ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania).

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Re: Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania). 

Post#581 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:22 am

ChaosHamster wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
magnumt wrote:So, I just got done reading the last few pages covering this game. Porzingis ended with 16/12 and 2 Assists.

...But the amount of micro managing and armchair coaching from posters hurt my head. :banghead:

--Mags :beer:

Agains non NBA players. KP should be putting up 25+ minimum against this competition.

He was guarded by JV, Motiejunas and Kuzminskas majority of the time. 8-)

None of which are known for their defense.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#582 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:37 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
Agains non NBA players. KP should be putting up 25+ minimum against this competition.

Well, yeah. That the point I was trying to make.. That even when you face NBA competition. It doesn't mean you are facing good defenders.

I'am pretty sure there are National teams with no NBA bigs, who play better defense than JV or Motiejunas or some other NBA bigs..
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#583 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 am

ChaosHamster wrote:
Well, yeah. That the point I was trying to make.. That even when you face NBA competition. It doesn't mean you are facing good defenders.

I'am pretty sure there are National teams with no NBA bigs, who play better defense than JV or Motiejunas or some other NBA bigs..

True, but then you got a 7 foot athletic monster waiting for you in the paint to block your shot. Athletes all around.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#584 » by ChaosHamster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:23 am

Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,400

Post#585 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 am

It feels good to say KP is playing again in 7 hours! Consecutive days of basketball fills my urges. :o
MartinsLusis
Senior
And1: 544

Post#586 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 am

Should be a much different story today. Also, we had one game canceled so that means that the starting 5 will play many minutes today no matter what the scoring difference will be as the head coach was worried that we won't have enough game time together.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,400

Post#587 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 am

MartinsLusis wrote:Should be a much different story today. Also, we had one game canceled so that means that the starting 5 will play many minutes today no matter what the scoring difference will be as the head coach was worried that we won't have enough game time together.

They had a friendly game cancelled?
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#588 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:Should be a much different story today. Also, we had one game canceled so that means that the starting 5 will play many minutes today no matter what the scoring difference will be as the head coach was worried that we won't have enough game time together.

Yes, the Czech Republic canceled one game behind closed doors. They will still play us with the fans in attendance but they had a game scheduled the day after to be played without media, fans etc.

The coach said it was a really important game (probably wanted to try out different schemes that will be played in the Eurobasket) and was very disappointed that it had to be cancelled.

They managed to organize a game in Ukraine but it won't be possible after all because NBA player insurance only allows pre-determined schedule in which the game against Ukraine wasn't planned. So they won't be going to Kiev after all because it wouldn't give them much if the 2 best players can't play.
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#589 » by April madness » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 am

MartinsLusis wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

Yes, the Czech Republic canceled one game behind closed doors. They will still play us with the fans in attendance but they had a game scheduled the day after to be played without media, fans etc.

The coach said it was a really important game (probably wanted to try out different schemes that will be played in the Eurobasket) and was very disappointed that it had to be cancelled.

They managed to organize a game in Ukraine but it won't be possible after all because NBA player insurance only allows pre-determined schedule in which the game against Ukraine wasn't planned. So they won't be going to Kiev after all because it wouldn't give them much if the 2 best players can't play.

I must have missed the news of the Ukrainian game cancelled too. Oh well, it sounded like the logistics would be very complicated, as the team had to be flying in Kiev with 2 separate flights... Our coaches probably unhappy as they would have wanted another game, I am sure. They all (players and coaches) say they have not gelled completely yet. Especially communication on defense still has to be improved.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#590 » by Sakkreth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:

Dmo was above average at the very least when he had good year with Houston, but Kuz actually did the best job on KP of the three in this game.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#591 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:34 am

April madness wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

I must have missed the news of the Ukrainian game cancelled too. Oh well, it sounded like the logistics would be very complicated, as the team had to be flying in Kiev with 2 separate flights... Our coaches probably unhappy as they would have wanted another game, I am sure. They all (players and coaches) say they have not gelled completely yet. Especially communication on defense still has to be improved.

Yes, they said it this morning. http://basket.lv/izlases/viriesi/valstsvieniba-pret-rumaniju-ar-pilnu-jaudu-speles-kijeva-tomer-nebus-4008

"Partneru pēkšņā atteikšanās no iepriekšējās norunas būtiski ietekmēja Latvijas valstsvienības gatavošanās plānus, tāpēc steigšus nācās meklēt alternatīvas iespējas aizvadīt vēl vienu pārbaudes spēli. Atsaucās Ukrainas izlases vadība, piedāvājot 22. augustā aizvadīt slēgtu spēli Kijevā. Diemžēl organizatorisko iemeslu dēļ (NBA spēlētāju apdrošināšanas noteikumos precīzi fiksēti notikumi, kuros apdrošināšana ir spēkā un šo grafiku nevar mainīt; vairāki spēlētāji nodevuši pases vīzu kārtošanai) Latvijas komanda uz Kijeva nevarētu doties pilnā sastāvā. Šādos apstākļos spēle nebūtu lielas nozīmes, tāpēc valstsvienības vadība nolēma ukraiņu ielūgumu tomēr neizmantot."
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#592 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:37 am

Sakkreth wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

Dmo was above average at the very least when he had good year with Houston, but Kuz actually did the best job on KP of the three in this game.

It helps a lot if you know the opposing player very well. But Kuz played a really decent game overall! That dunk on KP was savage.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,249

Post#593 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 pm

April madness wrote:KP highlights from the game
That hook shot! Need to take more of those.

Ah, was looking for this post that I read yesterday. I wanted to talk about this move and this play. I think lower down or in another thread someone was asking if KP ever featured the hook shot. I think it was after a very baby hook near the rim. Anyway, over the first two seasons KP's flashed a number of different hooks, but none with any regularity. But I recall a number of running hook layups, and a few baby jump hooks. I'm not sure if I recall this sort of running hook across the lane though. Now, mentioning the lack of regularity because I suspect that KP won't feature this move that much, which is a shame.

KP seems to use hooks almost like guards get creative with scoops and reverses etc on a layup - kind of creative option to finish a basket. I guess there are times when he's setting out to do it, no doubt. But a lot of the time it seems like a reaction to what the defense presents. Which is cool; shows it's pretty second nature to him.

I'd like to see it used as a deliberate weapon and this running hook in the lane is just the thing. Follow along. Ewing was raw offensively his first season or two. Not unskilled. Yes he could post. Definitely ahead of KP in that regard. But if memory serves, he'd post up and hit turnaround jumpers or face and hit jumpers. And really backing guys down in a dominant way I think was like season 4 on. But in between, he picked up the runner into the lane move from Bill Cartwright. It was one of his go to moves, so it was obvious where Pat got it from. Basically it started from where KP started his running hook - mid to 3/4 of the way up the paint but like 5 feet outside the paint. Pat would use his quickness relative to other centers (though Bill was mostly turning and getting either shoulder in the way), head to the paint crossing the floor sideline to sideline direction and get the shot off mid paint, lined up with the basket. You can see Pat had the great traditional post game in these clips, but it's also obvious, at least to me in a few clips, that the ability to do that runner had the D guessing, hedging, and led to ability to do other stuff. This is why I think it could be big for KP. IF he does it regularly enough. Hmm, I think it means KP would have to ISO a bit with the team spread out.

The Ewing move at 0:25 and a great KP centric example at 1:30

What would work for KP is a few things. One, I think you can use this sort of move without having to bang TOO much. It favors quickness. Height helps some. And shooting a hook makes it superior to the move Cartwright and Ewing did, because hook shot.

Don't get me wrong; not advocating as replacement for traditional post position/game. Those are more available more often. This one the defense has to be a little spread out and they certainly can game plan it if he did it all the time. But with KP having a nice ability to put the ball on the floor/crossover, keeping the defense guessing between "is it a running hook or is he just going to pull up for the jumper" would be pretty big.

Anyway, sort of over analysis, but it struck me how that move was a better version, because of the hard to block nature of the hook, of the first go to move that Ewing added to expand his offensive repertoire as a young big.

*edit - KP's hook at 0:31. Wow. He started that from the corner. Not sure that will fly in the NBA. In my mind he was closer to the hoop. Still, he could receive the ball in Ewing's traditional spot for the runner and do the same damage. In fact, against NBA defense, probably the one that will work.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#594 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Keep in mind that it's more difficult to score inside playing in Europe - the 3pt line is closer so everyone is much tighter in the paint and the International basketball doesn't have the 3 second rule on defense.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,359
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#595 » by BKlutch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
April madness wrote:KP highlights from the game
That hook shot! Need to take more of those.

Ah, was looking for this post that I read yesterday. I wanted to talk about this move and this play. I think lower down or in another thread someone was asking if KP ever featured the hook shot. I think it was after a very baby hook near the rim. Anyway, over the first two seasons KP's flashed a number of different hooks, but none with any regularity. But I recall a number of running hook layups, and a few baby jump hooks. I'm not sure if I recall this sort of running hook across the lane though. Now, mentioning the lack of regularity because I suspect that KP won't feature this move that much, which is a shame.

KP seems to use hooks almost like guards get creative with scoops and reverses etc on a layup - kind of creative option to finish a basket. I guess there are times when he's setting out to do it, no doubt. But a lot of the time it seems like a reaction to what the defense presents. Which is cool; shows it's pretty second nature to him.

I'd like to see it used as a deliberate weapon and this running hook in the lane is just the thing. Follow along. Ewing was raw offensively his first season or two. Not unskilled. Yes he could post. Definitely ahead of KP in that regard. But if memory serves, he'd post up and hit turnaround jumpers or face and hit jumpers. And really backing guys down in a dominant way I think was like season 4 on. But in between, he picked up the runner into the lane move from Bill Cartwright. It was one of his go to moves, so it was obvious where Pat got it from. Basically it started from where KP started his running hook - mid to 3/4 of the way up the paint but like 5 feet outside the paint. Pat would use his quickness relative to other centers (though Bill was mostly turning and getting either shoulder in the way), head to the paint crossing the floor sideline to sideline direction and get the shot off mid paint, lined up with the basket. You can see Pat had the great traditional post game in these clips, but it's also obvious, at least to me in a few clips, that the ability to do that runner had the D guessing, hedging, and led to ability to do other stuff. This is why I think it could be big for KP. IF he does it regularly enough. Hmm, I think it means KP would have to ISO a bit with the team spread out.

The Ewing move at 0:25 and a great KP centric example at 1:30

What would work for KP is a few things. One, I think you can use this sort of move without having to bang TOO much. It favors quickness. Height helps some. And shooting a hook makes it superior to the move Cartwright and Ewing did, because hook shot.

Don't get me wrong; not advocating as replacement for traditional post position/game. Those are more available more often. This one the defense has to be a little spread out and they certainly can game plan it if he did it all the time. But with KP having a nice ability to put the ball on the floor/crossover, keeping the defense guessing between "is it a running hook or is he just going to pull up for the jumper" would be pretty big.

Anyway, sort of over analysis, but it struck me how that move was a better version, because of the hard to block nature of the hook, of the first go to move that Ewing added to expand his offensive repertoire as a young big.

*edit - KP's hook at 0:31. Wow. He started that from the corner. Not sure that will fly in the NBA. In my mind he was closer to the hoop. Still, he could receive the ball in Ewing's traditional spot for the runner and do the same damage. In fact, against NBA defense, probably the one that will work.

Great ideas, all of them. I think he could occasionally do that hook in the NBA when the east-west passing lane is open. But it all depends on our big-man coach working with him on this stuff. Who is that going to be, Rambis????

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#596 » by Tron Carter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 pm

what's good with willy? haven't seen him mentioned at all in this thread..
R.I.P Black Mamba
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,249

Post#597 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Tron Carter wrote:what's good with willy? haven't seen him mentioned at all in this thread..

I think he had sort of a crap first game and plays today. What time the game is EST, I have no idea
April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#598 » by April madness » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:what's good with willy? haven't seen him mentioned at all in this thread..

I think he had sort of a crap first game and plays today. What time the game is EST, I have no idea

If I understood correctly, Spain vs Venezuela starts one and a half hour later than Latvia's match, so they might not overlap too much. Hopefully streams will be available.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,710

Post#599 » by UcanUwill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:And good luck to our braliukas Lithuanians at the Eurobasket! Don't worry, you will do fine at the end!

P.S. It's really sad watching Valančiunas playing at the level he's playing now. He was much better, more versatile when he went to the NBA. I guess he just started lifting too much weight at the gym and lost his speed and agility that way.

Only if he lifted like crazy. He just started eating, nothing about his body screams lifter. He supposed to be Lithuania's next big star, but now looks closer to middle of the pack player more than anything. Porzingis is much better already, which is kinda crazy when you remember how dominant Valanciunas was at junior tournaments back in the day.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#600 » by MartinsLusis » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:31 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:And good luck to our braliukas Lithuanians at the Eurobasket! Don't worry, you will do fine at the end!

P.S. It's really sad watching Valančiunas playing at the level he's playing now. He was much better, more versatile when he went to the NBA. I guess he just started lifting too much weight at the gym and lost his speed and agility that way.

Only if he lifted like crazy. He just started eating, nothing about his body screams lifter. He supposed to be Lithuania's next big star, but now looks closer to middle of the pack player more than anything. Porzingis is much better already, which is kinda crazy when you remember how dominant Valanciunas was at junior tournaments back in the day.

He is quite strong though. He bangs with NBA biggest bodies in the paint. But it's crazy, yes. Not as crazy as our Biedrins once was - he just got mentally tired of basketball and didn't even try on the court, lost his confidence and ended career while being only 28 years old.

Return to New York Knicks