ImageImageImageImageImage

You are GM of the Knicks, now what?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

oldtimer28
Sophomore
And1: 76

You are GM of the Knicks, now what? 

Post#1 » by oldtimer28 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 pm

How will you return to the Knicks 90s success?

What will your teams identity be?

eg. Assume warriors have dominance 5 years, so you tank? Then compete with the up and comers by then (eg celtics, 76ers, wolves* hard to write that.)

Would you be happier with a young team of potential or a win now veteran squad of Lebron, Melo, Wade, and Paul for instance (sorry, no KP.)

I think NYC deserves win now as they have been patient too long, but are fans even more patient than this?
Author | Yogi | Basketball fan

Please Follow me on instagram. [Grant Napear voice] “if you don’t like that, you don’t like NBA basketball!"

@feelbetterpublishing
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Re: You are GM of the Knicks, now what? 

Post#2 » by NYKnicksFTW » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 pm

I don't know what's being offered for Carmelo, so I can't comment

What I will say is that we should invite Trey Burke and Diamond Stone to camp

Tank this year for Bagley III, Porter Jr. and Doncic. Tank next year for RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson. All of a sudden, our future is bright af
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#3 » by Sark » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Not looking for 90s Knicks success. Rather have 70s Knicks success. The team needs to grow organically. No quick fixes. No to Melo, Lebron, Paul, or any other pipe dream you had a few hours ago when you thought of this.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#4 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 am

Stock up on weed...gonna need it....
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,223

Post#5 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 am

I do what's being pushed now. Rebuild. There is ZERO path to a title through FA. No one is coming here. Melo been here for years...who came to play and win here? No one.

If Melo insists on Houston and Houston doesn't offer value...play Melo 24 minutes a night max. Period. He can suck wind. Expand your list...get Houston to pay up...or opt out. Your playing time will be limited. Wouldn't want you get hurt and think about opting in. It's over.

As for team identity. Tough defense. Efficient scoring. Player and ball movement based offense that looks to get out in transition more than half court sets. Mandatory to save any ISO for the last few seconds in the shot clock. Play around your talent. Draft and sign players that fit. Don't try the square peg round hole nonsense. Defense first. I hate players that score and can't defend. Of course you have to have one or two. Points are important. :nod:
:beer: RIP mags
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,260
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#6 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 am

If I'm GM of the Knicks? That's easy!

I'm rich -- I'm going to Disneyland!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#7 » by DOT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 am

Step 1: Tell Melo I'm benching him

Step 2: Let it be known I'm shopping KP

Step 3: Get fired

Step 4: Collect paycheck
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
oldtimer28
Sophomore

Post#8 » by oldtimer28 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:11 am

BKlutch wrote:If I'm GM of the Knicks? That's easy!

How much do GMs typically get paid (especially first timers?)

On a lighter note, maybe a Charles Oakley GM reality tv show...

Please Follow me on instagram. [Grant Napear voice] “if you don’t like that, you don’t like NBA basketball!"

@feelbetterpublishing
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#9 » by NY2TheBay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:46 am

K-DOT wrote:Step 1: Tell Melo I'm benching him

Step 2: Let it be known I'm shopping KP

Step 3: Get fired

Step 4: Collect paycheck

Phil? You listen to Kendrick?
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#10 » by NYKnicks6 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 am

oldtimer28 wrote:How will you return to the Knicks 90s success?

eg. Assume warriors have dominance 5 years, so you tank? Then compete with the up and comers by then (eg celtics, 76ers, wolves* hard to write that.)

Would you be happier with a young team of potential or a win now veteran squad of Lebron, Melo, Wade, and Paul for instance (sorry, no KP.)

I think NYC deserves win now as they have been patient too long, but are fans even more patient than this?

Care to elaborate? Signing and trading for guys like:
A Houston (last contract)
Antonio Mcdyess
Marbury
Crawford
Penny Hardaway
Eddie Curry
Amare
Melo
are all win now moves..... Being patient is the absolute last thing this franchise has done...
oldtimer28
Sophomore

Post#11 » by oldtimer28 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:58 am

NYKnicks6 wrote:

Antonio Mcdyess
Marbury
Crawford
Penny Hardaway
Eddie Curry
Amare
Melo
are all win now moves..... Being patient is the absolute last thing this franchise has done...

The only move I did not loathe was Melo - at the time.

Now, all the moves look foolish.

It's like the Tim Hardaway signing (no disrespect), are any of those players really championship makers.

Maybe Melo, but even Lebron has needed a LOT of help.

@feelbetterpublishing
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#12 » by MadGrinch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:35 am

NYKnicks6 wrote:

Antonio Mcdyess
Marbury
Crawford
Penny Hardaway
Eddie Curry
Amare
Melo

i dont know that trading for crawford belongs on that list , he was 23 and the knicks traded trash to get him...he was also signed to a rather reasonable contract
Its because I'm green isn't it?
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#13 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 pm

oldtimer28 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:If I'm GM of the Knicks? That's easy!

How much do GMs typically get paid (especially first timers?)

On a lighter note, maybe a Charles Oakley GM reality tv show...

They earn $1M - $3M, although last year Phil's salary was $12M (I know he was president, but he did a lot of the GM stuff). That's above my pay grade, so first thing I'd do would be to have a bit of fun :lol:

Charles Oakley - I always thought he'd be a great assistant coach to work with the front line and toughen them up. But that's not very likely because his war with Dolan is ongoing.

On a lighter note, why is oldtimer a newbie?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#14 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:

Antonio Mcdyess
Marbury
Crawford
Penny Hardaway
Eddie Curry
Amare
Melo

I dont know that trading for crawford belongs on that list , he was 23 and the knicks traded trash to get him...he was also signed to a rather reasonable contract

The problem is that he got better after we traded him. Then some people here started calling him "Crawful."

This shows me that the problem is also even if we do get a guy with some potential, having a "win now" mentality means we don't keep guys long enough to let them develop their potential with us. I'm concerned about KP, Willy, Frank... I hope Scott Perry thinks more like we do. Because at the end of the season when we didn't make the playoffs, even if it seems we're in good shape for the future, many fans are going to be screaming for him to be replaced before there's a chance for things to work out.

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,396

Post#15 » by god shammgod » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 pm

i'm just gonna hang out for 2 years and collect my check for the next 3 years after like everybody else does.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Priority #1 has to be find a star/future star that compliments KP well, then build around them. Draft may be the best place to find one which is why tanking this year may be our best bet. Other shot might be free agency if we can plan for it. Not easy and you need luck for both, but thats the way it is. Need to plan and increase your chances to get lucky.

In the meantime, trade all vets if we can get something decent (Lee, KOQ, Lance, etc)....melo obviously too but that's a tough one.

Its also why i hate overpaying role players like Timmy. Hurts flexibility. Its easier to get those type of guys after you have the main core....a championship caliber main core really needs to be top tier talent. Role players are much replaceable and less valuable on lotto teams which is why we always regret those types of signings, then feel jaded when they leave and win championships.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#17 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Priority #1 has to be find a star/future star that compliments KP well, then build around them. Draft may be the best place to find one which is why tanking this year may be our best bet. Other shot might be free agency if we can plan for it. Not easy and you need luck for both, but thats the way it is. Need to plan and increase your chances to get lucky.

In the meantime, trade all vets if we can get something decent (Lee, KOQ, Lance, etc)....melo obviously too but that's a tough one.

Its also why i hate overpaying role players like Timmy. Hurts flexibility. Its easier to get those type of guys after you have the main core....a championship caliber main core really needs to be top tier talent.

Here's the problem with drafting a young star to put around KP - many fans, and our front office for many years, didn't have the patience to wait for those young stars to develop into real all stars to win for us. This would take a kind of intelligence and patience we haven't seen before around here.

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#18 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:36 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Priority #1 has to be find a star/future star that compliments KP well, then build around them. Draft may be the best place to find one which is why tanking this year may be our best bet. Other shot might be free agency if we can plan for it. Not easy and you need luck for both, but thats the way it is. Need to plan and increase your chances to get lucky.

Its also why i hate overpaying role players like Timmy. Hurts flexibility. Its easier to get those type of guys after you have the main core....a championship caliber main core really needs to be top tier talent.

Here's the problem with drafting a young star to put around KP - many fans, and our front office for many years, didn't have the patience to wait for those young stars to develop into real all stars to win for us. This would take a kind of intelligence and patience we haven't seen before around here.

Yup, totally agree. Its been a huge problem and its a big concern with Frank....its even a concern with KP as he was even being shopped. Most players need a few years and its easy to give up when things go bad.

I just see it as the best option right now. We have also been much better finding players in the draft then free agency and trades. The good thing is that its been awhile since we have traded any picks. Would like to see us take that further and try to pick up some more future picks in trades and invest more into the draft. Hopefully Mills/Perry have that kind of intelligence and patience. It is tough to pull off. But if pulled off the fans will def get behind an exciting young team.

Guess we will see.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#19 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Yup, totally agree. Its been a huge problem and its a big concern with Frank....its even a concern with KP as he was even being shopped. Most players need a few years and its easy to give up when things go bad.

I just see it as the best option right now. We have also been much better finding players in the draft then free agency and trades. The good thing is that its been awhile since we have traded any picks. Would like to see us take that further and try to pick up some more future picks in trades and invest more into the draft. Hopefully Mills/Perry have that kind of intelligence and patience. It is tough to pull off. But if pulled off the fans will def get behind an exciting young team.

Guess we will see.

This - yes.

Also, it's kind of crazy to understand why Dolan doesn't have patience. He has sold out the garden for years, no matter how badly we've played. So why not tolerate some time for the team to develop as a unit and grow organically with good picks? I want to see this so badly in our front office. We have an opening - Cleveland is about to implode, Toronto isn't great, and Boston hasn't shown they can turn their assets into a contender. They may, but wouldn't it be cool to have a Boston - NY rivalry in the East for years to come?

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#20 » by dakomish23 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
NYKnicks6 wrote:

Antonio Mcdyess
Marbury
Crawford
Penny Hardaway
Eddie Curry
Amare
Melo

i dont know that trading for crawford belongs on that list , he was 23 and the knicks traded trash to get him...he was also signed to a rather reasonable contract

"Obviously Jamal is the best player in this deal, and it's not easy giving up a young talent like that," Bulls general manager John Paxson said. "The way that we looked at it is there were certain things we needed to get. We had to get substantial
financial (relief) and this gives us some flexibility."

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1853011

3rd biggest market and they got the cheapest owner in the NBA. Smh.

You're doing a full rebuild. Why would you sell the 38th pick????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks