ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania).

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,260
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania). 

Post#201 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm

MrOrange wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Latvia has under 2 million citizens. Poland has about 38 million. How the heck does Latvia have so many decent players? They have slightly fewer people than Queens, NY.

It is team sport No: 1/2 in Latvia. On par with ice hockey. basketball is more accessible though. Probably most of Latvian families have a hoop in their backyard. Most of the regular kids have played at some sort of organized level up to student years and later for fun.

Who knew? We ought to used KP to scout out a few more decent players for us. I thought Smits #11 played a decent game there. One of their guards was playing poorly, but the other seemed decent. All in all, this is amazing for such a small country.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#202 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Haha Lithuania is huge compared to Latvia - almost 50% more people! (2.7 million)

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#203 » by MrOrange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

BKlutch wrote:The announcer is interviewing KP a LOOONG time. He's obviously the big star there, and the folks love him like we do. I hope they can get a stream of the NBA in Latvia.

Wed do a lot. Sleep deprived work the next day :)
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#204 » by MrOrange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:52 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Latvia has under 2 million citizens. Poland has about 38 million. How the heck does Latvia have so many decent players? They have slightly fewer people than Queens, NY.

It is team sport No: 1/2 in Latvia. On par with ice hockey. basketball is more accessible though. Probably most of Latvian families have a hoop in their backyard. Most of the regular kids have played at some sort of organized level up to student years and later for fun.

Who knew? We ought to used KP to scout out a few more decent players for us. I thought Smits #11 played a decent game there. One of their guards was playing poorly, but the other seemed decent. All in all, this is amazing for such a small country.

The staring five all play in very good European clubs. Some of the guys are still rusty at this moment. Should improve.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#205 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:55 pm

j4remi wrote:24 points (9/20) 12 rebs 2 steals 2 blocks in 27 minutes. +21 for those who like that ish.

The good:
- KP is getting a ton of practice being the screen man and the offense looked much more fluid running through his screen play.
- No fear shooting from him, hopefully he has the same aggressiveness with better teammates.
- Interior presence all night, coulda had more help blocks if there weren't foul calls on the main defenders.
- Made some heady kickouts to open men, but no one converted. Still good to see his head is up and on a swivel.
- Dude barely had to dribble but in one sequence he couldn't establish low post position, so he ran out to receive the ball. He turned, faced up and hit a hard cross-over to get himself to that deep post spot then proceeded to post his man up, bait the man in the air with a pump fake and sunk the close up shot off the glass. Great sequence all around. He showed ball handling, post play and soft touch to boot (his touch around the rack was strong all game).

The Bad:
- 4/8 from Ft line.
- 1/7 from the three point line.
- Was gangbusters early but his jumper got less consistent with fatigue, though he did turn in a massively clutch (both ends) last two mins when the game tied up.
- Not an insult to him, but he was getting so many easy looks that he rarely had to flash the depths of his game. So not a knock, but I wish he had more situations to get creative like the above post-up.

No need to worry about his FTs, but I do worry about him making his 3's at a good %. Overall, I'm pleased he was such a game changer. He really disrupted Poland's offense. I also worry that he consistently seems to be tired in the late 3rd and 4th quarter of games, but it wasn't that serious an effect this time.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#206 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm

MrOrange wrote:
BKlutch wrote:The announcer is interviewing KP a LOOONG time. He's obviously the big star there, and the folks love him like we do. I hope they can get a stream of the NBA in Latvia.

Wed do a lot. Sleep deprived work the next day :)

That happens to us with West Coast games, or we'll DVR them. I just thought KP looked great today, even though there were some aspects to his game that I think will improve by the start of the NBA season.

ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#207 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 pm

KP had a great game and his impact on both ends was noticeable to say the least. His shooting should improve with better adjustments and less physicality in his daily training camp routine
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#208 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Fouls are the biggest thing. He had like 1 or 2 fouls I think.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#209 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:05 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:KP had a great game and his impact on both ends was noticeable to say the least. His shooting should improve with better adjustments and less physicality in his daily training camp routine

I also think he hasn't been playing as much as he does before the season, so he's just a tiny bit rusty. Hopefully, before the opening game in October, he'll be in peak shape and his shot will be accurate again.

Still, he really looked good playing today. A very good 2 way game - just a teaser for the NBA season :lol:

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#210 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:Fouls are the biggest thing. He had like 1 or 2 fouls I think.

He committed 1 foul but was fouled 8 times. That's remarkable.

ChilledAlex
Sixth Man

Post#211 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm

BKlutch wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:KP had a great game and his impact on both ends was noticeable to say the least. His shooting should improve with better adjustments and less physicality in his daily training camp routine

I also think he hasn't been playing as much as he does before the season, so he's just a tiny bit rusty. Hopefully, before the opening game in October, he'll be in peak shape and his shot will be accurate again.

Still, he really looked good playing today. A very good 2 way game - just a teaser for the NBA season :lol:

Well gotta remember the competition he is playing against, so I'd be really upset if he didnt excell. I like that he is having more of a playmaker role in NT though, should help to elevate his game in NBA too.
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#212 » by April madness » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Well gotta remember the competition he is playing against, so I'd be really upset if he didnt excell. I like that he is having more of a playmaker role in NT though, should help to elevate his game in NBA too.

Yes, today the opponent wasn't the best, next week vs. Lithuania will be a true test as that team is much better.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man

Post#213 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 pm

April madness wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I also think he hasn't been playing as much as he does before the season, so he's just a tiny bit rusty. Hopefully, before the opening game in October, he'll be in peak shape and his shot will be accurate again.

Yes, today the opponent wasn't the best, next week vs. Lithuania will be a true test as that team is much better.

Yeah Lithuania is a team you can't beat with shooting so poor
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#214 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:26 pm

ChilledAlex wrote:
April madness wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

Yeah Lithuania is a team you can't beat with shooting so poor

I enjoyed the game without understanding the play by play, but if there were an English language broadcast, more people might really enjoy watching these games in the summer. I'm looking forward to Lithuania.

ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#215 » by ChaosHamster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:34 pm

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,616

Post#216 » by UcanUwill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Lithuania kinda sucks tho, doesn't seem like a powerhouse. Valanciunas plays like garbage, no decent PF, and long lasting PG woes remain. Kuzminskas arguably looks like the best Lithuanian player so far.
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#217 » by Hemispheres » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm

BKlutch wrote:

Remember Allan Houston? He was the worst I ever saw with that ****. Great shooter but every season it would take him like a month before he found his rhythm lol.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,926

Post#218 » by islanders11040 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:01 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:

sorry to be that guy but damn, DSJ/KP pick and roll would have been deadly.
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#219 » by Paija » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 pm

The whole team was not only rusty, but the 5 best players joined the team recently. Well, Porzingis joined earlier, but went to NBA Africa game and missed more than week of training camp and friendly games. So the core of Strelnieks (PG), Porzingis, Davis Bertans were playing together for the first time and they are just starting to get some chemistry.
Before the game there was interview with an assistant coach and the reporter was asking: how to distribute shots, if everyone of the starting five is used to have 15 shots on his team? It really is not an easy task.
But I liked that Kristaps was not only taking initiative but also looking for his teammates. There was one episode (which is not reflected in boxscore) where three defenders went to Kristaps and there was virtually a green light for Smits dunk.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,578

Post#220 » by Capn'O » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:R Smits been drafted yet? He looks decent

Oh, you're not joking...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks