ImageImageImageImageImage

Charles Oakley accepts deal to dismiss misdemeanor charges

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Charles Oakley accepts deal to dismiss misdemeanor charges 

Post#1 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:30 pm

Former New York Knicks great Charles Oakley on Friday accepted a deal to have charges stemming from a February incident at Madison Square Garden dismissed, but he left open the possibility of pursuing civil action against team owner James Dolan.

Oakley was arrested after a run-in with MSG security on Feb. 8 and charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing. He was also cited for two additional counts of harassment that are considered noncriminal violations.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20245520/charles-oakley-accepts-deal-dismiss-misdemeanor-charges-james-dolan-incident
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,011

Re: Charles Oakley accepts deal to dismiss misdemeanor charges 

Post#2 » by R-DAWG » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:34 pm

I really hope that the Oak Man presses civil charges against Dolan for defamation of character for calling him an alcoholic.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,574

Post#3 » by Meat » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:38 pm

great? lets not get carried away with the adjectives
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,631

Post#4 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:47 pm

Can't wait for the civil case.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#5 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Can't wait for the civil case.

More time for Oak to stay in the spotlight am I right?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#6 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:19 pm

Here's the T-shirt I would give to Dolan. For a "Super" guy!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:22 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Not really. I'm looking at it more from the "hanging James Dolan out to dry before the entire city of New York." I betcha there are a bunch of emails and memos re Oakley which are defamatory. Dolan made defamatory statements in public about Charles getting help for his alcohol problems. Oakley doesn't have any.

Dollars to donuts that Dolan settles.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#8 » by nedleeds » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:25 pm

Oakley doesn't want to have to give sworn testimony on his racist rant does he? It just makes Dolan look good and nobody wants that.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#9 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Not really. I'm looking at it more from the "hanging James Dolan out to dry before the entire city of New York." I betcha there are a bunch of emails and memos re Oakley which are defamatory. Dolan made defamatory statements in public about Charles getting help for his alcohol problems. Oakley doesn't have any.

This.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Post#10 » by RHODEY » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:44 pm

nedleeds wrote:Oakley doesn't want to have to give sworn testimony on his racist rant does he? It just makes Dolan look good and nobody wants that.

Maybe he doesn't want to play the race card :o
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#11 » by nedleeds » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:51 pm

Hahahha no Oak would never do that.

"'All you whites over there get your story straight. Why don’t you have some brothers over there with you? F--- all you white boys. Yeah make sure you all get your story straight"

I personally don't care that Oak doesn't like white people but having to admit it under oath just makes Dolan look good by extension. Like a victim. When he's really a spoiled rich child and a clown.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#12 » by kane2021 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:13 pm

Dolan will end up paying out. Regardless of how anyone feels about oaks actions that night. MSG security, the PR team, and Dolan himself handled it terribly. There's even evidence to suggest, evidence that they stupidly showed the public to justify their actions,.... that this was premeditated. If not actually entrapment.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#13 » by louieOrr » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:15 am

It was disgraceful what happened. I care if he hates white people though. He was one of my favorite Knicks, but that is an issue. Dolan was wrong for singling out Oakley, and allowing that to escalate into that situation. Only under Dolan would something like this happen. Shame on him.

Separately, if Oak does in fact hate white people, he's ignorant for that too. Races don't come from "pods" that are all pre-programed to act the same. Generalizations from all sides really suck. I hadn't heard about those comments from him. Disappointing. Sometimes people say things they don't mean out of anger. I hope that was the case. We should all remember that in life.

Edit: He's still staying on my sig though. I will always respect what he brought to the team. Even if it happens to be true that he hates my white azz lol
louieOrr
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by louieOrr » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:21 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

To your point Wingo (ive been thinking about this for awhile) there has got to be some dirt to get Dolan "Sterling'd"

Maybe a hottie Knick fan can take one for the team, go to one of his concerts and pose as a groupie who "really loves' his singing. She can seduce him and get all sorts of dirt on his azz. :)
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,925

Post#15 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:37 pm

louieOrr wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

To your point Wingo (ive been thinking about this for awhile) there has got to be some dirt to get Dolan "Sterling'd"

Maybe a hottie Knick fan can take one for the team, go to one of his concerts and pose as a groupie who "really loves' his singing. She can seduce him and get all sorts of dirt on his azz. :)
thats ridiculous...never has Dolan said anything that can be even construed as racist..instead of conflating the situation why don't we stick to what we know..
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
louieOrr
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by louieOrr » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:46 pm

knicks85 wrote:
louieOrr wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

thats ridiculous...never has Dolan said anything that can be even construed as racist..instead of conflating the situation why don't we stick to what we know..

Who said the dirt had to be a race issue? I say Sterling'd strictly because of his ousting, not what he did to get ousted.

Edit. And yes my post was ridiculous, that was kinda the point lol
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#17 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:51 pm

Dolan is a terrible owner. Oakley is an embarrassment himself. Don't care for neither one.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#18 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:58 pm

I love Oak and he deserved better treatment post retirement from the Knicks than he's received but I really couldn't care less about this issue right now.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#19 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:48 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I love Oak and he deserved better treatment post retirement from the Knicks than he's received but I really couldn't care less about this issue right now.

For me, anything that brings significant and public ridicule and embarrassment to James Dolan hopefully brings him closer to being "Sterling'd." You never know what juicy little nuggets we may find once Oak's lawyer starts digging.

At least that's my hope. Oops, there I go again, thinking of myself.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:55 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Dolan is a terrible owner. Oakley is an embarrassment himself. Don't care for neither one.

Dolan causes us a lot more problems for us than Oakley. Honestly, I would love to have Oakley as the asst. coach on defense. :D

Return to New York Knicks