigger roles. As far as asst. GM, I would strongly consider Jalen Rose

Lance - traded as soon as possible. His salary is not that bloated but he hasn't been productive at all since he inked that new contract.
Lee - would move only for a first rounder, or a SF prospect by the 2017/2018 deadline.
THjr - I would give him 2 years to develop his skillset to justify the contract, if not he would be moved in the 2019/2020 season either by attaching Noah or as a separate trade.
Melo - I have no intention of resigning Melo once he opts out or expires, and if there isn't a trade available by the 2018 deadline that brings back a pick and a young prospect, then tough cookies Melo. You forced your way to NY but there is no way I'm selling short to make you happy. If he doesn't like it again tough he would be riding the bench, and even better if he purposely misses games I would enforce a strict penalty for breach of contract.
Willy - at his rookie scale contract I would only let him go in trade if something absolutely amazing came along. I don't agree that he has been stellar as some of you have pointed out, although he is a good prospect on a cheap contract.
KP- On my first day as GM I want a sit down with KP, even if I have to travel to Latvia or Africa or wherever he is balling out for the summer. I'm putting all the cards on the table, "Look KP this is your team, you are the number 1 option going forward. What can we do to help you bring a championship to NY? Who do you want to play with?" Who do you want us to bring in to help with your development as a big man coach, Dirk? Pau? Duncan? Garnett? I'm giving the kid the keys to the kingdom, the official "King James in Cleveland type treatment" King Kris if you will, and making it absolutely clear that he will have to be patient with the building of the team.
Frank - keep him for his rookie contract and give him a chance to develop either as the starting PG or a solid 6th or 7th man, if not let him walk or use him as a trade chip. To be honest I don't have any expectations of Frank at this point, as he is a major wild card from this year's draft. He could very well be the next great thing or a total bust.
Kuz - I like this kid, he is a nice spark off the bench and would retain him as long as he is willing to extend his contract for not more than the $5-7 million range

Everyone else - I would allow to either expire or be traded for 2nd rounders. Bench would be replaced with a combo of draft picks, vets that are ring chasing, and D league standouts looking for their shot at a guaranteed contract.

The approach is to build in the next 3 drafts as the team owns all of their firsts and several seconds, however I wouldn't be preaching tank. It would be nice to end up with a top 3 pick in at least one of upcoming 3 draft classes, but it wouldn't be the ultimate goal. By freeing all of that cap and not signing large contracts until 2020, I'm going all in by maxing KP and going after Towns by convincing KAT to come to NY to become 1 part of the best big man duo in the league. It would be a hard task considering what Minny has built in the past 2 years. I think rebranding the team as a tough and edgy bruiser type team with emphasis on the 4 and 5 spots would bring a new type of force in a very weak Eastern Conference. With KP and Towns a solid pass first PG would be needed (doesn't need to be a superstar, but more of a strong facilitator), along with defensive minded wings i.e. Bruce Bowen, Rick Fox, Ron Artest, Robert Horry, Scotty Pippen types. I would hope that a Scotty Pippen/Penny Hardaway type drops to the team in one of the drafts prior to 2020.

I'm assuming that some of you may chime in and say that the spacing may not work with KP and KAT, but I believe that these 2 players may be able to recreate a similar "Twin Tower" scenario to the Duncan and D.Robinson 1997-1998 championship team.

What do you do if KP says he wants to play with Melo?
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#18 » by swisscheeseD » Wed Aug 2, 2017 1:28 am

Greenie wrote:
Uncle_Furlz wrote:I would absolutely clean house. Granted Hornacek hasn't really had the chance to run the system that he wants, but I would go in a direction of building from the foundation up. For head coach I would strongly go after Tim Legler, I'm not sure if he has ever thrown his name into coaching consideration but the guy is extremely knowledgeable. There are few ESPN analyst that really are able to break down game footage the way he does. Plus he played in that 90's gritty era, I'm sure he can bring a toughness to his coaching style that the Knicks haven't seen since Van Gundy. Along with Legler, fill out coaching staff with defensive minded former players and/or seasoned assistants that are looking for bigger roles. As far as asst. GM, I would strongly consider Jalen Rose

Sign Me7o Trimble, reiterating the importance of how exit interviews are an important means of clear and concise communication as to wants and needs of both sides and that by skipping it, led to such miscommunication.

#staynimb7etrimb7e
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
Greenie
RealGM

Post#19 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 2, 2017 1:31 am

swisscheeseD wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Sign Me7o Trimble, reiterating the importance of how exit interviews are an important means of clear and concise communication as to wants and needs of both sides and that by skipping it, led to such miscommunication.

#staynimb7etrimb7e

:lol:
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#20 » by malik959 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:05 am

First off of course Willy, KP, and Frank are untouchable unless we're getting a High caliber two way player
Trade:
Knicks outgoing:
Melo

Incoming:
Tobias Harris
Sanley Johnson
Ish Smith

Why? As much as I love Melo it's time for a change and time to let the youth take over. Also bring TH home.

Detroit outgoing:
Tobias Harris
Sanley Johnson
Ish Smith

Incoming:
Trevor Ariza
Ryan Anderson

Why? Ariza is in the final year of his contract with 20 Mil coming off the books. Anderson brings them a threat from deep shooting at 40%.

Houston Outgoing:
Trevor Ariza
Ryan Anderson

Incoming:
Melo

Why? Melo! People say that there's not enough ball to go around which I totally disagree. Paul knows how to move the ball and control the flow. He knows how to get players involved.

Then trade Courtney Lee for Danny Green straight up
Green's contract is one year shorter.

Lineup
Sessions/Frank/Smith
THJ/Green/Baker/Dotson
Harris/Johnson/Kuz
KP/Thomas
Willy/Noah/K'O

Unless Wily and KP take a huge step up this year I'd expect to be a 35-39 win team, possible 10th pick in this draft in-which we grab Miles Bridges or Jarred Vanderbilt

Return to New York Knicks