ImageImageImageImageImage

melo thread 6 - Updt PG. 34 (Woj Tweets: NYK & HOU Reengage)!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Re: melo thread 6 - Updt PG. 34 (Woj Tweets: NYK & HOU Reengage)! 

Post#1041 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 pm

red96 wrote:
lowermerionfilms wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6v4poar

It's convoluted but I think I've got one:

KNICKS GET
---VETERANS ON 3 YEAR DEALS
Ryan Anderson (3 years)
Eric Gordon (3 years)
Evan Turner (3 years)
Moe Harkless (3 years)
---YOUNG TALENT
Zach Collins (4 years)
Caleb Swanigan (4 years)
Isaiah Taylor (2 yrs)
---CONTRACTS TO CUT
Trevor Ariza (could be kept)
Ed Davis
Tim Quarterman

KNICKS TRADE (154.7 in salary out)
Carmelo Anthony (2 years)
Joakim Noah (3 years)
Courtney Lee (3 years)
Kyle O'Quinn (2 years)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (1 year with team option)
Chaisson Randle (2 years)

The Knicks take on additional money over the next 3 years ($57 million), but the 2019-20 cap is already a mess between Noah, Hardaway, Lee, Thomas and KP's extension. Yes, they pay a serious luxury tax, but they get some talent in those big contracts and add two first round picks from the 2017 draft, both with great upside. Anderson and Gordon might actually have some trade value as well. Here's the new team:

C - Hernangomez/Zach Collins
PF - Porzingis/Anderson/Swanigan
SF - Hardaway/Harkless/Thomas/Beasley
SG - Gordon/Turner/Dotson
PG - Ntilikina/Baker/Sessions

BLAZERS GET
Courtney Lee (3 years)
Kyle O'Quinn (2 years)
Mindaugas Kuzminskas (1 year with team option)
2020 Rockets 1st Round Pick (lottery protected)

BLAZERS TRADE
Evan Turner (3 years)
Moe Harkless (3 years)
Ed Davis (1 year)
Zach Collins (3 years)
Caleb Swanigen (4 years)
Isaiah Taylor (1 year)

Blazers give up their 2017 draft but get the second-best player in the trade (Courtney Lee) on a good contract (3 years, 12M per year), a deccent young prospect in Kuzminskas and a 2020 1st round pick. The total difference in contracts saves Portland $60 million dollars over the next 4 seasons ($55 million in the next 3 seasons). Cap problem solved!

ROCKETS GET
Carmelo Anthony (2 years)
Joakim Noah (3 years)
Chaisson Randle (2 years)

ROCKETS TRADE
Ryan Anderson (3 years)
Eric Gordon (3 years)
Trevor Ariza (1 year)
Ed Davis (1 year)
Ike Taylor (2 years)
Tim Quarterman (1 year)
2020 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

Rockets get the guy they want, the best player in the deal. It costs them a future #1 (lottery protected) and depth but the outgoing and incoming contracts are almost the same value. They still start CP3, Harden, Melo, Mbah A Moute and Capella - probably the second-best starting lineup in the West.
I don't think there's a team in the league that would even give horrible players on expiring contracts for Noah and Melo. Maybe those 2 to Memphis for Parsons and fillers?

:nod:
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#1042 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I sure hope the team isn't thinking anywhere close to some of ideas I just read on here.

It's better that the team just keep Melo than to take back a **** package. if he really wants to go to Houston, he can go in the offseason by simply opting out. And then there's a chunk of space without having to take back crap players.

For whatever it's worth, I'm currently arguing with posters on the GB who are claiming you guys are going to be forced to take back garbage in the Melo trade. I think that argument is pretty stupid, if the Knicks were so desperate as to take anything in return for Melo, he'd be a Rocket weeks ago.

I really don't see why anyone thinks the Knicks HAVE to take back bad contracts when they don't HAVE to deal Melo.

All the Knicks have to do is rebuild with youth like they say they are and Melo will be happy to leave......next season.

Unless of course he opens up his options to include teams with real assets to use in trades.

Exactly my point. I think the GB has it really overblown with regards to the Knicks NEED to trade Melo. It's not a great situation if he's brought back, but it's also not the end of the world. Like, what's the worst that happens, there's drama and the Knicks stink? Welcome to every Knicks season for the past 5 years (sorry, but it's true). The Knicks have zero incentive to take a bad deal, if they did, Melo would have been a Rocket weeks ago.

I was discussing the latest Woj report that the CJ and Dame are making some mild inroads into piquing Melo's interest in Portland. CJ and Melo are working out together in NY right now and according to Woj, he's at least starting to think about it a little tiny bit. Still a long ways off from him waiving his NTC for Portland tho.

Regardless, it seems pretty clear at this point the Knicks are interested in some pieces the Blazers would move. They've been hot after Harkless all summer and if the Knicks are dead set against no Leonard, the Blazers could throw together a package that doesn't involve him.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#1043 » by Juggynaut » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I sure hope the team isn't thinking anywhere close to some of ideas I just read on here.

It's better that the team just keep Melo than to take back a **** package. if he really wants to go to Houston, he can go in the offseason by simply opting out. And then there's a chunk of space without having to take back crap players.

For whatever it's worth, I'm currently arguing with posters on the GB who are claiming you guys are going to be forced to take back garbage in the Melo trade. I think that argument is pretty stupid, if the Knicks were so desperate as to take anything in return for Melo, he'd be a Rocket weeks ago.

Lol that poster is talking about an explosive situation yet the only real reason the Knicks want to trade Melo now is for the youngsters to develop together and tank. The Knicks have been through so much worse situations than this, the Knicks can hold onto Melo for a year. I do agree with him we won't get a good return in the end if we trade Melo. I'm just hoping for a good enough deal.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,435

Post#1044 » by RHODEY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I really don't see why anyone thinks the Knicks HAVE to take back bad contracts when they don't HAVE to deal Melo.

All the Knicks have to do is rebuild with youth like they say they are and Melo will be happy to leave......next season.

Unless of course he opens up his options to include teams with real assets to use in trades.

Yep Meanwhile a team like Houston , HAS TO add talent if they hope to compete with Goldenstate.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#1045 » by FutureKnicksGM » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:42 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
FutureKnicksGM wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Which is a good player IMO. It's not ok athletic it's exceptional athleticism with the 3&D profile.

I'm not saying this guy is the next Tmac or Kobe. I just think he's a nice prospect to have growing up next to Frank KP WHG & he could potentially fill a much needed role.

I could care less about getting guys who help the team win games now. I want prospects / assets / shorter contracts.

But you trade away 3 guys who can get assets in individual deals (Melo, Lee, KOQ), all in one deal and get back only one asset in Ferg. At least get back a future first.

You also get a nice piece of cap space for 2019 & some younger guys you can give a shot too & 3 2nds, one of which should be in the 31-35 range.

What are the better assets Melo Lee KOQ are going to get us individually?

Better than that. Especially if you take back dead weight on similar deals. How many times did you post that trade idea sending Lee to CHA for their lotto pick. And now he is a throw in for a future second. Obviously that wasn't going to happen, but Lee & KOQ are solid players who can help win now teams, let alone Melo. We can do better.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#1046 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Exactly my point. I think the GB has it really overblown with regards to the Knicks NEED to trade Melo. It's not a great situation if he's brought back, but it's also not the end of the world. Like, what's the worst that happens, there's drama and the Knicks stink? Welcome to every Knicks season for the past 5 years (sorry, but it's true). The Knicks have zero incentive to take a bad deal, if they did, Melo would have been a Rocket weeks ago.

I was discussing the latest Woj report that the CJ and Dame are making some mild inroads into piquing Melo's interest in Portland. Seems pretty clear at this point the Knicks are interested in some pieces the Blazers would move. They've been hot after Harkless all summer and if the Knicks are dead set against no Leonard, the Blazers could throw together a package that doesn't involve him.

I agree. Just looking at the landscape, in-prime stars aren't commanding multiple picks or intriguing prospects. I'm not really expecting much of a return for Melo, certainly not interesting in the Ryan Anderson's or Kanter's of the NBA just to picks than can be bought or some no name players.

Just let the guy expire naturally, the team is rebuilding. if he isn't happy, he knows what he can do.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#1047 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Juggynaut wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Lol that poster is talking about an explosive situation yet the only real reason the Knicks want to trade Melo now is for the youngsters to develop together and tank. The Knicks have been through so much worse situations than this, the Knicks can hold onto Melo for a year. I do agree with him we won't get a good return in the end if we trade Melo. I'm just hoping for a good enough deal.

Yeah, he's going way overboard with how "explosive" the situation is. He's overhyping it to ridiculous degrees. As for what you guys get back.... it's probably going to depend on what you consider "good return". I mean, it's not going to be anything that blows your socks off, but then again, look at what the Clippers got for CP3.... Fans generally tend to overrate what value a "star" player brings back in trades. Hell, no team that's traded a star player has gotten "good return" this summer. CP3, PG13, and Dwight (if you still consider him a star) have all been traded this summer and all for pretty weak returns. I feel like I'm missing someone else too that got mediocre return. You can even go back to last trade deadline with Boogie.

If the Knicks can get a guy or two that's under 25, maybe a pick (tho not required) and don't take on any horrible contracts, I think that has to be considered "good return" given the NBA landscape of what star players are going for these days.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#1048 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I really don't see why anyone thinks the Knicks HAVE to take back bad contracts when they don't HAVE to deal Melo.

I was discussing the latest Woj report that the CJ and Dame are making some mild inroads into piquing Melo's interest in Portland. Seems pretty clear at this point the Knicks are interested in some pieces the Blazers would move. They've been hot after Harkless all summer and if the Knicks are dead set against no Leonard, the Blazers could throw together a package that doesn't involve him.

I agree. Just looking at the landscape, in-prime stars aren't commanding multiple picks or intriguing prospects. I'm not really expecting much of a return for Melo, certainly not interesting in the Ryan Anderson's or Kanter's of the NBA just to picks than can be bought or some no name players.

Just let the guy expire naturally, the team is rebuilding. if he isn't happy, he knows what he can do.

LOL, that's funny, I was just typing up this exact same thought.

If Melo opens up to Portland, I think they'd send out Harkless and Davis. Maybe a bit of negotiation with Leonard vs Aminu. Maybe Portland gives a 1st with Leonard and no pick with Aminu? Bias aside, that would be a fairly good package for Melo, again, given the landscape of the NBA like we were talking about.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1049 » by malik959 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

Did you take that snap yourself?

There were a lot of fake news about deleted tweets before..

That's not a fake tweet though.

This is how it went down:

Mills: hey Melo we finally got a trade for you to Houston!

Melo: finally, sends tweet "peace god!"

Mills: oh wait Detroit has pulled out of the three team deal.

Melo: :banghead: deletes tweet
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#1050 » by NOOB77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm

So Harkless Davis Leonard and a 1st for Melo?? Strong pass Might as well take Anderson and a 1st it is the same package.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1051 » by malik959 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 pm

I'd take Harkless ove Anderson any day, heck I'll take Davis over Anderson so count me in
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#1052 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:

Or that is being floated out by someone not in Melo's camp. More likely someone in the Knicks camp leaking that to get the Rockets to pay more. Also has been just reported Melo told the Knicks the Rockets and the Rockets only. Now sudden reports that he may go to Portland. Next we will hear about OKC again. Just a stupid cycle of the same info over and over again.

It shouldn't matter where the info came from. It all benefits the Knicks.

But I personally believe this info came from Melo's camp. CAA is dusting off the 2011 Knicks/Nets playbook. Woj is just playing the SAS role this time around.

Morey wont play that game. Plus the difference is he is super close with CP3. If Morey wants truthful info he can just ask CP3 to get it and that is that. Clearly they have a plan to play together and I think that is the only reason or major reason why CP3 left the Clippers because they decided to not trade for Melo.

Knicks were back-channeling with Melo back in 2011. It didn't change anything.

What choice does Morey have other than playing the game? If he wants Melo, this is how it is going to go.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#1053 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

If Melo opens up to Portland, I think they'd send out Harkless and Davis. Maybe a bit of negotiation with Leonard vs Aminu. Maybe Portland gives a 1st with Leonard and no pick with Aminu? Bias aside, that would be a fairly good package for Melo, again, given the landscape of the NBA like we were talking about.

I think the Blazers can get this deal done, just a matter of want on their end, but if the want melo, I don't think that happens.

Either way, the thing I doubt some understand is, and even Knicks fans reading some of the ideas thrown around is.....

The Knicks have no pressure to trade Melo....absolutely none. They aren't in the Nets situation, Knicks have all their 1st rounders going forward, and some 2nd's, of which 2nd's can easily be purchased as well. The rebuild can easily be internal until the cap space opens up again for some imported talent.

These ideas being thrown around doesn't truly benefit the Knicks and so far the rumblings of what Houston is willing to offer doesn't either.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#1054 » by NOOB77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 pm

GONYK wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
It shouldn't matter where the info came from. It all benefits the Knicks.

But I personally believe this info came from Melo's camp. CAA is dusting off the 2011 Knicks/Nets playbook. Woj is just playing the SAS role this time around.

Morey wont play that game. Plus the difference is he is super close with CP3. If Morey wants truthful info he can just ask CP3 to get it and that is that. Clearly they have a plan to play together and I think that is the only reason or major reason why CP3 left the Clippers because they decided to not trade for Melo.

What choice does Morey have other than playing the game? If he wants Melo, this is how it is going to go.

Maybe he only wants Melo for the right price unlike us I don't think he will fold.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#1055 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
NYKfan77 wrote:

Maybe he only wants Melo for the right price unlike us I don't think he will fold.

That is a different story altogether.

If Morey leaves the table, then it is what it is.

We would just keep Melo and let him opt out, which would be incentive for Melo to put pressure on Morey.
xsaberx
Bench Warmer
And1: 413

Post#1056 » by xsaberx » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Important points:

We don't have to move Melo at all

If we move Melo we should get something - we shouldn't trade him for nothing

Something is either:
a relatively good player on a reasonable contract
a 1st round draft pick
cap space

Of these 3, the Rockets can only offer a draft pick

So Melo for a draft pick is fine

But they need to send out Anderson to make the money line up

Anderson is a negative asset so a positive asset must also be included to even it out

So we can keep it simple and take Anderson with another 1st round draft pick

If we want to move Anderson next year for some reason, we can attach one of the draft picks we got from the Rockets and he will be easy to move with only 2 years remaining

Done
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#1057 » by DusterBuster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I agree. Just looking at the landscape, in-prime stars aren't commanding multiple picks or intriguing prospects. I'm not really expecting much of a return for Melo, certainly not interesting in the Ryan Anderson's or Kanter's of the NBA just to picks than can be bought or some no name players.

I think the Blazers can get this deal done, just a matter of want on their end, but if the want melo, I don't think that happens.

Either way, the thing I doubt some understand is, and even Knicks fans reading some of the ideas thrown around is.....

The Knicks have no pressure to trade Melo....absolutely none. They aren't in the Nets situation, Knicks have all their 1st rounders going forward, and some 2nd's, of which 2nd's can easily be purchased as well. The rebuild can easily be internal until the cap space opens up again for some imported talent.

These ideas being thrown around doesn't truly benefit the Knicks and so far the rumblings of what Houston is willing to offer doesn't either.

With regards the Blazers, I agree with you that getting Melo to agree to come is probably going to ultimately stop any chance of a deal. It's nice to hear Dame and CJ are picking up some yards towards maybe maybe maybe change his mind, but I have a hard time believing they'll carry that ball into the endzone. As for the Blazers "want", I think that desire is real. They'd have desire to get him for a couple reasons. One, to keep him away from other - already stacked - Western Conference teams. Two, belief that he does make them a better team. Three, to start to change the perception of Portland as a place players don't want to come to. So yeah, if by some chance Dame and CJ are lucky enough to fully change Melo's mind, I think we could see a deal get done that makes both fan bases fairly happen.

As to the point of pressure... To play a little devils advocate and find some common ground like I always do, I won't go as far to say there's "no pressure" on the Knicks to trade Melo. With as much has gotten out in the media, there's clearly some. Now, the level/amount of pressure is WILDLY overrated by some at RealGM. As a Blazer fan, we were (and still are by some) bombarded with posters telling us how much pressure the Blazers were under to dump salary and that they'd be giving up every asset not nailed down to do so.... well, that wasn't so much the case as they were able to dump significant salary fairly easily and without any picks included as compensation. Fans, particularly here at RealGM, tend to go WWWWAAAAYYYYY too far with one extreme or another rather than just trying to find a simple compromise/middle ground.

At the end of the day, I totally agree with you about most of these trades being thrown out. There's no pressure on the Knicks to take a bad deal. Maybe some pressure to get a deal done, but pressure to get a deal done does not equal being forced to take a bad deal. That is a non-starter for the Knicks, as it should be.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1058 » by Mecca » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Mecca wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Don't overthink that mp. Melo was caught wearing the 12 jewels Nation of Islam symbol the other day and repped it captioning it peace God. Melo talking 5% not a trade.

My dude. Get the Info correct if you going to speak on my Flag. Its not called the "12 jewels Nation of Islam symbol" Its the called the UNIVERSAL FLAG.

I apologize. I was on my phone not really thinking deep. You right.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#1059 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Knicks are playing it cool. Listen to whatever Houston has to say. Wait until they say right thing. If they don't...oh well. 25 minutes a night max and focus on KP and the kids. Done and done.
:beer: RIP mags
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1060 » by Jose7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 pm

Scott cant lose..let melo opt out after the year..worst case scenario we are a lottery team again and he's on the roster for another year..whatever...just develop the youngings and get rid of that clown herb williams light
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson

Return to New York Knicks