ImageImageImageImageImage

'16-'17 3 Reasons why Knicks were bad on defense

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Re: '16-'17 3 Reasons why Knicks were bad on defense 

Post#101 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:10 pm

Knicks93 wrote:Shouldn't have been miscommunication. Should have been Rose, melo, and stupid fouls.

There's no ME in defense...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#102 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:21 pm

god shammgod wrote:you won't have better d until you have a coach who actually cares about it

Agreed.

A perfect example would be the Atlanta Hawks.

Previously, that roster had demonstrated no ability to make the playoffs. They went the San Antonio Spurs' route and became a consistent playoff contender.

Notice the guys who left their house haven't been impact players at all.

Remember when the Knicks' fans in this forum were flirting with Jeff Teague? Indiana Pacers won the Teague sweepstakes. After one season they couldn't wait to show him the door to Minnesota.

The Knicks' Front Office are fools. They fell in love with the Phoenix Suns' offense. They hired D'Antoni, then Jeff Hornacek. They invest in a Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah, and expect them to play 1 vs 5 defense with the other Knicks selectively helping out. Then the fans get their panties in a twist. That's not a defensive system.

Now, some Knick fans are under the impression Tim Hardaway Jr improved significantly. From the Hawk games I've watched, he's gotten better because he couldn't get any worse but he had help on the Hawks. Again, that was a system. He was still burned quite regularly when matched up against a decent guard.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#103 » by Greenie » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:24 pm

NYKAL wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

The type of guys I'm talking about...you would have seen it on the floor. They would have gotten in each others face during time outs, you've been around long enough to remember the 80's & 90's. We used to see that quite a bit.

That's because our best players wouldn't tolerate anybody slacking off on defense. Ewing and Oakley would've jacked Melo up on the court, true.

If a coach were to get in Melo's face for not playing defense, how do you think that would've played out?

I think if THAT were done behind closed door, Melo would have been a good soldier. But that is just my opinion and I doubt that ever happened. Pat Riley would have either made him play defense or sat his add down. Same with Pop.

Yep.

Thibs would have gotten in Melo's ass.
We really needed that "I don't give a fuq who you are" coach for Melo.
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#104 » by louieOrr » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:30 pm

Noah sure looked horrendous
louieOrr
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#105 » by louieOrr » Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:31 pm

BKlutch wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
BKlutch wrote:You're talking about great coaches. Why were they great? One (of many) reasons is that they cared more to instruct their players to do the right thing than they worried about their own sorry asses getting booted off the team. You have to have guts - in addition to basketball savvy, a stable, strong personality, and the right experience. You picked two great examples, and it's well known that even his holiness, Tim Duncan, was not above Pop. Nobody on his team was better than Riley.

This needs to come from the top of the organization and all the players need to buy in or get out.

not just the greats. Byron Scott would have done the same thing. Same with Thibs. From the piss poor Soott the the workaholic Thibs, they would both demand it of him.

We've had either poor coaches or coaches or player coaches like Woodson. Band aid coaches that were out of the depth or, didn't have the assistant coaching staff necessary.

Was van Gundy the last coach who did a good job with the Knicks? He left us at the start of the 2001 -2002 season. That's 16 years.

From a defensive standpoint, and from a success standpoint. I certainly do
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#106 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Aug 8, 2017 9:18 pm

Triple C wrote:Image

Timmy working with Wade

Longtime relationship since Tim was a kid and his pops was with the team.

Hopefully Wade showing him some vet tricks
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#107 » by fatalogic » Tue Aug 8, 2017 9:21 pm

For now I just hope we get a good defensive assistant coach and actually put together a game plan.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#108 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue Aug 8, 2017 11:45 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
JoeypopsNY wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
You play a guy at the wrong position and he sucks defensively. Who would have thought? Playing Melo at the 3 at this point is like playing KP at sg.

Wait so your excuse for a guy who has actually complained about play PF & cant defend that position either because he get over powered is your excuse. His natural position is SF. So you're analogy is incorrect. Its more like play KP at the 5 in which he still holds down his own because he tries. if your making 22 million a year then you should be able to guard up. I was 5'9 in high school guarding 6ft 5 dudes and guess who won that battle me. Not because I was better but because I had heart. Did I get beat sometimes hell yea even my ankles broken but in that same game I had 7 steals and got the last lauph because that same player tried to replicate the same ankle break and a player with knowledge and who studies there opposition and moves will come out on top.

Melo has always been bad on defense. It's not because he's actually bad its because he doesnt want to play defense and lack focus and doesnt care. If he can play defense on lebron james then there is no excuse besides hes a lazy iso chucking looser.

When he wins something other than in college then come give me a holler. Im tired of you fan boys saying well he won in college. So did Adam morrison. Also adam morrison was a nba championship I guess Adam is better in most of your eyes too. :lol: :lol:

How about this ill make someone a $100 bet that if he goes to the rockets there record will be worse or the same as last year.

You want a cookie for getting a steal in a high school game buddy?

Do you want a hug or a tissue for not making the team?
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#109 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue Aug 8, 2017 11:48 pm

NYKAL wrote:
JoeypopsNY wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:3 reasons why we'll still be bad on defense

rambis
rambis
rambis

+

Melo
Melo
Melo.

Has melo ever been on a average or top 7 defensive team ever?

doing whatever it takes to make this into a Melo hate thread :noway: derailing

Did you watch the video? I mean I did.

Your a melo love I understand its hard to accept reality that melo didnt pan out and he sucks but get over sucking up to him.
The video even underlined melo as a problem as to why the defense was bad. LMAO
Greenie
RealGM

Post#110 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:28 am

fatalogic wrote:For now I just hope we get a good defensive assistant coach and actually put together a game plan.

Rambis is still here. Watch him sabotage Jeff in the name of Phil. Jeff better watch his back.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#111 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:31 am

JoeypopsNY wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
JoeypopsNY wrote:

+

Melo
Melo
Melo.

Has melo ever been on a average or top 7 defensive team ever?

doing whatever it takes to make this into a Melo hate thread :noway: derailing

Did you watch the video? I mean I did.

Your a melo love I understand its hard to accept reality that melo didnt pan out and he sucks but get over sucking up to him.
The video even underlined melo as a problem as to why the defense was bad. LMAO

One player doesn't make a shity defense.
How is this hard to understand? Everyone sucked on defense. We didn't even practice it for most of the season. We were literally told we had no defensive scheme implemented to start the season by Courtney Lee and when we finally started working on our damn defense, all we practiced against was the fuqing triangle!
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#112 » by GEOLINK » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:08 am

Capn'O wrote:I had to watch some 90s footage just to get that foul taste out of my mouth.

After that XMas slide, Melo definitely didn't GAF last year.

I swear the downfall really started when Rose missed that game. I think they lost terribly that game as well.

Everything was looking like they were finally gelling and Rose was performing out of his mind and then it all went to **** and never recovered.

Return to New York Knicks